Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darioterios

Would be an upgrade on Carrick in terms of quality but maybe not in terms of fitness. Still, as long as we weren't relying on him to be fit all the time then what harm? The likes of Pirlo and Alonso have made moves late in their career so why not Schweinsteiger, I guess.
Depends. If he wants to combat, he edges Carrick, if you want control and playmaking, he's not

anchan1989

Depends. If he wants to combat, he edges Carrick, if you want control and playmaking, he's not
Sorry, but control and playmaking is Schweinis strong point. Carrick has nothing on him there.
Overall I really rate Carrick but Schweinsteiger is a step ahead, that final step. At least.

RetroStu

Too old and injury prone. If we get him on a free then sure but that should be it.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
How many minutes has he played this year?

He was in the starting lineups for both games V Barcelona so he must be on a run of games.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Interesting, what are the differences between his two persona ?
his public persona is the FC Bayern poster boy, bavarian origin, trophy gf and all that. FCB is boisterous, loud, "mia san mia" etc.
From what i can tell, privately he is a very modest, introverted guy. Also more cosmopolitic than most think he is.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He's missed 20+ games with different injuries this season. No fecking way.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
his public persona is the FC Bayern poster boy, bavarian origin, trophy gf and all that. FCB is boisterous, loud, "mia san mia" etc.
From what i can tell, privately he is a very modest, introverted guy. Also more cosmopolitic than most think he is.
Oh! thanks. I read few years ago that he wanted to have an experience abroad.

JPRouve

Scout
How many minutes has he played this year?

He was in the starting lineups for both games V Barcelona so he must be on a run of games.
According to Squawka he played 1275 mins in Bundesliga, he is 13th in the team despite having missed 4 months at the start of the season.

Last edited:

NJM78

27, substituted on 7 times, taken off 6.
Cool, I was just quoting ESPN..but yeah it's not a lot really but more than Carrick appearance wise and not numerous injuries by all accounts so worth a punt for me as long as one of two CMs signed.

Skills

Snitch
I would have agreed two years ago, but 30 years old and passed his best I can only feel we can do better tbh.
Prilo was older when he moved to Juventus and had his reneissance. Scholes was also older (or the same age) after he came back from his eye problem and had arguably his best season in 06/07. If he wanted a box-to-box midfielder then it'd be fair to say it's too late, but he's a defensive midfielder/deep lying playmaker and at his age he's still got a lot to offer. He'd easily be our best fielder if he came here.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Not too bothered about his age, as I could still see us getting three great years out of him. His injury problems on the other hand...

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
According to Squawka he played 1275 mins in Bundesliga, he is 13rd in the team despite having missed 4 months at the start of the season.
I don't see it has being a risk. All players have injuries, his look to be cleared up during the end of the season. I'd happily take him as an option for midfield. Rather see him than Fellaini anyway near the lineup.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't see it has being a risk. All players have injuries, his look to be cleared up during the end of the season. I'd happily take him as an option for midfield. Rather see him than Fellaini anyway near the lineup.
I agree but you should delete the last sentence, because Walrus is coming for you.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Prilo was older when he moved to Juventus and had his reneissance. Scholes was also older (or the same age) after he came back from his eye problem and had arguably his best season in 06/07. If he wanted a box-to-box midfielder then it'd be fair to say it's too late, but he's a defensive midfielder/deep lying playmaker and at his age he's still got a lot to offer. He'd easily be our best fielder if he came here.
Aye, good points on the above dude. I suppose we can hope he turns out like those two if we sign him. Not so sure myself, but I have always been a huge fan of him.

Bojan11

He was knackered and injured after a gruelling World Cup. Shouldn't compare with Carricks injury.

I'd take him, if we sign another CM too.

RedDF

him and gundogan/schneiderling would leave us with a pretty fantastic options in midfield

RedStarUnited

Bastian turns 31 in the summer, But I wouldnt say he he is finished just yet...

-Xavi was 31 when he played the CL final Vs United in 2011.
-Pirlo was 32 when everyone thought he was finished and signed for Juve in 2011.
-Paul Scholes was 31 in 06/07.
-Carrick was 31 in 12/13 (His best season?)

He is available for free too isnt he? why not.

izec

Bastian turns 31 in the summer, But I wouldnt say he he is finished just yet...

-Xavi was 31 when he played the CL final Vs United in 2011.
-Pirlo was 32 when everyone thought he was finished and signed for Juve in 2011.
-Paul Scholes was 31 in 06/07.
-Carrick was 31 in 12/13 (His best season?)

No, not for free. Contract til 2016

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Manchester United are exploring the possibility of a summer move for German legend Bastian Schweinsteiger.

Sportsmail can reveal that United manager Louis van Gaal believes the Bayern Munich midfielder player would bring experience and European know-how to the centre of his team’s midfield.

It is understood that meetings have already taken place last month between United and go-betweens and that the German international would be open to a move.

United have been asked about their interest in Schweinsteiger three times in recent weeks but have refused to comment.

Schweinsteiger and Van Gaal worked together at Munich when the Dutch coach was in charge of the Bundesliga club and developed a close relationship.

The current United manager knows that the player is the wrong side of the club’s targeted age range for new players but has spoken to chief executive Ed Woodward and both agree that Schweinsteiger is good enough to make an exception.

With a year left on his current deal at Bayern, Schweinsteiger could be available for less than £10million. He would demand high wages and there would be little sell-on value. However, Van Gaal believes he would bring enough to his squad to make the investment worthwhile.

United are desperately short of firepower in the middle of the field and are fundamentally in need of a player to bring them authority and presence. Van Gaal is a fan of Michael Carrick but the England midfielder is beginning to suffer with injuries.

It remains to be seen if United will prioritise Schweinsteiger or pursue other, younger targets first. The know that Bayern will prove tricky to deal with as the Bundesliga do not like to sell to traditional European rivals.

Meanwhile, United sources have revealed they are not overly worried by suggestions from Germany that defensive target Mats Hummels has agreed to stay with Borussia Dortmund.

Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc claimed Hummels had decided to remain at his club but United believe the German international still wants to come to Old Trafford and will continue to keep him high up on their list.
Ian Ladyman DM

That's Mark Ogden and Ian Ladyman running the similar story now.

Kant-ona

No, he isn't it. His contract ends in summer 2016.

It's a bit weird but I can see this happening. Schweinsteiger was asked to sign a new contract after the World Cup - together with Müller and Lahm. Both signed their new contracts a long time ago, but Schweinsteiger didn't. And he didn't really talk about it that much. Why? Maybe he really wants to play in another league before ending his career? Could be.

As mentioned in the Mega-Thread: I adore him. Fantastic player. But he looks a bit tired and injury-prone lately. Sure, he is only 30 years old, but I can't see him playing on his highest level for the next four years or so. And we should be aware of the fact that we would buy a player who is maybe no longer the first choice at Bayern. (I only mention that since a lot of people say that we must consider United as the biggest club in the world. And the biggest clubd in the world could go for first choice players. Like Thiago. :()

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
With 1 year left, he should not cost much. Can still offer 2-3 years of good service so would love for this to happen. Only thing is, I will still not be too comfortable if he is the ONLY addition in CM this summer.

Gerald G

He's got one year left so we should be able to get him on the cheap if he would be willing to come. £10m or under would be fair. Still would need another top quality midfielder I would think. Schweingsteiger could battle it out with Carrick + 1 central midfielder to replace Fellaini.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I agree with this:

Sorry, but control and playmaking is Schweinis strong point. Carrick has nothing on him there.
Overall I really rate Carrick but Schweinsteiger is a step ahead, that final step. At least.
I like Carrick a lot but I'd take Schweinsteiger over him every time.

settembrini

Carrick and Schweinsteiger aren't very similar players at all. Martinez, Alonso etc are their equivalents to Carrick.

Devil may care

He's way too injury prone at this point and 30, we should be going for players with their best ahead.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He'd be an excellent addition as it would allow us to rotate between Carrick and Schweinsteiger, two world class players at what they do but neither is young.

If a good price can be agreed I'd be delighted.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Same no quote stories that had Gundogan touted our way too. Do we reckon there's a tip off from the agent or the club?

Gundogan is leaving, that's confirmed. Could Schweini be leaving for a last challenge or is this the start of a public campaign to get a new deal - seeing as he has 14 months left?

Status
Not open for further replies.