Balotelli signs for Liverpool - Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Also, it doesn't help that only Sturridge dared to stand up against Balotelli.
Sturridge shouldn't have done anything at all. Henderson needs to fight his own battles. That sturridge was getting all huffed up on his behalf only strengthens the image that he can't.

Was sulking like a twat after the goal too. He's normally more sound than that.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sturridge shouldn't have done anything at all. Henderson needs to fight his own battles. That sturridge was getting all huffed up on his behalf only strengthens the image that he can't.

Was sulking like a twat after the goal too. He's normally more sound than that.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say actually. He shouldn't have acted like that on the pitch, but he was in the right imo though. Just say it afterwards in the dressing room then.

ottosec

Pretty poor from everyone involved:

- Brentan choosing Henderson to take penalties over Balotelli
- Balotelli being Balotelli
- Henderson failing to impose himself as captain
- Gerrard talking shit in the media and drawing more attention to the incident

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
His form has definitely been better the last few matches. Don't know why people would try and argue otherwise. He's a lot more positive and involved from what I have seen. A few people on twitter were saying the real issue from the penalty thing was Henderson being a "weak captain." Thoughts on that from the Liverpool supporters? I can see why people would say that. But considering how petulant Balotelli can be it was probably easier to just give in at the time and deal with it later.
Henderson made the right call.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool

Henderson starting a fight on the pitch does no one any good. Balotelli is an idiot. He'll rightly get a bollocking behind closed doors and that will be the end of it.

The only person at fault is Balotelli.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

Balotelli can't be chosen from the outset as he wasn't on the pitch.

Why would Balotelli not be your first choice peno taker anyway, considering he's one of, if not the best in Europe at them.

What's he missed, like 2, 3 ever?
Because Gerrard hardly misses any and Balotelli hasn't been a regular in the team, especially in the starting eleven.
Not denying he is one the best at taking them like.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Why would Balotelli not be your first choice peno taker anyway, considering he's one of, if not the best in Europe at them.

What's he missed, like 2, 3 ever?
I read somewhere he's scored 27 out of 29, but the only one I remember him missing came against Reina last year.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I read somewhere he's scored 27 out of 29, but the only one I remember him missing came against Reina last year.
Think he missed another one against Genoa.

Edit: He did. Poor pen.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Not sure why this thread is still being dragged on? Gerrard giving Balotelli a bollocking could surely have warranted another thread...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Once Balotelli takes the ball it puts pressure on Henderson. Can understand why he was willing to let Mario take it after that. Cannot understand why Balotelli is not responsible for penalties in Gerrard's absence anyway.

Varun

Staff
Should have had a new thread. Didnt even bother clicking till now thinking it'd be about him being shit as usual.

MUFCpiffgawd

1) I doubt sturridge was mad at balotelli taking the PK from Henderson as much as "him" wanting to take it instead if Henderson wasn't going to.
2) Gerrard is poor captain for saying that after the game. Nobody on the team blamed him for costing them a title(which he did) by playing Ba in :lol:
3) Balotelli is a better penalty taker than Henderson so logically people shouldn't have a problem with him taking it.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I've been pretty sweet for a season and a half thanks. Coming on here during that period has helped. :)
I'm surprised seeing MU above you after last season and the firestorm they've been through has you in such a good mood. Unless you're settling for mediocrity.

Minimalist

First time I've genuinely felt a bit sorry for Balotelli. Has an excellent record at penalties, takes an assertive stance by taking the ball to give his side the win, puts away the penalty like a piece of piss and then his team mates barely muster any enthusiasm to celebrate the goal that would give them a very hard fought victory.

Don't know why but it just left a real sour taste in my mouth in pure football terms.

Personally I think Gerrard showed just how much he's lacking in basic intelligence with his comments. Regardless of what he thinks, as captain and a key part of Liverpool FC he should brush over it to reject any notion of discontent. Now everyone thinks Liverpool have a dressing room problem with Balotelli. Captain fantastic, my arse.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I'm surprised seeing MU above you after last season and the firestorm they've been through has you in such a good mood. Unless you're settling for mediocrity.
I guess if this was the end of May and the table still looked like it does and Liverpool hadn't made a mark in the cups it would be disappointing.

Fact is, in just under 3 years in the post Rodgers' Liverpool has progressed and developed aside from a 3/4 month period earlier this season. The squad has started to settle, some excellent young talent emerging and form has been largely excellent since early December.

The point is that there's a general sense of optimism around Liverpool. That can't be said about United right now who are getting results but showing a lack of coherence and lack identity. They're no longer invulnerable and the squad doesn't 'look' like a United set-up right now.

Of course the league table doesn't lie but this is a whole lot more positive for Liverpool fans compared to a few years ago when United looked indefatigable.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I guess if this was the end of May and the table still looked like it does and Liverpool hadn't made a mark in the cups it would be disappointing.

Fact is, in just under 3 years in the post Rodgers' Liverpool has progressed and developed aside from a 3/4 month period earlier this season. The squad has started to settle, some excellent young talent emerging and form has been largely excellent since early December.

The point is that there's a general sense of optimism around Liverpool. That can't be said about United right now who are getting results but showing a lack of coherence and lack identity. They're no longer invulnerable and the squad doesn't 'look' like a United set-up right now.

Of course the league table doesn't lie but this is a whole lot more positive for Liverpool fans compared to a few years ago when United looked indefatigable.
Fact is MU and the PL were never going to be the same from the day Ferguson decided to walk away yet there they are sitting 3rd yet Liverpool sit 7th even after 3 years of Rodgers. Who knows where you'll both end up but I suspect you're more than a little disappointed that MU are looking down on you at the moment.

Having said all that we are taking this thread off topic so I'll stop there.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Because Gerrard hardly misses any and Balotelli hasn't been a regular in the team, especially in the starting eleven.
Not denying he is one the best at taking them like.
If Gerrard hardly misses a penalty then Balotelli is a penalty god because his record is way better than Gerrard's.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
If Gerrard hardly misses a penalty then Balotelli is a penalty god because his record is way better than Gerrard's.
In recent years Gerrard has been excellent. His stats are somewhat distorted by his younger days where he missed a fair few.

That said, Lambert and Balotelli both have excellent records which are better than Gerrard.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Personally I think Gerrard showed just how much he's lacking in basic intelligence with his comments. Regardless of what he thinks, as captain and a key part of Liverpool FC he should brush over it to reject any notion of discontent. Now everyone thinks Liverpool have a dressing room problem with Balotelli. Captain fantastic, my arse.
If he tries to sweep it under the carpet he looks weak, particularly when you know Strachan and Reid are going to have a debate about it right beside him. If he criticises him he "airs his dirty laundry" and causes "dressing room unrest". He was in a lose-lose situation there and that was entirely Balotelli's fault.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Henderson starting a fight on the pitch does no one any good. Balotelli is an idiot. He'll rightly get a bollocking behind closed doors and that will be the end of it.

The only person at fault is Balotelli.
What's worse is that if Henderson did pull the ball away from Balotelli and insist on taking it himself, there would then be a heap load of extra pressure to score it. It was a horrible situation Balotelli put him in.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Saw a video on Facebook earlier of Balotelli attempting to mug a penalty from Eto'o during his Inter days, Zanetti was having none of it.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Gerrard was a bit stupid here to be honest, if he hadn't said anything there wouldn't have been a debate and Rodgers could have dealt with it internally.
Aye he needed to be a bit more diplomatic there, keep any disagreements in house.

Gopher Brown

Gerrard was a bit stupid here to be honest, if he hadn't said anything there wouldn't have been a debate and Rodgers could have dealt with it internally.
Yeah, but it makes fecking beige television, doesn't it? Gerrard was on telly to entertain, I thought his response was refreshing and honest, which is one of the few times you will hear me praise him.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Yeah, but it makes fecking beige television, doesn't it? Gerrard was on telly to entertain, I thought his response was refreshing and honest, which is one of the few times you will hear me praise him.
Oh it was definitely both them things, but he's still Liverpool captain and should have bitten his tongue.

Gopher Brown

Oh it was definitely both them things, but he's still Liverpool captain and should have bitten his tongue.
No, he shouldn't have been on there to start with.

Liverpool knew what they were getting with Balotelli. It was Rodgers' vanity and arrogance which made him think he could change Balotelli into someone a team player who could help his team win the league.

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Why on earth is Henderson the designated taker when Balotelli's on the pitch? I don't rate the guy much but he's a damn good penalty taker.

Nice to see Gerrard throwing Balotelli under the bus. When you consider the fact that nobody moaned about him gifting the ball to Ba last season, it just seems so crass of him to do that. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.