Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Untied

Well yeah a referendum based on 3 choices is weirdly unheard of. So agree there it would be quite unique. I was arguing more along the third option to say that revisiting Brexit as a whole isn’t completely out of the question, even if democracy and all that had its say.
It should have been a multi-stage referendum*, like New Zealand did for their fecking flag, but we didn't do for the fundamental direction the country takes.

[*So the first stage lists a number of Brexit options and the public votes for their preferred one, Remain isn't listed at this stage. The second stage pits the winning option vs remain]

Adebesi

This won't go down well with hard Brexiteers
That's the thing, it doesnt seem to be going down as badly as it should. Im sure the reaction is just a bit delayed, Im sure there is a WhatsApp Brexit group somewhere that is pinging furiously right now as MPs plot their resistance. But if you look at the newspapers, it seems like they are pretending this is something other than total capitulation. Im finding it a bit disconcerting to be honest.

Untied

That's the thing, it doesnt seem to be going down as badly as it should. Im sure the reaction is just a bit delayed, Im sure there is a WhatsApp Brexit group somewhere that is pinging furiously right now as MPs plot their resistance. But if you look at the newspapers, it seems like they are pretending this is something other than total capitulation. Im finding it a bit disconcerting to be honest.
Yeah it is weird. The Sun currently going with "hard won" and the Mail with "breakthrough", which is just pro-May propaganda.

Drifter

American
Farage as called it pathetic at least .Most papers are just relieved that some progress as been made .When it get's digested then you will see the anger from hardliners

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Lol, what a farce/scam/ruse. Pick as you like.

A grand exercise in posturing, just so that clown Farage can have his moment of glory will lead to a permanent loss of influence and economic opporunity with no significant change in the status quo.

Smores

Yeah it is weird. The Sun currently going with "hard won" and the Mail with "breakthrough", which is just pro-May propaganda.
The focus is just on moving forward rather than context or quality. You have to wonder if they purposefully left it til the deadline so they could proclaim a victory.

They'll soon change the narrative at the end of the day the papers as always play to their readership. Most of them don't understand the implications of Brexit and explaining it would be a little too difficult

C3Pique

Any hardliners causing disruption now aren't going to win any public favour by destabilising things at this stage. I'd imagine most sane people are relieved to see progress towards a deal which doesn't destroy the economy.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Any hardliners causing disruption now aren't going to win any public favour by destabilising things at this stage. I'd imagine most sane people are relieved to see progress towards a deal which doesn't destroy the economy.
Yep this is still a shitshow though, essentially will be worse off then we were before. It's very much better than a hard Brexit but the politicians who ran on Brexit have put us in a terrible situation.

C3Pique

The focus is just on moving forward rather than context or quality. You have to wonder if they purposefully left it til the deadline so they could proclaim a victory.

They'll soon change the narrative at the end of the day the papers as always play to their readership. Most of them don't understand the implications of Brexit and explaining it would be a little too difficult
The headline is all that matters. The reading age of the Sun readership averages at 8 years old - and I'm not making that up.

C3Pique

Yep this is still a shitshow though, essentially will be worse off then we were before. It's very much better than a hard Brexit but the politicians who ran on Brexit have put us in a terrible situation.
I just hope there is a clause hidden somewhere in Phase 2 that enables the UK to reenter at the previous terms once the old guard of Little Englanders have died off. :drool:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
So - we can all live, work and study in Europe, and Europeans can do the same here - that's great. However, this no-change-at-all is costing us billions of pounds and we won't have representation in the European Parliament.

All those who voted "leave" because they wanted the Bulgarians to go home will be disappointed.

C3Pique

So - we can all live, work and study in Europe, and Europeans can do the same here - that's great. However, this no-change-at-all is costing us billions of pounds and we won't have representation in the European Parliament.

All those who voted "leave" because they wanted the Bulgarians to go home will be disappointed.
They were always going to be.

Classical Mechanic

Is that the bottom line?

Adebesi

Those who voted to take back control will surely be disappointed that we have actually given up a significant amount of control, for no discernible benefit. If these Brussels bureaucrats decide to legislate how curved a banana has to be to meet single market standards, or what flavour crisps we're allowed to have, there will be no UK voice at the table to argue against it. But we'll still have to go along with it.

Rajma

Also, it says transition will last the minimum of two years throughout this term UK obliges to adhere to all the EU laws by staying in the single market and CU, but being outside of the table.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So - we can all live, work and study in Europe, and Europeans can do the same here - that's great.
I don't think they've gone that far, it appears its just citizens currently living in the UK/EU (or up until the exit date) with exceptions made for family members joining later.

It's an interesting trap May has laid for the eurosceptics, they must be furious right now, but if they rebel then they'll almost certainly destroy the government and force an election. That's basically handing power to Labour and then they'll probably end up with even less than they have now. It'll be interesting to see whether they still retain enough sense to keep their mouths shut or whether the eurosceptic extremism that has divided the party for decades will prove too strong for them to resist.

Adebesi

I don't think they've gone that far, it appears its just citizens currently living in the UK/EU (or up until the exit date) with exceptions made for family members joining later.

It's an interesting trap May has laid for the eurosceptics, they must be furious right now, but if they rebel then they'll almost certainly destroy the government and force an election. That's basically handing power to Labour and then they'll probably end up with even less than they have now. It'll be interesting to see whether they still retain enough sense to keep their mouths shut or whether the eurosceptic extremism that has divided the party for decades will prove too strong for them to resist.
The eurosceptics might feel their cause would be in better hands with Corbyn and McDonnell, they have been anti-EU for a lot longer than May has.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is that the bottom line?
If I'm not mistaken, it's only for the ones that are already in the UK or on the continent. For the rest, it will depend on the deal, even though the lack of Irish border will almost inevitably lead to a full single market adhesion and therefore all freedoms will be enforced.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken all EEA/EFTA members are also Schengen members. I wonder if the current members are willing to offer an exemption if the UK were to join them.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

FlawlessThaw

By the way, if I'm not mistaken all EEA/EFTA members are also Schengen members. I wonder if the current members are willing to offer an exemption if the UK were to join them.
Probably will be acceptable given not all EU members are part of Schengen. It's also in the EU's best interest for a soft Brexit as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Probably will be acceptable given not all EU members are part of Schengen. It's also in the EU's best interest for a soft Brexit as well.
It's not about the EU though, the question is whether Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein are fine with it.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The eurosceptics might feel their cause would be in better hands with Corbyn and McDonnell, they have been anti-EU for a lot longer than May has.
It'd be a foolish risk. Labour voters split about 2/3 in favour of remain. Any Labour leader who tried to push for hard Brexit would be basically shooting themselves in the face.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It should have been a multi-stage referendum*, like New Zealand did for their fecking flag, but we didn't do for the fundamental direction the country takes.

[*So the first stage lists a number of Brexit options and the public votes for their preferred one, Remain isn't listed at this stage. The second stage pits the winning option vs remain]
The fact that such an enormously complex and heavily nuanced topic was dumbed down to a simple one line question with one word responses was so unimaginably stupid it really beggars belief.

That's without getting into the fact that it should never have gone to a referendum at all because there's no way the population is sufficiently informed to make such a decision.

FlawlessThaw

It's not about the EU though, the question is whether Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein are fine with it.
I guess only they know, Schengen is not a presumption of EFTA as far as I am aware. In any case this is a particular special scenario, so no idea what kind of deal we will end up with.

saivet

What is the point of brexit to have a soft brexit? Seems like a lot of hassle for no real change apart from some feeling like they've won. Better than a hard one though, so guess I can at least be happy with that.

For the opposite way around, why would Switzerland change from their arrangement to being a member of the EU?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What is the point of brexit to have a soft brexit? Seems like a lot of hassle for no real change apart from some feeling like they've won. Better than a hard one though, so guess I can at least be happy with that.
There is no point. You will have all the rules you had before, pay in money, only now they have no seats on the council and will not receive funding in return.

It's unbelievably stupid but still less stupid than a hard Brexit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I'd laugh if it wasn't so damn pathetic.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It’s easy for Farage to just sit on the sidelines criticising everything. His rhetoric led the country to a vote which should never have happened and has likely cost the country Billions.

vodrake

Does "Full alignment" with the Internal Market and Customs Union also mean keeping Freedom of Movement?

So basically very little would change?