Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
fair play enough, but the EU can't be that keen on free movement to save a bit on admin, that in no way makes it close to been as important as free trade.
We are keen on saving money and time, particularly for the companies since they are the ones that create wealth. That's why despite the fact everyone think that the EU are in bad shape, it's still the richest area. For Brussel pretty much everything is about money, the things that aren't almost always come from the UN and by principle the EU decided that they will be the first to respect International Laws and will be a leader in terms of Human rights.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Well, to be fair we (you, I and others) are talking about lots of things! My point re: nurses is to illustrate that this Government (just like its Coalition and Labour predecessors) have a jumbled view of immigration. There are the wrong push and pull factors for British workers and young people which has meant that immigration (both high skilled and low skilled) has been necessary to grow the economy. I want a Party (any Party to be honest) to present a joined-up approach to the economy, and not just piecemeal policies. But again, that is another debate, and likely off topic again!
to be fair we all have a jumbled view on immigration because it has benefits and problems so expecting a whole party to come togther its hard, not mention because they represent diffrent parts of the country which faces diffrent problems.

ive spent alot of time trying to figure out the issue where i stand how i feel, i mean i think ive seen benefits and negatives from immigration in my life, and would never say immigration is bad or good it depends of circumstances.

on the hole high immigration seems to be good when a country is booming and has an excess of jobs, but is a negative when a country is economically struggling. but even then thier are exceptions, like cheap labour in a struggling economy is good for business, but bad for workers as it keeps wages low.

i don't no the answer, but its complicated but i don't think we have been getting it right.

Manny

Grammar Police
A country should not be making fundamental, irreversible changes based on a razor-thin minority that might prevail only during a brief window of emotion.

That is my feeling also.
The parliament are happy to be out of the EU. I was watching the house of commons earlier and there was next to no mention of the 48% who wanted to remain. A second referendum was batted out pretty quickly and there was no talk of a further debate among MPs considering the referendum is only advisory and not a final decision. Yet they were all to happy to point out the bullsh!t spewed from the Leave camp and BoJo to sway the votes. 52-48 really shouldn't be binding on a poll of this magnitude and the whole thing is feeling like a sham.

It really is infighting with little consideration to what the public really need.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
We are keen on saving money and time, particularly for the companies since they are the ones that create wealth. That's why despite the fact everyone think that the EU are in bad shape, it's still the richest area. For Brussel pretty much everything is about money, the things that aren't almost always come from the UN and by principle the EU decided that they will be the first to respect International Laws and will be a leader in terms of Human rights.
i get all that, but you still havn't really answered why free movment is an important as free trade, beyond saving some money on admin, in terms of money free trade seems to win hands down?

JPRouve

Scout
i get all that, but you still havn't really answered why free movment is an important as free trade, beyond saving some money on admin, in terms of money free trade seems to win hands down?
free trade means no customs fees, which means no automatic customs controls at the borders. Free movements means no Visa fees, which means no automatic controls at the borders or at least light controls.

Free trade without free movement means that you have a very heavy custom administration that is not financed by the customs fees. And if you don't have the heavy administration and heavy controls, you are basically allowing free movement.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
free trade means no customs fees, which means no automatic customs controls at the borders. Free movements means no Visa fees, which means no automatic controls at the borders or at least light controls.

Free trade without free movement means that you have a very heavy custom administration that is not financed by the customs fees. And if you don't have the heavy administration and heavy controls, you are basically allowing free movement.
So you basically saying the eu wouldn't allow free trade because it is scared of admin fees at epically at customs ?

That doesn't seem to add to me...... Maybe I'm wrong :s

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hodgson will sit well alongside Boris and gove

Minimalist

Hope you lads can negotiate a trade deal better than your footballers can negotiate a heavy favourites knock out match.

JPRouve

Scout
So you basically saying the eu wouldn't allow free trade because it is scared of admin fees at epically at customs ?

That doesn't seem to add to me...... Maybe I'm wrong :s
No, it will just cost you more money or the EU will negotiate a good trade agreement. You don't need to have access to the free market to trade with the EU.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hope you lads can negotiate a trade deal better than your footballers can negotiate a heavy favourites knock out match.
Damn foreigners. England would have won if the Iceland players didn't showed up and stole their chance of winning the tournament

Will Absolute

Free trade and freedom of movement are not necessarily joined at the hip though. For instance, Mexico and the US are both signatories of NAFTA (The North American Free Trade Agreement) and there's no freedom of movement between the two countries. No legal freedom of movement anyway:D

I think the EU have linked two distinct ideas as part of their ultimate political project of European Unity. They're both steps along that road. Countries can't get one without the other because the EU don't want the real advantage of EU membership, The Single Market, to be available without signing up for the political project as well. If offered a free choice, too many countries would take the Single Market and leave the political stuff on the table.

JPRouve

Scout
Free trade and freedom of movement are not necessarily joined at the hip though. For instance, Mexico and the US are both signatories of NAFTA (The North American Free Trade Agreement) and there's no freedom of movement between the two countries. No legal freedom of movement anyway:D

I think the EU have linked two distinct ideas as part of their ultimate political project of European Unity. They're both steps along that road. Countries can't get one without the other because the EU don't want the real advantage of EU membership, The Single Market, to be available without signing up for the political project as well. If offered a free choice, too many countries would take the Single Market and leave the political stuff on the table.
The US alone are an example of why free trade and freedom of movement are linked in some cases.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not denying there's a certain logic to it. Just saying that you can have one without the other.
You can when you have the US market in the first place. We want to emulate the US market not the trade agreement between the US market and Mexico.

Stemmy

Man England are really doubling down on this European exit here. First the Brexit vote, then a very convincing reenactment to follow up.

JPRouve

Scout
:confused:

But you talked about Europe aspiring to emulate the internal US market, whose character is shaped by the country's political unity.
Emulate was the wrong word, the EU wants to have a market as big and as powerful as the US market.

Will Absolute

Emulate was the wrong word, the EU wants to have a market as big and as powerful as the US market.
Fair enough. But the philosophical question about Europe, I guess, is whether true economic unification is possible without political unification. In my opinion, if it wants to survive, Europe will have to settle for something less grandiose. Wider, deeper, bigger >> explosion.

cyberman

Bullsye doing a bit on the EU on challenge tv. That must be 20 years old at least.
Someone has a sense of humour.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair enough. But the philosophical question about Europe, I guess, is whether true economic unification is possible without political unification. In my opinion, if it wants to survive, Europe will have to settle for something less grandiose. Wider, deeper, bigger >> explosion.
In my opinion the EU should have been smaller but with a stronger political unification. I don't really like the 28 members thingy.

Gibraltar in talks with Scotland to stay in the EU

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I do think the leavers are right in a way. We have to work together now to get EU-Lite. We can't remain in the EU as it is because 52% of people voted Leave. It's constitutionally wrong.
  • Free movement of workers is fine. Norway and Swiss have it that way anyway, so why can't we? Nothing is done that can't be undone.
  • Restrictions on migration from Turkey for at least 10 years (and any future expansion countries).
  • A right to veto some EU laws, meaning it just wont apply to the UK (we'd never use it, but it gives us sovereignty).
  • Ability to ask migrants to leave if they don't have a job (and haven't lived here for.. 3 years?)
  • We're happy to contribute to the EU budget. Heck, double it.
  • Scotland and Northern Ireland can stay in EU proper.
Do all the sensible leavers accept this?
Seems like this might be possible

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36639770

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
There was (in my opinion) a great documentary made by Robert Reich called Inequality for All that highlights this as one of the key factors in growing wealth inequality in the US.
Yeah watched that last summer - was really interesting