g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

BASTIAN SCHWEINSTEIGER | Skills & Assists | Bayern Munich | 2014/2015

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
This deal looks more driven by marketing potential than footballing sense. IMO, he's just a big name now who'll attract the crowd and fans. His recent injury record is a concern.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
There's a lot of footballing sense in the deal but some people are negative. He's a winner. He brings experience and will have the respect of the players. He will improve those around him and give them confidence. He's vocal. He is a 'leader' which we've lacked - especially centrally. He's got a good range of passing and will help us find the right balance through the center of the pitch. He will perhaps open the German market to us, which we've not really used prior to Kagawa. There are more positives then negatives

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Only seems yesterday he was making his world cup debut. Ever since I have been trying to prize Jim away on football manager, what a signing.

Gopher Brown

Vidic's wife/girlfriend is also called Ana Ivanovic.

Will this be the first time we've ever signed a player whose significant other has an identical name to a former captain's significant other?

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
United always get full attendances pretty much when our strategy was smaller. There were more United fans then Madrid fans to watch a friendly in America and we didn't have Bale or Ronaldo etc. United are spending more because for a long strech we looked for 'value' which cost us Essien, Hazard among other players. We are doing what we have to. Last season, we still saw the kids get plenty of games. In the Premiership, you have Chelsea, City, Arsenal and others all going after top players. We lost an awful lot of experience in the space of 2 years. Giggs and scholes retiring. Sir Alex Retiring. Vidic, Evra, Ferdinand moving on. That's an awful lot of experience lost.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Vidic's wife/girlfriend was also called Ana Ivanovic.

Will this be the first time we've ever signed a player whose significant other has an identical name to a former captain's significant other?
Good question.

littlepeasoup

United always get full attendances pretty much when our strategy was smaller. There were more United fans then Madrid fans to watch a friendly in America and we didn't have Bale or Ronaldo etc. United are spending more because for a long strech we looked about 'value' which cost us Essien, Hazard among other players. We are doing what we have to. Last season, we still saw the kids get plenty of games. In the Premiership, you have Chelsea, City, Arsenal and others all going after top players. We lost an awful lot of experience in the space of 2 years. Giggs and scholes retiring. Sir Alex Retiring. Vidic, Evra, Ferdinand moving on. That's an awful lot of experience lost.
Yep. I know a lot of United fans who would much rather see homegrown lads move through the ranks than see us buy in. At this point, with our squad the way it is, we need to buy in proven quality.

We don't get bored with our team if we're not making loads of signings.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Quick question, re the title. How can two clubs agree a fee and the buying club discuss the transfer on their website when they haven't agreed personal terms? What happens if Schweinsteiger wants more than we're willing to pay?

Aren't we basically in the same situation we are when the MUFC website said we'd agreed a fee with Cardiff to sign Aaron Ramsey?

Weird the way transfers seem to follow such different patterns. Darmian agreed terms weeks before the clubs agreed a fee. It's all very confusing.

Kostur

海尔的老板
This deal looks more driven by marketing potential than footballing sense. IMO, he's just a big name now who'll attract the crowd and fans. His recent injury record is a concern.
Yea, absolutely, just like with Kagawa who was attracting all the Asian fans and that's why we keep him in our dungeons now.

Oh wait.

@Pogue Mahone

I'd assume that both clubs simply agreed the deal, Schweinsteiger gave a green light himself and now some 'minor' things like image rights, commercial stuff that and so on that's being discussed/negotiated now.

Furious George

I remember being Peter Davenport and screaming my own imagined surname as I volleyed against the neighbour's gable wall.

I don't think he really followed football. He didn't call me 'Davenport' when he ran out to celebrate with me. He called me 'Littletwat'.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Quick question, re the title. How can two clubs agree a fee and the buying club discuss the transfer on their website when they haven't agreed personal terms? What happens if Schweinsteiger wants more than we're willing to pay?

Aren't we basically in the same situation we are when the MUFC website said we'd agreed a fee with Cardiff to sign Aaron Ramsey?

Weird the way transfers seem to follow such different patterns. Darmian agreed terms weeks before the clubs agreed a fee. It's all very confusing.
I'm sure they're already agreed in principle, that's why Rummenigge said he'd asked to leave, just some final details to iron out.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Re Ramsey, yes good point

At this stage all we know is that the clubs have agreed a fee.

From all the Twitter stuff it's looking 99% done but it's still possible to fail medical (eg Ruud)

JTW95

Gullible sausage
-------Carrick/Schneiderlin---Schweinsteiger
----Mata---------------Herrera---------------Di Maria

With Depay also in the mix.

:drool::drool::drool:

DarkXaero

Why is this thread still open in the Transfer forum but the one in the United forum is locked? This is a done deal.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It's all pre discussed with the agents. Don't for a second imagine it would go public unless it was 99% concrete. Could you imagine going through all that and then the player just saying "no thanks" :lol: this would have been sorted a long time ago.

DarkXaero

It's all pre discussed with the agents. Don't for a second imagine it would go public unless it was 99% concrete. Could you imagine going through all that and then the player just saying "no thanks" :lol: this would have been sorted a long time ago.
Exactly, whatever is left to be signed is a mere formality, everything has been agreed at this point. Bayern have made it public, and we have made it public. That wouldn't happen if this transfer wasn't 99% done.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

There will have been private discussions in the background between the agent/player and an outline package will have been agreed. Bastian has been in the UK over the last 2 weeks. He really can't say in public or admit to his club he'd agreed any deal prior to clubs reaching a decision.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There will have been private discussions in the background between the agent/player and an outline package will have been agreed. Bastian has been in the UK over the last 2 weeks. He really can't say in public or admit to his club he'd agreed any deal prior to clubs reaching a decision.
Yeah, that's my take on it too. Just interesting the way this isn't always the case. With Darmian, for example, the announcement came as a done deal.

Sultan

Success on the pitch drives revenues first and foremost.

Although he was injured last season, games stats might not be revealing the full facts. Maybe he wasn't picked even when fit?

Sultan

Yeah, that's my take on it too. Just interesting the way this isn't always the case. With Darmian, for example, the announcement came as a done deal.
I also think (more a guess I suppose) Bayern weren't prepared to give him a 3 year deal, and signing for United gives him that further security. Just as is the case with RvP.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I remember being Peter Davenport and screaming my own imagined surname as I volleyed against the neighbour's gable wall.

I don't think he really followed football. He didn't call me 'Davenport' when he ran out to celebrate with me. He called me 'Littletwat'.
Beautiful. :)

Ixion

:lol:

He's exactly the kind of player we missed last season and has a history of working with Van Gaal. It's nothing to do with marketing.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Go the post signing 'meh' feeling where you just want to see them play.

Unlikely lad

Think it might be because Bayern basically announced that he was leaving for United at that press conference earlier today. United then confirmed it a few minutes later.

Status
Not open for further replies.