Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ixion

I'd say 99% chance that the abuse is a lie or has been highly exaggerated. The amount of dramatization so far has been ridiculous
Assuming people who suffer racial abuse must be lying? Slippery slope

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'd say 99% chance that the abuse is a lie or has been highly exaggerated. The amount of dramatization so far has been ridiculous
Thanks. I wondered how long it was going to take for someone to post their expert opinion on it, despite not being there, knowing the person, or having anything to go on.

5 minutes.

Well done.

I'm 99% sure you haven't got a clue.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I'm 99.9% sure that I am disgusted that someone would assume that people are making being attacked/assaulted/racially abused/threatened/discriminated against/whatever up.

I'm sure the Polish father and son that were battered within an inch of their lives were definitely making it up :rolleyes:

Jeez, why would you assume something like that, why would you want to, and to what aim?

Smores

Interesting that. We're already starting to see the seperation between member state politics and EU politics on this. The EU made all the threats they wanted prior to brexit but the situation is that it doesn't quite make economic or political sense for member states to back them on the rhetoric.

I still think there's going to be concessions on all sides to make this work. For the EU project to continue it has to introduce a new option.

rcoobc

Interesting that. We're already starting to see the seperation between member state politics and EU politics on this. The EU made all the threats they wanted prior to brexit but the situation is that it doesn't quite make economic or political sense for member states to back them on the rhetoric.

I still think there's going to be concessions on all sides to make this work. For the EU project to continue it has to introduce a new option.
I agree. I think we're going to see a new EU from this. One with less immigration and less political meddling.

Finding the right balance is key. But turkeys don't vote for Christmas (unless you are Welsh). Forcing them to change will not be easy.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I do think the leavers are right in a way. We have to work together now to get EU-Lite. We can't remain in the EU as it is because 52% of people voted Leave. It's constitutionally wrong.
  • Free movement of workers is fine. Norway and Swiss have it that way anyway, so why can't we? Nothing is done that can't be undone.
  • Restrictions on migration from Turkey for at least 10 years (and any future expansion countries).
  • A right to veto some EU laws, meaning it just wont apply to the UK (we'd never use it, but it gives us sovereignty).
  • Ability to ask migrants to leave if they don't have a job (and haven't lived here for.. 3 years?)
  • We're happy to contribute to the EU budget. Heck, double it.
  • Scotland and Northern Ireland can stay in EU proper.
Do all the sensible leavers accept this?

Seems like this might be possible

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36639770
Sensible leaver here and most of that that seems fair enough to me. Just a couple of points though - aren't Turkey thought to still be decades away from joining the EU therefore making that point irrelevant for the time being? Also, with regards to Scotland I'm sure I read somewhere that Spain would try to veto any attempt for them to join the EU as they're worried about the Catalan and Basque movements pushing for the same.

Aside from that, I think these are very workable suggestions.

rcoobc

Sensible leaver here and most of that that seems fair enough to me. Just a couple of points though - aren't Turkey thought to still be decades away from joining the EU therefore making that point irrelevant for the time being? Also, with regards to Scotland I'm sure I read somewhere that Spain would try to veto any attempt for them to join the EU as they're worried about the Catalan and Basque movements pushing for the same.

Aside from that, I think these are very workable suggestions.
Yeah I think Turkey are years away from joining, but it's an extra carrot that the EU can give away cheaply, and will hopefully look good to the leavers (especially when compared with the "80 million Muslims about to invade" rhetoric.

I'm not sure it would even involve Scotland and Northern Ireland actually joining the EU proper, just have different rules for different sections of the country. I.e. The whole of the UK is in the EU, but with Scotland and Northern Ireland you have the same work and entry requirements that you do now, whilst in England and Wales you have further work requirements (and in return, English and Welsh citizens have further requirements put on them).

God knows how any of that would work, and the obvious flaw is that a Scottish passport would be different from an English passport for the first time.

I don't know. This is the type of path I'd look to go down though

Manny

Grammar Police
Yep, ethnic minorities are such bullshitters, especially when it comes to racism... :rolleyes:

They're just being melodramatic and they're easily offended. Everyone should just ignore them, right?

Brexit campaign's biggest donor has lost £400m since the referendum but says: 'I've got no regrets'

rcoobc

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I'm 99.9% sure that I am disgusted that someone would assume that people are making being attacked/assaulted/racially abused/threatened/discriminated against/whatever up.

I'm sure the Polish father and son that were battered within an inch of their lives were definitely making it up :rolleyes:

Jeez, why would you assume something like that, why would you want to, and to what aim?
Not being treated as a hate crime. Polish attacking Polish.

Keep the hysteria going though.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
What a strange comment.
A) They weren't "beaten within an inch of their lives"
B) It wasn't racial

There's enough post referendum hysteria without using hyberbolic language such as the above nevermind the fact that it was a Polish gyspy attacking another Polish national.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
A) They weren't "beaten within an inch of their lives"
B) It wasn't racial

There's enough post referendum hysteria without using hyberbolic language such as the above nevermind the fact that it was a Polish gyspy attacking another Polish national.
It's an expression used, no need to be pedantic, the pictures showed that they were well and truly battered, and were knocked out cold. As I said I wasn't aware because the report I read said they were saying they were attacked by an English man.

Last edited:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The Sun have reported the a relative of two Poles beaten up has claimed that it was just a drunken beat up rather than a racist attack.

Having said that you would have to have your head in the sand to think racial attacks have not increased. The racists do now think 52% of the country is with them after all.

Swaters16

Assuming people who suffer racial abuse must be lying? Slippery slope
Hardly. I'd call it healthy skepticism. I'm sure you're aware of the melodrama at the moment. Do you honestly believe that over the past four or so days there have been the thousands of racially motivated attacks that have been claimed? I'm not convinced, there are people who would happily concoct lies in order to paint the leave camp as 100% racists and convince everyone the world is falling apart.
As well, there has been intense fearmongering about racial attacks from the remain camp. Anyone who feels they could be a target is on high alert and are looking out for it. They could easily misinterpret a situation in this environment. Or perhaps they were slighted in a mild form and have exaggereted situation.
I'm not assuming people who suffer racial abuse are lying. I'm saying there should be proof.
There have been plenty of stories over the years of people maliciously lying in order to gain attention or push their agenda. I always think of the US college student who claimed that someone had taped a swastika to her door or in her dorm somewhere, before it was proven she did it herself.
Whether you are leave or remain, it's pretty obvious that people are awful. Remainers will lie, (hate to say it since I'm bsacially one of them) but millennials are often narcissistic, shallow and blinded by ideology.
The constant stories of 'I know someone whose been abused', 'I know a guy who knows a guy whose been abused' are following the narrative that remain have been pushing from the start.

On the other, there are likely people who have been racially attacked in some form recently. This is of course unacceptable. Which goes without saying. If there's been an attack, I'm sure there's evidence and the police can get involved. I don't need to say there are racists or that racism's bad, that much is obvious. I just think it's the right decision to assume there are people being caught up in the situation.

Smores

Rather good and powerful speech from whoever that Scottish MEP was then.

Quite the opposite from the Northern Ireland representative :lol:

Classical Mechanic

The Sun have reported the a relative of two Poles beaten up has claimed that it was just a drunken beat up rather than a racist attack.

Having said that you would have to have your head in the sand to think racial attacks have not increased. The racists do now think 52% of the country is with them after all.
At least you can rely on the BBC to be rational. Their Radio 4 report stated that yes there has been a spike in reported racial hate crimes but the this is common atter a national trauma like a terrorist attack etc. But the overall tend in the past few years has been a decline in racial hate crimes. I think the spike was reported at 50% but at that time totaled to 85 incidents.

It is too soon to tell if this spike will continue. My guess is that it won't.

FlawlessThaw

At least you can rely on the BBC to be rational. Their Radio 4 report stated that yes there has been a spike in reported racial hate crimes but the this is common at a national trauma like a terrorist attack etc. But the overall tend in the past few years has been a decline in racial hate crimes. I think the spike was reported at 50% but at that time totaled to 85 incidents.

No I suspect it will die down as well, certainly a lot quicker than the economic turmoil we're facing. It still doesn't stop Asians and Poles from being a bit worried which I suspect will still continue to be the case.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
At least you can rely on the BBC to be rational. Their Radio 4 report stated that yes there has been a spike in reported racial hate crimes but the this is common atter a national trauma like a terrorist attack etc. But the overall tend in the past few years has been a decline in racial hate crimes. I think the spike was reported at 50% but at that time totaled to 85 incidents.

I was about to post something similar and it's good to have some calm perspective. 85 incidents is 85 too many (and no doubt there is unreporteed incidents) but if that's just an increase from 50+ over 4 days in a population of 64 million then I think you can say it's not quite the racist armageddon that some are trying to claim.

It still doesn't stop Asians and Poles from being a bit worried which I suspect will still continue to be the case.
Well the Poles have long had concerns about the Asian community who for some time now have been arguing against Eastern European immigration into the UK. It's not just white on black/asian/white it's across the board these days. A lot of fractured ethnic minorities.

Re the depiction on this board of England in particular descending into some sort of racist whirlpool post referendum it's worth pointing out for accuracies sake that, certainly for the majority of this century (don't know about further back) racism in Scotland seems to be more of an issue according to official figures. Northern Ireland has also had a long standing problem particularly in protestant areas.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
It's an expression used, no need to be pedantic, the pictures showed that they were well and truly battered, and were knocked out cold. As I said I wasn't aware because the report I read said they were saying they were attacked by an English man.
It's not pedantic it's hyperbole and it spreads like wildfire on the web. In this incident a non racial non life threatening attack suddenly becomes a racist incident with someone almost being murdered. Fair enough it was misreported but I think it's always worth taking a look at more than one source for stories such as this and any others that will be doing the rounds in the post referendum panic. I think we all have a responsibility in fact to try and not add to the wealth of misinformation, from whatever side, that is being peddled knowingly or not.

Classical Mechanic

It's not pedantic it's hyperbole and it spreads like wildfire on the web. In this incident a non racial non life threatening attack suddenly becomes a racist incident with someone almost being murdered. Fair enough it was misreported but I think it's always worth taking a look at more than one source for stories such as this and any others that will be doing the rounds in the post referendum panic. I think we all have a responsibility in fact to try and not add to the wealth of misinformation, from whatever side, that is being peddled knowingly or not.
This thread has seemed to me as one of hysteria and schadenfreude for Remain voters. Reveling in (or even willing) the country to unravel and for the Leave voters to be punished.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

I just ignored him. Simples.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
EU have made it clear Britain will not have access to Single Market without Free movement.

FlawlessThaw

Saw this on reddit, it's from Manchester.
Unfortunately I've seen at least a couple of incidents like that pre-Brexit. The only major difference now is that these cnuts think they can tell people to go home because borders will be closed. God they're morons.