Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

Haven't heard anything since we were 'working on a new contract' at the end of May. I'd be very surprised if we didn't end up signing him up pretty smoothly though. He was superb last season, and by all accounts is keen to stay.

We shouldn't forget that he was close to being our best player over the whole course of last season. Especially impressive given that he spent the first six months playing as a WB/FB. I for one have to hold my hands up and say I couldn't have been more wrong about his prospects if I'd tried last summer!

darioterios

think he will have to wait into the new season for a one-year extension if he performs well

m1y2

Didn't watch the game but from the highlights looks like he was very influential down the left in the first half?
he was decent enough, combining well with Shaw but also wasted two or three crosses, anyway as long as you create three great chances per game it shouldn't matter, typical Ash Young performance from last season I'd say

NK86

Why don't our players actually be ready at the far post when Young is about to cross? Even if Young just gets up from bed and hits a cross, it will always end up at the far post. Everyone who watches us can say that then surely the players must have realized it by now as well.

LeftyBlaster

Why don't our players actually be ready at the far post when Young is about to cross? Even if Young just gets up from bed and hits a cross, it will always end up at the far post. Everyone who watches us can say that then surely the players must have realized it by now as well.
My question is, why the feck do we insist on crossing the ball into the box when we have only offensive players who are more often than not surrounded by a defence that have been given time to defend it? None of those 3 are big and tall targets either.

ChaddyP

think we may move on. strange that we havent offered a new contract yet. and with all this talk of new fwds. makes you wonder

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Have to disagree with the idea that Youngs crosses always end up at the back post. Problem is his so called crosses end up all over the place. He has no left foot and the vast majority of the time he attempts a cross with his left it ends up being a waste of time. He however rarely tries to cross with his left foot, preferring to cut in onto his right which in doing so often means strikers have had to check their run, which in turn means more wasted balls. If you take a long hard look at him in any game his crossing is very inefficient which it shouldnt be given his position. His big saving grace last season was that he worked his balls off and provided some great defensive cover and whilst his crossing was poor he did get forward well and mean defences had to commit players to cover him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has been stealing a living from us for years, but given his much improved form last season, we should at least award him a 1-year extension to his current contract, maybe with a pay cut.

NK86

Have to disagree with the idea that Youngs crosses always end up at the back post. Problem is his so called crosses end up all over the place. He has no left foot and the vast majority of the time he attempts a cross with his left it ends up being a waste of time. He however rarely tries to cross with his left foot, preferring to cut in onto his right which in doing so often means strikers have had to check their run, which in turn means more wasted balls. If you take a long hard look at him in any game his crossing is very inefficient which it shouldnt be given his position. His big saving grace last season was that he worked his balls off and provided some great defensive cover and whilst his crossing was poor he did get forward well and mean defences had to commit players to cover him.
I would have to disagree. His crossing is not the best but most of the times they are aimed at the far post. Now whether that is his default or he does it deliberately, I do not know, but even in the two pre-season games so far we have seen the same. I agree that he is not the greatest threat but in saying that I also have to point out that he has worked well with both Blind and Shaw down the left hand side. He is not as talented individually as a Di Maria to pick apart a defense by himself but hopefully he will be a good squad option rather than an important player in the first team this coming season.

buckooo1978

If Pedro comes in and Di Maria stays it might leave Ashley available depending on what LVG thinks of Januzaj and Pereira.

lots of ifs and buts there and his effort and versatility might earn him an extension.....liked his attitude last year and (i'm not sure if its true but) i read he would consider a pay cut to stay

Thisistheone

As well as he played last season, looking at the stats at the top of the page... 2 goals, all year? That's a bit of a surprise.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Like his attitude, if hes willing to accept a squad role and take a pay cut then we should sign him up.

As well as he played last season, he doesnt have the required quality in terms of end product to be considered a starter for a title winning team. Saying that though he is still a very good player.

I would priorities Memphis and maybe Periera over him, but I still think he would be a useful member of the squad.

Stack

I would have to disagree. His crossing is not the best but most of the times they are aimed at the far post. Now whether that is his default or he does it deliberately, I do not know, but even in the two pre-season games so far we have seen the same. I agree that he is not the greatest threat but in saying that I also have to point out that he has worked well with both Blind and Shaw down the left hand side. He is not as talented individually as a Di Maria to pick apart a defense by himself but hopefully he will be a good squad option rather than an important player in the first team this coming season.
I suggest you take a count next time he plays as to where his crosses go and also if they find their man successfully. You will be in for quite a shock. Just keep count.

Stack

Like his attitude, if hes willing to accept a squad role and take a pay cut then we should sign him up.

As well as he played last season, he doesnt have the required quality in terms of end product to be considered a starter for a title winning team. Saying that though he is still a very good player.

I would priorities Memphis and maybe Periera over him, but I still think he would be a useful member of the squad.
I loved his attitude and effort last season as well. he also did a superb job of helping the defence out in a season where it was all over the place, especially while LVG was trying 3 at the back. He worked his socks off all season getting up and down the pitch.

Cina

if you want to discuss his contract situation, please take it to the Utd forum and make a thread, this is for performances only, and what more, it's last seasons performances, so I'm locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.