Arsenal 2017/2018

Yagami

Good post resistant
I really don't know. We could just keep him to have a bit of depth in the middle.
I was going to say he didn't do himself any favours last season as, from what I saw, he didn't really play close to his best but I think the fact that he managed to actually play 29(?) games probably did do himself some favours!

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I was going to say he didn't do himself any favours last season as, from what I saw, he didn't really play close to his best but I think the fact that he managed to actually play 29(?) games probably did do himself some favours!
He was good for Bournemouth. Maybe we should have left him there. Can't see any future for him here.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Wenger sees the upside in his key players not wanting to extend with arsenal

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/30/arsene-wenger-mesut-ozil-arsenal-standoff

Wenger was asked whether he was happy to allow Özil to go into his final year. “Yes,” he replied.
“It’s not an issue. I think it’s an ideal situation. Why? Because everyone has to perform. When you’re a football player, you perform until the last day of your contract. Whether you have two or one year left, it doesn’t change. You want to play and do well. Do you really think they sit in the dressing room and think: ‘Oh, I have one year to go, I will not play well today.’ When you are a football player, you want to play well. What does that have to do with the length of your contract? It’s amazing.”

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/30/arsene-wenger-mesut-ozil-arsenal-standoff

Wenger was asked whether he was happy to allow Özil to go into his final year. “Yes,” he replied.
“It’s not an issue. I think it’s an ideal situation. Why? Because everyone has to perform. When you’re a football player, you perform until the last day of your contract. Whether you have two or one year left, it doesn’t change. You want to play and do well. Do you really think they sit in the dressing room and think: ‘Oh, I have one year to go, I will not play well today.’ When you are a football player, you want to play well. What does that have to do with the length of your contract? It’s amazing.”
What a ridiculous thing to say , Arsenal have fecked up badly on these contracts and are now trying to save face with bullshit like this . If Arsenal don't make the cl next season they will be in huge trouble

Varun

Staff

:lol:

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

What a load of bollocks. If Sanchez knows he can leave on a free why does he have to put in an effort?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
What a load of bollocks. If Sanchez knows he can leave on a free why does he have to put in an effort?
It tags well with his other assertion that bosmans will be the new hot craze due to the prices in the market.

Perfect absolution. It isn't wenger's fault that ozil and sanchez won't sign new contracts. This is just the direction that football is going in.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
It tags well with his other assertion that bosmans will be the new hot craze due to the prices in the market.

Perfect absolution. It isn't wenger's fault that ozil and sanchez won't sign new contracts. This is just the direction that football is going in.
I know. Just saying that players in the last year of their contract doesn't mean they are gonna play better.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, they have started another season without sorting out central defenders. I am pretty sure I bumped their old thread one year ago for the same reason. After so many years in England, looks like Wenger still hasn't learned basic things, and some people still don't get why many don't rate him as top manager.

goons

Supports
Arsenal
So, they have started another season without sorting out central defenders. I am pretty sure I bumped their old thread one year ago for the same reason. After so many years in England, looks like Wenger still hasn't learned basic things, and some people still don't get why many don't rate him as top manager.
We had four centrebacks out yesterday. Koscielny (red card), Mustafi, Mertesacker and Gabriel (injuries). Mustafi and Mertesacker should be back next game and Koscielny will be back the game after that. Obviously central defenders is not really as big of a problem as you make it out to be but I wouldn't mind letting go of Gabriel and bringing someone much better in. Then we'd pretty much have the best defense (at least on paper) in the league. Certainly a lot better then united's at least that btw isn't really that impressive.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I think yesterday was more down to our midfield than our defence. Xhaka plays better along with Ramsey than Elneny. We were also missing Per, Laurent, Gabriel and Mustafi.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You were missing same players last year, that's my point. It's the same mistake United managers make every year trusting the likes of Phil Jones to be reliable squad option, when he is quite clearly far from that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think yesterday was more down to our midfield than our defence. Xhaka plays better along with Ramsey than Elneny. We were also missing Per, Laurent, Gabriel and Mustafi.
Nah, it was the same old arsenal. Makeshift back-line with 2 defenders, one a 20 yo, the other a FB, hilarious incompetence at defending set pieces, utter panic at the first set-back...

Same old arsenal

BTW, think Xhaka plays better with elneny than ramsey, too. Elneny's more tactically disciplined, allows everyone else to do what they're good at. Problem is Elneny is only good enough as a backup, and there's no one like him on the team. Same old arsenal, again

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
They are going to win the league during the season and most likely before January. That goes for Liverpool as well.

AlwaysRed66

Arsenal again show how good they are upfront, & entertaining side. Giroud vastly underrated & also good in defence when needed. Unfortunately, as good as they are attacking they are as poor defending, with abysmal display last night. Vardy ripped them to pieces each time he attacked. Won't win the league the way they concede goals. Wasn't helped that they were playing with 10 men most of the match, as Ozil again shows how naff he is. To think a few years ago this guy was classed as world class. What a joke.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Nah, it was the same old arsenal. Makeshift back-line with 2 defenders, one a 20 yo, the other a FB, hilarious incompetence at defending set pieces, utter panic at the first set-back...

Same old arsenal

BTW, think Xhaka plays better with elneny than ramsey, too. Elneny's more tactically disciplined, allows everyone else to do what they're good at. Problem is Elneny is only good enough as a backup, and there's no one like him on the team. Same old arsenal, again
Ok, but we had many CBs out.

edcunited1878

A pretty good joke in the comments section on former Arsenal star and now LAFC player in MLS Carlos Vela...

Question: I thought Vela spoke English as he was an Arsenal player?

Response by Mike D: Although that's most peoples' expectation, Arsenal reminds its players that Spanish is still a top four language and so there's no need to learn English.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
:0 His move to the MLS completely passed me by. It wasn't so long ago that people were rating him and Griezmann pretty equally.

Hojoon

:0 His move to the MLS completely passed me by. It wasn't so long ago that people were rating him and Griezmann pretty equally.
I think he was more impressive than Griezmann when they played together. Just shows you that things can change quickly.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Carlos Vela has so much talent but the guy cannot be arsed to put 100% in his football career.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Hopefully, but there are rumours about him joining Chelsea. Would be so bad to lose him now that he has found the perfect position for him.
If you manage to keep him, Alexis and Ozil, with Lacazette and Kolasinac coming in - who've both looked good - then that's a great transfer window, in my opinion.

JSArsenal

If you manage to keep him, Alexis and Ozil, with Lacazette and Kolasinac coming in - who've both looked good - then that's a great transfer window, in my opinion.
That depends on how we keep them, if none of those three sign new contracts, then next summer:

They all leave on free transfers, possibly to another domestic team.
Koscielny and Monreal will be 33, Mertesacker retires.
Cech is 36
A lot of players will be out of contract, provided we don't shift them this summer.
Bellerin might actually go back to Barcelona

There will be so much to be done and I don't trust our board to do all of it in one summer so its important we start now.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That depends on how we keep them, if none of those three sign new contracts, then next summer:

They all leave on free transfers, possibly to another domestic team.
Koscielny and Monreal will be 33, Mertesacker retires.
Cech is 36
A lot of players will be out of contract, provided we don't shift them this summer.
Bellerin might actually go back to Barcelona

There will be so much to be done and I don't trust our board to do all of it in one summer so its important we start now.
Fair point but, hypothetically speaking, if the majority of them were to leave having secured you CL footy or even having won you something (PL, Europa) would it have been worth it for you?

Yep, the Ox looks pretty good in our new set-up.
I thought he looked really good as a CM, too. This is why I think he'd be a fine option for any team in the league - he can play as a CM, wing back and winger all to a decent standard.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I thought he looked really good as a CM, too. This is why I think he'd be a fine option for any team in the league - he can play as a CM, wing back and winger all to a decent standard.
We should still give him a run as CM. Not really convinced by him there.