Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minimalist

So am I right in thinking that the people of Britain made probably the biggest decision of their lives without any plan or any thought of the consequences?
Yeah but sure, they 'got their country back'. Will lose a feck load of jobs but it's back.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
that's the problem. people have a right to feel aggrieved. some areas have been shockingly under funded. some have been ignored. some have had no voice. why choose this referendum to protest that though? there was a general election before where they could have actually made a difference and voted for change.
There is a county in Ireland that always vote against the government in referendums because they feel isolated and ignored up in the far north west. When the gay marriage referendum was on I heard a lot of local folk on the radio saying they always vote against the governement (regardless of which party it was) and would be voting against gay marriage because of this. I had never known that such levels of stupid existed.

In the end the yes vote won the majority of the vote in the county but the fact that some of the people couldn't seperate the question asked from a hatred for the government was astounding to listen to

Smores

If the EU wants to survive mid to long term then surely leaving it must have severe negative consequences for England?! Otherwise the remaining nations would contemplate leaving at every little roadblock, especially if the coincide with upcoming elections since it's a great topic to play on people's fears and prejudices.
The EU isn't a single body though, the commission who by all accounts hold themselves above the will of the people may have this viewpoint.

It'll depend on the influence of the member states in Parliament and how much they value the EU above the economic damage. Sadly I think you'll see anti-EU sentiment increase across the continent either way

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Thought it was notable yesterday that after Juncker told the UK to get on with it, the journos assembled from the various other EU countries applauded it. They aren't in the mood for kindness, certainly.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
What's it got to do with him he isn't even in Government?
There's some talk he might get a Lordship.

Regardless he was an active Leave campaigner, the fact that there wasn't a plan before is worth pointing out.

Last edited:

Dobba

I really don't know what she can say that will make things better. Her kingdom is disappearing, Scotland is definitely gone, Ireland is only going to get worse, Gibraltar overwhelmingly wants to remain EU.
What's she supposed to say?
If you believe the royalists' comments, usually any time a referendum on the monarchy is even slightly mentioned, the royals have enormous support across the country. So surely if anybody is going to bring Leavers/Remainers together again it's them or more specifically the Queen.

Wheel her out in her golden carriage, she can waffle on about how we should come together and then she go back to making charities pay £150 a head to watch her drive past them.

Sky News: Brexiteers' Opinions: Why They Voted Leave

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is why we're actually out. Not one good reason. Some may have genuinely good reasons and that's fine because that is what this should've been about, but this is the real reason why we're out.

And guess what, we're going to get an unelected leader aren't we? FFS.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The EU doesn't particularly like democracy, let alone local and national democracy. In total they dont have a lot of time for national states as a whole, their ideal scenario would be one united European superstate.

They would much rather that legislations and choices are made by one of their four gazillion not democratically elected faceless bureacrats. And then being forced upon the member states without said population or politicians in those states having any say in it.
Which action of the EU after the vote has suggested that? To put it very simply the UK is a person who sat with partners (EU members) in a room (EU), then decided to stand up and walk to the door to decide to leave the room or not (referendum), ultimatively deciding in opening the door and walking out (Brexit). All the parterns are doing now is saying"You wanna leave the room? Then get on with it". How is that not respecting the decision of the one leaving?

And for this always repeated bureaucrats argument. Here is a news flash: Every single administration of a democrative body or organistation has thousands of officials, who were not chosen by the public and are largely unkown to them. These people handle the day to day politics. They are put in place by people who were elected by the public aka the political leaders. The really big decisions are still made by the elected leaders and ultimatively made legally binding by a parliament consisting of people, who are again elected by the public.

Smores

Those from Brexit haven't a clue what to do next.Why they wrote a letter to Cameron asking him to continue.
Not of them are in power anyway though. It's why I thought Cameron was a coward to walk so soon, it was either a calculated move to delay or a selfish move putting his own interests first

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I see the good in people.
It's a dog eats dog out there and people don't like deserters especially those who push their economy to another recession. The eu people had been called all sort of things and they had been blamed for everything. No one will treat the British with kiddies gloves now

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
That's fair enough. I don't mind difference of views, as long as your consistent. So if you're not a fan of EU because they're not elected in the way you like then you should not be a fan of the HoL, The Queen and the fact that our media organisations are owned by a few.
I'm not indeed. But in case of democracy it's not as much about perfection, it's about the direction it is heading in and the EU is undemocratic by design, it's not an accident or mistake, or that it's flaws are inhereted from a long gone past in non democratic times, and as is gets more powerful this means power is taken away from the people of the member states.

What's also very concerning regarding democracy is that the EU side of the referendum has difficulty accepting they lost. They are not just sore losers, some of them refuse to respect the outcome of the democratic process, they want to change the voting system, the percentage needed for one of the two options, they want to change the voters etc. And some of it goes beyond just frustration.

This is not the first time the EU has been on the losing end of a vote, they've lost a vote in France, twice in the Netherlands, but as Juncker says, we'll just go on. So the really surprising thing here is that the EU actually says it will respect the outcome of this vote, which must be a first. Normally elections without the desired result for the EU are just ignored, or there are held referenda until there's one of them with the desired outcome. I wonder if they can keep this up or there will be some attempt to correct another mistake of the voter who doesn't know what's good for him.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
This is essentially the same thing. This is what we have been saying for months. But only now you're concerned about it? This is exactly what we said would happen a week ago.
He is French. Not his problem.

Leave's Daniel Hannan: A lot of Remainers are now raging at me because I *don't* want to cut immigration sharply. There really is no pleasing some people.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not of them are in power anyway though. It's why I thought Cameron was a coward to walk so soon, it was either a calculated move to delay or a selfish move putting his own interests first
I disagree tbh Smores. He obviously didn't want to have anything to do with the shitstorm that our country is going to find itself in. I hate Scameron, but that's the one respectable thing he's done.

How can he lead the country effectively when he completely disagrees with the direction its heading?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The EU isn't a single body though, the commission who by all accounts hold themselves above the will of the people may have this viewpoint.

It'll depend on the influence of the member states in Parliament and how much they value the EU above the economic damage. Sadly I think you'll see anti-EU sentiment increase across the continent either way
Yeah, obviously the EU isn't a single minded entity, but I assume(d) that they all agree on stability as a goal, I mean we've all seen what happened to the markets when just Britain left. I don't even want to think about what would happen if the whole thing collapses because a couple of other states do the same. I assume the people who have to decide Britain's fate in regards to the EU will have a similar opinion otherwise the whole Union would probably have collapsed over Greece or the refugee crisis.

devilish

They made their bed and now they can sleep in it. He tried to lead but his same people turned against him

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I suspect there will be a large number of politicians from EU countries who have every intention of sticking two fingers up to the UK after this, and who will have no issues whatsoever with delivering slaps wherever possible. Not only have we just turned our backs on them, but Brexit is also likely to hurt the EU and by definition the countries that make up the EU. If France, Spain or Germany had just done something to hurt the UK economy, does anyone have any doubts our politicians would be happy to stick it to them wherever possible?

People seem to have some bizarre vision of the world where people from other countries have some secret love for the British. If you want to know how the Europeans are going to act on any Britain related matter, just swap the country names around and think abaout how YOU would react.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's a dog eats dog out there and people don't like deserters especially those who push theiron economy to another recession
But they can avoid all the trouble by just agreeing to pay for the access to the free market, I underestimated the fact that some people would take that as a punishment.

He is French. Not his problem.
Don't say that, I still want to see you prosper.

devilish

Yeah, obviously the EU isn't a single minded entity, but I assume(d) that they all agree on stability as a goal, I mean we've all seen what happened to the markets when just Britain left. I don't even want to think about what would happen if the whole thing collapses because a couple of other states do the same. I assume the people who have to decide Britain's fate in regards to the EU will have a similar opinion otherwise the whole Union would probably have collapsed over Greece or the refugee crisis.
The UK has just handled the pro EU politicians a scapegoat.

Fully Fledged

I think they are saying that you lied to your voters on every single issue.
You said this campaign was about controlling immigration but now you admit that you want to stay in the Common Market which will require freedom of movement. You said that £350 million a week would be given to the NHS and now it's been admitted that that was a mistake(downright lie).

devilish

But they can avoid all the trouble by just agreeing to pay for the access to the free market, I underestimated the fact that some people would take that as a punishment.
Norway pay for the access to the free market, they have to accept freedom of movement and they have no say on European proceedings. The UK will be lucky to get that. After all Norway hasn't screwed the Eu

Fully Fledged

Norway pay for the access to the free market, they have to accept freedom of movement and they have no say on European proceedings. The UK will be lucky to get that
I think that is what we will get. Of course we will pay a hell of a lot more than Norway does. Probably more than we do now.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think that is what we will get. Of course we will pay a hell of a lot more than Norway does. Probably more than we do now.
Yeah that's what will happen I reckon as well. There will also have to be a new boogeyman for people to blame their problems on as well.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Don't say that, I still want to see you prosper.
To be honest, not a single person from the continent I know wanted the Brexit to happen. This does hurt us too, not as much as the British but still. However, for the EU and especially my country their top priority is now the stability of the Union. If it takes watching another person screwing himself over and not stopping it, then so be it. I still feel sorry him, but also going down for his mistakes? No thanks.

devilish

Hence why I'm bloody furious. You could have been leaders in the EU. Now you will be reduced to mere spectators

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Hence why I'm bloody furious. You could have been leaders in the EU. Now you will be reduced to mere spectators
They'll screw us too as I imagine they'll be extremely stubborn to compromise with (who blames them tbf). So yeah. Great, I wonder where all this magical money is going to come from? Oh yes, taxes. Wonderful. Can't wait for all of our services to get fecked yet further.

But don't worry, we have that 350 million a day cash flow coming in.... right.... :wenger:

They'll screw us too as I imagine they'll be extremely stubborn to compromise with (who blames them tbf). So yeah. Great, I wonder where all this magical money is going to come from? Oh yes, taxes. Wonderful. Can't wait for all of our services to get fecked yet further.

But don't worry, we have that 350 million a day cash flow coming in.... right.... :wenger:
But you'll make your own laws & be back in control of Britain!! :p

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
An entity of 28 countries working together, creating & voting on laws together doesn't like democracy?

Ok......

I'd say The US is a great example of why it's often better to have other nations sharing in a vote on your common laws. Much more democratic in fact.
Yeah, it is real democratic - for the powerhouses that is. Germany and France always gets their will when it comes to EU matters, the small countries have no sway whatsoever. The whole union is tailored for Germanys big export industry and Frances big farming industry.

A common monetary policy that solves the problem Germany had with their currency and inflation going up, thus leaving their products more expensive for others to buy and import, which left them with problems.

A huge subsidiary solution for Frances enormous agricultural industry.

The difference in power that the individual nations in the EU has is why I find it funny when people lambast the Norwegian deal for not giving us influence on things within the EU, yeah, like we would have any say as a member :lol:

Dobba

No need for the £350m a day when the services crumble and get "saved" by private companies.