Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Its not even his worse dive, everytime he does it people are up in arms. When other players are constantly doing it in other teams, no one gives a shit. I'm just glad he's been playing well, because that is the best response he can give them.
This.

Don't understand the logic of people going in on Young, as if he is the only player in the universe who goes down easily.

Diving is present from the top to the bottom of the Premier league. It's even more prevalent in Europe. Why should Young be made the scapegoat for it?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I don't like diving but honestly I don't really care if he does it, the only reason I don't want him doing it too much is he'll get a reputation and when he actually is fouled he won't get the call. Tbh though, if he wins us a penalty and we win the game I couldn't give a feck if it was a dive or not.

Halftrack

This.

Don't understand the logic of people going in on Young, as if he is the only player in the universe who goes down easily.

Diving is present from the top to the bottom of the Premier league. It's even more prevalent in Europe. Why should Young be made the scapegoat for it?
I, for one (and I'm guessing others as well), react negatively to any United player taking a dive or going down easily. Just because others do it doesn't mean we should just quietly accept it. It's cheating, plain and simple, and I really don't like our players doing it. It's bad enough that everyone and their dog thinks United get special favors from the refs and the FA, we don't need our players throwing themselves all over the pitch. Young has been one of our worst offenders on that front, and as such has been given a rough ride for it. It doesn't help that several of his attempts have been really blatant either.

The fact that fans, United or otherwise, react negatively to their own players trying to cheat is a positive, and I don't understand the logic of people questioning it. Isn't it a sign of integrity?

Do note that I don't dislike Young or anything, I just wish he'd stop going down so easily.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Playing very well and deserves to start perhaps he'll go to right wing and Valencia will slot in behind him lol after all the players we bought these two stalwarts still end up playing. Says a lot both ways.

RedDevil@84

Part of the blame for the whole diving or theatrical falling should go to the Refs. If I remember the rule book, it says something about the intention to foul being punished by the Ref. But the refs never do this. Unless they see a hard fall, none of them point to the spot.

I, for one (and I'm guessing others as well), react negatively to any United player taking a dive or going down easily. Just because others do it doesn't mean we should just quietly accept it. It's cheating, plain and simple, and I really don't like our players doing it. It's bad enough that everyone and their dog thinks United get special favors from the refs and the FA, we don't need our players throwing themselves all over the pitch. Young has been one of our worst offenders on that front, and as such has been given a rough ride for it. It doesn't help that several of his attempts have been really blatant either.

The fact that fans, United or otherwise, react negatively to their own players trying to cheat is a positive, and I don't understand the logic of people questioning it. Isn't it a sign of integrity?

Do note that I don't dislike Young or anything, I just wish he'd stop going down so easily.
So when the ball goes out and, regardless who it came off, all our players appeal for it are you ashamed?

Scholes punched the ball into the net in the European super cup final. Yes he got caught and sent off. But had he got away with it would you think less of Scholes?

What about the well documented advise Sir Alex gave the Nevilles on Reyes in 2004/05? Were you ashamed by the systematic fouling? Deliberate fouling is also cheating right?

Ashley Young does nothing thousands of others don't do. Singling him out is ridiculous. When sideshow Bob was laughing his a$$ off at getting Rafael sent off a few years back, was anyone crying for United? Sometimes you fight fire with fire.

Young has been a solid performer for us under Van Gaal. We should be praising him, not hanging him out to dry.

Bwuk

Young deserves praise for playing well, and id like to see him, Memphis and Martial as front three with Mata in behind.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It was an embarrassing dive and he should cut it out, but the reaction to it is even more embarrassing for me. Rooney dived just before that and it was barely even mentioned. It wasn't subtle either - it was a blatant dive, seconds after contact had taken place where he just fell to the ground. In Young's time here Rooney has undoubtedly dived more often for me...but Young gets painted as a serial diver for a couple of "high profile" dives while it's never mentioned of Rooney. Bizarre.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
So when the ball goes out and, regardless who it came off, all our players appeal for it are you ashamed?

Scholes punched the ball into the net in the European super cup final. Yes he got caught and sent off. But had he got away with it would you think less of Scholes?

What about the well documented advise Sir Alex gave the Nevilles on Reyes in 2004/05? Were you ashamed by the systematic fouling? Deliberate fouling is also cheating right?

Ashley Young does nothing thousands of others don't do. Singling him out is ridiculous. When sideshow Bob was laughing his a$$ off at getting Rafael sent off a few years back, was anyone crying for United? Sometimes you fight fire with fire.

Young has been a solid performer for us under Van Gaal. We should be praising him, not hanging him out to dry.
We have praised his perfomances, but you cant praise diving. Where does it stop? Just because someone else does it doesn't make it right. That is exactly managers have publically slammed him for this before. If this was a Liverpool player doing it, we'd be up in arms. I like to think that we are good enough to win without resorting to this sort of thing.

K2K

It was an embarrassing dive and he should cut it out, but the reaction to it is even more embarrassing for me. Rooney dived just before that and it was barely even mentioned. It wasn't subtle either - it was a blatant dive, seconds after contact had taken place where he just fell to the ground. In Young's time here Rooney has undoubtedly dived more often for me...but Young gets painted as a serial diver for a couple of "high profile" dives while it's never mentioned of Rooney. Bizarre.
We all know that Rooney is treated differently, both by the media and the club. But it doesnt make it right, its just true.

Halftrack

Jesus Christ, why so confrontational? I never said I thought less of Young, it's just an aspect of his game I wish we'd see less of. In fact, it's an aspect of the game itself that I'd wish to see less of.

I wouldn't think less of Scholes either, but I certainly don't want to win by cheating. If we win as a direct result of one of our players taking a dive, or punching a ball into the net, it would certainly ruin the win for me. I don't want us to win like that.

You can't even begin to compare diving to going in hard on a player. Sir Alex told the Nevilles to go in hard on Reyes, in order to throw him off his game. He did not tell them to kick him about or rough him up. Playing cynically and deliberately fouling high up the pitch to prevent the opposition from getting into dangerous areas is a legitimate tactic, and doesn't involve trying to deceive the ref. Players are often carded for persistent fouling. So no, I was neither ashamed, nor did (or do) I consider deliberate fouling to be cheating.

The fact that thousands of others does it just goes to show how big the problem is. The fact that others do it is also a pretty shite defense of what is, by every definition, cheating. And I'm not singling him out, I'll criticize any United player that does it. Young just happens to be one of Uniteds worst offenders, so he gets called out more often than others. And I couldn't care less how other teams or players go about it, I just know how I'd like to see US go about it.

Criticizing Young for simulating does not prevent me from thinking he's been one of our better performers under van Gaal, the two are not mutually exclusive.

K2K

Jesus Christ, why so confrontational? I never said I thought less of Young, it's just an aspect of his game I wish we'd see less of. In fact, it's an aspect of the game itself that I'd wish to see less of.

I wouldn't think less of Scholes either, but I certainly don't want to win by cheating. If we win as a direct result of one of our players taking a dive, or punching a ball into the net, it would certainly ruin the win for me. I don't want us to win like that.

You can't even begin to compare diving to going in hard on a player. Sir Alex told the Nevilles to go in hard on Reyes, in order to throw him off his game. He did not tell them to kick him about or rough him up. Playing cynically and deliberately fouling high up the pitch to prevent the opposition from getting into dangerous areas is a legitimate tactic, and doesn't involve trying to deceive the ref. Players are often carded for persistent fouling. So no, I was neither ashamed, nor did (or do) I consider deliberate fouling to be cheating.

The fact that thousands of others does it just goes to show how big the problem is. The fact that others do it is also a pretty shite defense of what is, by every definition, cheating. And I'm not singling him out, I'll criticize any United player that does it. Young just happens to be one of Uniteds worst offenders, so he gets called out more often than others. And I couldn't care less how other teams or players go about it, I just know how I'd like to see US go about it.

Criticizing Young for simulating does not prevent me from thinking he's been one of our better performers under van Gaal, the two are not mutually exclusive.
Well said.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't like diving but honestly I don't really care if he does it, the only reason I don't want him doing it too much is he'll get a reputation and when he actually is fouled he won't get the call. Tbh though, if he wins us a penalty and we win the game I couldn't give a feck if it was a dive or not.
Yeah, I'm the same. In all of the many things about modern football/footballers that annoy me, diving is pretty low down the list.

Oggmonster

Royston not impressed with the dive

Least he said we weren't a boring team I suppose
Bit of an older racist term from Keane there as well.

I don't like the diving at all, it is a bit embarrassing for football in general really, it's grown men throwing themselves on the floor. Young isn't the only 1 who does it though. People like Gerrard were serial divers and never got mentioned cos they were 1 of England's golden boys.

drdoityourself

But Young is the only one I can think of that dives so theatrically. This somersault, others fall easily to the ground but he's playing a different game, more obvious and more prone to being called out on.

I'm not being confrontational, I just can't believe people are making a massive issue of it. Herrera dived against Palace, no response. Rooney dived in the same game I think, no response. So why do people want to make a massive issue of Ashley Young going down softly?

Yeah, I'm the same. In all of the many things about modern football/footballers that annoy me, diving is pretty low down the list.
Exactly. Low level cheating like trying to win set pieces, conning the ref at throw ins and so on, are the least of football's problems. Sticking it to Ashley Young isn't eliminating the kind of unpunished X-rated tackles that have cost us our first XI left back are they?

Bit of an older racist term from Keane there as well.

I don't like the diving at all, it is a bit embarrassing for football in general really, it's grown men throwing themselves on the floor. Young isn't the only 1 who does it though. People like Gerrard were serial divers and never got mentioned cos they were 1 of England's golden boys.
Thank you for making the point. @drdoityourself the way Gerrard dives, flinging his arms out like a starfish, how is that any less theatrical? It is so obvious and yet its never spoken about because he's "Stevie G". When its Ashley Young though people are acting like he's smote the first born of Egypt.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
The madness of diving is that players cannot get away with it anymore. Even if they do get a penalty or free kick, there are tons of cameras around the place and you will be picked up on it and will get the screw turned on you for it.

It's almost as if footballers aren't the brightest :rolleyes:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The madness of diving is that players cannot get away with it anymore. Even if they do get a penalty or free kick, there are tons of cameras around the place and you will be picked up on it and will get the screw turned on you for it.

It's almost as if footballers aren't the brightest :rolleyes:
Many footballers dive and don't have a reputation for it in the media. Even Messi dives - he gets his goals/assists and moves on. Why should he care about a billion cameras if it makes no difference?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
“I think the guy’s a disgrace and if he’s a Man United player I’m a Chinaman,” the former captain said on ITV.

“Absolute disgrace, he’s done it far too many times. Look at that. Absolute disgrace. And I just hope players are getting a hold of him, whether it be the manager or some of the senior players.

“That shouldn’t be accepted at Man United. That’s absolutely disgraceful.”
Jesus, that's way over the top from Keane. I don't like the diving at all and hope he cuts it out, but labelling him a disgrace is just uncalled for.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why were their fans booing him? He didn't leave on bad terms IIRC. Seems very small time.

Precaution

Sat in the home end thanks to a mate, He was cheered at the beginning when they read his name out on the team sheets, it was when he started to go down at every opportunity that they started to turn on him, alot of fans chanting "cheat, cheat, cheat" he was very poor i thought, stood out at the worst in the team tbh

U99ted

Sat in the home end thanks to a mate, He was cheered at the beginning when they read his name out on the team sheets, it was when he started to go down at every opportunity that they started to turn on him, alot of fans chanting "cheat, cheat, cheat" he was very poor i thought, stood out at the worst in the team tbh
He also gave the ball away after receiving the ball from Herrera and turning to pass back to De Gea, which led to a counter. Most of our players were in advanced positions, so that was a poor decision. Otherwise he's been doing well recently IMO.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Thought he was initially a decent attacking threat when he came on. Put in some good crosses. Didn't do much after that though.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Put in two really dangerous crosses which nobody bothered to try an attack, then made the only decent run in the entire second half and created the Lingard chance due to it... then he got shifted to right back, probably because he was trying to be too positive.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Put in two really dangerous crosses which nobody bothered to try an attack, then made the only decent run in the entire second half and created the Lingard chance due to it... then he got shifted to right back, probably because he was trying to be too positive.
Van Gaal didn't have a recognised full back to sub on, so he did the next best thing in order to satisfy his need to sub Darmian off.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Van Gaal didn't have a recognised full back to sub on, so he did the next best thing in order to satisfy his need to sub Darmian off.
McNair was warming up for a bit... I think I genuinely would have lost my shit if he had come on at right back.

m1tch

Should be starting ahead of Depay on that left side, bringing him on tonight was the right decision but unfortunately the Fellaini for BFS sub accompanied it which meant it didn't have the affect it should of.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Should be starting ahead of Depay on that left side, bringing him on tonight was the right decision but unfortunately the Fellaini for BFS sub accompanied it which meant it didn't have the affect it should of.
Yeah, really should be first choice on the left. Once we made the sub our wide players just didn't get the ball though so that made it hard for him.

El Zoido

He's good and an asset to our squad. He definitely should be starting ahead of Delay on the left but I'm starting to wonder if Memphis should be blooded as a CF anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.