BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It's better to inherit a team who's lacking in confidence and forgot how to win rather than inherit league title winners?
There's a lot less pressure in taking the job now. First season expectation is top 4 not to challenge for the title and he can shape the squad in anyway he wants as they have performed so poorly.

Plus that title winning squad needed a lot of work due to some players being on their way down (Ferdinand, Vidic, RVP)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There's a lot less pressure in taking the job now. First season expectation is top 4 not to challenge for the title and he can shape the squad in anyway he wants as they have performed so poorly.

Plus that title winning squad needed a lot of work due to some players being on their way down (Ferdinand, Vidic, RVP)
I'd argue there's way more pressure now and we're a worse side

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I'd argue there's way more pressure now and we're a worse side
Ferguson left with 5 titles in the last 7 years. The pressure to maintain that would be huge and even slipping to 3rd for a couple of years would reflect badly. But after Moyes and LVG you are following two massive disasters and bringing some stability in the top 4 for a couple of years would be acceptable.

Plus now people know the squad is a mess and needs major work instead of thinking the likes of Cleverly and Jones are good enough to win titles with

Oneunited26

That question is not an easy one to answer.

What we need is someone who is going to unite the club, bring everyone and everything together and take the club forward. Every manager that gets mentioned will have pros and cons, but what's most important is the character of the man and how he deals with people. Too weak and he won't get the respect, too harsh and stubborn and he will almost instantly be resented, it's all about balance. I think Ancelotti would have been a good option but obviously that ship has sailed. I'm still leaning towards the possibility of Giggs with an experienced support staff, purely because he already has the rapport amongst many of the people already at the club, rather then someone new coming in and having to build new relations with them.
That idea would be something the english FA would go for, instead of getting someone in which the club needs, get another figure head that fits the twisted logic of the board. After the last 2 disasters, the club cannot take another chance, think the club have no chance but appoint Mourinho. Like I have said, it will be interesting to see Mourinho get on working with a club like united, where the board really do not interfere that much, they just give the manager more freedom, and in the one thing that has been the clubs downfall time, mourinho will not be pressured has much as other extremes like chelsea, inter, Madrid

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's better to inherit a team who's lacking in confidence and forgot how to win rather than inherit league title winners?
If he took charge of the 06/07 team going into the 07/08 season.. that is a different matter. This was a team on its way down and in need of a major revamp.. most of us were saying it since 08/09.

DrunkenBeaver

If he took charge of the 06/07 team going into the 07/08 season.. that is a different matter. This was a team on its way down and in need of a major revamp.. most of us were saying it since 08/09.
The most successful period in the club's history and you thought 'this a team on its way down'?

charlenefan

Ferguson left with 5 titles in the last 7 years. The pressure to maintain that would be huge and even slipping to 3rd for a couple of years would reflect badly. But after Moyes and LVG you are following two massive disasters and bringing some stability in the top 4 for a couple of years would be acceptable.

Plus now people know the squad is a mess and needs major work instead of thinking the likes of Cleverly and Jones are good enough to win titles with
At the start of the season though would anyone have taken simply retaining a top 4 finish having done it comfortably last season or would they have wanted a title push?

Assuming Mourinho does come in my expectations for him next season is to get us to finish at least 2nd in the league and a trophy

charlenefan

There were players on their way down but it was still a squad of winners, it's a far cry from that now

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
At the start of the season though would anyone have taken simply retaining a top 4 finish having done it comfortably last season or would they have wanted a title push?

Assuming Mourinho does come in my expectations for him next season is to get us to finish at least 2nd in the league and a trophy
No I expected us to be challenging for the title at the start of the season. But if we did that and fell off and finished 3rd or 4th it would have been progress and not something which would have had him under big pressure.

Well we should probably see what the transfer window is like first. I expect him to get top 3 (at least 4th) and wouldn't be surprised if he manages a strong title challenge.

Rob Bowman

what are they meant to do? announce LVG will be sacked in the summer, like City did with Pelligrini? City were rightly criticised for doing exactly that.
I think any football club with a priority of what is on the pitch would have sacked LVG'SO already was my point.

Then there would be no grounds for all these conspiracy theories.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The most successful period in the club's history and you thought 'this a team on its way down'?
Our performances were clearly on a steady decline since 07/08. Losing Ronaldo, Tevez and everyone else was ageing with the midfield getting worse each year.

Minimalist

Our performances were clearly on a steady decline since 07/08. Losing Ronaldo, Tevez and everyone else was ageing with the midfield getting worse each year.
Very much so. I'm surprised when others don't feel the same. Ferguson really let things stagnate despite picking up some more PL trophies. His quest to challenge Barcelona from 2009 onwards looks farcical in hindsight.

The football itself (the entertainment factor if you will) was declining since 2007 (regardless of success in the following couple years). Never thought it was get this dire mind.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Might have to be top 3 if the coefficient drips below Italy's....

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Might have to be top 3 if the coefficient drips below Italy's....
That's true. Will be interesting to see what happens if United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs have to fight for 3 places.

Is there a chance that it might be reduced for next season?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
That question is not an easy one to answer.

I'm still leaning towards the possibility of Giggs with an experienced support staff, purely because he already has the rapport amongst many of the people already at the club, rather then someone new coming in and having to build new relations with them.
Poccetino even being mentioned just goes to show how quickly people can get behind someone if they show enough promise even if they have no track record of success.

Where's the logic?

You do realise you've just completely contradicted yourself in those 2 posts one after the other, so you'd rather take giggs just because he knows a few people at united even though he has no Managerial experience whatsoever and has sat through 2 of the worst managerial appointments looking completely clueless as the managers

Then you say it's strange to be linked with Pochettino because he has no track record of success....despite the fact he's turning them into title contenders and its so obvious he has taking them up a few levels.

Thank god your not running the club as we would truly become mediocre then.

Parry Gallister

Very much so. I'm surprised when others don't feel the same. Ferguson really let things stagnate despite picking up some more PL trophies. His quest to challenge Barcelona from 2009 onwards looks farcical in hindsight.

The football itself (the entertainment factor if you will) was declining since 2007 (regardless of success in the following couple years). Never thought it was get this dire mind.

Aye, surprised people have forgotten the endless (and rightful) whinging on here about the 'zombie passing', the quality of the squad and slow, predictable football between 2009-2013 or so.

Which we're still doing, we're just winning feck all now.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
What's the latest on this? Or are we still fresh from Bedy's quotes? No reply by LVG or anyone worth noting?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hard luck, José - respected football expert Richard Keys thinks that Steve Bruce is more qualified than you:

Keys said:
"Why isn't Bruce in the running to manage Manchester United? I really can't think of a better qualified candidate."

RooneyLegend

Erm actually he won 1 league in 4 at AC Milan back in 2010. That team had the likes of Nesta, Thiago Silva, Seedorf, Pirlo, Gattuso, Beckham, Inzaghi and Ibra in it. He then went to Juventus were Conte had resurrected the side and won 3 titles in a row and Allegri went on winning the 4th title and nearly got sacked in the start of the season after gaining like 5 points in 6 matches at the beginning of the season.

Conte was never great in Europe (prior to last season you could say the same about Allegri who got knocked out by mighty Tottenham). Hence why I wouldn't want him at OT. However lets not think for a moment that Juventus nearly won the treble thanks to Acciugina (Anchovy) Allegri. This is Conte's squad
Most of those Milan players were well past their sell by date by the time he was in charge. Ibra had to carry that side along with t.silva and he duly lost both of them after a couple of seasons when they were cost cutting. Pirlo left after they won the title and sparked the Juve resurgence while Allegri had to make do with Montelivo and Nocerino. The squad he had for the majority of his Milan time was embarrassing for a team of that stature and i doubt you'd find a milan fan who'd disagree with that.

No one really cares who's squad it is, who's getting more out of them is the question. They managed to reach the final last season while never looking close to that when Conte was around, The team has also changed by now but still manage very good results in Europe while looking like they're going to win another Serie A without Pirlo and Vidal who were probably the most influential players from the Conte reign.

Perrick Dubois

I echo @DrunkenBeaver's sentiment, you can't seriously believe this. It is a complete reinvention of the past in order to make Sir Alex Ferguson look like some sort of trans-dimensional, omnipotent, squad management demigod. Not even in your wettest wildest fantasies is it true. I can certainly believe the squad needed a tune up post 2013 with some new signings and a re-alignment of the senior component of the squad, but Mr. Fantastic would be impressed with how far you're trying to stretch the truth attempting to argue that the squad was on the decline starting as far back as Summer 2008. That is putting it politely.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Most of those Milan players were well past their sell by date by the time he was in charge. Ibra had to carry that side along with t.silva and he duly lost both of them after a couple of seasons when they were cost cutting. Pirlo left after they won the title and sparked the Juve resurgence while Allegri had to make do with Montelivo and Nocerino. The squad he had for the majority of his Milan time was embarrassing for a team of that stature and i doubt you'd find a milan fan who'd disagree with that.

No one really cares who's squad it is, who's getting more out of them is the question. They managed to reach the final last season while never looking close to that when Conte was around, The team has also changed by now but still manage very good results in Europe while looking like they're going to win another Serie A without Pirlo and Vidal who were probably the most influential players from the Conte reign.
They were still quality players in a declining league. I am not saying that Allegri is shit. He's a solid manager whose good in keeping the ball rolling in a decent league. However no one in Italy rates him at par with the likes of Maureen and Ancelotti.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Is old whiskey nose still trying to stop Mourinho coming and get Giggs in? Woody should threaten to rip down his stand. The old fecker.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The meltdown in this place will be historical if the board decide not to bring in Mourinho and go with LVG or Giggs. And yes I will be part of it.
This place has seen meltdowns but nothing has even been close to the levels that would reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.