g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How are unions viewed there? (Might be self explanatory considering they're very large)

Unions here are demonized
Well, a huge percentage of the population are members and it's almost impossible to fire anyone here in Sweden. As I say, Swedes don't have the lower class of other countries, the middle class is the huge majority and most I speak to understand how important Unions are.

Might be worth a read on Unionens website: http://www.unionen.se/in-english

Carolina Red

Staff
I was very proud to be a NUPE steward, back in the day. I've always told any young workers to get into a union.
The way things are here, basically if we attempt to form a union, we will be fired.

I imagine trade unions in England began to decline with Thatcher the same way they declined with Reagan here?
Well, a huge percentage of the population are members and it's almost impossible to fire anyone here in Sweden. As I say, Swedes don't have the lower class of other countries, the middle class is the huge majority and most I speak to understand how important Unions are.

Might be worth a read on Unionens website: http://www.unionen.se/in-english
I appreciate it! I wish things were that way here, although I can see a possible downside to it being too difficult to fire someone.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Its really just hit me... we're a right laughing stock aren't we?

Was wondering how long it would take for this realisation? The entire planet noticed this decision and are talking about it.
Right now.

In every corner of the planet, the following themes are being hotly debated:

- Previously exploited countries of the empire and enemy countries are laughing their head off.
- Some are utterly bemused at why United Kingdom would self-sabotage itself like this, especially given its supposed intellect and political nous and history.
- Many are thinking that the experiment of becoming a cosmopolitan and multi racial country, an idea that was aggressively sold to the world via the 2012 Olympic games, has utterly failed.
- Many will think that United Kingdom remains the racist country it was back in the 1970s.

Last edited:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
What a bunch of entitled cretins. Their parents should cut 'em off and let them earn their way through life.

Children are the worst investment people can make these days.
Aye you'd much rather support the mum here:

It is not a prejudice that Jamie shares. “My mum voted to leave the EU because she doesn’t want non-British citizens here. Despite the fact that my brother and I have been extremely vocal about our reasons for staying in, she’s chosen to vote out because she doesn’t like the local Asian population. It makes no sense to me.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
So glad absolutely no relatives I know of (and I have a lot) voted leave.

Just today my Grandpa got absolutely lambasted in the hairdresser's for "betraying your generation" by the guy next to him, tried to engage the guy in cordial conversation regarding being a WW2 veteran also but seeing things differently but he was just met by more swearing and insults; before the vote I took it for granted most people were the same as us but now I feel very lucky.

Carolina Red

Staff
What a bunch of entitled cretins. Their parents should cut 'em off and let them earn their way through life.

Children are the worst investment people can make these days.
Yeah.. The kids are the ones with the warped view. Right. And runaway slaves were just ungrateful.

AshfordLad

Aye you'd much rather support the mum here:
How about this
“I’ve been having the most terrible rows with my mum about it, as I’m so heartbroken by the result,” says Alex. “Both my parents voted to leave despite me begging them not to. I tried to explain the effects it would have on my future, and my children’s future – but each time it would just end in the most awful arguments. Now, with the way things are, I feel like I can barely look at them. It sounds melodramatic, but I feel so betrayed by it all.”
Or this
‘How can Remain voters call leave voters ‘racist?’”
“I had pointed out that sharing EDL, Britain First and BNP posts online [means] people will assume you share those views and are likely to call you a racist, homophobe and a sexist.”
After that, things took a nasty turn. “I’m no longer engaging with it. My family isn’t impressed I ‘called my family racist’, and the whole referendum has certainly created a them versus us divide that I don’t think will heal any time soon. I haven’t spoken to any of them since Friday. It’s a bit sore.”
Just because that malignant lump on socitey called nick griffin breathes air, we are all supposed boycott breathing?

I voted remain so and am not arguing the merits of leave vs. remain, just pointing out the thankless nature of the 15-25 people these days. Whiney cnuts.

FlawlessThaw

How about this

Or this

Just because that malignant lump on socitey called nick griffin breathes air, we are all supposed boycott breathing?

I voted remain so and am not arguing the merits of leave vs. remain, just pointing out the thankless nature of the 15-25 people these days. Whiney cnuts.
First one seems quite melodramatic. Second one less so, everyone has to breathe, not everyone has to share political views. Neither of them are honestly that bad, certainly not as bad as voting Leave because you don't like Asians.

AshfordLad

First one seems quite melodramatic. Second one less so, everyone has to breathe, not everyone has to share political views. Neither of them are honestly that bad, certainly not as bad as voting Leave because you don't like Asians.
Second kid is either down right cnut or mentally unstable.

You would want the parents to change their view just because bnp share the same view? That makes no sense.

Confirmed anti-semite livingston was on remain side. Does that make all remainers "Nazi"?

FlawlessThaw

Second kid is either down right cnut or mentally unstable.

You would want the parents to change their view just because bnp share the same view? That makes no sense.

Confirmed anti-semite livingston was on remain side. Does that make all remainers "Nazi"?
Depends on the view. If it's to get rid of Asians or that all immigrants are bad then yeah sure. If it's something else...well do the BNP have any specific unsavoury views that are worth sharing?

RedFish

Not sure if this isn't a setup. Democracy rules, but should matters like Brexit ever be put to a referendum in the first place. I respect the outcome, but am despaired by it in equal measure.

FlawlessThaw

17.1m voters share the brexit view with BNP so yeah, they are all racists. Worse than child logic, its spoilt brat logic.
No need to misquote. The person was talking about his own family sharing stuff from racist - not all 17.1m voters, the majority I presume are angels.

AshfordLad

He was saying his family were sharing BNP and Britain First shit online so he can belive his family were at least a little racist
Ah thnx man. missed the "sharing" bit. That totally changes the picture.

No need to misquote. The person was talking about his own family sharing stuff from racist - not all 17.1m voters, the majority I presume are angels.
Yeah as above, mis-read the second one. The first one is still a whiney entitled brat though, so my OP still holds.

RedFish

Post Brexit, rather than give up, I hope that efforts to promote social harmony through community projects in all areas throughout the land will be given the resources it needs. I don't and will not accept a culture of division,and hatred and refuse to believe that right wing politics will condemn to the past the progress this country has made in the last 30 odd years especially when it comes to the respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs. I say that in the light of reported acts and demonstations of xenophobia which is wholly unpalatable.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How about this

Or this

They're actually quite right to be thankless. They're about to experience their second recession before they're thirty, having lost the automatic right to travel and work in the Union they overwhelming wanted to stay a part of.

If we're talking about generational selfishness then, as was pointed out above, the baby boomer generation have zero credibility when it comes to criticising the current generation, who will be most effected by the older generation's sometimes racist, often ill-informed and entirely illogical decision

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
From my Facebook...

Dom Beaven said:
Right. feck this. We're ALL up shit creek and we need a paddle. Now, not in three months.

Fellow Remain voters: Enough already. Yes, we're all pissed off but navel gazing ain't gonna help. Not all 17 million Leave voters can possibly be racist northern pensioners without an O level to their name. Maybe they have a point about this quitting the EU thing? Maybe not. Whatever, we are where we are and no amount a whinging is gonna change that. Allegedly we're the intelligent ones, so get your thinking caps on.

Leave voters. Well done. Good game. We hear you. Now you need to get stuck in to the aftermath and not just piss off back to Wetherspoons. (Just banter, twats!). And the first person to say they "want their country back" gets deported to fecking Gibraltar. OK?

Politicians.

David. feck off. Shut the door behind you. Now.

George. You may be a twat but you're our twat. Plus you know the passwords for our Junior Savers account. Get your calculator. Drop the face-like-a-slapped-ass routine. You're on.

Boris. Sorry mate. That photo of you abseiling by your scrotum over the London Olympics while waving a Union Jack can't ever be un-taken. Plus, you'll never be able to appear on Question Time again without some sturdy Glaswegian nurse asking where the feck her 350 million quid is. Not only will she have a very good point, she'll be wearing a T shirt that shows you gurning in front of that fecking bus! No captains hat for you I'm afraid.

Theresa. You're in charge love. Get the biggest shoulder pads you've got. We need Ming The Merciless in drag and you'll scare the shit out of 'em.

Nicola. Yep. Fair cop. You probably could get us on a technicality, as could London. But we fecking love shortbread. And oil. And to be honest you're probably the best politician we've got, so we need you on side. Sort your lot out and we promise never to mention that Jimmy Krankie thing again (although it is pretty uncanny) and we'll make you a Dame once we're sorted. Bring Ruth Davidson. She kicks ass.

Opposition party. We'll need one. Someone take Jeremy and John back to the British Legion Club where you found them. Take Nigel as well. Give back their sandals, buy them a pint, then go to Heathrow and collect David Milliband. feck it. Lets gets Ed Balls as well. He keeps George on his toes. I think he works on the lottery kiosk at Morrisons now?

Oh. And Mark Carney. Give him a knighthood and tell him to keep that shit coming. We definitely need more of that good shit!

Everyone set? Right. Hold the Easyjet. We're going to Brussels and this ain't no hen party.

#weneedaplan Share!
:lol:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
My wife, who has an Indian mother and a Northern Irish father, and was born in London, and is not religious at all, was just told 'You're a Muslim, you go behind me' by another parent when picking our children up from school :(
This sort of thing is going to become commonplace now, we've given them a platform, I was out in a few heavy leave towns in the north on my part time summer job and had a few lads sound fellas all from various ethnic backgrounds i.e. Polish, Belgian, few mixed race you get the gist, we'd split off in to twos and some of the stares they were getting, the phrase if looks could kill comes to mind. We've all been out in areas like this before and its never been a problem, but ever since the referendum its just been awful, seems to be apprehension and anger in abundance. This vote has awoken the closet Xenophobes and racists everything just tangibly feels different. Its an Us vs them mentality and they want every immigrant EU or not gone.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Jeez I thought that there's a problem in the training given in developing good football managers in Britain at the moment but I was wrong. Maybe its time for the Brits to hire a German as PM? It did work with the Royal family

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
One of my friends is saying her mum received abuse yesterday
Really upset that the Brexit vote has led to some people thinking they can be more openly prejudiced against ethnic minorities, as my mum experienced today. This is not the 'Great Britain' we chose to live in