Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
This thread has seemed to me as one of hysteria and schadenfreude for Remain voters. Reveling in (or even willing) the country to unravel and for the Leave voters to be punished.
It's not about revelling or wishing, its about not being able to see any scenario where we don't all end up fecked.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
This thread has seemed to me as one of hysteria and schadenfreude for Remain voters. Reveling in (or even willing) the country to unravel and for the Leave voters to be punished.
Yeah, of course I want my business to fail, and of course I want the country to unravel so my children's futures are ruined, and i'd love for them to see incidents like the video above every time they leave the house, just so I can laugh and sneer at the remain voters in the hope they feel guilty for the way they voted. For fecks sake.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Saw this on reddit, it's from Manchester.
Do you honestly believe that over the past four or so days there have been the thousands of racially motivated attacks that have been claimed? I'm not convinced, there are people who would happily concoct lies in order to paint the leave camp as 100% racists and convince everyone the world is falling apart.
As well, there has been intense fearmongering about racial attacks from the remain camp. Anyone who feels they could be a target is on high alert and are looking out for it. They could easily misinterpret a situation in this environment. Or perhaps they were slighted in a mild form and have exaggereted situation.
I'm not assuming people who suffer racial abuse are lying. I'm saying there should be proof.
There have been plenty of stories over the years of people maliciously lying in order to gain attention or push their agenda. I always think of the US college student who claimed that someone had taped a swastika to her door or in her dorm somewhere, before it was proven she did it herself.
Whether you are leave or remain, it's pretty obvious that people are awful. Remainers will lie, (hate to say it since I'm bsacially one of them) but millennials are often narcissistic, shallow and blinded by ideology.
The constant stories of 'I know someone whose been abused', 'I know a guy who knows a guy whose been abused' are following the narrative that remain have been pushing from the start.

On the other, there are likely people who have been racially attacked in some form recently. This is of course unacceptable. Which goes without saying. If there's been an attack, I'm sure there's evidence and the police can get involved. I don't need to say there are racists or that racism's bad, that much is obvious. I just think it's the right decision to assume there are people being caught up in the situation.

Drifter

American
Kelvin MacKenzie now regrets voting for leave. Leave really didn't believe this would have been the outcome.

Independent: Kelvin Mackenzie admits 'buyer's remorse' after voting for Brexit

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Untied

Do you honestly believe that over the past four or so days there have been the thousands of racially motivated attacks that have been claimed? I'm not convinced, there are people who would happily concoct lies in order to paint the leave camp as 100% racists and convince everyone the world is falling apart.
As well, there has been intense fearmongering about racial attacks from the remain camp. Anyone who feels they could be a target is on high alert and are looking out for it. They could easily misinterpret a situation in this environment. Or perhaps they were slighted in a mild form and have exaggereted situation.
I'm not assuming people who suffer racial abuse are lying. I'm saying there should be proof.
There have been plenty of stories over the years of people maliciously lying in order to gain attention or push their agenda. I always think of the US college student who claimed that someone had taped a swastika to her door or in her dorm somewhere, before it was proven she did it herself.
Whether you are leave or remain, it's pretty obvious that people are awful. Remainers will lie, (hate to say it since I'm bsacially one of them) but millennials are often narcissistic, shallow and blinded by ideology.
The constant stories of 'I know someone whose been abused', 'I know a guy who knows a guy whose been abused' are following the narrative that remain have been pushing from the start.

On the other, there are likely people who have been racially attacked in some form recently. This is of course unacceptable. Which goes without saying. If there's been an attack, I'm sure there's evidence and the police can get involved. I don't need to say there are racists or that racism's bad, that much is obvious. I just think it's the right decision to assume there are people being caught up in the situation.
Could not disagree more. We have just held a vote in which the side harbouring the racists and the fascists won. The far right feels emboldened. Covert racism is becoming overt. The Leave result has poisoned the country and to dismiss the incidents as false flag attacks is to abandon the fight against racism and xenophobia wherever it occurs.

Edit: Incorrectly quoted @rcoobc 's quote of this post

Last edited:
CapX: Brexit is an opportunity, as long as Graham Brady gets a move on

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
It's not about revelling or wishing, its about not being able to see any scenario where we don't all end up fecked.
Alternatives to us all being fecked are freely being discussed and debated all over whatever media you prefer mate. Here's one for a starter

http://capx.co/brexit-is-an-opportunity-as-long-as-graham-brady-gets-a-move-on/

This forum is clearly heavily populated by remainers and you're not going to get a balanced view as a result. There are many who think that the path the UK has taken will prove to be the right one.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Alternatives to us all being fecked are freely being discussed and debated all over whatever media you prefer mate. Here's one for a starter

This forum is clearly heavily populated by remainers and you're not going to get a balanced view as a result. There are many who think that the path the UK has taken will prove to be the right one.
Unfortunately, debate requires statistics, reason and evidence to back it up. That article is based on nothing. 'Things will be fine because it isn't in peoples interests for it to be bad for a while' is just as meaningless as 'countries will want to do business with us because we're big'. It's conjecture, it's not based on anything. There's nothing to make it stand out as anything more than personal opinion. To construct a balanced view you require statistics, previous experience, a plan etc. Not just a meaningless statement that isn't backed up by anything.

Minimalist

The amount of racist incidents now being recorded in broad daylight is genuinely depressing.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München

Is there anything substantial in this opinion piece other than "What a great opportunity to buy stocks for cheap" and "All it needs is to have a new Tory PM quickly"?

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Is there anything substantial in this opinion piece other than "What a great opportunity to buy stocks for cheap" and "All it needs is to have a new Tory PM quickly"?
Quite a bit of you can get past your seething resentment at the referendum result that seeps from your post. I'll leave it with you but it was just a nod to a poster looking for positivity and it's a positive view of the markets as well as the current power vacuum.

Untied

Serves me right for not reading the thread properly that I quoted @rcoobc rather than the original post. Changed now, unlike my horror at the increase in racist attacks

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Unfortunately, debate requires statistics, reason and evidence to back it up. That article is based on nothing. 'Things will be fine because it isn't in peoples interests for it to be bad for a while' is just as meaningless as 'countries will want to do business with us because we're big'. It's conjecture, it's not based on anything. There's nothing to make it stand out as anything more than personal opinion. To construct a balanced view you require statistics, previous experience, a plan etc. Not just a meaningless statement that isn't backed up by anything.
A brief opinion piece that all is not as bad as some may say. Nothing more and nothing less. I'll be popping in every now and then with a few more rays of sunshine for those of a gloomy disposition so stay tuned.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
A brief opinion piece that all is not as bad as some may say. Nothing more and nothing less. I'll be popping in every now and then with a few more rays of sunshine for those of a gloomy disposition so stay tuned.
Please do, it would be legitimately good to see. At this point in time there seems to be no evidence for it bar a load of people saying 'trust me guys, it'll all be fine'. The opinion piece you posted is as valid as me saying 'it's all gone to shit'. Neither are backed up with anything.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Kelvin MacKenzie now regrets voting for leave. Leave really didn't believe this would have been the outcome.
A man who has spent his entire life, often in position of great influence, pontificating and telling us what to think, yet when faced with the biggest choice he's ever had completely changes his mind in less than a week.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Saw this on Iplayer. It felt like Farage was being an utter cnut and doing his best to sabotage relations with the EU. Ahead of negotiations no less
I think that's his goal. He doesn't want all this EEA/free movement, the the Leave campaign seems to be heading towards.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.

Well put, I'm glad to see there's some balance in this thread.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hilarious to see all this newfound 'healthy skepticism' when confronted with claims of racist attacks and hate crimes... Where was that healthy skepticism when you were eating up the lies from the leave campaign? The lies that some are still eating up...

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

And in the view of many of us they are naive dreamers who are gambling the country's future on a long list of maybes, any of which could cause the whole thing to fail. Don't get me wrong, we will stabilize eventually, but it would take some absolutely superb governance to make us come out of this better than we went into it, and in case you haven't noticed recently the people governing us (in all the parties) are largely a bunch of barely functional idiots.

Oh and I love his advice by the way..

"I am sticking my neck out, but now is probably the time to buy shares in Lloyds Bank, move house, or invest in the UK."

Sure, that's all the struggling working class sorted then, they just need to buy a house and expand their shares portfolio..

Starting to affect my work now. Got an email from a supplier warning us of price increases of up to 10% because of the £'s current weakness against the $.

I'm getting a strong feeling that this is one time where democracy has failed us. It feels wrong to go ahead with this due to such a small majority especially when there's been so much backtracking and lies. This is a crucial matter for us. In hindsight, imagine if people were able to confirm what they originally voted for, after reality has hit home and the truth is there for all to see. I doubt we'd see this outcome.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah that sounds about right to me.
Hysteria. What do you exactly class as 'fecked'?

Yeah, of course I want my business to fail, and of course I want the country to unravel so my children's futures are ruined, and i'd love for them to see incidents like the video above every time they leave the house, just so I can laugh and sneer at the remain voters in the hope they feel guilty for the way they voted. For fecks sake.
I haven't read any of your posts in here. But I don't think your children's futures will be ruined or that they will see incidents like that every time they leave the house.

Manny

Grammar Police
Eh, I was quoting Swaters16. Serves me right for not making it obvious I guess.
Yeah you might want to back and put that in quotes because its looks like you've said it.

Nice! Hopefully there will be many more like her.

This feels like the US elections and trying to get superdelegates to change sides and back Bernie.
Not sure it will help much. 2/3 in parliament want out of the EU.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Eh, I was quoting Swaters16. Serves me right for not making it obvious I guess.
Apologies, missed that. I do think @Swaters16 is right to be sceptical. The remain camp have been harping on about the apocalyptic repercussions for leaving the EU, I rather get the feeling they are secretly hoping for the markets to tank and a racist incidents to become commonplace - just to prove that they were right all along.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Apologies, missed that. I do think @Swaters16 is right to be sceptical. The remain camp have been harping on about the apocalyptic repercussions for leaving the EU, I rather get the feeling they are secretly hoping for the markets to tank and a racist incidents to become commonplace - just to prove that they were right all along.
Why would they want that? They voted against that. :houllier:

steeeb

Starting to affect my work now. Got an email from a supplier warning us of price increases of up to 10% because of the £'s current weakness against the $.

I'm getting a strong feeling that this is one time where democracy has failed us. It feels wrong to go ahead with this due to such a small majority especially when there's been so much backtracking and lies. This is a crucial matter for us. In hindsight, imagine if people were able to confirm what they originally voted for, after reality has hit home and the truth is there for all to see. I doubt we'd see this outcome.
I think it's the government that has failed is due to all the doomongering beforehand and having no plan if we did in fact leave - and then throwing the toys out of him pram and leaving. Had the position been more neutral and a plan in place to leave and to make us look good and give us some encouragement that we could get through this there wouldn't be half the problem.

The pound is weak due to uncertainty. The uncertainty stems from the government. Even the opposition is in bits.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Their Radio 4 report stated that yes there has been a spike in reported racial hate crimes but the this is common atter a national trauma like a terrorist attack etc.
To point out the obvious, the difference is that from the point of view of the aggressors, the triggering event in this case is something desirable, something they actively pushed for themselves.

Given this, I don't think it's unreasonable to interpret such reactions as the result of certain people feeling empowered or entitled by Brexit: That's not a pretty picture. Much uglier, I would argue, than the same people lashing out as a reaction to an upsetting, undesirable event (e.g. a terrorist attack).