Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The alternative is a possible return to the troubles. Okay your not Irish so you don't give a shit but for people who do, a return to violence in Ireland(Not to f
orget there will be a increased chance of bombing happening in England)is a lot worse that EU diplomats have to engage with British politicians.

How ?

Granted I can't speak for the whole of Europe but I don't anyone gives a shit. There was a poll not to long ago that showed 20% of people in France thought Brexit had already happened. Plus we are only at the 1st step of negations, Brexit will be going for a very long time.

This is just stupid.

Throughout my short stay in the UK I voted for the staunchest Remainer parties there was available and in favour of remain. So I guess I care about the Irish border more then the majority of British people and a big chunk of the Northern Irish who still keep the DUP in control

Having said that we live in dangerous times. Our borders are threatened by Russia, the US president openly hates the EU and populism is raising its ugly head almost everywhere in the world. Thus the last thing the EU needs is to allow an unreliable member who hates the EU and is master in the divide and rule tactics to retain its membership and therefore its VETO. The EU is in dire need of reform which include more integration in issues such as security. We can't and we shouldn't keep a country who would probably sell us down the river either to try and appease Trump or just because it can.

I am not against a deal quite the contrary. However its evident that the UK doesn't want one. They dragged their feet throughout the past 2 years and when they finally agreed on a deal they couldn't pass it through parliament because of something they wanted in the first place (the backstop). So seriously, should we risk ruining the EU project, the same EU project that made Europe prosperous and peaceful for decades for some pipe dream?

PS I am not against offering some sort of temporary deal that safeguard the GFA up until we can agree a more permanent deal (the WA is all about that) However we simply can't allow such unreliable partner to retain its veto and to represent himself in the EU parliament. That would be madness.

@pocco

If I hated the British then I would have voted for Brexit as that was the surest way to damage the UK in numerous ways. Which isn't the case. However please understand that I am in no mood to see my country and the majority of Europe being dragged into chaos because of the clowns you voted in at Westminster.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In theory yes, but I always feel this 'special agreement' keeps things a bit frosty during negotiations.

Actually, I have always personally felt that if we really must remain we should probably join the Euro and fully align our laws with EU etc etc. I have never been a fan of this 'some parts in, some parts out' kind of relationship that we have had for the last many years.

But that's a different argument for another time.
Opt outs aren't special agreements, they are treaty based and unilaterally there are no negotiations about them. And again the EU isn't a foreign entity, the UK are the EU, this is the issue with some british they still don't understand that they are the EU.

devilish

The notion that Ireland would have to choose between being in the EU and the GFA is nonsense of such a high order that even most Brexiters don't try to put it forward as an argument. There is zero chance that happens, as well as zero reason why it should.
Whoever voted for Brexit knew that the GFA would be at risk and those who insist on a no deal Brexit including those who voted against removing a no deal Brexit off the table simply do not care about the GFA at all. The same can be said about those who are voting against the WA which seem to be one of the very few viable ways for the UK to leave the EU in an orderly manner and in total respect of the GFA.

Last edited:

spiriticon

Opt outs aren't special agreements, they are treaty based and unilaterally there are no negotiations about them. And again the EU isn't a foreign entity, the UK are the EU, this is the issue with some british they still don't understand that they are the EU.
Yes but the more stuff you opt-out from, the less aligned you are with the EU surely? And the UK opts out of quite a lot. That brings problems during negotiations for continued membership.

Aboutreika18

It's actually bizarre how the Irish border/backstop was the main focus for a good while a couple of months back and has barely been mentioned since.

Do people think that just ignoring the problem will make it go away?

JPRouve

Scout
Yes but the more stuff you opt-out from, the less aligned you are with the EU surely? And the UK opts out of quite a lot. That brings problems during negotiations for continued membership.
There are no negotiations for continued membership, that's not a thing. The opt outs aren't fundamental, they don't really affect much, so no there are no alignment issues.

Rooney24

Whoever voted for Brexit knew that the GFA would be at risk and those who insist on a no deal Brexit including those who voted against removing a no deal Brexit off the table simply do not care about the GFA at all. The same can be said about those who are voting against the WA which seem to be one of the very few viable ways for the UK to leave the EU in an orderly manner and in total respect of the GFA.
Well not quite. And this is one of the biggest problems, people voted totally ignorant of the complexities of it. so really they didnt know it would be at risk cos it was never put at the forefront of things. The GFA was an afterthought in all this. I dont recall anyone mentioning it, or the difficulties around it that Brexit would pose pre-referendum.

The light only came on well down the line after the referendum.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Of course it's a damn thing. It's what started this shitstorm to begin with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_United_Kingdom_renegotiation_of_European_Union_membership
Mate, that renegotiation was instigated and sought by the UK itself in addition to its already continuing membersip. If the UK had failed in those negotiations it would have failed to change the terms of its membership but would in no way have undermined membership itself - which is not up for negotiation.

devilish

Well not quite. And this is one of the biggest problems, people voted totally ignorant of the complexities of it. so really they didnt know it would be at risk cos it was never put at the forefront of things. The GFA was an afterthought in all this. I dont recall anyone mentioning it, or the difficulties around it that Brexit would pose pre-referendum.

The light only came on well down the line after the referendum.

If they weren't then they were ignorant and they shouldn't have had any business coming anywhere close to the voting poll. I knew about it and I wasn't British. Having said that, while ignorance might sort of justify then Brexit vote it certainly do not justify the clowns in parliament who keep insisting on a no deal brexit or against the withdrawal agreement/second referendum. That also include the Northern Irish who still stick to the DUP.

I don't mind an extension to article 50 past the 12th April IF the UK was willing to give some sort of direction to were things are going. But that's not the case. They keep saying No to everything from a second vote to the Withdrawal agreement. Thus I don't think its fair that the entire continent has to wait for these un elected bureaucrats (ie none of us in the continent had voted for) to decide our fate.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
So what actually happens now? I mean there's not support for anything.

diarm

I see @devilish is still going strong with his anti-British rhetoric, on a website for Manchester United supporters.
I don't agree with everything he's saying but I don't see how he's "going strong with anti-British rhetoric" just for giving his opinion on how the EU should respond to Britains behaviour during this ordeal. Nothing he has said about the way in which Britain have conducted their business is untrue.

I'm also not sure of the relevance of the second part of your sentence? 99% of Manchester United supporters are from outside Britain and I'd imagine, the majority of members on this website follow suit.

Brexit discussion, opinion and impact is not a British only affair. If it was, we'd have left you adrift to it years ago.

Smores

If they weren't then they were ignorant and they shouldn't have had any business coming anywhere close to the voting poll. I knew about it and I wasn't British. Having said that, while ignorance might sort of justify then Brexit vote it certainly do not justify the clowns in parliament who keep insisting on a no deal brexit or against the withdrawal agreement/second referendum. That also include the Northern Irish who still stick to the DUP.

I don't mind an extension to article 50 past the 12th April IF the UK was willing to give some sort of direction to were things are going. But that's not the case. They keep saying No to everything from a second vote to the Withdrawal agreement. Thus I don't think its fair that the entire continent has to wait for these un elected bureaucrats none of us in the continent had voted for.
It was barely mentioned as part of the leave debates as they pushed we'd get a deal and without knowing what that deal was no one could argue much further.

Let's not forget the likes of Farage sold this whole thing on some pie in the sky and leaned towards the Norway model. Only now do they pretend it was always no deal.

Rooney24

I don't mind an extension to article 50 past the 12th April IF the UK was willing to give some sort of direction to were things are going. But that's not the case. They keep saying No to everything from a second vote to the Withdrawal agreement. Thus I don't think its fair that the entire continent has to wait for these un elected bureaucrats (ie none of us in the continent had voted for) to decide our fate.
I agree. In my opinion another extension shouldnt be granted. It really is time to just end this once and for all.

In reality though I dont see it happening. While the EU probably arent in favour per se of another extension I can see them granting one but a very long one this time and probably for the simple reason that it would give space for a full and proper discussion in the UK to determine if this is truly what they want.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The current default position is No Deal on April 12th so that's currently where we're heading.
Oh yes, that's right. I remember the conditional extensions now. Well, good luck with that. :wenger:

devilish

I agree. In my opinion another extension shouldnt be granted. It really is time to just end this once and for all.

In reality though I dont see it happening. While the EU probably arent in favour per se of another extension I can see them granting one but a very long one this time and probably for the simple reason that it would give space for a full and proper discussion in the UK to determine if this is truly what they want.
This is what I wouldn't like to see happening. I don't mind giving the UK a sort of temporary EEA deal which would safeguard the GFA just the same. However the VETO and any influence the UK has within the EU parliament must go at this point in time.

JPRouve

Scout

My initial idea of 2027 doesn't sound that crazy anymore. I thought that the UK and the EU needed to make the all thing as painless as possible and that the best way to do it was to set the No Deal deadline after the next EU budget period by 2027 everyone will know where it stands and how to move forward.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
My initial idea of 2027 doesn't sound that crazy anymore. I thought that the UK and the EU needed to make the all thing as painless as possible and that the best way to do it was to set the No Deal deadline after the next EU budget period by 2027 everyone will know where it stands and how to move forward.
And all the people who voted to leave will be dead by then anyway so I'm all for it.

Rooney24

Its a fair point. But imagine the reaction in the UK if this became a possibilty? :lol:

Smores

The idea of a 2 year hard end date was always a foolish one. They should have it rolling and if they need to put a stop to it to protect EU interests then a 12 month notification timeframe.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Oh yes, that's right. I remember the conditional extensions now. Well, good luck with that. :wenger:
I currently reside in Canada and plan to get permanent residence so hopefully I'll be ok.

JPRouve

Scout
Its a fair point. But imagine the reaction in the UK if this became a possibilty? :lol:
That's the main problem, a sensible brexit is a political suicide which kind of shows why the referendum was a bad idea.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford

Picture circulating my work on the railway
I'd bet a lot of money that there'll be another Jo Cox style murder if we somehow remain. There's some genuinely psychotic feeling on the leave side.

Reiver

There's definitely something in the fact that nobody worries about upsetting Remain voters compared to Leave voters. If the positions were reversed would there be as much worry about civil unrest?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't understand May's obsession with her deal. She wants a vote so her deal could be voted on again, which surely won't pass again. What's the definition of insanity again?