Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

He did exactly the same thing in the first half though and it worked... so I can see why he thought he could do it again.

De Gea also made a really bad kick out that could have cost us, Lindelof too lost the ball in a bad place and could have costs us.... thankfully they didn't, and unlucky for Young his did, but he did the best possible thing you can do in that situation and make up for it with a very good goal. I don't see why that shouldn't be the focus in this thread - kind of sad that a lot of posts in this thread start with the negative before talking about the positive (or are just outright negative).
While you have a very good point in listing De Gea's kick, and Lindelof's mistake, all players make mistakes, Young's cost a goal and it will draw much more attention. De Gea also should have cleared the ball in that situation and frankly I don't remember the Lindelof lost ball, Young should have cleared it at first

Member 115509

He is United's version of James Milner - or alternatively James Milner is Liverpool's Ashley Young if you prefer it that way ;)

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Luckily it didn't cost us, and this 3 goal was a big reason of us seeing out the game. If Palace came out and equalized after that feck up, by none other than our captain, hardly anyone would have shown sympathy if he raised his hand and said it was my fault. One of the reason is that so many of this bunch have regularly done the talking but have let us down on the pitch, imo.

On the other hand Zaha is one of the most physically impressive players in the league, so taking him on, on the edge of our box was one very dumb decision and Ashley as experienced as he is, should have cleared it.
Yes he messed up. But he wasn't the only one so this "none other than our captain" crap doesn't sit with me. Yes, he took the blame, but there was a lot of football to be played before the ball went in the goal. If it had been a goal that came directly from Zaha to Ward then I would say it was all Young. But there were 4 passes and a couple missed clearances that happened after Young's feck up, and as bad as that feck up was, how was Ward that wide open on the goal? BUt I get it, Lindeloff and Shaw are in our good books now so we don't mention when they make mistakes and only pick out our scapegoats...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Superb piece of management to bring on Bailly and push him further up, I felt as though they were starting to get the better of him down that flank and he still had the pace to really trouble ward - Dalot didn't really have that. Overall quite good though.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
We can obviously do better than him, but the hate he gets from United fans is criminal.
Always plays with his heart in his sleeve. You can see how much he loves the club.

I of course want an upgrade but some have such an irrational hatred over him. My housemate actually sighed when he scored last night.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
While you have a very good point in listing De Gea's kick, and Lindelof's mistake, all players make mistakes, Young's cost a goal and it will draw much more attention. De Gea also should have cleared the ball in that situation and frankly I don't remember the Lindelof lost ball, Young should have cleared it at first
He definitely should have cleared it of course - but like you say all players make mistakes, and the way he reacted to his mistake was excellent - and I think that's where the focus should be.

Sylar

We can obviously do better than him, but the hate he gets from United fans is criminal.
Always plays with his heart in his sleeve. You can see how much he loves the club.

I of course want an upgrade but some have such an irrational hatred over him. My housemate actually sighed when he scored last night.
Yeah I agree with all of this. Young held his hands up and admitted his mistake, but he made up for it imo with the goal. Cost us a goal, but then scored one to cancel it out :)

I agree with wanting an upgrade, but I dont see how people can hate him for being picked and played (and well performing better than the other options we have). IMO he shouldnt be a starter next season but have no issues with him being part of the squad.

Bola

I'm glad he is around for another season.

Passion, leadership, hard work and he is able to cover both full back positions, in addition to being a defensive winger when needed

From what we've seen of Dalot, we do need to sign an experienced RB who can be 1st choice until Dalot is ready

Kostov

Yes he messed up. But he wasn't the only one so this "none other than our captain" crap doesn't sit with me. Yes, he took the blame, but there was a lot of football to be played before the ball went in the goal. If it had been a goal that came directly from Zaha to Ward then I would say it was all Young. But there were 4 passes and a couple missed clearances that happened after Young's feck up, and as bad as that feck up was, how was Ward that wide open on the goal? BUt I get it, Lindeloff and Shaw are in our good books now so we don't mention when they make mistakes and only pick out our scapegoats...
I will give them the benefit of the doubt, yes. Because they did their job accordingly, if Young did the same nobody would have been caught disorganized because the captain lost the ball in a dangerous place. Even if you look at how the cross came in, Pogba and Young still hold more responsibility than Shaw and Lindelof imo.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I will give them the benefit of the doubt, yes. Because they did their job accordingly, if Young did the same nobody would have been caught disorganized because the captain lost the ball in a dangerous place. Even if you look at how the cross came in, Pogba and Young still hold more responsibility than Shaw and Lindelof imo.
How could they have "done their job accordingly" if Ward is that wide open to head it in from 6 yards? Zaha didn't take the ball off Young and then immediately pass the ball the Ward. There were 4 passes, a couple missed tackles/clearances and about 10 seconds of play between Zaha getting the ball and Ward scoring. Plenty of time for Ward to be picked up. Especially in such a dangerous area. But go ahead and scapegoat Young some more and give everyone else a free pass. That seems to be the trend around here anyways. Just imagine if that was Jones playing in Lindeloff's position. Caf would be going nuts...

Annihilate Now!

Scout
How could they have "done their job accordingly" if Ward is that wide open to head it in from 6 yards? Zaha didn't take the ball off Young and then immediately pass the ball the Ward. There were 4 passes, a couple missed tackles/clearances and about 10 seconds of play between Zaha getting the ball and Ward scoring. Plenty of time for Ward to be picked up. Especially in such a dangerous area. But go ahead and scapegoat Young some more and give everyone else a free pass. That seems to be the trend around here anyways. Just imagine if that was Jones playing in Lindeloff's position. Caf would be going nuts...
I'd say it was more on Sanchez then Lindelof or Shaw, he just let the man go.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is United's version of James Milner - or alternatively James Milner is Liverpool's Ashley Young if you prefer it that way ;)
This. If Young took our penalties and we were on top of the league everyone would be loving him like they do Milner. We need to upgrade on him of course but he is and has been a real United player for a few years now in my eyes.

Not a defender and it shows, but does really well 1on1 with just some pace, grit and determination. Lost his man for the one big free header chance.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
So you want to blame a forward for not marking the man on the 6 yard box where the defenders are??? But again, Sanchez is one of the scapegoats along with Young, Lukaku and Jones so it makes sense...
well if you watch the play, Sanchez tracks him to the edge of the box, and then just lets him go after that. Wingers mark full-backs... or they pass them on, and clearly there was no communication between Shaw and Sanchez.

Kostov

Well you are the one completely disregarding how easily that palace player got by Pogba and Young before the cross. Take a look and pay attention how it caught off guard especially Shaw, but no I’m the one scapegoating Young here.

HJ12

Since we are still short of our regulars for a while, do you guys think a Dalot - Young combination could work but with the roles swapped around? So have Young playing in his old winger role with Dalot at fullback? For an old man, he still appears lightning quick and will make for some vicious counter-attacking (the break near the end of the Palace game when he did end up playing further up the pitch, with Bailly playing right back comes to mind).

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
well if you watch the play, Sanchez tracks him to the edge of the box, and then just lets him go after that. Wingers mark full-backs... or they pass them on, and clearly there was no communication between Shaw and Sanchez.
You didn't say "Shaw and Sanchez" the first time though did you? You said Sanchez. No word of Shaw at all, or Lindeloff who was his nearest man...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Well you are the one completely disregarding how easily that palace player got by Pogba and Young before the cross. Take a look and pay attention how it caught off guard especially Shaw, but no I’m the one scapegoating Young here.
Yes, you were scapegoating Young :lol:. You said it was all his fault. it's only now that you are bringing up other players...

Annihilate Now!

Scout
You didn't say "Shaw and Sanchez" the first time though did you? You said Sanchez. No word of Shaw at all, or Lindeloff who was his nearest man...
erm... yeah I did? I said it was "more on Sanchez then Lindelof and Shaw" as simply leaving your man is the worse crime in the play.

Litch

This. If Young took our penalties and we were on top of the league everyone would be loving him like they do Milner. We need to upgrade on him of course but he is and has been a real United player for a few years now in my eyes.

Not a defender and it shows, but does really well 1on1 with just some pace, grit and determination. Lost his man for the one big free header chance.
Make you right. Just on the forum list of players people don't like and that does influence how he is seen. He was never really liked from when we signed him from Villa, and even more when people found out he was on 100k at the time. Like you said, there's upgrades but playing for Utd isn't just about ability (as we seen already), he fits into the O'Shea, Phil N, Fletch, Fortune, Park et al who give 100% when they put the shirt on. Sometimes that counts for more than anything else.

Kostov

Yes, you were scapegoating Young :lol:. You said it was all his fault. it's only now that you are bringing up other players...
It is his fault because he firstly lost the ball in a very unnecessary way then failed to block the cross with a very weak attempt for a block, he had a hand in it both times imo. Shaw, Lindelof and Pogba will have an easy ride on this one for me because I feel hey were let down by Young. Luckily it didn't cost us, but you would expect better from a seasoned pro like Young.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It is his fault because he firstly lost the ball in a very unnecessary way then failed to block the cross with a very weak attempt for a block, he had a hand in it both times imo. Shaw, Lindelof and Pogba will have an easy ride on this one for me because I feel hey were let down by Young. Luckily it didn't cost us, but you would expect better from a seasoned pro like Young.
Yeah, blame is on Young for this. Also not sure what Pogba could have done as the other player who won the ball was already on the move and quicker than Pogba, slightest of mistake would have been penalty to Palace.

Shaw lost his man there but it was all just pin ball stuff. It was all because of Young's failure to clear the ball.

Also tbf to Young, instead of just clearing the ball he thought he can retain the possession, which isn't such a bad decision, just execution was poor.

Kostov

Yeah, blame is on Young for this. Also not sure what Pogba could have done as the other player who won the ball was already on the move and quicker than Pogba, slightest of mistake would have been penalty to Palace.

Shaw lost his man there but it was all just pin ball stuff. It was all because of Young's failure to clear the ball.

Also tbf to Young, instead of just clearing the ball he thought he can retain the possession, which isn't such a bad decision, just execution was poor.
Agreed.

I already said luckily it didn't cost us, and Ashley raising his hand and saying it's on him is only good for the squad moral.

@SadlerMUFC I really don't want to add anymore to it, all players make mistakes it's important that we recover and they did that brilliantly.

roonster09

Scout
Agreed.

I already said luckily it didn't cost us, and Ashley raising his hand and saying it's on him is only good for the squad moral.

@SadlerMUFC I really don't want to add anymore to it, all players make mistakes it's important that we recover and they did that brilliantly.
Yeah Young just took the responsibility for this which is always good.

Andersons Dietician

Wasn’t Shaw’s man, he’s watching Bashtuyai because Sanchez has switched off and let Ward go then when the ball shows Shaw has a two.
Anyway, wasn’t Ashley’s only fault in the game, there were quite a few lapses in defending and just moments when he was not correctly positioned, saying that the mistake he makes, there is so much that happens after that where there are numerous opportunities to clear it but it just becomes a pin ball situation and I’d rather Ashley tried to find someone as he does numerous times there than just punt it as really there shouldn’t have been as much danger as there was from that position.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Make you right. Just on the forum list of players people don't like and that does influence how he is seen. He was never really liked from when we signed him from Villa, and even more when people found out he was on 100k at the time. Like you said, there's upgrades but playing for Utd isn't just about ability (as we seen already), he fits into the O'Shea, Phil N, Fletch, Fortune, Park et al who give 100% when they put the shirt on. Sometimes that counts for more than anything else.
Yeah. Remember when Di Maria, a much more talented player, downed tools when he couldn't handle the big pressure that comes with playing for Man Utd? Who was the one that stepped up? Young. He has 24 total of goals and assist since being moved to fullback by Van Gaal in 2014. It is not his fault we haven't recruited better. He is winger who made a career for himself out of giving his utmost and it has worked. He has been much better than Darmian, Rojo and many others who we bought. He deserves credit for stepping up where others have failed. He has helped the club and is very similar to those guys you mentioned, they all proved their value in their own way.

roonster09

Scout
Wasn’t Shaw’s man, he’s watching Bashtuyai because Sanchez has switched off and let Ward go then when the ball shows Shaw has a two.
Anyway, wasn’t Ashley’s only fault in the game, there were quite a few lapses in defending and just moments when he was not correctly positioned, saying that the mistake he makes, there is so much that happens after that where there are numerous opportunities to clear it but it just becomes a pin ball situation and I’d rather Ashley tried to find someone as he does numerous times there than just punt it as really there shouldn’t have been as much danger as there was from that position.
Yeah, just checked the goal again. Yeah Sanchez just stopped tracking and then Shaw had 2 players to mark and he was yard or 2 behind the player. So yeah unfair to blame Shaw.

Based Adnan

As far as I'm concerned his goal cancelled out his own mistake and mistake aside he was having a bad game.

Bwuk

No idea why he’s ahead of Dalot, and no idea how people find his performances acceptable.

Based Adnan

The fact he plays week in week out, is our captain, and we just renewed his contract is an absolute embarrassment and a prime example of our shocking squad management in recent years. Costs us goal after goal week in week out and is bloody hopeless in possession. Does nothing but hoof it down the right wing and I'm yet to see this 'experience and leadership' people love to say he brings to the squad.

Ole has to come in for some criticism as well for not dropping him or subbing him despite dropping shite performances consistently.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Individually one of the worst seasons I've ever seen, he's so shite it's almost comical at this point. Game after game he's giving away goals for free. What is it with our managers and having irreplaceable favourites who can't be dropped.

BlackBen

What’s the point of this guy? Absolutely wasteful with the ball and seems to always cost us a goal.He is a complete liability.

dove

Vintage performance from our captain today. Worked really hard and... well, that's about it. Absolutely useless and it must be seriously humiliating for him that a 19 year old RB looks much better with the ball than him, a former winger. His crossing is just terrible as well, I have no idea why he is on corners and free kicks. Shocking.

Santos J

Just not good enough. Has the heart but the ability isn't there any more, gets caught constantly defensively and it seems like nearly every cross he puts in is terrible.

KennyBurner

This man has singlehandedly gifted the opposition 3 goals in the last 2 games. The evil you have done is enough....pls join Valencia and hang your boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.