g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That ‘Still M.A.Y’ featuring Snoop Mogg video is still the best thing to come out of this whole debacle.

Kaos

The only possible positive to come out of all this mess (and I’m really clutching here) is it hopefully further brings to light what utter, self-serving charlatan scumbags the Tories are. Gambling the country’s future, prosperity and unity just so they laminate their LinkedIn profiles. As strong and stable as a feckin paper mache nuclear tripod.

Sweet Square

I don't think it's a good idea to keep dragging this problem any longer.
The alternative is a possible return to the troubles. Okay your not Irish so you don't give a shit but for people who do, a return to violence in Ireland(Not to forget there will be a increased chance of bombing happening in England)is a lot worse that EU diplomats have to engage with British politicians.

It's unfair on the entire continent.
Again Ireland is a member state

Also how ? Granted I can't speak for the whole of Europe but I don't anyone gives a shit. There was a poll not to long ago that showed 20% of people in France thought Brexit had already happened. Plus we are only at the 1st step of negations, Brexit will be going for a very long time.

There again I respect Irelands decision to leave the EU if it feels that the GFA is more important then EU membership
This is just stupid.

Last edited:

spiriticon

On another point of note, if we vote to Remain, how can we be sure that we will have the exact same relationship as before and the EU won't try to fleece us in the coming years?

It would be absolutely ridiculous if they asked more money/territory from us and we 'pretended to leave' yet again.

We are really in an awful political situation thanks to the no-hopers in Parliament.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
On another point of note, if we vote to Remain, how can we be sure that we will have the exact same relationship as before and the EU won't try to fleece us in the coming years?

It would be absolutely ridiculous if they asked more money/territory from us and we 'pretended to leave' yet again.

We are really in an awful political situation thanks to the no-hopers in Parliament.
Personally I blame the lying scum that duped people into believing a fairy tale Brexit.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

Because the EU have already stated that a revocation of Article 50 will allow for a unilateral return to the UK’s relationship with the EU pre-Article 50 invocation.

Edit: what territory have we given up for the EU?

Smores

Because that was legally confirmed over a year ago, revoking A50 will put us back on the same terms.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

It's been determined that revoking Article 50 comes with no strings attached - that the UK is guaranteed by law to maintain the exact legal, economic and political relationship it had before. Since any future changes would have to be agreed to and ratified by the UK it's fair to presume that fleecing would be off the table.

Smores

Raab's latest statement is claiming now is the time for realism and pragmatism so we should go back to the EU and ask them to change the backstop.

Man is a grade A idiot :lol:

spiriticon

Because that was legally confirmed over a year ago, revoking A50 will put us back on the same terms.
Is that a forever thing, or is it just for a few months? Do these legal assurances have a long timeframe to them?

Can we be sure the EU won't try anything funny in the next set of negotiations for continuing membership?

Because we sure as hell can't play the 'leave' card again in a few years. That would be internationally embarrassing, as if the whole thing wasn't already bad enough

That'sHernandez

Raab's latest statement is claiming now is the time for realism and pragmatism so we should go back to the EU and ask them to change the backstop.

Man is a grade A idiot :lol:
‘Hold on... we’re a fecking island!’

That'sHernandez

Is that a forever thing, or is it just for a few months? Do these legal assurances have a long timeframe to them?

Can we be sure the EU won't try anything funny in the next set of negotiations for continuing membership?

Because we sure as hell can't play the 'leave' card again in a few years. That would be internationally embarrassing, as if the whole thing wasn't already bad enough
It’s for as long as we remain in the EU and have a right to our veto.

MadMike

Well apart from the fact there's a legal framework that covers these things, I have to ask; Where does the suspicion come from? When did the EU feck us over or treat us like enemies that makes you think they'll do it now? Where does this deep rooted suspsicion come from?

That'sHernandez

Well apart from the fact there's a legal framework that covers these things, I have to ask; Where does the suspicion come from? When did the EU feck us over or treat us like enemies that makes you think they'll do it now? Where does this deep rooted suspsicion come from?
20-30 years of the British press making things up about the EU.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Dont give up, maybe by Monday some consensus will form. Listening to the Brexitcast it sounds like the Indicative votes were always expected to be a process not a one shot kill (so to speak).

Its the hope that hurts the most!
It is. Could not have put it better myself. Keep hoping eh.

Smores

Leadsom is supposed to represent the house as well as the government but yet again we have her playing silly bollocks and refusing to answer simple questions she clearly knows the answer to.

If it's pending discussions just tell the house that rather than this deceit. Heck the country deserves to know never mind the house.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'Tomorrow’s vote will not be the third meaningful vote, Downing Street sources are saying. But they have not commented on suggestions that it might be a vote on the withdrawal agreement on its own.'

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
So what about a resolution combining Clarke's customs union and a confirmatory vote? Might snare the snp, lib dems and independent group.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Well I was obviously wrong to have hoped that the indicative vote process might get to a solution. To say that I am angry as well as disappointed is an understatement.

To be fair you have always said that there is no solution save for either revocation of A50 or leaving with no deal which isn't a solution.

I have also been against a second referendum and still am.
Our only real option is for MP'S to vote for the WA and then attempt to mitigate the Backstop issue during the future relationship negotiations.

If this carries on I think I will become a monk.
Even before the list of amendments were listed I couldn't see parliament agreeing on anything.
When I saw the list any hope was dashed totally.

So the farce still carries on and maybe the top three will be voted on again on Monday.
I wish people would think things through because they've had three years to do so.

1. A/The Customs Union, firstly is so vague and secondly doesn't solve by itself any problems. In fact it creates even more.
2. Confirmatory vote - which is confirmation of May's deal or not - possibly if stretched could end up with referendum - but then only Remain solves the problem.
3. Corbyn's unicorns - rejected three times and not even worth considering as is impossible.

Other than that we have May's deal confirmed in parliament or no deal or sensibly cancel the whole charade.

That's it.

And at the end of it May could leave and some other idiot will replace her.

Depressing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This government is completely untrustworthy. Even at this stage, they're considering chicanery that would likely be deemed illegal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't think it's a good idea to keep dragging this problem forever. It's unfair on an entire continent that deserves to move on rather then keep being linked to the hip with an unreliable partner who secretly wants the EU to collapse

I also believe that once reality start biting the spirit of Dunkirk will kick in and the UK will be rowing back to safety (in the EU) Which means a no deal Brexit will be short lived

There again I respect Irelands decision to leave the EU if it feels that the GFA is more important then EU membership
The notion that Ireland would have to choose between being in the EU and the GFA is nonsense of such a high order that even most Brexiters don't try to put it forward as an argument. There is zero chance that happens, as well as zero reason why it should.

spiriticon

If the legal framework has a long timeframe, then revocation might not be so bad.

Let's face it, politics is all about concessions. The EU wants more from us, we want more back from them. It's normal. Our issue is that we do not fully align with the EU rules as France, Germany do. We have a 'special agreement' with them and AFAIK it was getting difficult to maintain the same terms during negotiations, hence it lead to Cameron playing the referendum card in 2016

The EU might back down for now, but we need legal assurances they won't push us for more long into the future because we really can't do this again. This fiasco is just embarrassing.

Siorac

If the legal framework has a long timeframe, then revocation might not be so bad.

Let's face it, politics is all about concessions. The EU wants more from us, we want more back from them. It's normal. Our issue is that we do not fully align with the EU rules as France, Germany do. We have a 'special agreement' with them and AFAIK it was getting difficult to maintain the same terms during negotiations, hence it lead to Cameron playing the referendum card in 2016

The EU might back down for now, but we need legal assurances they won't push us for more long into the future because we really can't do this again. This fiasco is just embarrassing.
The EU has nothing to back down from. The UK isn't being pushed out: it wants out. The EU has made it clear that the UK can revoke A50 at any time and stay. There would be no negotiations, nothing.

And your 'long term legal framework' is called the Treaty of Lisbon. It is all there.

That'sHernandez

Hungary will soon put in a claim for East Anglia, on the basis that in Hungarian, England is called 'Anglia'.
It's a Saxon word anyway, isn't it?

Well Gibraltar for one. It's still British for now but you can very clearly see that the Spain are really gritting their teeth there.
As far as I'm aware we haven't given Gibraltar to Spain and were we to remain in the EU, the EU would keep itself out of that dispute as it would be a neutral party. Were the UK to leave the EU, the EU would of course take the EU member's side, as you would expect if it were Spain the one threatening to leave the EU instead.

Instead of prophecy, shall we talk about facts? What British territories does the EU expect the UK give up?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Who the EU is supposed to be in your scenario? Because for the rest of us, if you are a member states of the EU, you are the EU.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

You seem to be making the same mistake a lot of folk do - that the EU is some monolithic structure with which we negotiate but to which we do not belong. It's simply not the case - rather the EU is the result of negotiations between equal (and unequal) partners and the mechanism through which further negotiations between these partners take place. We are a powerful member of the EU.

The relationship you are describing is the one we will have post departure (and as demonstrated right now during negotiations to depart).

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

Yep, poor old Britain being asked for territory...that'd be a fucking travesty, wouldn't it.

spiriticon

It's a Saxon word anyway, isn't it?

As far as I'm aware we haven't given Gibraltar to Spain and were we to remain in the EU, the EU would keep itself out of that dispute as it would be a neutral party. Were the UK to leave the EU, the EU would of course take the EU member's side, as you would expect if it were Spain the one threatening to leave the EU instead.

Instead of prophecy, shall we talk about facts? What British territories does the EU expect the UK give up?
OK, no prophecy then none. But as long as they keep that up and respect that, I'm good. If I can be assured it wouldn't get any worse, I have no complaints.

Who the EU is supposed to be in your scenario? Because for the rest of us, if you are a member states of the EU, you are the EU.
In theory yes, but I always feel this 'special agreement' keeps things a bit frosty during negotiations.

Actually, I have always personally felt that if we really must remain we should probably join the Euro and fully align our laws with EU etc etc. I have never been a fan of this 'some parts in, some parts out' kind of relationship that we have had for the last many years.

This 'special agreement' creates a public perception (on both sides) that the UK thinks it is better not being part of the EU. This is not helpful and goes partly to answering the reason why there is a deep rooted suspicion of the EU from the British public.

But that's a different argument for another time.

Last edited: