g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ask admin a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rampo

Hi Admins/mods, can someone help me with the process of becoming a Scout. I have gone through the FAQs thread in the forum, but that doesn't contain the procedure/mechanism to reach out to the mods for this

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Suddenly it became a mess to type on the phone. I have the Swiftkey app and if you use the shortcuts like one should then it just writes some gibberish instead of the suggested word.

I've got no problem typing in any other app or game and I haven't encountered this problem on other websites.

I'm using the Chrome app to browse on the phone and I have recently updated Android so maybe it has something to do with it?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Suddenly it became a mess to type on the phone. I have the Swiftkey app and if you use the shortcuts like one should then it just writes some gibberish instead of the suggested word.

I've got no problem typing in any other app or game and I haven't encountered this problem on other websites.

I'm using the Chrome app to browse on the phone and I have recently updated Android so maybe it has something to do with it?
I've got the same problem, only happens on the caf too.

Varun

Staff
Hi Admins/mods, can someone help me with the process of becoming a Scout. I have gone through the FAQs thread in the forum, but that doesn't contain the procedure/mechanism to reach out to the mods for this
The mod team approaches posters when there's a vacancy. There's no application process.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"

I have this issue. Thought it was SwiftKey so I uninstalled and went with gboard. The problem still exists. :( @Niall @Damien

Last edited:

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Has the old link to the forum changed for good?
My bookmark (/forum.php) takes me to an error page now but /forums works
Yes that changed long ago. You should update your bookmark.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I have this issue. Thought it was SwiftKey so I uninstalled and went with gboard. The problem still exists. :( @Niall @Damien
I use Chrome on my phone, no add-ons. All was fine until a couple of days ago. Now getting really odd behaviour, like the auto-correct has gone mad, with the cursor skipping around and switching randomly (it seems) between type over and insert. Again - I'm only seeing it on the Café at the moment.

Summit

I use Chrome on my phone, no add-ons. All was fine until a couple of days ago. Now getting really odd behaviour, like the auto-correct has gone mad, with the cursor skipping around and switching randomly (it seems) between type over and insert. Again - I'm only seeing it on the Café at the moment.
Yeah it is only on the caf for me too. I use Chrome as well, but I can't use my phone atm because of this issues. Prediction words when pressed just end up a jumble of letters, and when I don't use them the space bar inserts random letters instead of a space.

Unmutual

How come there isn't an SSL cert for this site? ie a https option.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
How come there isn't an SSL cert for this site? i.e. a https option.
You would have to ask @Niall but I believe it is a bit of a pain to implement and do we really need it on this forum?

I recently oversaw implementing SSL on my employer's Moodle site with a very large user base and it took a few months of testing on stage/UAT servers before we were confident to go to production. This forum is smaller and simpler but the effort would still not be insignificant.

Unmutual

You would have to ask @Niall but I believe it is a bit of a pain to implement and do we really need it on this forum?

I recently oversaw implementing SSL on my employer's Moodle site with a very large user base and it took a few months of testing on stage/UAT servers before we were confident to go to production. This forum is smaller and simpler but the effort would still not be insignificant.
I think the rule of thumb is that any website with a login field should be https at this point in time. Besides, new users at redcafe are asked not only for email address and password, but also date of birth, plus optional information like their home town or country of origin, which many users will provide. Personally speaking, I'd hope that's enough to justify a secure connection.

I can't speak for how complicated it would be, but you'd only need to secure the login/signup page anyway. But since i have no idea how the site is hosted & know nothing about xenforo generally, I accept that even doing that may be very complicated & no-one wants the site to fall over for an extended period.

Another consideration is that Chrome is shortly going to start flagging any site not using https more prominantly as Not Secure in the address bar, which doesn't look great. https://security.googleblog.com/2018/02/a-secure-web-is-here-to-stay.html

Unmutual

I had a site last year and added Let's Encrypt which is free, it was super easy to install. Took a couple of minutes.
Yeah, Lets Encrypt rules, I used it for my personal site.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I had a site last year and added Let's Encrypt which is free, it was super easy to install. Took a couple of minutes.
Yeah, I did the same (did your hosting use Let's Encrypt or did you have to install it via the shell? I did the latter) except for like a year later the cron job I used for auto-renewals stopped and the certbot acted weird so my site fecked up and couldn't be accessed for ages while I was trying to sort it.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Yeah, I did the same (did your hosting use Let's Encrypt or did you have to install it via the shell? I did the latter) except for like a year later the cron job I used for auto-renewals stopped and the certbot acted weird so my site fecked up and couldn't be accessed for ages while I was trying to sort it.
It was in the hosts cPanel, I just had to fill a few fields and it was done.

I didn't keep the site up for that long after, but it seemed to work fine while I had it on there.

Oscie

Why doesn't the thread about the new TV rights deal appear in the football section when the info bar at the top suggests that's where it is?

Revan

Assumptionman
Anyone else having problems with auto-completion in Android phones. It started a few weeks ago, and it makes writing in the phone painful, almost undoable.

It is the only website I have seen this happening, and while I am in PC (be it on Linux or Windows OS), everything seems to work.

stu_1992

Anyone else having problems with auto-completion in Android phones. It started a few weeks ago, and it makes writing in the phone painful, almost undoable.

It is the only website I have seen this happening, and while I am in PC (be it on Linux or Windows OS), everything seems to work.
Not sure about auto-completion but I remember it being very buggy on a post I tried to make this past weekend from my Android phone. I think for some reason characters were mixed up. Only have seen it on this website so far.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
This is for the site admins rather than forum admins and has come about after recent discussions about privacy and anonimity.

Is there any reason why there is no SSL security certificate for the www site?

They’re quite inexpensive at about £25-£30 a year and even cheaper on multi-year deals. I’m sure enough people would donate to get one as everyone would benefit.

They’re pretty easy to install as well in most webhosts they can be done in a few clicks. Can advise if need be.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Using Swiftkey? Apparently loads of people are facing the same issues, the developers have messed something there.

It happens on Chrome rather than a RedCafe problem. I've downloaded SwiftKey beta and it's working fine for me now.

Revan

Assumptionman
Using Swiftkey? Apparently loads of people are facing the same issues, the developers have messed something there.

It happens on Chrome rather than a RedCafe problem. I've downloaded SwiftKey beta and it's working fine for me now.
I am using the default keyboard and I am having problems only in Caf (although this is the only forum I use while in the phone). On other things that I use Chrome from, I am not having any problems.

Summit

I am using the default keyboard and I am having problems only in Caf (although this is the only forum I use while in the phone). On other things that I use Chrome from, I am not having any problems.
Yeah I'm having the same issue. I now use Brave instead of Chrome when browsing the caf on my phone because using Chrome isn't an option while this problem persists.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
HTTPS will happen in the not too distant future @Ultimate Grib. There are a number of technical hurdles to overcome to make it happen properly and it’s not top of my priority list right now.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's a problem for Xenforo on Android following the latest Chrome update. There isn't a current fix for our version of Xenforo.

From the Xenforo community, https://xenforo.com/community/threads/latest-android-chrome-keyboard-suggestion-issues.142504/page-2
"Tell them to switch off the rich text editor in their preferences."

Which is a bit of a no-win solution.
Personally I've downloaded Edge on my phone and I'm using that for the Café - obviously not ideal, but functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.