Argentina NT | WC Discussion

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
Enhorabuena a Argentina, pueblo hermano! Inolvidable y una victoria merecida de Argentina. Y enhorabuena al mejor futbolista de todos los tiempos, cuya figura se engrandece todavía más.

¡Felicitaciones campeones!

BTW so much for the "pecho frío" moronic nonsense that we had to hear from certain circles for years.

Messi's club career was already the best that there has ever been in terms of club trophies won, individual honours, personal records, goalscoring (most goals scored for 1 single club in football history), most recorded assists, his insane individual brilliance, unmatched top level stats wise, insane 1.5 decade longevity etc. Nobody has the full package in this regard.

Only thing that was lacking was international achievements for Argentina. An Argentina that until the Copa América win in 2021 had to wait 28 years (since the 1993 Copa América) to even win a single official trophy again. I want to remind people of how many stacked teams (on paper) and quality players Argentina had during those almost 3 decades.

So Messi has a World Cup win with Argentina, World Cup 2014 silver medal, record 98 goals for Argentina (nobody is even close to him), record amount of World Cup and Copa América goals combined, most goals in both tournaments of all in Argentina's history, 13 FIFA World Cup goals (the record goal scorer Klose has just 3 more goals), record amount of World Cup matches played in history (26), 2 best World Cup player of the tournament awards (2014, 2022), most assists in the World Cup, most assists in the knockout stages in the World Cup, only player to score in the Group Stage, Round 16, Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Final in a single World Cup (while winning it too), winning arguably the most insane World Cup final in history, Copa América 2021 win, 2022 Finalissima win against Italy, Olympic Gold Medal in 2008, 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship win, several times player of the tournament in numerous Copa América tournaments, 6 finals reached (World Cup + Copa América) in total etc.

I probably forgot a lot more.

But pecho frío.....and all.:lol:

Not to forget the pressure he was playing under throughout the entire tournament and in particular after the disastrous defeat against Saudi Arabia of all teams. This was his final chance to win his last missing trophy and the biggest one as well.

Did I forget to mention that Messi is 35.5 years old?

Has there ever been a player in football history that has had such a phenomenal World Cup and tournament for that matter while being this old (35.5 years old)? and winning it all while being the best player of the tournament with 10 goal contributions (7 goals and 3 assists) and scoring in every single game outside of the second group stage game against Poland?

I don't think so but this is fitting for the GOAT's insane football legacy.

Happy to hear that he won't call it a day yet although it would be easy to quit Argentina after winning the biggest trophy that you can win.

Last edited:
Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

Pocho

Congrats to the Argentinian posters (@IFC 1905 , @Pocho etc) here, I know the reality of the life you live and I love your country, your women (or at least the missus! Just in case she reads this) and your beautiful shithousery! Thank you for giving me the best years of my life! Now I'm off to get pissed on fernet and coke!
hahahahhah thanks mate!!

Pocho

Enhorabuena a Argentina, pueblo hermano! Inolvidable y una victoria merecida de Argentina. Y enhorabuena al mejor futbolista de todos los tiempos, cuya figura se engrandece todavía más.

¡Felicitaciones campeones!

BTW so much for the "pecho frío" moronic nonsense that we had to hear from certain circles for years.

Messi's club career was already the best that there has ever been in terms of club trophies won, individual honours, personal records, goalscoring (most goals scored for 1 single club in football history), most recorded assists, his insane individual brilliance, unmatched top level stats wise, insane 1.5 decade longevity etc. Nobody has the full package in this regard.

Only thing that was lacking was international achievements for Argentina. An Argentina that until the Copa América win in 2021 had to wait 28 years (since the 1993 Copa América) to even win a single official trophy again. I want to remind people of how many stacked teams (on paper) and quality players Argentina had during those almost 3 decades.

So Messi has a World Cup win with Argentina, World Cup 2014 silver medal, record 98 goals for Argentina (nobody is even close to him), record amount of World Cup and Copa América goals combined, most goals in both tournaments of all in Argentina's history, 13 FIFA World Cup goals (the record goal scorer Klose has just 3 more goals), record amount of World Cup matches played in history (26), 2 best World Cup player of the tournament awards (2014, 2022), most assists in the World Cup, most assists in the knockout stages in the World Cup, only player to score in the Group Stage, Round 16, Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Final in a single World Cup (while winning it too), winning arguably the most insane World Cup final in history, Copa América 2021 win, 2022 Finalissima win against Italy, Olympic Gold Medal in 2008, 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship win, several times player of the tournament in numerous Copa América tournaments, 6 finals reached (World Cup + Copa América) in total etc.

I probably forgot a lot more.

But pecho frío.....and all.

Did I forget to mention that Messi is 35.5 years old? Has there ever been a player in football history that has had such a phenomenal World Cup and tournament for that matter, this old, while winning it? In such an insane manner too in arguably the best and most tense World Cup final to date?

I don't think so but this is fitting for the GOAT's insane football legacy.

Happy to hear that he won't call it a day yet although it would be easy to quit Argentina after winning the biggest trophy that you can win.
great great post, muchas gracias!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think I love Napoli even more now

Lay

It is not. Brazil and Argentina have had a coaching problems for a long time. Unless they start producing good coaches, they should get European coaches. Or the World Cup will stay in Europe.
Totally agree.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Should bring some comfort and joy to the country with their recent economic troubles. Congrats Argentinos!

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Well done to Argentina. I'm so happy Messi has the only trophy that has eluded him.

Incredible match.

Real Name

Congrats to Argentina, well deserved!

Must be insane in Argentina right now.

Celebrations will likely last for a few months. :)

Ludens the Red

They’re a determined bunch and they hold their nerve during penalties which is to be admired. Penalties are just so so important at these competitions and when you see how the English carry on with pens you have to admire the steel the argies have. That being said, that’s the worse World Cup winning team I’ve seen in my lifetime.
Argentina have basically won a World Cup with a tactic of ‘pass to Messi and Inshallah’.

Every previous World Cup winning side would have dispatched of this Argentinian one quite easily. This Argentinian squad isn’t even as good as their squads between 1998 and 2010 but they’ve come away with a World Cup so who gives a feck I guess.
Also feck Southgate!

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
I have no doubts now, if Di Maria was fit for the 2014 WC final, Argentina would have won it too.

Apparently Messi is not retiring from the international stage yet, we are potentially seeing a Copa - WC - Copa run ala Spain 2008-2012 from him and this Argentina team

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Deserved winner. The way they came back 2 times from losing a 2-0 lead is impressive. Especially yesterday they seemed dead and buried after France equalised.

I do need some vindication though. Argentina are not cnuts because Van Gaal said Messi doesn't track back. They're just cnuts. World Champion cnuts that is.

Congratulations!

cnuts.

white text

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I have no doubts now, if Di Maria was fit for the 2014 WC final, Argentina would have won it too.

Apparently Messi is not retiring from the international stage yet, we are potentially seeing a Copa - WC - Copa run ala Spain 2008-2012 from him and this Argentina team
We'll never know, but I personally imagine that it would have been the case. Di Maria is the man Argentina want to have in big games.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I really can't stand Di Maria at all (I'm not a Man Utd fan but I assume he is not so popular on this forum !), but props to him for also 'completing football'.

His CV and record in big games is certainly impressive; winning the World Cup (scoring in the final) and Copa America (scoring the winning goal in the final) with Argentina, plus for what it's worth an Olympic gold medal in 2008 as well (scoring the winning goals in the quarter-final and final), the Champions League with Real Madrid in 2014 (with that assist for Bale's goal in the final and man of the match award), league titles in Portugal, Spain and France, and domestic cups in Spain (scoring in the 2014 Copa del Rey final) and France.

I know the Olympic gold medal is far from one of the biggest prizes in football (on the men's side I wouldn't mind football being scrapped from the Olympic programme and replaced with futsal), but it's also a pretty cool feat for Messi and Di Maria to have both World Cup winners' and Olympic gold medals. In between several Uruguayan players (I'm assuming) from 1928-1930 and these 2, I can't think of any other players that have won both. Again, while it's not a major trophy, it's also pretty cool that they both won the U-20 World Cup (Messi in 2005 and Di Maria in 2007) as well.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I really can't stand Di Maria at all (I'm not a Man Utd fan but I assume he is not so popular on this forum !), but props to him for also 'completing football'.

His CV and record in big games is certainly impressive; winning the World Cup (scoring in the final) and Copa America (scoring the winning goal in the final) with Argentina, plus for what it's worth an Olympic gold medal in 2008 as well (scoring the winning goals in the quarter-final and final), the Champions League with Real Madrid in 2014 (with that assist for Bale's goal in the final and man of the match award), league titles in Portugal, Spain and France, and domestic cups in Spain (scoring in the 2014 Copa del Rey final) and France.

I know the Olympic gold medal is far from one of the biggest prizes in football (on the men's side I wouldn't mind football being scrapped from the Olympic programme and replaced with futsal), but it's also a pretty cool feat for Messi and Di Maria to have both World Cup winners' and Olympic gold medals. In between several Uruguayan players (I'm assuming) from 1928-1930 and these 2, I can't think of any other players that have won both. Again, while it's not a major trophy, it's also pretty cool that they both won the U-20 World Cup (Messi in 2005 and Di Maria in 2007) as well.
It's true that we don't have the fondest memories of him, but hats off to him for his performance. Him crying on the bench with a "i can't believe we've done it" look on his face was one of the moments of the tournament.

I guess, if there's one thing worse than playing and losing a final, that would be missing the game due to injury and watching your teammates lose that final with you being unable to help them. And although he couldn't feature either in the semi-final or the final in 2014, he was, alongside Messi and Mascherano, one of their best players.

Then, at 34, you watch from the bench, injured, your teammates take your team to another final. A second bite of the cherry, and on the day of the final, your manager announces that you are in the starting line-up. You step on the pitch, you win a penalty and you score a goal. Yeah, he can be happy with himself.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It's true that we don't have the fondest memories of him, but hats off to him for his performance. Him crying on the bench with a "i can't believe we've done it" look on his face was one of the moments of the tournament.

I guess, if there's one thing worse than playing and losing a final, that would be missing the game due to injury and watching your teammates lose that final with you being unable to help them. And although he couldn't feature either in the semi-final or the final in 2014, he was, alongside Messi and Mascherano, one of their best players.

Then, at 34, you watch from the bench, injured, your teammates take your team to another final. A second bite of the cherry, and on the day of the final, your manager announces that you are in the starting line-up. You step on the pitch, you win a penalty and you score a goal. Yeah, he can be happy with himself.
I completely agree.

IIRC at the 2015 Copa América, he was excellent during Argentina’s semi-final win against Paraguay (scoring twice), but then was forced off with a hamstring injury early on during the final.

Of course he would have liked to win something with Man Utd, win the Champions League with PSG (instead of being on the losing end in so many dramatic matches / ties - I found their constant failures in the CL to be hilarious) etc., but really he shouldn’t really have any major regrets given that he has essentially won it all.

Vault Dweller

Anyone seen the footage of Andres Cantor commentating as the winning penalty goes in? Absolutely magnificent, couldn't watch without getting a bit teary.

Fantastic final, perhaps the greatest. Well deserved.

IFC 1905

So @Damien, do the peeps who predicted Argentina to win the World Cup get a tagline change? :Wenger:

Well done to the Argentinian lads on here @IFC 1905 @Pocho and whoever else I’m forgetting

Thank you!!

Can't wait for 2026 with Garnacho, Fausto Vera, Buonanotte, Luka Romero incoming, with the likes of Enzo, Julian, Licha, Cuti already settled :drool:

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
The most amazing thing about Argentinian football is the passion for football and how all Argentinians can unite whenever the national team is playing despite very strong domestic football rivalries. Italy could learn from this and in particular Spain. I am envious.

No point even talking about the hinchas and the noise and hillarious songs they are able to produce during games. Let alone the amazing travelling support that the Argentinian national team have been enjoying for decades. Even more so given the economic realities of Argentina. I saw that in person during the FIFA Club World Cup in 2015 when we played against River Plate in Japan.

Anyway what a character Dibu Martínez is. I miss seeing such grinta and shithousery for my teams. If Barça had just 1-2 such characters in the squad, we would not have had those insane and inexcusable meltdowns in CL (Roma and Liverpool say hello). Argentina would never have won against the Netherlands nor France with a German schoolboy like ter Stegen in goal.