Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwidow

Think it might be because Bayern basically announced that he was leaving for United at that press conference earlier today. United then confirmed it a few minutes later.
But I think that both clubs agreed on that earlier because Rummenigge had to tell something for the press and fans because of the team presentation. If it would have been a normal training day it would have gone different.

They did not want to lie - and Bastian did not want to say goodbye with all the emotional turmoil today, too.

Unlikely lad

But I think that both clubs agreed on that earlier because Rummenigge had to tell something for the press and fans because of the team presentation. If it would have been a normal training day it would have gone different.
Yeah, I suppose he wasn't going to lie about his absence. Planned beforehand or not, it would explain why United have announced it before agreeing on personal terms.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
This deal looks more driven by marketing potential than footballing sense. IMO, he's just a big name now who'll attract the crowd and fans. His recent injury record is a concern.
He will take our midfield to the next level. Apart from a big injury at the start of the season which made him miss 18 games, his injury record was like any other player. No signing will be able to top Bastian this summer. He's one of our best players if not the best player right now.

RedFish

Would have been a beast of a signing back in the day.

Now he's soon to turn 31 and is missing more and more games, Bayern would be smart to get rid and we would be dumb to buy.
My sentiments exactly. Still harbour hope that he'll destroy the oppposition and carry us to European glory but head says he's already on the decline and a stop gap at best (like RVP). No, Schneiderlin will be the real prize signing....

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
As a follower of ajax i was suprised when we went for blind but then again, that is a player who knows exactly how to play the way van gaal wants.

The same with schweinsteiger. We haven't just bought pirlo or xabi alonso, we bought a player who owes a whole lot to van gaal himself. Not only his experience but his history with LVG will help alot of our kids including januzaj, mcnair, wilson etc.

Furious George

Baby, that was a team. The boys who brought home the cup winners' cup.

It wasn't just a cup, it was a cup winners' cup. A cup of cups, if you will. It doesn't get more glorious or cuppy than that.

THIS IS A CUP.

Montpellier away. Oh, we were born that day.

Hoof the ball

If Schweinsteiger plays no.6, his age will have less bearing on his performance than if he plays no.8. Pirlo has been incredibly influential well into his 30's and barring he stays relatively injury free, I see no reason why Bastian can't exert similar influence.

NotQuiteManc

Not sure if true but Ruminigge did say about Bastian losing faith for Pep, and felt he is not wanted anymore. Plus, being played in a system where he is required to sprint back.

I guess, either Bastian was deployed further up the pitch or there were not enough bodies to cover for him during defending of oppo's counter attacks. Maybe Bayern fans could elaborate that more. IMHO, this would mean, United is going for another midfielder that would do more of the defensive work alongside Bastian a'la Scholes Carrick in the past, and have Herrera/Mata/Rooney/Di Maria further up.

Either way, couldn't wait for the summer friendlies to start. Someone need to start the summer tour's thread for this season.

Blackwidow

Actually I thought Schweinsteiger would leave earlier - 2013 or 2014. And I think the only thing that kept him from leaving before were the injuries. He came out of a streak of injuries, had surgery after the CL final in 2013 - but maybe they started too early after it - Müller-Wohlfahrt brought him with pain killers through the season 2013/14 and the World Cup. After the World Cup he just ordered a couple of months rest to get rid of that circle. That was why he started so late into the last season.

I think the injuries he had should not be the problem. The risk of injuries you have with every players. But the problems of before are gone.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I love that he went to Rummemigge and told them he wanted to move to United. Obviously he would have been aware of our interest, but still. He went in there and effectively said "I want to play for Manchester United, Make it happen". That's the type of player I want here.

Obviously it helps that he's one of the best midfielders on the planet too. :)

izec

I love that he went to Rummemigge and told them he wanted to move to United. Obviously he would have been aware of our interest, but still. He went in there and effectively said "I want to play for Manchester United, Make it happen". That's the type of player I want here.

Not like Small Dave, hasnt the balls to ask for a transfer.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst

Not to down play things but I think the move has more to do with playing for a team managed by Van Gaal than coming to Manchester United. Lucky both can happen.

JB7

That Toy Story gif is unreal. Best one of the season so far. :lol: :lol:

Blackwidow

Do not make a story out of it. It was open since months that it was Schweinsteiger who can decide what to do next. And the relationship between Schweinsteiger and Rummenigge is not the usual player to club president relationship. It is a lot more family like. Bastian is in the club since he was 13/14.

And Rummenigge is CEO of the ECA. The officials at United and Bayern work together there to achieve things since years against FIFA and UEFA because they have a lot of the same interests. They spent a lot evenings together before and know each other - so it probably did not take much more than a phone call... The Thiago transfer ran the same. A phone call between the CEOs of Barcelona and Munich.

MkPaul

learnt from the best
Incredible. Virtually signing Schweinsteiger from nowhere, sealing the deal with Darmian and the amazing gifs. I'm done for the day. Please let me wake up to to more of this :lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.