Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Without Britain and it's lobbying for big finance and wall street, we surely will see more financial regulation. It is something which could even make the EU look good in the eyes of the people now, because most have wanted this for a long time. This would mean the UK (or probably just Britain at this point) would lose a major advantage to international finance. You will still need a headquarter inside of the EU and it can't be London anymore. Frankfurt just waited for this, they talked about this for weeks. Probably the only ones in Germany welcoming a Brexit.
Yeah, I bet they have... pretty worrying considering I work for an Insurance company based in the City. I imagine Frankfurt will seize the opportunity in full... they'll be a feck ton of investment coming there way over the next 2 years.

We've basically just shot one of our biggest and best industries in the arm.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Wait, people really think they'd benefit in Poland? Not to sound ignorant but surely given the vast amount of Polish who immigrate to the wealthier EU countries, it would be a disaster if you guys left, no? Or is it seen that without the option to emigrate that it would mean a greater workforce there to proceed forward?
Yep there's a non-insignificant minority here who genuinely believe that. People truly think we'd catch up with Western Europe in no time if we left.

That's a minority though. Majority here would like us to stay.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yep there's a non-insignificant minority here who genuinely believe that. People truly think we'd catch up with Western Europe in no time if we left.
Can't understand that. Your country is as reliant on Germany as Ireland is on the UK (and that's saying something), and believe me, we are going to feel the effects of the UK leaving the EU, badly.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i'm going to start a leave campaign to free myself of old people and people with iq's lower than 75.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Isn't Frankfurt already going that way? Certainly it's not currently near London in that aspect, but definitely on the rise and arguably the financial centre of mainland Europe, at least.

Germany's 'downfall' (phrasing) has always been a lack of a 'super city' like London. They don't have any city with the population or vast reach that London does, but Frankfurt certainly has the capability. A huge airport, big financial district, very well educated workforce and in the largest and most well educated country in the EU. Makes sense to me.
If Scotland stayed in the EU rather than the UK then Edinburgh would be another possibility (Paris is also hoping to be able to give a bunch of the finance companies a new home as well)

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I know this isn't a Brexit Q&A thread, but for people looking to move and work abroad within europe, will this having any effect as of now? Or is it something that won't change until after we officially leave (which could take years).

Ban

I haven't kept track of Remain and Leave campaigns.

But it's the democracy. Most people will believe what they want to believe and if you scare them enough and fed them with lot of bs they'll believe it and will be eager to ovte your way. I don't know if that kind of thing happened with Leave campaign but can imagine.

I often feel shocked when I see what people write on facebook or say in general and what they believe. You live in a bubble in the sense of knowing people who are educated and share similar thoughts but majority of people don't think or live like you do.

Revan

Assumptionman
If Scotland stayed in the EU rather than the UK then Edinburgh would be another possibility (Paris is also hoping to be able to give a bunch of the finance companies a new home as well)
So, where are you building that factory now?

I guess that both Frankfurt and Dublin will benefit a lot from Brexit. Edinburgh too if Scotland gets independence, but by that stage, it might be that most of the big companies have been already allocated.

Ibi Dreams

I know this isn't a Brexit Q&A thread, but for people looking to move and work abroad within europe, will this having any effect as of now? Or is it something that won't change until after we officially leave (which could take years).
It's going to take a while to come into effect, there needs to be a lot of discussion about exactly how we are going to leave the EU and what our relationship with Europe will be from now on.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Sorry Kostur, but this is completely unsubstantiated. It's wishful thinking.
As in the dissolution of EU? Pretty much depends on how the rulling ones in the EU react now and how many countries will want a referendum themselves I guess.

But this is not really a problem and it does not get overlooked. Everybody knows they are coming here and there is no issue with that because they are not taking our jobs (mostly) and they are not causing any trouble. It's been a thing for over a decade already, even pre-war, people from Ukraine and Belarus have come here often because we're a better market for them.

None of these 'waves of immigration' would stay here in large numbers though. They needed Poland to get to Europe, that's all. Besides, again, we're talking several thousand people in a 38 million country and nobody would ever force anyone to give them jobs and our social care is not enough to support them without jobs anyways. The entire concept that they'd cause trouble, rape our women and kill our children (which was literally the thing people accused them of during protests) was extremely embarrassing. You can point at cultural differences being an obstacle without accusing people of something they are not. But I don't think this belongs in the above conversation.
Yeah, I agree with you that those accusations of the killing or raping stuff was absolute nonsense. As for the Ukrainian part, yeah, there always was this migration of Belarusians and Ukrainians to us but never to such an extent as it is nowadays due to their war with Russia though. As you can see in this thread it's been already mentioned that we're bunch of cnuts for not welcoming the immigration process, being mocked that we don't know shit about immigration while it gets completly ignored by those who do it that we indeed have an immigration but from the other side of our border.

And yeah, they probably wouldn't want to stay here due to insufficient welfare help. As for Korwin Mikke, no, I'm not one of those, I consider him to be an enormous idiot.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Edinburgh? Absolutely no chance. It's too small. More likely to be Dublin given the fact that so many global companies already have headquarters here, but that won't happen either.

Frankfurt is the only city I see with the workforce, airport, money, and already established financial sector to take over.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I foresee a scenario where different factions arise in Britain with extremist left/right wing views and the country is fractured into ten different warring states. This will lead to a Mad Max style collapse of the economy where diminishing fuel sources and huge cars are the currency.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
As in the dissolution of EU? Pretty much depends on how the rulling ones in the EU react now and how many countries will want a referendum themselves I guess.
Yes it does, but nobody knows this which is why it's wishful thinking and a stupid reason to vote to leave. There is no indication that this will happen, it's as stupid as saying that Turkey is about to join the EU.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
So the result of the referendum isn't legally binding right?

Obviously it'll probably cause uproar, but is there even the slightest possibility that we won't go through with this afterall?

It wasn't exactly a landslide victory for Leave.

Just thinking out loud really.

SirAF

Ageist
I foresee a scenario where different factions arise in Britain with extremist left/right wing views and the country is fractured into ten different warring states. This will lead to a Mad Max style collapse of the economy where diminishing fuels ounces and huge cars are the currency.
Yeah yeah, but what about the football?

Manny

Grammar Police
Yeah, I bet they have... pretty worrying considering I work for an Insurance company based in the City. I imagine Frankfurt will seize the opportunity in full... they'll be a feck ton of investment coming there way over the next 2 years.

We've basically just shot one of our biggest and best industries in the arm.
Yep, being the financial centre for Europe is gone and unlikely to ever return.

We will be losing lots of companies and high paying jobs, that this country will miss through employment and taxes. Taxes that a lot of the Leave support will be made to make up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That sentence is making my brain bleed. From the noobie forum?
A comment on a status on Facebook. Every leave status/comment apart from one person has been similarly put together on my Facebook. I'm not saying that says it all, but it sure is a trend.

Five legal points about the Leave victory

the hea

Nothing will change in the immediate future it will probably take at least 2 years before you will see some real changes to your everyday life.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Poor Scotland. Hope they get their independence.
If they had a referendum now they 100% would get it.

Nah Edinbrugh has no chance, they'd have to leave the UK first... and that takes time in itself. Frankfurt already has the prospects and the infrastructure to do it... Paris is a shout though, because of its size and stature.

simon_xazza

So the result of the referendum isn't legally binding right?

Obviously it'll probably cause uproar, but is there even the slightest possibility that we won't go through with this afterall?

It wasn't exactly a landslide victory for Leave.

Just thinking out loud really.
No It is done. We are leaving the EU.

Over 65s voted overwhelming in favour of leaving the EU while the younger generation, who will live with the consequences, voted stronger to remain but it wasn't enough.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Edinburgh? Absolutely no chance. It's too small. More likely to be Dublin given the fact that so many global companies already have headquarters here, but that won't happen either.

Frankfurt is the only city I see with the workforce, airport, money, and already established financial sector to take over.
Frankfurt also has a major stock exchange, the ECB is based there, and the city is located in the biggest european country. So it's safe to say, that Frankfurt will soak up the most, yeah.

Green_Red

Our country (Ireland) has prospered in the EU far more than it ever would have outside it and continue to reap benefits from it. Are you also forgetting that when we royally fecked ourselves in the recession, we got a €70 billion bailout from them? The EU may not be perfect but to question why anyone would be a part of it is downright ignorant.
no we didnt get a 70 billion bailout from them. We got a loan which we have to pay back. And bankers are bankers, Irish / German. Why would Germany refuse to let us burn bank investors in Ireland yet they are able to burn bank investors in Germany?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yes it does, but nobody knows this which is why it's wishful thinking and a stupid reason to vote to leave. There is no indication that this will happen, it's as stupid as saying that Turkey is about to join the EU.
I think I'm getting caught up between two points of view here, Polish and British one. I guess that everybody will watch now GB will react to all of this, a guinean pig if you will. Hypothetically speaking, everything is fine in next 2-3 years, you guys bounce back from whatever recession, do you really think that more countries won't ask for referendas? You've got plenty of eurosceptical parties getting some power all around Europe, even in France, so surely if Britain manages it will be a fuel for the anti-EU movements?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I think I'm getting caught up between two points of view here, Polish and British one. I guess that everybody will watch now GB will react to all of this, a guinean pig if you will. Hypothetically speaking, everything is fine in next 2-3 years, you guys bounce back from whatever recession, do you really think that more countries won't ask for referendas? You've got plenty of eurosceptical parties getting some power all around Europe, even in France, so surely if Britain manages it will be a fuel for the anti-EU movements?
There is no evidence for any of what you just said. It's all just hopeful optimism. We need more than that to gamble with our futures.

Green_Red

Are you absolving Irish banks and politicians of all wrong doing here? Europe is far from perfect and in need of serious reform but the vast majority of Ireland's issues were created by our own internal greed and lack of foresight. Our economy was in rag order before we entered austerity and as @fcbforever said we were starting to come out the other side.
Did you even read the post? I never mentioned anything about Irish banks or politicians being 'absolved' from anything. You do know that Ireland was forced into a bailout right?

Untied

Nothing will change in the immediate future it will probably take at least 2 years before you will see some real changes to your everyday life.

Apart from fuel/energy prices (oil, coal and gas imports will be priced in $/€) and probably interest rate rises although it's still hard to know how/when the BoE will call that one.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Can someone quickly sum up what this means to someone who has literally no idea? I know as much as someone who'd just fell onto this planet.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
England have absolutely no right to deny Scotland and N.Ireland their referendum. Spain have also made play for Gibraltar.

Kostur

海尔的老板
There is no evidence for any of what you just said. It's all just hopeful optimism. We need more than that to gamble with our futures.
Of course it's pure speculating from me, I'm just saying what might happen. Obviously Britain might go to shite and ask politely to be taken back in for what it's worth.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah, I agree with you that those accusations of the killing or raping stuff was absolute nonsense. As for the Ukrainian part, yeah, there always was this migration of Belarusians and Ukrainians to us but never to such an extent as it is nowadays due to their war with Russia though. As you can see in this thread it's been already mentioned that we're bunch of cnuts for not welcoming the immigration process, being mocked that we don't know shit about immigration while it gets completly ignored by those who do it that we indeed have an immigration but from the other side of our border.

And yeah, they probably wouldn't want to stay here due to insufficient welfare help. As for Korwin Mikke, no, I'm not one of those, I consider him to be an enormous idiot.
Yep, I get it.

Mikke is a bellend of the highest order. I was once convinced by a mate to go to his 2-day convention with all the Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime from his party being there. It was hilarious but at the same time absolutely scary how insane those people were, I've never seen such density of idiots in one place.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In France the problems are local, it has nothing to do with the EU. People don't care about Brussel, you shouldn't listen to the press who gives way too much credit to Le Pen or Melenchon, they are both idiots and liars.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Frankfurt also has a major stock exchange, the ECB is based there, and the city is located in the biggest european country. So it's safe to say, that Frankfurt will soak up the most, yeah.
THat's the only positive i can think of from this vote, it will probably create some nice opportunities careerwise for me.