Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
Means dropping Herrera though... I'd prefer having Herrera in the XI tbh.
Why? I don't think Van Gaal can keep up this charade of playing with 10 footballers and a captain for too long.

Skills

Snitch
Why? I don't think Van Gaal can keep up this charade of playing with 10 footballers and a captain for too long.
Van Gaal doesn't like Herrera as it is. Dropping Rooney is extremely unlikely, dropping Rooney for the sake of keeping Herrera in the team is expecting the impossible.

Varun

Staff
Van Gaal doesn't like Herrera as it is. Dropping Rooney is extremely unlikely, dropping Rooney for the sake of keeping Herrera in the team is expecting the impossible.
I don't think that's the case. He has commented about Herrera doing very well recently. I do agree he seems to have a blind spot for Rooney which is shocking coming from Mr Big Balls but I don't think it's that unrealistic to see Herrera take over as the #10 permanently even if it's Rooney that gets shoehorned their again initially.

Sam

I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be looking forward to Young's return :lol:

The problem, though, is it will probably be for Herrera.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be looking forward to Young's return :lol:

The problem, though, is it will probably be for Herrera.
Hopefully Van Gaal gives Rooney a "rest" next week if Young is ready to start.
Martial
Young Herrera Mata
Schweinsteiger Schneiderlin​
A very good all round team, nobody being carried in any sense (other then Mata defensively a bit but even then it's not bad), and a consistent and reliable threat going forward from all of them.

criticalanalysis

I don't think that's the case. He has commented about Herrera doing very well recently. I do agree he seems to have a blind spot for Rooney which is shocking coming from Mr Big Balls but I don't think it's that unrealistic to see Herrera take over as the #10 permanently even if it's Rooney that gets shoehorned their again initially.
Actually I think Bastian is probably the more likely to get dropped to accomendate Young.

Herrera's form/tactical discipline and LVG's appreciation could mean he'll favour a Schneiderlin/Herrera 2 man midfield with turdsh|t ahead of them.

Varun

Staff
Actually I think Bastian is probably the more likely to get dropped to accomendate Young.

Herrera's form/tactical discipline and LVG's appreciation could mean he'll favour a Schneiderlin/Herrera 2 man midfield with turdsh|t ahead of them.
I'd love to see Herrera in a 2 man midfield with schneiderlin because it should work in a vast majority of our league games but can't see van Gaal doing it unfortunately.

Acole9

Outstanding
Terrible penalty, I think he missed one for us in pre season a couple of years back too. I'm surprised he used to be the main taker at Villa and the majority of those he scored.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He's not a fullback, and shouldnt be used there.

LVG should have actually went out and signed fullback cover, seeing as we only have two proper fullbacks, and the rest being makeshift players being played out of their favoured positions.

Crystal Palace 0:0 Man Utd

prateik

Should be starting if fit.. at least on current form.
Only one who wants to run at teams...

Also, is pretty smart. Did well defensively.. didnt look lost.

Hed Zitin

Get him in this snail pace side as a winger. At least he actually gets the ball into the other half.

He's not a fullback, but it was nice to see someone attack after the complete no show attacking wise from our two fullbacks on the pitch.

Ludens the Red

He needs to be played as a winger, I know his end product is dodgy but we need someone down the wings trying to make something happen. He's direct, he'll try and take on a fullback(sort of), just put him there.

Ludens the Red

That is far too conventional
Yeah true, he'd need to cut in and move into the over crowded central midfield area before turning around slowly and passing the ball backwards or passing it sideways into the area he's supposed to be in.
#philosophy

K2K

Yeah true, he'd need to cut in and move into the over crowded central midfield area before turning around slowly and passing the ball backwards or passing it sideways into the area he's supposed to be in.
#philosophy
It is a process you see.

He'll persist until either someone gets injured and then when it gets better , he'll tell us the philosophy is working. It happened last season with the fantastic duo of Falcao and RVP, and Herrera being benched.

facund

Who ever thought that Ashley Young would become one of the few shining beacons of hope in the Manchester United squad.

Good cameo, actually appears to care about the result and will probably be up there in the MOM poll.
Seems to be the norm in these crazy days of LVG.

Devil may care

Nailed down a start at RB on Tuesday, not only did he add more to our attack but he was defensively better than Darmian.

Golden Nugget

Bloody hell - nothing against him, but all Young did was stand up and had the courage to run at defenders. He also made off the ball runs and looked to pass it forward. It's really something that should be the minimum for any United player but today it felt like he was Ronaldo. Credit to Young, but shame to almost everyone else.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nailed down a start at RB on Tuesday, not only did he add more to our attack but he was defensively better than Darmian.
Nah Valencia will get that, don't want him handling musa tbh. I want young on the LW with martial up top.

Sam

He's fast becoming my favourite player. Unbelievable turn around :lol:

jem

He's fast becoming my favourite player. Unbelievable turn around :lol:
It really is mindblowing. He's gone from being a player many of us never wanted to see again in a United shirt to being one of the most reassuring presences on the pitch.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The way Young's been marginalised this season is something else to add to the long list of black marks against Van Gaal. He was arguably the only United player creating anything in the last few game of last season, then one of the only decent performers in pre-season. He should not have been dropped and every time he does get minutes he reminds Van Gaal of this. Yet he still isn't starting games.

The fact that it's Ashley fecking Young who is so badly missed - after spending a quarter of a billion quid - is another black mark btw.

m1y2

He should start from now on as RB, Darmian has been poor and should be back up option for both fullback spots... Young is not a natural defender but he's smart enough to cover many positions, once he gets more games under his belt there, he can be really a valuable player. It was a great spell from Yong last game, showed good contribution going forward and mainly great positioning sense when defeinding which is promising.

Like someone said, he's becoming one of my favourite players, he started to turn it around when he was at the game in the stands with Fletch actually.

itso 7

The way Young's been marginalised this season is something else to add to the long list of black marks against Van Gaal. He was arguably the only United player creating anything in the last few game of last season, then one of the only decent performers in pre-season. He should not have been dropped and every time he does get minutes he reminds Van Gaal of this. Yet he still isn't starting games.

The fact that it's Ashley fecking Young who is so badly missed - after spending a quarter of a billion quid - is another black mark btw.
This is true but wasn't he injured recently? Young should have his best position locked down, with Martial playing as the line striker and then maybe we can blood in Lingard/Perreira on the right side because let's face it Mata hasn't been influential enough on the right. But all this will come to naught if we do not raise our tempo, alter our tactics and take a few risks with the ball.

K2K

He should start from now on as RB, Darmian has been poor and should be back up option for both fullback spots... Young is not a natural defender but he's smart enough to cover many positions, once he gets more games under his belt there, he can be really a valuable player. It was a great spell from Yong last game, showed good contribution going forward and mainly great positioning sense when defeinding which is promising.

Like someone said, he's becoming one of my favourite players, he started to turn it around when he was at the game in the stands with Fletch actually.
He's not a defender, and that would just expose him especially when facing proper attacking talent. What he is however is the best performing winger at this club, and should be the no. 1 choice there. During last year's run in he was our best player.

What does he get as a thank you, being dropped for an undercooked Memphis and told he's no Neymar(Very few players in this world are).

m1y2

He's not a defender, and that would just expose him especially when facing proper attacking talent. What he is however is the best performing winger at this club, and should be the no. 1 choice there. During last year's run in he was our best player.

What does he get as a thank you, being dropped for an undercooked Memphis and told he's no Neymar(Very few players in this world are).
We need a quality coming from fullbacks as our build up is too patient so we need attacking threat or something extra from all positions so if Smalling can carry the ball away be a threat on corners, Blind can pass, than fuullbacks need to put in quality crosses, overlap "wingers" and create something. Darmian is dare going forward, he actually looks like he can't even make 5m pass, control the ball and can't dribble at all, young is good option there. Yes he can be valuable from flanks when on form but is the fattie up top going to be benched any time soon?

And if we have quality on wings, Young is a good attacking option from fullback, as I said he's clever player qho can adjust, he's brain unlike Valencia...

btw the gme agains Arsenal hen Young was found out was a bit harsh game for him as Carrick with Sweinsteigger were totally destroyed in midfield as expected and the whole defense was having a mere maybe apart Smalling but Blind and Darmian were even worse IMO and it's more natural position for them..

If it was me, I'd bench Rooney immidiately and give start to Pereira from the left, Lingard from the right, Young as RB, Darmian can't play next game anyway, he's got fifth yellow, if Valencia doesn't recover, we will be forced to play someone from academy, oh that would be too good if we actually gave a chance to Varela, but dreams don't happen these days, in that moment I'd like Young to start from the LW position..

K2K

We need a quality coming from fullbacks as our build up is too patient so we need attacking threat or something extra from all positions so if Smalling can carry the ball away be a threat on corners, Blind can pass, than fuullbacks need to put in quality crosses, overlap "wingers" and create something. Darmian is dare going forward, he actually looks like he can't even make 5m pass, control the ball and can't dribble at all, young is good option there. Yes he can be valuable from flanks when on form but is the fattie up top going to be benched any time soon?

And if we have quality on wings, Young is a good attacking option from fullback, as I said he's clever player qho can adjust, he's brain unlike Valencia...

btw the gme agains Arsenal hen Young was found out was a bit harsh game for him as Carrick with Sweinsteigger were totally destroyed in midfield as expected and the whole defense was having a mere maybe apart Smalling but Blind and Darmian were even worse IMO and it's more natural position for them..

If it was me, I'd bench Rooney immidiately and give start to Pereira from the left, Lingard from the right, Young as RB, Darmian can't play next game anyway, he's got fifth yellow, if Valencia doesn't recover, we will be forced to play someone from academy, oh that would be too good if we actually gave a chance to Varela, but dreams don't happen these days, in that moment I'd like Young to start from the LW position..
You make good points, although somethings like Rooney being dropped or Varela evidently wont happen.

As for the attacking fullback, I agree and this is another case of us missing Shaw very badly. But didnt we suffer from the same thing last season, such that we should have solved this problem in the Summer? Thats on the manager.

Man Utd 1:0 Moscow

dsch

He's having a very good game. He's making the kind of impact we were all expecting when Valencia played there.

Status
Not open for further replies.