Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Another season of this guy playing as a main fullback.

Can't be anything more depressing.

NinjaFletch

Of all the baffling things some posters managed to convince themselves of over the summer the idea that Young is good enough was the strangest.

redpatron

this place really though valencia and darmian was shite and to start young in his place, found out he's more shite.

I'll try Young at RW and get Darmian or Bailly to play rb.

M Bison

Supports
York City
We’ve got bigger problems than him, no world beater but at least he plays for the shirt, one of only a few who can say that.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Of all the baffling things some posters managed to convince themselves of over the summer the idea that Young is good enough was the strangest.
Totally agree with this. It spread to the England furor as well.

He's entirely mediocre. Not great pace anymore, not great in the air, not great defensively, not good offensively. Basically just doesn't make a ton of mistakes.

AndyJ1985

I know right? fecking Ashley Young good enough to be first choice full back for Manchester United. Beggars belief

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ashley Young a full back? :lol:

criticalanalysis

He was absolute dog sh|te. Every 2nd touch on the ball was to set himself up to launch it down the byline.

Valencia, who is not the answer long term, has been badly missed.

The 'effort' he puts in is really just huffing, puffing and over the top gesticulations to prove he's 'doing it for the shirt'. Boll0cks.

Coops73

fecking rubbish, he’s a big part of what is wrong with our club.

shaky

Don't think anyone should be criticising Ashley Young. He always tries his best. His best is nowhere near good enough to make him a regular for Utd mind you, but that's another issue.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Our whole right-hand side was a gaping hole down which Brighton found spaces to exploit throughout the game. Young didn't do himself any favours but Fred and Mata were abysmal at covering the spaces and tracking back players on his side. This always makes things difficult for a FB.

R'hllor

The amount of people had a go at others, because they said some things when it comes to his play :lol:

Canagel

I knew he wasn't good enough last season already but there you go. He hasn't been good enough for the position he was bought to play in. If we were ruthless we would've gotten rid of him long time ago. Instead he gets moved around in various positions and does feck all. I'd rather have Darmian actually and he's shite too. What a dire state.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was shocking today, but I hope it was the combination of rustiness from his holiday and rustiness on the right.

It's important to remember that he was good enough in the first half of last season. It's easy to forget that on this forum sometimes. Of course he then proceeded to not be good enough in the second half of the season, and as such it is definitely worrying about whether he can do it this season or not. Shaw has started the season fairly well so maybe Young won't get back to first choice again.

Idxomer

He has had 2 months of good performances, three if I'm being generous across the last 4 seasons. Somehow that earned him a couple of contract extensions and not looking for a replacement to his role in the market. Like @Minimalist said he epitomized a lot of what's wrong with the club right now starting from insisting on accepting mediocrity year after year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People will pretend like Mourinho doesn't want him and having to make do. Called him a 50 game a season player. I'm just too weak.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I like Young a lot. I think he's great backup and always has been. It's incredibly frustrating to have him as first choice though (I know he's kinda played backup today).

Backrow Singer

He’s so wasteful with the football it’s almost laughable. So, so wasteful. He has so many opportunities but doesn’t do anywhere near enough with the majority of them.

He tries though bless him, I’ll give him that.

Terrible. As bad a performance as I've ever seen in a United shirt. Completely screwed the defence up and his horrendous positioning was directly to blame for all three of their goals.

MAME DIOUF 32

Worst I've seen him play in a long time. Looked worryingly like he's got old overnight. Hopefully a blip, or this is going to be a long season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He has had 2 months of good performances, three if I'm being generous across the last 4 seasons. Somehow that earned him a couple of contract extensions and not looking for a replacement to his role in the market. Like @Minimalist said he epitomized a lot of what's wrong with the club right now starting from insisting on accepting mediocrity year after year.
I'm sorry but that is simply not true.

LVG's last season and Mourinho's first season both went the same way. Young started as last choice leftback both seasons, but eventually he got his chance and ended up continuing there because he was playing quite well, comfortably outperforming our other options (Shaw, Blind, Rojo and Darmian). Last season was the first time he's come into the season as arguably first choice, and he was good for the first half of the season. Yes he was poor in the second half of the season and that is a worrying sign going forward, but he's had far more than 2-3 months of good performances. Overall he has been our best fullback over that period. He was poor when played in more attacking roles though.

Djemba-Djemba

Another season of this guy playing as a main fullback.

Can't be anything more depressing.
It's actually staggering we're in the 2018/2019 season and Ashley fecking young is playing at full back for Manchester United.

The money we've spent in the last 5 years and yet it's come to this. It's a shambles.

Patrick08

The thing is he can put shocking performances after shocking performances but he' ll never be treated like Shaw or other young players who make the mistakes as well, which is what baffles me.

Pyro19

Left our defence completely exposed and is a shit on a turd of an attacking footballer. Didn't he play as a winger at Aston Villa? How the feck can he not make a simple cross into the box from his favoured right foot is beyond me.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was so rusty, no excuses though, that was the worst he's played for some time. His corners were so erratic, no purpose to them at all.

peridigm

How on earth is he still starting for us? At RB of all places. I've no doubt as soon as Valencia comes back which may be Monday, he will be back on the left with Shaw on the bench. Not stating Shaw is a lot better but he's certainly done enough this preseason to deserve a starting spot in his natural position rather than a converted 33 year old winger. This should be his last season at United. He should go to MLS for a swan song.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
How on earth is he still starting for us? At RB of all places. I've no doubt as soon as Valencia comes back which may be Monday, he will be back on the left with Shaw on the bench. Not stating Shaw is a lot better but he's certainly done enough this preseason to deserve a starting spot in his natural position rather than a converted 33 year old winger. This should be his last season at United. He should go to MLS for a swan song.
We’re unlucky to have both our RB options injured. Darmian is a write off.

The reason why he still plays at LB is down to Shaw, if he can’t beat Young for a place then I’m worried for him.

peridigm

We’re unlucky to have both our RB options injured. Darmian is a write off.

The reason why he still plays at LB is down to Shaw, if he can’t beat Young for a place then I’m worried for him.
Jose complimented Darmian, played him all of preseason presumably to get him fit for the season once Valencia was injured, plays him the first game then he’s dropped for Young who had no preseason and about two weeks training. Makes no sense. Darmian is not great but I’m certain he was the better option Sunday. If he’s not going to play, sell him for cheap. Least he’d be off the wages instead of collecting a wage riding the bench.

The state of our full back positions just rubs salt in the wound that was our transfer window. I hope Dalot proves to be a worthy buy. If there was any positions that needed to be strengthened first, it was the FB. Not CB or CM. But here we are.

I don’t even know anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.