g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Slept off before the results came in. We are a disgrace. The arguments against a second vote are dying everyday and I'm not even completely sure it's the way to go.

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

Sometimes things just have to be done to prevent setting precedents.

Today you might be happy that they are overthrowing democracy in favour of Remain.

Tomorrow it may be another issue you voted in favour of but the government just plain straight up ignored you.
The reality is that the first referendum was so badly setup it hardly represented democracy.

1) Because no one was clear on what leave meant. The leave campaign said it would be the easiest deal ever, no downsides. That isn't true.

2) Because in order for changes to be made there should have been a requirement of CLEAR majority. At least 60%. 52% vs 48% is too close to make significant changes especially when point (1) is taken into account.

Ultimately the referendum was badly conceived by Cameron and his party, with no real plans for leaving made, or shared with the public to enable an informed vote. If people think that is democracy the we really are screwed.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The reality is that the first referendum was so badly setup it hardly represented democracy.

1) Because no one was clear on what leave meant. The leave campaign said it would be the easiest deal ever, no downsides. That isn't true.

2) Because in order for changes to be made there should have been a requirement of CLEAR majority. At least 60%. 52% vs 48% is too close to make significant changes especially when point (1) is taken into account.

Ultimately the referendum was badly conceived by Cameron and his party, with no real plans for leaving made, or shared with the public to enable an informed vote. If people think that is democracy the we really are screwed.
And basically was not binding what made a lot of people NOT CARE

EwanI Ted

What a total mess. Structurally, we’ve come to the limits of what our Parliamentary setup can handle. Worse, this might not even end with Brexit. If this realignment of voting patterns sticks around after Brexit it could be years before either party is able to get a clear majority again. Our system simply isn’t designed for that. We’ll face deadlock on countless major issues.

I’m up for radical reform of the whole thing. But that’s not in the interest of the two big parties who will do what they can to maintain the current system, which maximises their chances of success. They’ll just keep pointing fingers at the other lot.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What a total mess. Structurally, we’ve come to the limits of what our Parliamentary setup can handle. Worse, this might not even end with Brexit. If this realignment of voting patterns sticks around after Brexit it could be years before either party is able to get a clear majority again. Our system simply isn’t designed for that. We’ll face deadlock on countless major issues.

I’m up for radical reform of the whole thing. But that’s not in the interest of the two big parties who will do what they can to maintain the current system, which maximises their chances of success. They’ll just keep pointing fingers at the other lot.
This! I think it was wrong that parties tried to whip the votes for the alternatives, clearly it was never going to give us any kind of result on that basis, this is an issue that has broken standard party politics. A GE with proportional representation voting is the only way I can see to bring any kind of belief back to parliament and stop hung/minority govts that could plague us for years

Rooney24

Can that fecker Mogg not make his own mind up? Now he says he will vote whatever way the DUP do or he will back the deal if they abstain.

He either believes it is a good/bad deal or he doesnt.

What an absolute parasite.

Drifter

American
"Let's remind ourselves on what we have decided to do". "Nothing"!!!. That sums up this shower.

Smores

People still seem to be bemused and angry but yesterday's votes were a success. They show a clear route forward.

You have to remember that MPs were voting to whittle down the options so the likes of the SNP or TIG didn't vote custom union because they didn't want it as an option for Monday if avoided. The same will be true of some who didn't vote confirmatory vote. The 'aye' and 'nay' format was just that parliamentary voting format.

If we don't have a majority on Monday then we're fecked but last night results shouldn't cause panic.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I hope the EU won't extend past April. Us Europeans shouldn't be dragged in this UK made farce any longer

GloryHunter07

Perhaps she'll roll the dice on MV3 with the WA and Beckett's Confirmatory Ballot on the same ticket.

Addition of a public vote substantially alters the motion, thereby circumventing Bercow, and it (together with her promise to quit) might also be enough encouragement to get it through the House.
ERG would throw a hissy fit and we would be back to square one.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Never heard of Peter Frankopan before but he's very insightful on the subject here

devilish

I'm talking about the border between the north and the south ?
We aren't the ones who voted for a change in the agreement already in place. Surely we can't keep carrying the Brits until they make their minds up or drag us into the chaos they are already in

If Ireland wants that then they might consider leaving the EU as well and keep haggling with them forever

Last edited:

Maticmaker

That was very shit indeed.
What about the passing of the controversial Industrial Relations Act 1971.?
I went on the 'kill the bill march' but just like the one at weekend, it did no good 'Black Jack' Donaldson QC was appointed.
The 'will of the people' has never been carried out in the UK and won't be this time... if it is it will be the first time!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'm sure parliament is very popular with Brexiters at the moment. They have control but don't know what to do with it.
Well I was obviously wrong to have hoped that the indicative vote process might get to a solution. To say that I am angry as well as disappointed is an understatement.

To be fair you have always said that there is no solution save for either revocation of A50 or leaving with no deal which isn't a solution.

I have also been against a second referendum and still am.
Our only real option is for MP'S to vote for the WA and then attempt to mitigate the Backstop issue during the future relationship negotiations.

If this carries on I think I will become a monk.

Maticmaker

Well I was obviously wrong to have hoped that the indicative vote process might get to a solution. To say that I am angry as well as disappointed is an understatement.

To be fair you have always said that there is no solution save for either revocation of A50 or leaving with no deal which isn't a solution.

Our only real option is for MP'S to vote for the WA and then attempt to mitigate the Backstop issue during the future relationship negotiations.

True, IMO from the moment that A50 was accepted, there was only two options Revoke A50 and remain, or Leave with no deal, both are solutions, neither preferable to large swathes of the population, but in a binary situation its inevitable as the MPs have just proved.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What about the passing of the controversial Industrial Relations Act 1971.?
I went on the 'kill the bill march' but just like the one at weekend, it did no good 'Black Jack' Donaldson QC was appointed.
The 'will of the people' has never been carried out in the UK and won't be this time... if it is it will be the first time!
No quite old enough to.remember that one well. I was 10 when we had the 3 day week which I.do remember well.

Maticmaker

No quite old enough to.remember that one well. I was 10 when we had the 3 day week which I.do remember well.
You're still just a kid then ;) wet behind the ears!

Wait until you can relate all this nonsense to your grandchildren, "I was there" will have a whole new meaning... eyes back on Westminster now for next instalment of "Magic roundabout"

Sweet Square

We aren't the ones who voted for a change in the agreement already in place. Surely we can't keep carrying the Brits until they make their minds up or drag us into the chaos they are already in

If Ireland wants that then they might consider leaving the EU as well and keep haggling with them forever
We aren't talking about how to parent a spoiled child - insert Westminster joke here -. Anyone with a tiny bit of history knows a border between the south and north of Ireland would be incredibly dangerous and would lead to violence. Just because Brexit is stupid doesn't mean you should force a border on one of your member states.

Nah.

GloryHunter07

Dont give up, maybe by Monday some consensus will form. Listening to the Brexitcast it sounds like the Indicative votes were always expected to be a process not a one shot kill (so to speak).

Its the hope that hurts the most!

devilish

We aren't talking about how to parent a spoiled child - insert Westminster joke here -. Anyone with a tiny bit of history knows a border between the south and north of Ireland would be incredibly dangerous and would lead to violence. Just because Brexit is stupid doesn't mean you should force a border on one of your member states.

Nah.
The UK decided to leave the EU not viceversa. It tried to negotiate a deal which respected the UK multiple red lines and the GFA to no avail. At one point (and pretty soon) this problem must be solved as we can't allow the continent to be dragged by this problem forever. Now either the UK cancels Brexit or it accepts the WA or it goes to a no deal Brexit. It only takes 1 EU country to vote against yet another extension and patience is running thin.

Sweet Square

The UK decided to leave the EU not viceversa. It tried to negotiate a deal which respected the UK multiple red lines and the GFA to no avail. At one point (and pretty soon) this problem must be solved as we can't allow the continent to be dragged by this problem forever. Now either the UK cancels Brexit or it accepts the WA or it goes to a no deal Brexit. It only takes 1 EU country to vote against yet another extension and patience is running thin.
You've just described what is happening, not why you think its a good idea.

Your original post

I hope the EU won't extend past April. Us Europeans shouldn't be dragged in this UK made farce any longer

devilish

You've just described what is happening, not why you think its a good idea.

Your original post
I don't think it's a good idea to keep dragging this problem forever. It's unfair on an entire continent that deserves to move on rather then keep being linked to the hip with an unreliable partner who secretly wants the EU to collapse

I also believe that once reality start biting the spirit of Dunkirk will kick in and the UK will be rowing back to safety (in the EU) Which means a no deal Brexit will be short lived

There again I respect Irelands decision to leave the EU if it feels that the GFA is more important then EU membership

Last edited:

Infra-red

Dont give up, maybe by Monday some consensus will form. Listening to the Brexitcast it sounds like the Indicative votes were always expected to be a process not a one shot kill (so to speak).
If they have any sense, they will coalesce around a customs union (possibly with a confirmatory referendum).

Do they actually have any sense, though?