BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckooo1978

Mourinho has always been like this. I remember laughing at his claim and posting in this forum when he returned and said that he was now "the happy one". Actually it took less than i thought for him to go back to his conflictive self.

This video is from his first stint as head manager at Benfica. Has no problem going up against someone who was one of the best players at Benfica and arguably the most popular one. Mourinho had no credit, nothing to brag about and was a fairly unpopular appointment among the vast majority of Benfica fans. Even so he was genuine and it's a classic Mourinho type of rant.

imagine that tosser doing something like that in a press conference for us, criticising our players......

with all these leaks and 'accidental' disclosures from his chums I'm starting to get really pissed off with the prat

if he is in the frame he needs to shut up and be respectful of Van Gaal until we make a decision

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm a tad worried about Juventus if Conte goes to Chelsea.
I really like Conte, he just has a bit of an aura about him, to me it seems it has to be be Mourhino or Giggs for us and nothing else, surely we'd be well advised to talk to managers like Conte or Simeone before we make a decision.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Most people seem to be interpreting Jose's latest quotes to mean that he is coming to United in the summer.

Isn't a more likely interpretation (and closer to what he actually said) that, rather than take the only offer currently on the table (us) he would rather wait till the summer and see what is available then - and get the right job?

I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal are also in the running come summer.

LeftyBlaster

Most people seem to be interpreting Jose's latest quotes to mean that he is coming to United in the summer.

Isn't a more likely interpretation (and closer to what he actually said) that, rather than take the only offer currently on the table (us) he would rather wait till the summer and see what is available then - and get the right job?

This is my interpretation too.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

I agree with you. It looks like Giggs will get the job

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
It's been said earlier, that Mourinho isn't very popular at Arsenal, and most likely the same the other way around.
So i doubt they are in it.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'd be very surprised if Arsenal were an option - even assuming Wenger did step-down (which I don't think he will regardless of what happens) then there is so much bad blood between Wenger (and thus, by extension, Arsenal) and Jose that I can't see either side entertaining the thought. I realise Jose wants to stay in England (London) but moving from Chelsea across the city to Arsenal seems a big move to make. It's certainly more of an emotional move than coming to us, since our rivalry with Chelsea has only ever been about trophies - with Wenger it has been personal.

I'm one of those who can completely believe that United won't go for him - for a variety of potentially stupid reasons. But there are too many conflicting rumours to make much sense as a whole - some hacks were saying that Woodward didn't want to sack LVG because it would reflect poorly on him, or that he wanted to stick to the Giggs succession plan, but then we have Red Issue and related hacks trying to paint a civil war within the club where Sir Alex, Sir Bobby and Gill didn't want Jose either - so if both rumours were true, then who in the club is pushing for Jose? The Glazers? Just about the only thing everyone agrees on is that they know feck all about football and focus on the business side.

If there's any truth in Mourinho being in talks with us then someone must be pushing for it from United - and if it's not Woodward, Sir Alex, Sir Bobby, Gill or the Glazers then who?

Fully Fledged

There are people who dont like Mourinho , I think at this point, it doesnt matter.

He'll either have to back him blindly like he's done with the other manager's before, but that would be hypocritical considering all the criticism he's levelled against him.

Or he can spend Mourinho's tenure here having digs at him. Considering how great a fan he proclaimed himself just recently, and having in the past sung how fans stand by their managers, that would be hypocritical too.

Either way, I cant wait for Jose. Great manager, flawed , but so are we.
Nah. I can't stand Jose but if at the end of the day his coming to Old Trafford works out for the greater goof of Man Utd then I will except that. It's not hypercritical, it's more that my love of Man Utd outweighs my dislike of Jose. Simple.

Shark

@NotShark
It's been said earlier, that Mourinho isn't very popular at Arsenal, and most likely the same the other way around.
So i doubt they are in it.
Even if they were in it, I can't see the Arsenal job being more attractive to him as a challenge or financially. Maybe I'm being biased. Regardless it just seems ridiculous to me that if we are interested in bringing him here this summer, he'd be anywhere but here unless he doesn't want to return to England. (which seems unlikely going by what he's saying.)

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There are people who dont like Mourinho , I think at this point, it doesnt matter.

He'll either have to back him blindly like he's done with the other manager's before, but that would be hypocritical considering all the criticism he's levelled against him.

Or he can spend Mourinho's tenure here having digs at him. Considering how great a fan he proclaimed himself just recently, and having in the past sung how fans stand by their managers, that would be hypocritical too.

Either way, I cant wait for Jose. Great manager, flawed , but so are we.
Wenger is in contract talks mate, he aint going anywhere

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

It could mean that, but I'd assume any manager would want to start as early as possible, get the groundwork in motion and get the full pre-season. One of the pitfalls of Moyes and then LvG is that they didn't start early enough. Moyes started at the start of July and only had a week or so before pre-season started, where it seemed like June was totally wasted with nobody in charge when there was significant work to be done. LvG started after the World Cup ended, which he was at right until the 3rd place play off, and the majority of our transfer dealings happening very late in the window.

I feel certain Mourinho knows where he will be come June, and I'd bet he's always assessing the squad of the club he is joining, and making preliminary summer plans.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

My interpretation of what he said he he has no offers to choose from right now! I have the feeling Woodward will either stick with LVG or appoint Giggs.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
You guys are such pessimists, this is a jurno's wet dream, free licence to make up differing versions of dogs**t Re:the United job each day for the rest of the season.

RedIke

My two cents.

Its done. He's coming and he knows it.

For some reason though, I think he thinks he is being respectful to VanGaal by waiting till summer. And Woodward is trying to be respectful. Basically, since this seasons gone to shit anyway, I'm assuming the board will just wait until summer figuring nothing can be done to salvage this season.

Bojan11

He is not going to Arsenal for the last time.

Hammerfell

The negativity in here is fantastic. Arsenal wouldn't touch Mourinho with a barge pole.

Dante

Average bang
He's probably contractually obliged not to join anyone, or say anything about joining anyone, for the rest of this season. I think the reports about us having a "gentleman's agreement" are perfectly plausible. We'll announce something the day after the season ends.

The coy comments about joining someone in the Summer can only mean he's coming to United. No other top team will be negotiating for a marquee manager at this point in the season. They all have too much to play for.

entropy

He's probably contractually obliged not to join anyone, or say anything about joining anyone, for the rest of this season. I think the reports about us having a "gentleman's agreement" are perfectly plausible. We'll announce something the day after the season ends.

The coy comments about joining someone in the Summer can only mean he's coming to United. No other top team will be negotiating for a marquee manager at this point in the season. They all have too much to play for.
As if that has ever stopped him from saying what he wants. He can get any of his media cronies to plant his stories for him.

VII

Van Gaal is his mentor and close friend, even if he's got the job as long as van Gaal is still the manager he won't be announcing it .

reelworld

He's coming here.
No denial from the club at all. Mourinho didn't even reject the idea completely in the latest interview. All he is saying is that he rather work at the start of the season rather than in the middle.
He is actually addressing why he's not taking over United immediately.
It's the worst kept secret right now.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It could mean that, but I'd assume any manager would want to start as early as possible, get the groundwork in motion and get the full pre-season. One of the pitfalls of Moyes and then LvG is that they didn't start early enough. Moyes started at the start of July and only had a week or so before pre-season started, where it seemed like June was totally wasted with nobody in charge when there was significant work to be done. LvG started after the World Cup ended, which he was at right until the 3rd place play off, and the majority of our transfer dealings happening very late in the window.

I feel certain Mourinho knows where he will be come June, and I'd bet he's always assessing the squad of the club he is joining, and making preliminary summer plans.
tbf mourinho probably knows more about our squad then the whole of our coaching staff combined.

When you manage in EPL I'd assume they have a full dossier of every team they face let alone Manchester united

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Nah. I can't stand Jose but if at the end of the day his coming to Old Trafford works out for the greater goof of Man Utd then I will except that. It's not hypercritical, it's more that my love of Man Utd outweighs my dislike of Jose. Simple.
Not everyone seems to be able to make that connection.

For some, the Jose hate is deeply personal, beyond reason, and turning to support him now means they lose face on here.

I know he's flawed, but the alternatives considering how badly we've been doing post SAF for me are too risky. We've gone the risky route and failed spectacularly. We are running out of dice throws.

hobbers

No word either way from the club. No mention of Manchester United from Mourinho.

Pretty obvious. At the very least he'll have told Woody he would want the job were it offered in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.