g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Antony image 21

Antony Brazil flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

poleglass red

Alternatively, we could use Shaw and Dalot to pump in the crosses instead. Get Rashy and Antony to stretch their fullbacks and create space and time for them to provide the centres
That's not really either of their natural game though. Funny one, because when Shaw wants to, he does have a good cross, we just don't see it enough. There is that room for full backs to attack though, especially on Antonys wing as he naturally wants to cut inside. I'm not sure any of our full backs in Dalot, Shaw, AWB and Malacia are the types that will get to byline and whip in teasing crosses.

Bondi77

that was perhaps his best game for us. what he does is, he provides an outlet and recycles possession. In a team with Rasford and Bruno this is a nice counter balance to them, as more often than not, they lose possession. The problem with him, is he cost 80 million. People expect more for that kind of outlay. We have to be careful with our next striker purchase as, he will get very little service from either of our wingers, whipping in crosses is nether Antony or Rashford's game.
I agree, I thought that was his best game but I only see the Premier League ones.

jem

Article on the Guardian today about how Antony's lack of form could be a problem for United - strange since it seems like he's been turning a corner recently.

Sylar

Out against Leeds due to injury picked up from the initial clash on the weekend where casemiro got that red card.
Always find it funny that rules dictate casemiro had the worse action than schlupp

Real Name

Out against Leeds due to injury picked up from the initial clash on the weekend where casemiro got that red card.
Always find it funny that rules dictate casemiro had the worse action than schlupp
Even worse when you think people blamed Antony for Casemiro red.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Article on the Guardian today about how Antony's lack of form could be a problem for United - strange since it seems like he's been turning a corner recently.
This bit surprised me, and worried me a little. Is this true!?

”Despite Ajax’s dominance last season – they scored 98 goals on their way to winning the Eredivisie – Antony provided just four assists”

jem

”Despite Ajax’s dominance last season – they scored 98 goals on their way to winning the Eredivisie – Antony provided just four assists”
A bit concerning but I always feel assists can be a bit misleading - maybe he was the guy making the passes before the assists?

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers

That is a surprising stat. Just checked and it says 8 goals and 4 assists in 23 games

Bwuk

We’ll miss him. Hopefully a chance for Sancho to find his feet again.

El Jefe

Even more evidence that he's not a creative player. His CL games vs Dortmund and Sporting were an outlier.

This is why I've constantly said in here that posters somehow believing he'll become a chance creating machine are in dreamland. He's shown consistently the type of player he is.

4 assists in the dutch league last season and none in the PL this sesson. That can't just be written off as him being a young player. Garnacho has two assists in the PL already in about 700 less minutes.

At Ajax, Antony showed he could be a cog in a functioning attacking team and that's the best we can hope for here. He'll never be a player that is the difference maker.

Tony247

A bit concerning but I always feel assists can be a bit misleading - maybe he was the guy making the passes before the assists?
Looking at his game so far I doubt he passed much other than 5 yard passes. Not surprised with his stats.

florisW

Supports
Ajax
Looking at his game so far I doubt he passed much other than 5 yard passes. Not surprised with his stats.
the unfounded hate baffles me. It is like some of you want him to fail. it is his first season for god sake. DO you trust TenHag? Ten hag knew what he was getting when he bought him. Maybe you should scold Erik?.

podurban2

the unfounded hate baffles me. It is like some of you want him to fail. it is his first season for god sake. DO you trust TenHag? Ten hag knew what he was getting when he bought him. Maybe you should scold Erik?.
It baffles me how our own fans love to criticise one of our players. Some of these anti-Antony posters post more here than they do anywhere else. Only negative toxic posts as well.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Even worse when you think people blamed Antony for Casemiro red.
If he hadn't kicked off then the red wouldn't have happened. Doesn't make it directly his fault but dealing with problems upstream so they don't occur in the first place is just basic intelligence. We were two up and in control of the game. Getting sucked into their shithousery was stupid and almost handed them points.

I say that as someone who really likes Antony. If he turns his obvious skill into better product he is going to be great. Patience is required.

Real Name

If he hadn't kicked off then the red wouldn't have happened. Doesn't make it directly his fault but dealing with problems upstream so they don't occur in the first place is just basic intelligence. We were two up and in control of the game. Getting sucked into their shithousery was stupid and almost handed them points.

I say that as someone who really likes Antony. If he turns his obvious skill into better product he is going to be great. Patience is required.
He was pushed and it kicked of while he was on the ground... Players ran to defend their teammate from a dangerous tackle and a push and it was great to see, they showed they wont just watch their teammate being pushed around.

dutchred

That is a surprising stat. Just checked and it says 8 goals and 4 assists in 23 games
Statistics can lie. Shame we can't see who provided the crosses/passes for the guy who provided the assist by just heading it or tapping to the eventual goal scorer

lex talionis

First season growing pains of course. I’m on board with Antony but he really does to have to develop another move beyond cutting back to left every single time.

El Jefe

It baffles me how our own fans love to criticise one of our players. Some of these anti-Antony posters post more here than they do anywhere else. Only negative toxic posts as well.
Posters should post what they see and feel not what they think makes them sound like a good fan. Antony has done nothing to offend me in my personal life, all the criticism he has received so far is due to what he's produced on the pitch.

Lisandro Martinez thread is full of absolute praise and they both joined in the summer from the same club. Martinez had hundreds of posts about his height and fit for the PL upon joining and now those posts don't exist. He ended the criticism by proving how good he was.

Antony needs to do the same. There's a lot of pressure and high standards playing for Manchester United, especially as a winger, he and posters who don't like the criticism need to accept that.

Sylar

You mean if he wasn't pushed down then it wouldn't have started? Cos it started before he got back up and involved...

Malone_Post

Nani had 4 goals in all competitions in his first season :houllier:

Flop
4 goals and 14 assists. The latter of which you conveniently decided to omit, because it wouldn't support your ridiculous narrative.
Incredible :lol:

Cos it started before he got back up and involved...
It didn’t really though did it? There’s a fan video on Twitter which I can’t post as a newbie…but it shows that United players came over but it only kicked off when Antony went charging in. The red card wasn’t his fault, that was Casimero’s stupidity. But Antony played a huge role in the whole incident kicking off in the way it did. Had he just stayed down the Palace player would have probably been booked and that was it. But he went charging in to start a fight.

ChaddyP

WTF? :lol: he literally got wiped out downhill into the advertisement board and that's him getting "sucked in" . surely you cant mean that

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He was pushed and it kicked of while he was on the ground... Players ran to defend their teammate from a dangerous tackle and a push and it was great to see, they showed they wont just watch their teammate being pushed around.
Looks like he started the physical stuff to me (though he was fouled for sure.) The other players surrounded then he went in with his chest. Am I being unfair here?

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Statistics can lie. Shame we can't see who provided the crosses/passes for the guy who provided the assist by just heading it or tapping to the eventual goal scorer
Exactly. Just found the figure surprising for a highly regarded winger in a title winning team that scored 98 goals.

acnumber9

It shouldn’t come as that big a surprise from watching him. He’s in the 14th percentile for key passes this season. He ranks number 146 for expected assists per this site.

https://one-versus-one.com/en/ranki...player_id=924639&page=5&age_min=16&age_max=40

He’s just not a creative player.

Tony247

Calm down Stan. No one is hating your beloved Antony. I was only talking about his footballing skills, nothing personal. He is safe as he should be. Give him my regards next time he meets you, assuming you two know each other considering your attachment to him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't have a feeling he's out of form. Seems to be playing sightly better than earlier in the season if anything. The only difference is he's not scoring/assisting but we knew he wasn't that type of player when we got him (playing for a dominant team in much weaker league), so that shouldn't be the expectation for Antony anyway. He didn't score 3 goals in first 3 games because he was in great form.

Real Name

Looks like he started the physical stuff to me (though he was fouled for sure.) The other players surrounded then he went in with his chest. Am I being unfair here?

A bit yeah cause if you look closely Casemiro first pushed Schupp. In any case whoever started it to blame Antony for Casemiro's actions is ridiculous.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Footballers are so silly. Okay, I will pretend to have nearly died and lay really still. Ah, feck, handbags time, get uuuuup!

Sylar

Incredible :lol:

It didn’t really though did it? There’s a fan video on Twitter which I can’t post as a newbie…but it shows that United players came over but it only kicked off when Antony went charging in. The red card wasn’t his fault, that was Casimero’s stupidity. But Antony played a huge role in the whole incident kicking off in the way it did. Had he just stayed down the Palace player would have probably been booked and that was it. But he went charging in to start a fight.

I dunno as @Real Name says cass pushes first. I have no issues with them coming over. It was good to see them protecting a mate / colleague. Think if casemiro has his hands more on his shoulders , nothing happens. That's on casemiro
And also the var for just picking that single moment for the on field ref to view from one angle with a two second back and forth clip. Don't think we can blame Antony for casemiros red.

Footballers are so silly. Okay, I will pretend to have nearly died and lay really still. Ah, feck, handbags time, get uuuuup!
Also this. Antony needs to get up straight away if he's gonna do this or just stay down imo. I feel like he was gonna stay down then heard something and thought feck it I'll show you.

These are interesting comments from Eth.

Bondi77

Posters should post what they see and feel not what they think makes them sound like a good fan. Antony has done nothing to offend me in my personal life, all the criticism he has received so far is due to what he's produced on the pitch.

Lisandro Martinez thread is full of absolute praise and they both joined in the summer from the same club. Martinez had hundreds of posts about his height and fit for the PL upon joining and now those posts don't exist. He ended the criticism by proving how good he was.

Antony needs to do the same. There's a lot of pressure and high standards playing for Manchester United, especially as a winger, he and posters who don't like the criticism need to accept that.
Spot on mate
One of the best posts I have read in a while.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I dunno as @Real Name says cass pushes first. I have no issues with them coming over. It was good to see them protecting a mate / colleague. Think if casemiro has his hands more on his shoulders , nothing happens. That's on casemiro
And also the var for just picking that single moment for the on field ref to view from one angle with a two second back and forth clip. Don't think we can blame Antony for casemiros red.

Also this. Antony needs to get up straight away if he's gonna do this or just stay down imo. I feel like he was gonna stay down then heard something and thought feck it I'll show you.

These are interesting comments from Eth.
I also don't think we can blame Antony for Casemiro red, it was a bit daft behavior from Case (putting his hands around the throat, even if this wasn't anything dangerous it makes it easy for the Ref to punish him). But Antony ignited the fight so we just need to be careful because this might lead to similar situations in the future.
The fight might have started anyway, so Antony is not to blame here. However, there are major consequences to this "incident" so we need to be careful not to make this easy for the opponents in the future to put us off balance. I think once Antony was bullied (what looked pretty serious) he should just stay down and the consequences are on Palace player.

It's silly to criticize Antony/Casemiro sitting in a chair and analyzing the whole situation post-game, but we just need to make sure this does not happen in the future. The danger is that United players are the more "ignited" group for obvious reasons so if that's not Casemiro then someone else does something stupid. It's just about not getting into those situations in the first place.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Comments from ETH are a bit worrying, the last thing we need is another injury with the busy schedule coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.