Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Nice! Hopefully there will be many more like her.

This feels like the US elections and trying to get superdelegates to change sides and back Bernie.
There will be a few like her but I imagine most either represent constituencies that voted to leave so don't want to jeopardize their position or feel they should adhere to the vote regardless to what a stupid decision it is.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
My bad. I think its 2/3 of Tories.
More than half of Tory MPs were in favour of remaining I believe. And about 95% of Labour MPs, all SNP MPs, Lib Dems. If it was a purely parliamentary decision there'd be no chance of it going through, but unfortunately...

Classical Mechanic

To point out the obvious, the difference is that from the point of view of the aggressors, the triggering event in this case is something desirable, something they actively pushed for themselves.

Given this, I don't think it's unreasonable to interpret such reactions as the result of certain people feeling empowered or entitled by Brexit: That's not a pretty picture. Much uglier, I would argue, than the same people lashing out as a reaction to an upsetting, undesirable event (e.g. a terrorist attack).
I totally disagree. Even hate speech is even a crime in this country, people get arrested for posting things on Facebook. Do you really think that this going to be allowed to continue unchecked? These idiots might be emboldened by the result but they will be put back in their box before long.

This is the eye of the storm, to start forecasting long term economic and social problems based on the chaos of this seismic shock is stupid.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Because it fits their narrative. If they can make out the world is coming to an end then they might be able to get another referendum.
Ok, making out something is happening, is different to hoping something is happening. Which is what you said I believe.

Regardless, I disagree either way. Maybe you are projecting?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I totally disagree. Even hate speech is even a crime in this country, people get arrested for posting things on Facebook. Do you really think that this going to be allowed to continue unchecked? These idiots might be emboldened by the result but they will be put back in their box before long.

This is the eye of the storm, to start forecasting long term economic and social problems based on the chaos of this seismic shock is stupid.
On the contrary, to forecast anything other than long term economic problems at this stage is stupid.

afrocentricity

Doesn't that term describe a period of quiet during turmoil? Not sure you are using it right...

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The amount of racist incidents now being recorded in broad daylight is genuinely depressing.
I've been always a big fan of british culture, values and felt more identified with the UK rather than the EU. Although i respect the will of the people, i was very disappointed with the vote. It doesn't affect me, although for some time i thought about moving to the UK (Wales) after recieving a very good job offer. I rejected because i can't stay away from my family, from our weather, from the surf, basically the south european lifestyle. I know there are always some bad apples (we have them in Portugal as well even with all the multiculturalism and inclusion) but i´m extremely sad to hear some of my friends (high qualified and contributing to UK economy) stories about them getting abuse on daily basis. It's depressing and i hope there is a strong reaction from the british people to counter this. Still love the UK and what it stands for but can't help feeling extremely disappointed.

Classical Mechanic

On the contrary, to forecast anything other than long term economic problems at this stage is stupid.
That isn't correct. If you actually listen to most 'experts' they are not predicting anything because they do not know.

Although this 'expert' isn't even predicting the economic disaster for Britain that all the bitter remainers seem to take joy in doing.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/06/24/brexit-the-morning-after/

Doesn't that term describe a period of quiet during turmoil? Not sure you are using it right...
Yes, you are correct. But you know know what I mean from context I'm sure.

Birmingham Mail: Molotov cocktail thrown at Halal butcher's in Walsall

Wolverine

Some more made up racism for you today, probably by a millennial

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...halal-butchers-11535781#ICID=sharebar_twitter

A Halal butcher’s was targeted by a thug who threw a Molotov cocktail inside the premises.

A bottle containing what West Midlands Police called an “accelerant” was thrown at a worker inside the Kashmir Meat and Poultry shop in Wednesbury Road, Pleck, Walsall , at about 5.25pm on Monday.

It struck the victim, causing bruising, but he was not seriously hurt.

Some fire damage was caused to the shop when it burst into flames.

The culprit was described as white, 6ft tall and wearing a blue jacket.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
That isn't correct. If you actually listen to most 'experts' they are not predicting anything because they do not know.

Although this 'expert' isn't even predicting the economic disaster for Britain that all the bitter remainers seem to take joy in doing.

What do you class as 'most' experts? Do you have a signed statement from more than 150 economists including 12 Nobel laureates that says everything's going to be okay? Because we have one that says it isn't, predicting actually quite a few things. Most of the experts have since day one been on the side of remain.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

I'm not sure that's a good thing though, them not knowing is worrying.

Newbie Wengerscoat gives his 2p

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Newbie @Wengerscoat has just asked me to post this

I am disgusted by Barca's posts. I am an ethnic minority myself, a British citizen just like yourself and everyone else; I don't know where I stand. I have been, as a kid growing up, racially abused, spat at, discriminated against and told to 'go back home' on countless occasions. I stopped bothering to report these instances, as nothing was ever done. My family and our local community have been threatened more times that I have lost count, 2 of them even attacked (both were Doctors serving the community for decades), I have seen the local EDL grow and then replaced with Britain First. I have never felt accepted, never had the feeling that I would be seen as what I am. An educated British citizen. I am an educated person, holding a Law and a Medicine degree, my background is Muslim but I am an Atheist (when I foolishly thought maybe this would gain me acceptance) now, has that gained me acceptance? No it has not. People cannot see past my skin colour. I am heart-broken over the Leave vote. I divide my time between UK and Europe now, and I am sorry after the Vote and the subsequent hatred and vile gloating I have decided to quit UK for good, my wife is Canadian and I plan on settling there and have no stomach to face more racism and bigotry. The local chavs have again harassed our local community with heckling and abuse, our Polish friends have had their cars sprayed and their neighbours mouthing off at them constantly now since the vote. I have urged my family to quit UK as well. I love Britain, I sound British and I will always love Britain but Britain has not accepted me, and it never will accept me. Look at the Daily Mail and the Sun, every single day, more racist taunts, more racial BS, more lies and propaganda, which is then fed to millions who eat it all up. And you know why this is happening? Because apologists like Barca give the racist fecks more empowerment. Is this what Britain has become? UKIP will form the government, even if in a coalition, mark my words. Britain is headed down France's way ala Le Pen. I am treated more British in Europe and Canada then I ever have in UK. I am sorry I cannot tolerate my children growing up in such a divided society where race and not who you are matters. Leavers can pretend all they want really but the Leave vote had massively been affected by immigration.

Many will say 'we're happy to see you go', but I am sorry with the hatred in the country more will leave. 4 of my friends already have, for good. The Leavers can get what they want, make Britain 'great again', this time without the blood and sweat of immigrants.
Got to say from my own personal perspective there not a whole lot to disagree with. As an ethnic minority myself I've been treated more like a Brit in Europe and Canada as well and his point about Britain heading down the same path as France is an interesting one.

Classical Mechanic

What do you class as 'most' experts? Do you have a signed statement from more than 150 economists including 12 Nobel laureates that says everything's going to be okay? Because we have one that says it isn't, predicting actually quite a few things. Most of the experts have since day one been on the side of remain.
Everything isn't going to be 'OK'. Things will change for the worse for a time at least. Anyone that thought Brexit wouldn't cause chaos is quite silly IMO. I don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as reading this thread or hysterical pro remain social media would have you believe, however.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

In that very link you posted he's talking about the fact that things are going to be bad. The only positive spin he's putting on it is to say it's not quite as bad as he'd expected it to be (yet).

I'd also point out that him using the € as a measuring stick against the fall in the £ is misleading, seeing as the € fell itself - the $ is a much better yardstick and we're at a 30 year low.

Jobs in London financial sectors are going to get battered, taxes will increase, government spending will be cut (again), inflation will rise etc etc.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Ok, making out something is happening, is different to hoping something is happening. Which is what you said I believe.
True, but if you are hoping to see more racially motivated attacks in order to prove your point, you are going to leap on the slightest suggestion of anything remotely resembling a racist backlash - which is what I think is happening now.

Just as an aside (I know this is not representative) but I was listening to Radio 4 on my way to work this morning and an asian presenter went to a typical working class area where there had been an influx of migrants over the last 20 years or so. In order to get the views of locals who voted "leave" she spoke to one chap who was quite clearly drunk and poorly educated. Clearly she thought he was going to give her some decent material to act appalled about. He accidentally let slip the "P word" (in reference to people from Pakistan) she then went on for about 2 minutes about how shocked she was. I'm not sure what I'm getting at here, it was just something that riled me - the subtle implication once again that all those who voted for us to leave are neanderthals. There's never any talk of the fact that it's perfectly legitimate to care about Parliamentary sovereignty, that people like Tony Benn would have been making that argument to vote "leave".

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I totally disagree.
With what?

The triggering event in this case is Brexit – an outcome these people wanted and in many cases undoubtedly actively pursued (by voting Leave). That makes the reactions different than those we normally see after large-scale disastrous events, such as terrorist attacks. These people aren't (re)acting from fear, they are acting on a newfound sense of having "won" something.

You disagree with this?

afrocentricity

Got to say from my own personal perspective there not a whole lot to disagree with. As an ethnic minority myself I've been treated more like a Brit in Europe and Canada as well and his point about Britain heading down the same path as France is an interesting one.
It's a good post and I can relate to most of it tbh...

Classical Mechanic

In that very link you posted he's talking about the fact that things are going to be bad. The only positive spin he's putting on it is to say it's not quite as bad as he'd expected it to be (yet).

I'd also point out that him using the € as a measuring stick against the fall in the £ is misleading, seeing as the € fell itself - the $ is a much better yardstick and we're at a 30 year low.

Jobs in London financial sectors are going to get battered, taxes will increase, government spending will be cut (again), inflation will rise etc etc.
And I am going to listen to your economic assessment over Paul Krugman's?

I know things are going to get worse, no one would deny that. Is Britain going to become a fascist state and that our children have no future? Sorry but I don't believe that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

fecking hell that's depressing.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Everything isn't going to be 'OK'. Things will change for the worse for a time at least. Anyone that thought Brexit wouldn't cause chaos is quite silly IMO. I don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as reading this thread or hysterical pro remain social media would have you believe, however.
That's fair enough, I don't doubt that you believe this but I'm specifically referring to you saying that most experts aren't predicting anything. Do you have a source for most experts?

Classical Mechanic

With what?

The triggering event in this case is Brexit – an outcome these people wanted and in many cases undoubtedly actively pursued (by voting Leave). That makes the reactions different than those we normally see after large-scale disastrous events, such as terrorist attacks. These people aren't (re)acting from fear, they are acting on a newfound sense of having "won" something.

You disagree with this?
I agree that is definitely a short term phenomenon but I have faith that the British justice system will ensure that they soon learn that they are wrong in thinking they have 'won' that.

afrocentricity

True, but if you are hoping to see more racially motivated attacks in order to prove your point, you are going to leap on the slightest suggestion of anything remotely resembling a racist backlash - which is what I think is happening now.

Just as an aside (I know this is not representative) but I was listening to Radio 4 on my way to work this morning and an asian presenter went to a typical working class area where there had been an influx of migrants over the last 20 years or so. In order to get the views of locals who voted "leave" she spoke to one chap who was quite clearly drunk and poorly educated. Clearly she thought he was going to give her some decent material to act appalled about. He accidentally let slip the "P word" (in reference to people from Pakistan) she then went on for about 2 minutes about how shocked she was. I'm not sure what I'm getting at here, it was just something that riled me - the subtle implication once again that all those who voted for us to leave are neanderthals. There's never any talk of the fact that it's perfectly legitimate to care about Parliamentary sovereignty, that people like Tony Benn would have been making that argument to vote "leave".
Listen mate, maybe you should be more pissed off at the neanderthals that are making you look bad... Just a thought. Go and have a word with them...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
And I am going to listen to your economic assessment over Paul Krugman's?

I know things are going to get worse, no one would deny that. Is Britain going to become a fascist state and that our children have no future? Sorry but I don't believe that.
Have you even been reading what's been said here?

Me: "there will be long term economic problems"

You: "no there won't, here's an article where an economist actually thought it would be worse but still says things will be bad"

Me: "he agrees that it's going to be bad"

You: "well I'm not going to listen to you over him"

:houllier:

Oh and you knocked that fascism strawman out cold, well done.

PlayerOne

All the reports about racism are heartbreaking, happened to me when I was younger and you have no idea how awful it is until you experience it. A few friends of mine are thinking of leaving England now, and they're white from Europe. Such a shitty situation on so many levels.

I never thought England was like this. It's almost acceptable in some places now

Classical Mechanic

That's fair enough, I don't doubt that you believe this but I'm specifically referring to you saying that most experts aren't predicting anything. Do you have a source for most experts?
I listen to Radio 4 a lot. The economic experts they use that I have heard have all been non committal on the severity of the fallout.

Have you even been reading what's been said here?

Me: "there will be long term economic problems"

You: "no there won't, here's an article where an economist actually thought it would be worse but still says things will be bad"

Me: "he agrees that it's going to be bad"

You: "well I'm not going to listen to you over him"

:houllier:

Oh and you knocked that fascism strawman out cold, well done.
There is short term, medium term and long term. I highly doubt that this will be anywhere near as bad as the banking crisis and that was only medium term.

'long term' to me is 10+ years.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Listen mate, maybe you should be more pissed off at the neanderthals that are making you look bad... Just a thought. Go and have a word with them...
The point is, I have nothing to do with that element and neither does anyone else I know who voted leave. It's a desperate attempt to tarnish the names of leave voters and force another referendum.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I can completely understand why leavers, and those sympathetic to leave would feel annoyed and uncomfortable by the constant, and often unfair accusations of racism. Of course we don't have 17 million racist people in this country, that would be mental. However the idea that a huge number of racists weren't emboldened by a leave vote, or that racism didn't play its part in the campaign and the result is massively dissingenuous, and the only recourse is for leavers themselves to stand up against this, to own the small, but nasty consequences of their vote and to stamp it out as not in their name. Remainers can't do it, can they? They'll only be told they're sore losers throwing their toys out of the pram, again, or that - rather sickeningly - they're exaggerating it out of spite.

Which, as an implication, is frankly an horrendous and selfish abdication of responsibility, and yet another two-fingers in the eye of social cohesion, all in the name of "how dare you make me feel bad"

Last edited:

afrocentricity

The point is, I have nothing to do with that element and neither does anyone else I know who voted leave. It's a desperate attempt to tarnish the names of leave voters and force another referendum.
You voted along with a lot of racists, doesn't make you one but doesn't change the fact does it? You can get wound up when people point that out but it's kind of pointless to direct your anger at the people bringing it up.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Someone articulated it perfectly earlier in the thread - 52% of this country are obviously not all racist, but there are a fair number of racists amongst them who now feel that 52% of the country agree with them.

PlayerOne

I would think some of the racist who voted leave think 52% of this country share the same mindset as them, hence all the public racist incidents.

Tarrou

:(

@Wengerscoat So sorry to hear that. Canada is a fantastic option for you, at least.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Maybe the Queen should exercise her Royal Prerogative and prevent the UK from leaving the EU. What's the point of her otherwise?

Manny

Grammar Police
Some more made up racism for you today, probably by a millennial

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...halal-butchers-11535781#ICID=sharebar_twitter
The ethnic minority's exaggerating again... :rolleyes:

Sad but he's spot on. Sorry you're going through that @Wengerscoat

Already today we've heard people make excuses for these attacks, calling them exaggerated and what not. Theres going to be a lot more racial hate crime following this referendum but as long as petrol bombs are not being thrown through their front door or its not their car being vandalised, plenty will turn a blind eye to it or worse, play the incidents down as seen in this thread.