Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
What I can't stand from him is his whimpishness. In the first half yesterday he got clipped and even as he was falling he was waving his hand towards the bench as if he had a double fracture or lost his leg somewhere on the pitch, only to be up and running again with no problem 30 seconds later. These moves really do cloud my judgements on players.

I want to get onboard but I just can't with these types of players.

Wilt

What I can't stand from him is his whimpishness. In the first half yesterday he got clipped and even as he was falling he was waving his hand towards the bench as if he had a double fracture or lost his leg somewhere on the pitch, only to be up and running again with no problem 30 seconds later. These moves really do cloud my judgements on players.

I want to get onboard but I just can't with these types of players.
Agreed, fecking awful attitude ….can’t stand cheating.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Has to take his chances . Salah or Mahrez isn't missing the chances that has fallen to him. I am willing to give a free pass this season but in reality, we would have wrapped up top 4 by now had he took his chances earlier.

Bobski

He's vastly more talented than some of the key players during Fergie's reign, and has a strong attitude. He'll be fine, and he's the least of our problems. People saying a right-winger needs X/Y contributions - we've not had a right-winger for about a decade that does that, so I'm still happy enough.
Such as?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Imagine if Sancho had Antony’s attitude and aggression. What a player he’d be.
He'd be much better but honestly think he's very over rated personally. Even when he was tearing it up for Dortmund, in his odd England appearance around the same time he didn't do much.

The bundesliga just isn't the barometer for success. Werner, Havertz and Sancho were class the season before they came here. None of them have worked out.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Picking a random time period: Fortune, Richardson, Kleberson, Eagles, O'Shea etc. Pure skill wise he's ahead of players like Alan Smith and tbh even a regular like Park. I really don't think technique/talent/ability are his issues. We're just not a very functional attack right now.

Put him in with Ronaldo and Rooney and I think we'd have a very different impression.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He'd be much better but honestly think he's very over rated personally. Even when he was tearing it up for Dortmund, in his odd England appearance around the same time he didn't do much.

The bundesliga just isn't the barometer for success. Werner, Havertz and Sancho were class the season before they came here. None of them have worked out.
….but Bellingham? :)

The United

He seemed to have stopped attempting to fight any LB from the other teams already in the game after ETH stated that he needed to regulate his emotions properly. I believe he will continue to progress. He has the potential to be a very good player for us if he continues to listen to the coaching staff.

Bobski

Picking a random time period: Fortune, Richardson, Kleberson, Eagles, O'Shea etc. Pure skill wise he's ahead of players like Alan Smith and tbh even a regular like Park. I really don't think technique/talent/ability are his issues. We're just not a very functional attack right now.

Put him in with Ronaldo and Rooney and I think we'd have a very different impression.
Don't think any of those could be called key players, outside of O'Shea and Park, and they were more utility types. Was thinking you would be looking at key starters.

I think he will be productive next season while still retaining many of the same flaws, just need to get the balance right of the front 3 and those flaws become less important.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Lets be real he has been very underwhelming for the price tag and hype surrounding him. He gets outshone by a younger and less experienced Garnacho. He has been useful but not good enough for the moment.
Sancho also needed time and he was also supposedly world class so I’m not automatically optmistic for improvement though it is always possible.
You see Antony do amazing things on the pitch only to let himself down with bad decision making or technical overreach. I think there's a decent chance of him turning into a world class player with proper coaching. Frustrating as he can be right now, he's an absolute keeper.

TheRedHearted

Play him as RB and either sign a new winger or put Amad there. May sign ridiculous but I do think ten Hag can tweak him a little more. He is lacking confidence but also he thinks he’s entitled to score in my opinion. When you come from a mindset of entitlement as opposed to trusting it’ll happen and playng as a team mate (which he clearly did for the goal) but when we could have made it two 1 i have no idea what he did

Malkovich

I haven't seen him beating a full back on the outside this season and I have seen most games. He certainly needs to do it much more before he is classed a good winger. The price we paid for him is ridiculous.
He literally did it yesterday., Early in the game when he beat Toti on the outside and then passed it to Wan Bissaka in the box

Robert

Talk about glass half empty ffs. He was the guy who created the opening goal and threatened the most.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Anything positive from our team goes through him or Bruno. Even if he fails, he still continues trying and on top of that he works so hard for the team.

More than anything, he just needs to improve his decision making. He could have finished the game with at least 3 assists if he made better decisions.

I see an improving player that is slowly adapting to the league.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The big difference between him and Sancho is that one very proactive and aggressive, the other one is soft and not proactive enough. Hence why I have more confidence in Antony than in Sancho that Antony will have future in here.

hmchan

Technical ability is only one of the attributes you need in professional football. Mental and physical ability also matter. This is why many YouTube freestylers can't make into professional games.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He is starting to show variety in his shooting and dribbling, these are promising signs tbh. It's a matter of whether, we as a fanbase, can be patient with his development or not.

Technical ability is only one of the attributes you need in professional football. Mental and physical ability also matter. This is why many YouTube freestylers can't make into professional games.
Very well said, I'd even say that the mental part is THE most important aspect of things

Kingofwinners

Not saying he’s the next Ronaldo, but it’s easy to forget that Ronaldo faced much of the same criticism in his early seasons, poor finishing, low end product, went down too easy etc. He obviously was at a higher standard and fixed it at an earlier age. Point is good coaching can fix these issues, his natural talent, good positioning and motivation are excellent. I think he’s going to be a super player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m glad you noticed that both mental and physical ability are strengths for Antony. He’s strong for his size, has great balance, is quick, obviously has a lot of self belief and is aggressive and determined. These are all great qualities to have.

Lentwood

Honestly dont see what all the fuss is about, I think he's a great signing.

It feels like there's a certain type of poster who has it out for any player we spend big money on. Usually this type of poster wrote something like "wow, we overpaid so much, we should have signed Zanzibar Goranisovic from Hamburg instead for £8.3m" shortly after we announced the signing and is now desperate to be confirmed "right" in their opinion.

I am confident that Anthony is both a very good player now and will only get better too

pacifictheme

I am not sure I would say great signing yet, but I definitely see a lot of potential there.

The most impressive thing for me is that his attitude has for the vast majority of the time, been really good. He works really hard off the ball which is incredibly unusual for a flair player.

He gets into the right positions a lot which is a good sign. He's still young and I expect a bit improvement next season once we get a proper striker and he's gotta season under his belt. 20 goals and assists combined would be what I hope for.

poleglass red

Hate using excuses for players, but I want to see him play with a genuine number 9. I think that will help him immensely, plus the experience this season will stand him in good stead. Let's be honest he's been average at best. There has been enough flashes to suggest he could work, I also think a genuine attacking right full back will benefit his game. The amount of times he plays it to AWB in the attacking third in good positions. I can see why ETH is looking at the likes of Frimpong. Work in progress for sure, but next season with the right signings I think he could flourish.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's confusing people praising yesterday. He could have cost us the game considering how many chances he missed
The thing is that he played well except for those final balls. He was very dangerous and it wasn't a coincidence that so many good chances came directly from him. It was a step up and if he can take those positions and create those opportunities more often then most likely he will start scoring and assisting on a more regular basis.

mancan92

The thing is that he played well except for those final balls. He was very dangerous and it wasn't a coincidence that so many good chances came directly from him. It was a step up and if he can take those positions and create those opportunities more often then most likely he will start scoring and assisting on a more regular basis.
Maybe or maybe he has the same issue as the likes of adarma troare but without being half a dangerous one on one and never develops a final ball.

mancan92

Honestly dont see what all the fuss is about, I think he's a great signing.

It feels like there's a certain type of poster who has it out for any player we spend big money on. Usually this type of poster wrote something like "wow, we overpaid so much, we should have signed Zanzibar Goranisovic from Hamburg instead for £8.3m" shortly after we announced the signing and is now desperate to be confirmed "right" in their opinion.

I am confident that Anthony is both a very good player now and will only get better too
How has he been very good. The output is a joke for a player in his position.

Matt851

Not saying he’s the next Ronaldo, but it’s easy to forget that Ronaldo faced much of the same criticism in his early seasons, poor finishing, low end product, went down too easy etc. He obviously was at a higher standard and fixed it at an earlier age. Point is good coaching can fix these issues, his natural talent, good positioning and motivation are excellent. I think he’s going to be a super player.
Ronaldo was completely different though , he had great pace, incredible skill and was still filling out physically . His end product was inconsistent but he obviously had huge potential. Antony currently has all of his flaws but none of his strengths so I just don't see the potential

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not too bothered about his statistics, the goals and assists will come in time. I think many of us can also see how much he contributes on that right side, over and above just goals/assists
He hasn't been very good though. His lack of end product was the reason people wanted to flog Rashford to the other side of the galaxy last year.

He's definitely not going anywhere any time soon so we just have to hope he can start producing a lot of more in final third.

Sancho is definitely the bigger issue too. Looks finished at the club to me where as Antony has fight in him at the very least.

GoldanoGraham

For those old enough to remember, when Ronaldo first came he was very lightweight, falling over at every opportunity, squealing like a pig anytime he got touched, was greedy, made poor decisions and didn’t score much, similar to Anthony.

Now I’m not saying that they are similar players but their first seasons in terms of their behaviour and settling un are similar. As this season has gone on, Anthony has improved a lot, there are plenty of areas to work on but I reckon he will really kick on in terms of performance and output next season, many players need a settling in season, especially those from overseas. Confident his performances will be much better next season.

Sancho on the other hand I’m quite concerned about……

Matt851

Not too bothered about his statistics, the goals and assists will come in time. I think many of us can also see how much he contributes on that right side, over and above just goals/assists
So you cant cite anything tangible so you just talk in general terms, as is always the case with people who are convinced Antony is doing well

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He hasn't been very good though. His lack of end product was the reason people wanted to flog Rashford to the other side of the galaxy last year.
:confused:

Rashford's terrible general play and his utter disinterest in actually putting in an effort was why people wanted to sell him last season. The lack of end product was just the cherry on top.

Elanga last season was better in those aspects, let alone Antony this season.

Lentwood

So you cant cite anything tangible so you just talk in general terms, as is always the case with people who are convinced Antony is doing well
What do you mean by 'anything tangible'...? Another poster who thinks that football is played on a spreadsheet?

Yes he needs to score a few more goals, but he gets into good goalscoring positions and he has a great strike on him. The goals will come. Out of interest, how many does he need to get exactly before we can say he's 'good' and then how many more does he need (specifically) before we can say he's 'very good'?

Assists dont worry me too much. I don't get why people get overly hung up on it as a metric, it really doesnt tell you all that much about a players' actual contribution to a game of football

Borys

Statistics Wizard
For those old enough to remember, when Ronaldo first came he was very lightweight, falling over at every opportunity, squealing like a pig anytime he got touched, was greedy, made poor decisions and didn’t score much, similar to Anthony.

Now I’m not saying that they are similar players but their first seasons in terms of their behaviour and settling un are similar. As this season has gone on, Anthony has improved a lot, there are plenty of areas to work on but I reckon he will really kick on in terms of performance and output next season, many players need a settling in season, especially those from overseas. Confident his performances will be much better next season.

Sancho on the other hand I’m quite concerned about……
I don't see that at all. Actually I think Antony adapted very well to the league, as his limitations are the same as they were in the Netherlands. Same applies to strengths. I certainly don't think he landed badly in this league (like Sancho).

I see some similarities to... Antonio Valencia. I remember when he played RB he was given acres of space by opposition, because he couldn't deliver a cross to save his life. His final ball was atracious, I couldn't believe SAF persisted with him for so long. He did have energy, work rate, and could keep the ball but was not effective with it. Obviously Valencia and Antony have different "styles" but in a way I feel opposition is giving him more space on the right than for example our left side. This might change indeed with an attacking fullback. But yeah, comparison to Valencia is as good as Nani/Ronaldo comparisons

Marwood

What do you mean by 'anything tangible'...? Another poster who thinks that football is played on a spreadsheet?

Yes he needs to score a few more goals, but he gets into good goalscoring positions and he has a great strike on him. The goals will come. Out of interest, how many does he need to get exactly before we can say he's 'good' and then how many more does he need (specifically) before we can say he's 'very good'?

Assists dont worry me too much. I don't get why people get overly hung up on it as a metric, it really doesnt tell you all that much about a players' actual contribution to a game of football
I'd agree about assist stats if we were talking about midfielders but for a wide player? I think its a pretty useful stat. As least to the point where you can say if a wide player only has two assists all season something needs working on.

Matt851

I wasn't just referring to stats I meant even just a vaguely sensible description of what he has been good at. You referenced him getting into good goalscoring positions and having a great strike. The fact that was all you can come up with doesn't seem to indicate he is having a particularly good season. Especially as the idea he has a great strike on him isn't really true, he takes huge numbers of shots and the majority are terrible. Occasionally one will go in but it's a poor return for the amount of shots he takes, I would suggest your average pl centre back could score as regularly if given the same chances.

On assists he has two so far I think so would suggest that isn't enough

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
:confused:

Rashford's terrible general play and his utter disinterest in actually putting in an effort was why people wanted to sell him last season. The lack of end product was just the cherry on top.

Elanga last season was better in those aspects, let alone Antony this season.
He was carrying a bad injury quite clearly too. When he was running he didn't look right to me all season.

Antony hasn't been much better than what Rashford was last season. Very similar output. Our fans just go overboard with new signings.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't see that at all. Actually I think Antony adapted very well to the league, as his limitations are the same as they were in the Netherlands. Same applies to strengths. I certainly don't think he landed badly in this league (like Sancho).

I see some similarities to... Antonio Valencia. I remember when he played RB he was given acres of space by opposition, because he couldn't deliver a cross to save his life. His final ball was atracious, I couldn't believe SAF persisted with him for so long. He did have energy, work rate, and could keep the ball but was not effective with it. Obviously Valencia and Antony have different "styles" but in a way I feel opposition is giving him more space on the right than for example our left side. This might change indeed with an attacking fullback. But yeah, comparison to Valencia is as good as Nani/Ronaldo comparisons
Teams don't give space to Antony at all, all the chances he gets are because of his off the ball runs which is helped by quick passes from either Bruno or one of the CMs. He barely gets space on RW when he build up the game slowly like how AWB or Valencia used to get (when he was on decline).

Status
Not open for further replies.