BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Click bait article.

"M.E.N. Sport understands United touched base with Mendes to ascertain whether Mourinho is seriously considering a return to management at Internazionale."
:(

Godfather

If this is true then Woodward has to do what HE thinks is right. If he can't do that he is wrong at the club and has the wrong job. He shouldn't even care about what "egos at the club" have to say.
Doubt there is much to it though.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's clearly coming from the club. I don't buy the egos thing either, doesn't fit in with lots of reports and David Gill said, that Woodward and the Glazers makes the decisions.

Woodzy

At the risk of sounding tedious, it's surely 'Team Giggs' that would be these so called Egos? Whoever they may be.

Jazz

If this is true then Woodward has to do what HE thinks is right. If he can't do that he is wrong at the club and has the wrong job. He shouldn't even care about what "egos at the club" have to say.
Just said that in the other thread. Never mind 'egos' just get on with it Woody. His job is to make the best decision in the interests of the club - not feck around trying to make peace in the bloody boardroom or whatever it is. Irritating as feck this nonsense.:rolleyes:

Seems Woodward needs a call from the head of Adidas or some other sponsor threatening to withdraw their sponsorship if he doesn't get a fecking move on:mad:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thouroughly agree, but it's the only reason I can think of that he's still here. Maybe it's clutching at straws...who can tell what's going on at this circus.
It'd probably be better from an optics point of view if we'd made a smoother transition in the summer?

"We'd like to thank Louis for his excellent work here but with only a year left before his retirement and an outstanding manager available in Jose Mourinho, we've made the decision to allow him to leave a year early. Here's your new manager and a load of shiny new signings, aren't we doing well?". As opposed to "Moyes was a bad appointment and it turns out Van Gaal was too, the season has gone to shit, we're in a desperate state, here's a new manager we're hoping will save us."

Jazz

At the risk of sounding tedious, it's surely 'Team Giggs' that would be these so called Egos? Whoever they may be.
That's what I think .... Woodward and Glazers make the decisions - however, maybe some 'egos' have a lot of influence with the fans and media and could make things uncomfortable? Even so, if they really want Mourinho, they have to get him and deal with whatever comes later from the press or whatever. It's just not worth fecking about when we're in this deep a crisis.

Loon

:lol:
I'd bet Sir Bobby is one raising objections. He might not have power, but I'd imagine he gets to speak and is listened to.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd bet Sir Bobby is one raising objections. He might not have power, but I'd imagine he gets to speak and is listened to.
Maybe they named a stand after him so they could get his approval for Mourinho.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wonder why Sir Bobby can't just sit down with Mourinho and tell him about the United way and how a representative of the club should carry himself.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't believe for one second that SAF or SBC could stop Ed from appointing Mourinho if Ed wanted to.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Easier said than done, to be fair. If the "egos" they're referring to are the likes of Fergie and Charlton, then it's incredibly risky for Woodward to go against them considering the clout they both have at the club.

Loon

I wonder why Sir Bobby can't just sit down with Mourinho and tell him about the United way and how a representative of the club should carry himself.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sir Bobby hasn't met him and has taken a dislike to him. By all accounts, Sir Bobby is not the most warm and sociable of individuals. Even his brother says this.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't believe for one second that SAF or SBC could stop Ed from appointing Mourinho if Ed wanted to.
Oh, I'm sure they wouldn't be able to actually stop him from doing that, but they've both got big voices within the club and are massively respected. To go against their opinions would be a big move for Woodward, especially if results in them turning against him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm sure even Sir Bobby watching this shite would have to admit that changes need to happen whether he likes Mou's managerial style or not.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm sure even Sir Bobby watching this shite would have to admit that changes need to happen whether he likes Mou's managerial style or not.
I'm sure he accepts that change is needed, but if he really isn't keen on Mourinho then it's possible that he wants Giggs in charge...which is what's blocking this. It kind of makes sense, actually. There's no fathomable reason as to why LVG remains employed...unless it's because the board can't decide on a successor.

Inigo Montoya

I wouldn't be surprised if Sir Bobby hasn't met him and has taken a dislike to him. By all accounts, Sir Bobby is not the most warm and sociable of individuals. Even his brother says this.
There are plenty of reasons behind that, just as there are plenty of the older individuals who will tell you different

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Wasn't his objection to Mourinho based on eye-gouging incident? It was an ugly episode but nobody is perfect and if Charlton makes it clear that this sort of thing won't be tolerated by United fans or those within the club I'm sure Mourinho will admit it was wrong of him to do that and will respect the club. At this point it is becoming negligent to allow Van Gaal to continue as manager.

Inigo Montoya

I'm sure he accepts that change is needed, but if he really isn't keen on Mourinho then it's possible that he wants Giggs in charge...which is what's blocking this. It kind of makes sense, actually. There's no fathomable reason as to why LVG remains employed...unless it's because the board can't decide on a successor.
Agreed. I also sadly believe that if this was going to happen, it would have by now.After all, you do have a manager just waiting for an appointment, and we have an agreement for him to take over at the end of the season while we sink ever further into mediocrity??? I'm not buying it. Giggs seems to be the one who has an agreement if you ask me...why else is he staying?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Agreed. I also sadly believe that if this was going to happen, it would have by now.After all, you do have a manager just waiting for an appointment, and we have an agreement for him to take over at the end of the season while we sink ever further into mediocrity??? I'm not buying it. Giggs seems to be the one who has an agreement if you ask me...why else is he staying?
It's definitely strange. I think Mourinho wants to come, but he's going to see our conduct as unprofessional and unwelcoming if we are delaying this. The last thing any manager wants is to come into a club where some massively influential figures don't actually want him there at all, and are banking on another individual, who may still be part of the coaching staff, on eventually becoming manager.

Inigo Montoya

I am an older individual.
But your own admission, you said, 'by all accounts', so you don't know the man. I've met many who have and have had reports of him being very warm and friendly but others who say he has no time whatsoever. The same can be said of many ex players.George Best once gave a pal of mine frightful abuse :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Woodward largely escaped blame for the Moyes debacle but Van Gaal was his appointment. I'm very sure that any Van Gaal departure will be accompanied by a lot of pro-Woodward spin, in keeping with his general M.O.

In that context any reports of a group of nameless, faceless egos hindering our beloved hero should probably be treated with a little bit of scepticism. Especially when we've already been informed that Woodward and the Glazers essentially run the club between themselves.

The suspicion that Woodward is rather indecisive and inept still looms large over our club imo.

Loon

But your own admission, you said, 'by all accounts', so you don't know the man. I've met many who have and have had reports of him being very warm and friendly but others who say he has no time whatsoever. The same can be said of many ex players.George Best once gave a pal of mine frightful abuse :lol:
:lol: Understood! I actually met George and he was nice (pissed). No, the account is from Ron Atkinson and Jack Charlton.

Inigo Montoya

It's definitely strange. I think Mourinho wants to come, but he's going to see our conduct as unprofessional and unwelcoming if we are delaying this. The last thing any manager wants is to come into a club where some massively influential figures don't actually want him there at all, and are banking on another individual, who may still be part of the coaching staff, on eventually becoming manager.
I think his ego is big enough to handle anything like that. Something tells me that he has few friends in football clubs he's coached.If he could handle the politics at RM then...

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Mourinho ain't coming. We've pissed around with this for far too long that I wouldn't be surprised if he has the hump.

It's absolutely ridiculous it's gotten this far. We'll end up with Giggs and Scholes and then things will go from bad to worse. The threads on here will be entertaining as hell though

Inigo Montoya

:lol: Understood! I actually met George and he was nice (pissed). No, the account is from Ron Atkinson and Jack Charlton.
Big Ron was a dick of the highest order so no surprise there. As for Jack, they were like chalk and cheese but there's a huge amount of respect between the two and genuine affection.They made up after their mum died I believe

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think his ego is big enough to handle anything like that. Something tells me that he has few friends in football clubs he's coached.If he could handle the politics at RM then...
Probably, but I'd imagine that after the Chelsea fiasco he really cannot be arsed with internal conflict and extreme disagreements/division. One of the perks of Manchester United under Fergie was that he was always left to do his own thing, and was universally recognised as the boss. It won't be healthy for Mourinho if he's having to constantly look over his shoulder because major figures want Giggs in charge.

Loon

Big Ron was a dick of the highest order so no surprise there. As for Jack, they were like chalk and cheese but there's a huge amount of respect between the two and genuine affection.They made up after their mum died I believe
I liked Big Ron. Certainly as United manager. His team was great to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.