Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Maybe the Queen should exercise her Royal Prerogative and prevent the UK from leaving the EU. What's the point of her otherwise?
It'd be quite fun to see since it'd confuse all of the rabid British nationalist/monarchist types, and prompt them to both want rid of the monarch whilst supporting its values.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
That's fair enough, I don't doubt that you believe this but I'm specifically referring to you saying that most experts aren't predicting anything. Do you have a source for most experts?
Check out the very last paragraph of this article mate. Over 600 gave their opinion and based on that alone they were overwhelmingly in favour of staying but over 3000 were asked for an opinion so only 17% actually responded. Would you not agree then that it's fair to say that most experts indeed haven't actually predicted anything?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/28/economists-reject-brexit-boost-cameron

In total, 639 respondents completed an online survey, sent to non-student members of the Royal Economic Society and the Society of Business Economists, between 19 and 27 May 2016: a response rate of 17%. Data is unweighted and reported figures should only be taken as representative of the views of those who responded

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I listen to Radio 4 a lot. The economic experts they use that I have heard have all been non committal on the severity of the fallout.
A lot of experts and senior figures are going to suddenly sound very non-commital or even try and put a positive spin on it, because they don't want to contribute to an already very precarious situation going completely south.

Look, a huge number of people in the country had their financial safety blankets stripped away by the global economic crisis. That's people who have lost savings, lost equity on homes and possibly had to remorgage and generally had their situation worsened. There have been gains for some people over the last few years, but not nearly enough to compensate for what was lost. If there's now another really bad recession, a lot of people who weathered the storm last time are going to be in a far worse position to do so again, and people who lost everything last time are just going to be left completely hopeless. THAT is why pushing the UK into an almost certainly negative economic situation was so idiotic, the personal costs for millions of people could be absolutely horrific.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Newbie @Wengerscoat has just asked me to post this

Got to say from my own personal perspective there not a whole lot to disagree with. As an ethnic minority myself I've been treated more like a Brit in Europe and Canada as well and his point about Britain heading down the same path as France is an interesting one.
That's absolutely awful but have I missed a post of Barca's or something? I don't see anything in what he's said as equating to be an apologist for these racist attacks:confused:

Classical Mechanic

A lot of experts and senior figures are going to suddenly sound very non-commital or even try and put a positive spin on it, because they don't want to contribute to an already very precarious situation going completely south.

Look, a huge number of people in the country had their financial safety blankets stripped away by the global economic crisis. That's people who have lost savings, lost equity on homes and possibly had to remorgage and generally had their situation worsened. There have been gains for some people over the last few years, but not nearly enough to compensate for what was lost. If there's now another really bad recession, a lot of people who weathered the storm last time are going to be in a far worse position to do so again, and people who lost everything last time are just going to be left completely hopeless. THAT is why pushing the UK into an almost certainly negative economic situation was so idiotic, the personal costs for millions of people could be absolutely horrific.
I agree that voting Leave was stupid which is why I voted remain! I was tempted to Leave at the start but realised that it just isn't worth it. I foresaw the economic mess but not the social mess I have to admit. I am not trying to play down any racist incidents I find them very depressing and want the police and courts to take responsibility for sorting it out. I believe that it will be brought under control and that this is the worst of it.

The current official forecast for the UK is a mild recession by the start of next year. Krugman even predicts no recession.

Do you really think that millions will lose their jobs?

The pound and stocks markets are rallying today.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...b04125c92d0584#block-577271f8e4b04125c92d0584

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Over 600 gave their opinion and based on that alone they were overwhelmingly in favour of staying but over 3000 were asked for an opinion so only 17% actually responded. Would you not agree then that it's fair to say that most experts indeed haven't actually predicted anything?
Yes, but unless those 600+ experts are somehow flawed as a (pretty substantial) sample group, that point seems moot enough.

It's true that most experts didn't bother to complete the survey, and thus technically true that most experts didn't predict any impact, either way – but again, it's moot enough when almost 90% of those who did complete the survey were negative in their predictions.

For the latter not to be (hugely) significant, the sample group must – again – be flawed somehow, consisting of biased (Remain friendly, say) people, but there's no indication of that.

Ventura

I don't see why brexit-positive experts would systematically reject to comment. On the contrary, they would be fighting to make their opinion known, climbing over each other like a barrel full of monkeys.

That's my guess at least.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

I am disgusted by Barca's posts. I am an ethnic minority myself, a British citizen just like yourself and everyone else; I don't know where I stand. I have been, as a kid growing up, racially abused, spat at, discriminated against and told to 'go back home' on countless occasions. I stopped bothering to report these instances, as nothing was ever done. My family and our local community have been threatened more times that I have lost count, 2 of them even attacked (both were Doctors serving the community for decades), I have seen the local EDL grow and then replaced with Britain First. I have never felt accepted, never had the feeling that I would be seen as what I am. An educated British citizen. I am an educated person, holding a Law and a Medicine degree, my background is Muslim but I am an Atheist (when I foolishly thought maybe this would gain me acceptance) now, has that gained me acceptance? No it has not. People cannot see past my skin colour. I am heart-broken over the Leave vote. I divide my time between UK and Europe now, and I am sorry after the Vote and the subsequent hatred and vile gloating I have decided to quit UK for good, my wife is Canadian and I plan on settling there and have no stomach to face more racism and bigotry. The local chavs have again harassed our local community with heckling and abuse, our Polish friends have had their cars sprayed and their neighbours mouthing off at them constantly now since the vote. I have urged my family to quit UK as well. I love Britain, I sound British and I will always love Britain but Britain has not accepted me, and it never will accept me. Look at the Daily Mail and the Sun, every single day, more racist taunts, more racial BS, more lies and propaganda, which is then fed to millions who eat it all up. And you know why this is happening? Because apologists like Barca give the racist fecks more empowerment. Is this what Britain has become? UKIP will form the government, even if in a coalition, mark my words. Britain is headed down France's way ala Le Pen. I am treated more British in Europe and Canada then I ever have in UK. I am sorry I cannot tolerate my children growing up in such a divided society where race and not who you are matters. Leavers can pretend all they want really but the Leave vote had massively been affected by immigration.

Many will say 'we're happy to see you go', but I am sorry with the hatred in the country more will leave. 4 of my friends already have, for good. The Leavers can get what they want, make Britain 'great again', this time without the blood and sweat of immigrants.
Got to say from my own personal perspective there not a whole lot to disagree with. As an ethnic minority myself I've been treated more like a Brit in Europe and Canada as well and his point about Britain heading down the same path as France is an interesting one.
Really sorry to hear that @Wengerscoat. All I can say is, the silent majority are not like this.

If there is any good news, the good news is that the FPTP system keeps the BNP like parties and the UKIP like parties out of government. And without European elections, they will slowly disappear. I don't think UKIP will ever form a government here, thank god.

You are absolutely right , the leavers had a huge boost from the racist bigots. Whether thats a 10% boost from the vocal racists plus a 20% boost from the silent racists... I dont know.

Even Le Pen's National Front, they've taken just 2 seats in the French National Assembly, and the same in the senate. I dont know if that will remain the case, but hopefully they won't get to be in government.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Check out the very last paragraph of this article mate. Over 600 gave their opinion and based on that alone they were overwhelmingly in favour of staying but over 3000 were asked for an opinion so only 17% actually responded. Would you not agree then that it's fair to say that most experts indeed haven't actually predicted anything?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/28/economists-reject-brexit-boost-cameron
The question isn't for me, but I would not agree with that, no, as it seems a bit pedantic. If you say "most experts" there's the obvious assumption you mean "most experts that gave an opinion on the matter".

They probably sent an e-mail or phone survey to loads of them, and as usual in these things many people don't bother to look at it as they might be busy with something else, or just not care enough at a given moment. I'm sent polls and opinion surveys on my work e-mail all the time and only respond to a fraction of these. If you knew they outright refused to give an opinion, then perhaps I'd be more inclined to agree with the bold assessment, but without knowing the methodologies you don't know if they didn't want to predict something or if the questions just went under the radar.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Please do, it would be legitimately good to see. At this point in time there seems to be no evidence for it bar a load of people saying 'trust me guys, it'll all be fine'. The opinion piece you posted is as valid as me saying 'it's all gone to shit'. Neither are backed up with anything.
Maybe it is. It was in response to someone asking for some sort of positivity. I myself have no idea what's going to happen but then nobody does do they because this is new territory. I will however be countering the large scale leaning towards doom and gloom on this remain favouring forum as I think it will bring some balance whilst also calling out those who feel superior and more important to this society than others.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

I can understand him. I have been told to go back home before. Not since he referendum though.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I can understand him. I have been told to go back home before. Not since he referendum though.
How are things in the West Midlands? Lived there longer than anywhere else and my memories of it are of a rather fractured place that could really struggle to maintain unity in times like this.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Maybe it is. It was in response to someone asking for some sort of positivity. I myself have no idea what's going to happen but then nobody does do they because this is new territory. I will however be countering the large scale leaning towards doom and gloom on this remain favouring forum as I think it will bring some balance whilst also calling out those who feel superior and more important to this society than others.
You can't say that nobody does just because you or I don't. The reality is that the majority of experts do actually have a very good indication of what's going to happen - it's their job. Their entire extensive education and their subsequent career experience revolves around knowing what happens to the economy when shit like this goes down. An economist who doesn't have a fair idea of what's about to happen is an absolutely terrible economist.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca

I'm sorry to hear of the abuse that you have experienced but at no stage have I made any apologies for racists and would like a link to where I have done @Wengerscoat or anyone else who would like to oblige. And I seriously object to the suggestion that I have actually. In summary that accusation is bollocks. My posts have been entirely in support of the right of people to vote as they see fit in a democratic referendum and nothing less and have objected to the wholesale accusation of the remain campaign that leavers are simply a bunch of racists. That makes me a racist apologist does it?

But yes this is what you get for defending the result of this referendum. A bigoted and blinkered response and no less so because the poster has been the victim of racial abuse. The intolerance of it is astounding.

Let me state categorically (not that I should need to) that I think race crime needs dealing with and it's good to see that the authorities have been asked to come down particularly hard on any incidents that are possibly linked to brexit.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Really sorry to hear that @Wengerscoat. All I can say is, the silent majority are not like this.

If there is any good news, the good news is that the FPTP system keeps the BNP like parties and the UKIP like parties out of government. And without European elections, they will slowly disappear. I don't think UKIP will ever form a government here, thank god.

You are absolutely right , the leavers had a huge boost from the racist bigots. Whether thats a 10% boost from the vocal racists plus a 20% boost from the silent racists... I dont know.

Even Le Pen's National Front, they've taken just 2 seats in the French National Assembly, and the same in the senate. I dont know if that will remain the case, but hopefully they won't get to be in government.
Where are you getting these figures from? Are you suggesting that one third of the leave vote were racists?

Adisa

How are things in the West Midlands? Lived there longer than anywhere else and my memories of it are of a rather fractured place that could really struggle to maintain unity in times like this.
There have been many reports of abuse towards British Asians. I have seen some leaflets urging tolerance though. But I live in the city centre and things are going on as normal. Everyone minding their own business.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
The question isn't for me, but I would not agree with that, no, as it seems a bit pedantic. If you say "most experts" there's the obvious assumption you mean "most experts that gave an opinion on the matter".

They probably sent an e-mail or phone survey to loads of them, and as usual in these things many people don't bother to look at it as they might be busy with something else, or just not care enough at a given moment. I'm sent polls and opinion surveys on my work e-mail all the time and only respond to a fraction of these. If you knew they outright refused to give an opinion, then perhaps I'd be more inclined to agree with the bold assessment, but without knowing the methodologies you don't know if they didn't want to predict something or if the questions just went under the radar.
True enough but the point is that only about 1 in 6 responded on what is a very important subject matter. This seems to be the most extensive poll of "experts" that was conducted (unless someone can point me in the direction of a larger poll) and the point being made by the poster was that many more experts haven't made their views public. Now you could be right that they received this survey by e-mail and that some didn't open it/couldn't be arsed to respond, etc. I can relate to that myself - the amount of questionnaires/surveys I receive from MCFC relating to all manner of topics gets a bit tedious at times and while some are worth responding to I can't always be bothered answering as sometimes they're so unimportant that I find myself asking why they even took the time to knock it up and send it out. This, however, is an utterly vital topic and one that is right up the street of these experts so I doubt all of the 83% that didn't respond just couldn't be bothered and I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the reason why a fair chunk didn't respond is because they took a pretty much neutral stance...IMHO of course.

Classical Mechanic

You can't say that nobody does just because you or I don't. The reality is that the majority of experts do actually have a very good indication of what's going to happen - it's their job. Their entire extensive education and their subsequent career experience revolves around knowing what happens to the economy when shit like this goes down. An economist who doesn't have a fair idea of what's about to happen is an absolutely terrible economist.
Didn't a load of experts recommend that we join the Euro as well? Genuine question. I can't remember. I know Tony Blair was well up for it.

This cracked me up though when I was looking for the 2nd referendum petition.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/126848

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm sorry to hear of the abuse that you have experienced but at no stage have I made any apologies for racists and would like a link to where I have done @Wengerscoat or anyone else who would like to oblige. And I seriously object to the suggestion that I have actually. In summary that accusation is bollocks. My posts have been entirely in support of the right of people to vote as they see fit in a democratic referendum and nothing less and have objected to the wholesale accusation of the remain campaign that leavers are simply a bunch of racists. That makes me a racist apologist does it?

But yes this is what you get for defending the result of this referendum. A bigoted and blinkered response and no less so because the poster has been the victim of racial abuse. The intolerance of it is astounding.

Let me state categorically (not that I should need to) that I think race crime needs dealing with and it's good to see that the authorities have been asked to come down particularly hard on any incidents that are possibly linked to brexit.
Wow this post... a simple denial would have sufficed.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Where are you getting these figures from? Are you suggesting that one third of the leave vote were racists?
I thought he made it clear in the post that he was guessing? They aren't dissimilar numbers to what I'd guess.

Boris says the people have spoken. But all the key claims that Leave used to persuade them have been removed from its website. Breathtaking.

Adisa

These people cannot be allowed to get away with this.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
This is the actual poll

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/economists-views-on-brexit-2016-charts.pdf

So 43% predicted in the range of 'some negative impact' to 'substantial positive impact' in the short to medium term and 66% in that range for the long term. So it isn't the absolute sky caving in prediction results some would have you believe.
That is a creative use of statistics!

You could just as easily say that over the next 5 years, 88% predicted a negative impact on the economy, with 72% predicting a negative impact on the economy over a 10-20 year period.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Well so far everything that the remainers said would happen has happened (and to think we're not even out yet, this is just the effects of market confidence so far). They have every right to feel superior to the cretins who voted out, particularly given the subsequent analysis of the vote shows that overwhelmingly it was a vote between the educated and the uneducated, the made-its and the left-behinds.

Which way did you vote btw?

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Wow this post... a simple denial would have sufficed.
That is a simple denial. I also thought it worth remarking on the poster's own bigotry unless of course one cannot be a bigot if one has been a victim of bigotry.

The use of the word "chav" (pretty popular right now) was noted too.

VIDEO: Nigel Farage winds up European Parliament

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

I just want to cry. What an absolute thundercnut that man is. Now he is embarrassing us even more and trolling the people we want and will need help from and to work with. I despise the smug faced cnut. I think I'm going to go and have another nap, this is just so depressing.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Well so far everything that the remainers said would happen has happened (and to think we're not even out yet, this is just the effects of market confidence so far). They have every right to feel superior to the cretins who voted out, particularly given the subsequent analysis of the vote shows that overwhelmingly it was a vote between the educated and the uneducated, the made-its and the left-behinds.

Which way did you vote btw?
The leavers also told us short term things would be difficult.

And then there's your language which tells us all we need to know about you and how you feel about yourself.

Want to know how I voted? Go take a look Mr Educated

Classical Mechanic

Wouldn't that mean insurrection? Or you reckon they'll drag their feet sufficiently for public mood to shift a bit?
I think there will be a renegotiation and new terms offered.

That is a creative use of statistics!

You could just as easily say that over the next 5 years, 88% predicted a negative impact on the economy, with 72% predicting a negative impact on the economy over a 10-20 year period.
:)

Really? You're trying to take something positive from that??
I accept that there will be some negative impact on the economy, I just reject the end of the world predictions that are common on here.

Nearly half don't predict economic meltdown in the medium to short term and more than half don't predict it in the long term.

I can take something positive from that.