Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
To cherry pick a little, UK is fine if they agree an EEA deal, if not, pretty fecked.

Wow, groundbreaking.
Would they be fine though? Will the leavers be happy in having to accept free movement of people, they have to fork ridiculous money in the union and have no say on most of the matters?

Brexit Reaction from County Durham voters

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

They are upset because their government they elected neglect them so they leave the EU?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
And that's on the wholesale market, that's the rate banks pay. For people like you and me, trying to exchange with banks for holidays etc, we'll get a much worse rate.

Did I mention £1 is at €1.20? That's basically one to one in the retail market.
Yep, I've got 2 trips in Europe to make and holiday plans in America within the next 3 months, and they're all messed up :lol:

devilish

Did the leavers think they could go to the EU, shop around for the best possible deal and THEN decide if it's worth leaving or not, or try to pressure EU into giving them a much better deal for staying? "Hey, you better give us preferential treatment because we have a leave vote backing us up" ...

Unm, no. You voted leave, so just leave, and pay your tariffs with a smile. It's what the British people chose. They WANT to be more isolated. You've had full market access for decades and chose to pull out of it.

There's a saying that goes ... be careful what you wish for, because you might just get it.
of course they do. We're talking about Brittania, the one that rules the waves. Once GB will stamp its feet everyone within the EU will stop and listen

Cameron condemns racist attacks according to his official spokesperson

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The prime minister will set up a new team of civil servants inside the Cabinet Office, reporting to cabinet, to draw up options for Britain’s renegotiations with the rest of the EU, his spokesman has announced.

The unit, which will also include officials from the foreign office and the Treasury, will carry out preliminary work, which could be handed to an incoming prime minister when the Conservatives’ leadership race is complete.

“What the civil service is there to do is to make sure that we prepare, as much as the civil service can, for a new prime minister,” she said.

Cameron’s troubleshooter Oliver Letwin will also be given a new “facilitative role”, consulting across government and with experts about the options.
------------------------------------------------------

David Cameron condemned a spate of racists attacks since last week’s referendum, saying he would “not tolerate intolerance”, his official spokesperson has said.

Several MPs have reported that constituents have been harassed since the result of the vote emerged. But the spokeswoman said:

"This government will not tolerate intolerance. We are absolutely clear on the need to reassure communities across Britain. We are a tolerant nation; that existed long before we were members of the European Union, and we should hold fast to that."

Would they be fine though? Will the leavers be happy in having to accept free movement of people, they have to fork ridiculous money in the union and have no say on most of the matters?
No, they won't be fine, the racist genie is out of the bottle. Whatever the government do now, they are pretty fecked.

What they need is a strong respected leader to tell them this behaviour is unacceptable from an "advanced nation" in 2016 and that the vote was never a vote to block free movement in Europe and that they are a bunch of idiots.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I am feeling an increasing amount of guilt at the moment.

I've mentioned a few times in this thread that my wife is currently awaiting her VISA to come and live here, and I'm genuinely worried about the country I'm bringing her too. I mean, she lives in South Africa, and she has told me before that she has not once been racially discriminated against in her life (there's irony in there somewhere...) but if she comes here and if one person says anything untoward, well it would make me feel compeletely awful, so I can't imagine how it'd make her feel.

It probably sounds overly dramatic in what is quite a dramatic thread already, but as people have said, with the sharp rise of hateful things being heard/reported off the back of this, and the steady move towards the far-right... well, it's a worry to say the least.

Siorac

Did the leavers think they could go to the EU, shop around for the best possible deal and THEN decide if it's worth leaving or not, or try to pressure EU into giving them a much better deal for staying? "Hey, you better give us preferential treatment because we have a leave vote backing us up" ...
It looks like that's exactly what they were thinking.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

I've mentioned a few times in this thread that my wife is currently awaiting her VISA to come and live here, and I'm genuinely worried about the country I'm bringing her too. I mean, she lives in South Africa, and she has told me before that she has not once been racially discriminated against in her life (there's irony in there somewhere...) but if she comes here and if one person says anything untoward, well it would make me feel compeletely awful, so I can't imagine how it'd make her feel.

It probably sounds overly dramatic in what is quite a dramatic thread already, but as people have said, with the sharp rise of hateful things being heard/reported off the back of this, and the steady move towards the far-right... well, it's a worry to say the least.
:( Nothing I can really say to that if i'm honest.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What you talk about in your points I completely agree.

I as a british man, a white british man do not feel welcome in my own country.

I mention my ethnicity here to just say I feel like I'm in a completely different time and country right now, I don't feel this is the United Kingdom.

I've read of Muslim women and Polish women being abused, it's a joke. and frankly its embarrassing.

I plan 12 months into the future with my goals for the year, what I'm doing each month and then tiny milestones for each month for my personal development career-wise, but right now I'm thinking the 12 after that I might look elsewhere.

This country is in a terrible state right now.
I feel even more unsafe as a minority even though i was born in this country, this result has given far right racists more confidence and with tough times coming it's only going to get worse. With both Tory and Labour parties in disarray i can only see parties like UKIP growing, now they have got the EU immigrants out of the way their next target will be non EU immigrants and i fear eventually British people who are not white. I really fear for my son who will have to grow up in this environment. This result has been catastrophic not only on an economic level but also a social level.

devilish

No, they won't be fine, the racist genie is out of the bottle. Whatever the government do now, they are pretty fecked.

What they need is a strong respected leader to tell them this behaviour is unacceptable from an "advanced nation" in 2016 and that the vote was never a vote to block free movement in Europe and that they are a bunch of idiots.
What the tories need to do is for Boris and co to admit they lied and appoint someone whose a Remainer. It wont happen though

villain

Hates Beyoncé

There's always been racial micro-aggressions in the UK, but you'd have to be Non-White person, or even Non-British in the case of EU Migrants, to really notice them. Recent reports of actual acts of violence & prejudice against those very same groups I imagine are done so on the emotion of the result rather than any long term shift in pattern of behaviour.
This will die down sooner rather than later, your average British person is more timid by nature, and there's no culture of guns or violence like you see in America or Russia for example.

Your wife will be fine. She may be a victim of some form of racial discrimination at some point but I can't envisage it being very bad.

There's always been racial micro-aggressions in the UK, but you'd have to be Non-White person, or even Non-British in the case of EU Migrants, to really notice them. Recent reports of actual acts of violence & prejudice against those very same groups I imagine are done so on the emotion of the result rather than any long term shift in pattern of behaviour.
This will die down sooner rather than later, your average British person is more timid by nature, and there's no culture of guns or violence like you see in America or Russia for example.

Your wife will be fine. She may be a victim of some form of racial discrimination at some point but I can't envisage it being very bad.
That's an optimistic view but I envisage big problems if the UK agrees to an EEA deal, huge problems.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Woman in my office has just said she's 'fed up of seeing all this EU stuff all over the bloody news, it's been 3 days now you can't get away from it'.

Guarantee she voted out. Stupid ignorant cow.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
That's an optimistic view but I envisage big problems if the UK agrees to an EEA deal, huge problems.
I'm quite big when it comes to pointing our racism, prejudice and all that goes along with it.
In this case, I just don't see the UK shifting in that direction permanently or in the long term.

Short term yes, the reaction has been terrible but not shocking. There's too many variables to say if this is how things will be forever.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Re: the Youtuve video ~
For all the paranoid talk here about rampant feminazis, sadly there's an awful lot of women who give not one f*ck about Feminism or about the way women are perceived..

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's disgraceful how some people have acted after this result, as though racism has been legalised. I always under the impression that leaving the EU would lead to fairer immigration policy which wasn't so draconian for people outside of the EU.
I wrote/posted this before. Its coming true quicker than I thought

------

I hope Im wrong and this projection is an extremity .... but UK exiting the EU and a British Prime Minister resigning office are already very extreme actions so all bets are off ....

The Far Right Wing have officially parked there bus in the British Parliament. They were aided by a decade of soft and lazy political correctness, whipped up enough fear within public sentiment against immigrants and Islam and cleverly rode the EU referendum wave. Their views are now officially legitimate and they believe they have a manifesto for change; BrExit was just an aperitif, the main course is yet to come.

A new Conservative Government will most likely have to form a coalition with the right wing UKIP and other emboldened far right parties who will win seats in the next election. Labour will also have to alter its manifesto and become much tougher on immigration and the benefits of a international and cosmopolitan community. The political and cultural narrative of the next 5 years will be fuelled by renditions of the 'rule Britannia' ideology from the empire days, it will shun immigration and marginalise ethic minorities.

This will inspire other right wing movements across the world: other European nations will demand referendums and the EU will die. The US will vote in Trump, France will engage with Le Pen and right wing ideology will thrive across mainland Europe, not seen since the days of Hitler and Mussolini. India is already ruled by the right wing nationalist Modi and China will accelerate its own inward facing cultural reinvention. Liberal and cosmopolitan thinking space will shrink.

And so whilst digital technology will continue to make the global population feel like there are no borders, major influential Governments around the world will head in the opposite direction. At some point somebody will grieviosly upset somebody else and with weakened international coalitions no longer able to smooth over potentially violent disagreements (why the EU was set up in the first place!) nationalist Governments will consider war.

Whilst radical Islamic extremists will provide a constant backdrop, it will not be the trigger for all conflict: European countries will do that by themselves, as they have done twice before in the 2 great world wars of the last 100 years. Except this time, we have nuclear weapons and drones aided by sophisticated geo tagging to do damage.

I hope Im wrong and this projection is an extremity .... but UK exiting the EU and a British Prime Minister resigning office are already very extreme actions so all bets are off ....

#BrExit

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Broken Promises!

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/27/news/economy/brexit-broken-promises/

So much for all those promises. Leading politicians in the campaign to pull the U.K. out of the European Union are back-pedaling fast on a number of pledges, particularly over extra money for health care.

The retreat has prompted howls of outrage, from politicians who wanted Britain to stay in the EU as well as some Leave voters who say they feel "cheated."

Here are three pledges that are crumbling days after the historic Brexit vote:

Campaign promise #1: We'll give EU cash to the National Health Service

The official Vote Leave campaign claimed that membership in the EU cost the U.K. £350 million a week, "enough to build a brand new, fully staffed ... hospital every week."

The slogan was painted on the side of the campaign's bright red bus. Pro-Brexit politicians continued to make the claim, despite being repeatedly admonished by the independent statistics watchdog for misleading voters. Iain Duncan Smith, a leading figure in Vote Leave, told the BBC that the campaign didn't say "all" of it would go to the NHS but "a significant amount of it" would.

Nigel Farage, leader of the U.K. Independence Party and who campaigned for Brexit said implying that money sent to the EU could be spent on the health service in the future was a mistake. "No I can't [guarantee it], and I would never have made that claim. That was one of the mistakes that I think the Leave campaign made," he said on British TV after the vote.

About half of the money Britain hands over to the EU is returned to the country via subsidies for farmers, grants for research and funding for infrastructure. And that money is already committed.

Brexiteers told Britain's farmers and poor regions such as Cornwall that they wouldn't lose out financially once those funds are cut off. They made similar commitments to support U.K. universities and scientists -- the second biggest beneficiaries of research grants from the EU. Cornwall, in southwest England, voted in favor of leaving the EU. Local officials are already seeking confirmation from the government that the county won't be worse off as a result.

Campaign promise #2: We'll take control of the UK's borders

During the campaign, Brexiteers attacked the U.K. government for missing its target to cut net migration to tens of thousands (it was 333,000 last year), saying that only by leaving the EU could Britain control immigration. Many voters say they backed Brexit because they expected immigration to fall. Leave campaigner and lawmaker Nigel Evans told BBC radio that there had been "some misunderstanding" over the Leave campaign's position on reducing immigration. When asked if the number of people coming into the country would fall significantly, Evans said that a new Australian-style points system for EU migrants meant the U.K. would be able to control immigration -- but he didn't say it would fall.

Brexit voters have another problem: Negotiations on the terms of Britain's exit haven't even begun. The U.K. may have to keep its borders open to EU workers if it wants to trade freely with the rest of Europe -- a view articulated on Friday by Daniel Hannan, another leading voice in the Leave campaign.

"Don't care what you said Mr Hannan. We just voted to stop mass immigration. Now deliver for us," tweeted Vote Leave Derbyshire.

@DanHannanMEP @PaulDBrant @jreedmp I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAID MR HANNAN. WE JUST VOTED TO STOP MASS IMMIGRATION. NOW DELIVER FOR US.

— VoteLeave Derbyshire (@DerbyshireLeave) June 25, 2016

Boris Johnson, a leading Leave campaigner and frontrunner to be next prime minister, wrote on Sunday that British citizens will still have access to the EU single market. "British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes; and to settle down," he wrote for the Telegraph. The problem, of course, is that such continued freedom of movement for Brits will require freedom of movement for Europeans.

Campaign promise #3: The economy will be fine

The U.K. government and just about every independent forecaster, including the International Monetary Fund, said that a vote for Brexit would trigger financial and economic turmoil. Those warnings were dubbed "Project Fear" by Brexiteers, who said the U.K. would thrive outside the EU.

Consider this: Since the results of the vote became known early Friday, the pound has crashed 12% against the U.S. dollar to its lowest level in decades, U.K. bank stocks have collapsed, and growth forecasts for the British economy have been slashed. Companies are putting investments on hold, and warning of lower profits. Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne said Monday the economy and government finances will suffer, but an emergency budget won't happen until a new prime minister is chosen in October.

Business says it can't wait that long. Banks are already thinking about moving staff out of London. "What we need is a plan," said CBI Director-General Carolyn Fairbairn. "The government must act with urgency to minimize the uncertainties that affect investment decisions and slow job creation."

Analysts say the contrast between promises and results will cause huge headaches for the new prime minister. "He (or she) won't be able to deliver the Brexiteers' promises of saving £350 million by leaving the EU, enjoying favorable trade agreements, 'taking control' of immigration while avoiding any significant economic setback at the same time," wrote Holger Schmieding at Berenberg bank.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

Even Swedes, Norwegians and the Danish will get comments here by bigots saying "go back to your country" when they have a higher standard of living and are better educated for the most part.

It's a sad country we live in the UK is just fundamentally broken and let's be honest, it was before the referendum this just gave them license to say their prejudice is ethical.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm quite big when it comes to pointing our racism, prejudice and all that goes along with it.
In this case, I just don't see the UK shifting in that direction permanently or in the long term.

Short term yes, the reaction has been terrible but not shocking. There's too many variables to say if this is how things will be forever.
What did you not understand about 52% voting to leave despite every expert telling them not to?

It was a free pass to legitimise every closet racist in the country. We let the genie out if the bottle and are back to the 1970s.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I don't think I agree with you @Gambit
  • Our people are completely divided
  • Far right politics is being promoted
  • Our economy is being torn to pieces
  • The Government and Political Parties are a complete mess
  • Hate crimes are being reported across the country
  • The United Kingdom is on the brink of being dismantled
Yet you think we're in a better off position than the EU at the moment? Care to elaborate?
We have a difference of opinion and regardless who's shouting what the loudest in the media or online calling everyone idiots, racists, traitors yadda yadda It is just that. Far right politics isn't being promoted, in fact far right politics has just been used and will now be thrown to the side, Farage is already persona non gratis and UKIP will not be part of the new parliament.

I'm also glad that a mirror has been shown to reveal that this country (and I believe every country in the world) is far more racist than they have claimed to be for years as we can now start to address it properly rather than live in denial.

The government and political parties have just been given the biggest kick up the backside for decades and for the first time in god knows how long have just had a huge reminder that they work for the people not the elite few. In a months time the politicians will all be back again same as always. Hate crimes have been reported across the country every day for years now it's getting the attention it deserves and the idiots in hiding who commit them are coming out of the woodwork. The UK isn't on the Brink of being dismantled despite the rhetoric. Sturgeon has already been shot down by the EU and the hopes she had of making Scotland leave and join the EU has been revealed it will take about 15 years to happen, in te mean time we will have an idea as to how the exit will work and if we come out of it as a member as I expect in the EEA then Sturgeon et all will very quickly change their stance.

We are in a state of fear and uncertainty when there doesn't need to be one, which will only last as long as people are bickering, not moving forward together and once the political shake down is over and the parties who every single mp has agreed will start to work together to get the best deal for the country. The EU itself and please don't think I'm talking about the countries of Spain, France, Germany etc but the EU administration in Brussels is in serious danger as is their control of the Euro. the falls happening today are an undervaluation of the pound. At this moment in time, in terms of our actual position and strength of our economy nothing has changed since this time last week except that in 2 years it will change and we will have a better idea by the end of this year how that will happen, all speculation is occurring without any facts, a bit like the campaigns we've just been subject to. At the moment a lot of financiers before the vote started buying up gold more as it always holds it value better in uncertain times. Once the calm has returned they will buy back into currency and if things carry on they are going to make a killing buying into stirling. This is not an apocalypse

I will not reveal how I voted and I wish a lot more people didn't, especially online, as it led to this tying our flags to a pole and damned the opposition as the enemy. What I will say is I was like a lot of this country shocked and deeply saddened on Friday morning last week. I was equally disgusted by both campaigns lies and fear mongering. I have since the last Friday as well been equally sickened by peoples behaviour online from both sides of the argument in the aftermath. For me the debate was and should have been simpler and made with facts about what it was really about. Do you want everything to remain the same, or do you want actual change. Actual change has won and it will be a bit painful in the short term but I promise you there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that isn't a future were we'll all be running around like a scene from a 80's sci-fi dystopia where everyone is a skinhead racist living in squalor. We need the Euro to survive and the Euro needs the Pound to survive and things will calm down but only if we let it.

The idea that everyone voted to leave because they were all simple racists is untrue despite how many videos are posted in here and everyone who has claimed it on the caf. The generation that voted to leave were also the generation that voted us in in the first place and they have seen the effects since that time and made their decision on that. There has been a huge disconnect between the working classes and the political parties who declared things like we are all middle class now and in Europe we were better. They've seen there communities disappear and the engagement from both the main parties dwindle away to them to the point of being ignored, and considered not needed as our parties now had the ear of business instead and that's all that mattered to make the economy proper, which led the way in for a horrible group like UKIP as they were the only ones willing to engage with them and all they did was reaffirm the fear rather than reason, listen and try to work out a way for their voices to be heard in halls of power. The highest proportional areas who voted to leave was old Labour home ground, you know that liberal left minded side of the country.

Everyone needs to stop flapping, stop being hateful to everyone, calm down and wait and see.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Woman in my office has just said she's 'fed up of seeing all this EU stuff all over the bloody news, it's been 3 days now you can't get away from it'.

Guarantee she voted out. Stupid ignorant cow.
I'm sure that a lot of people think that it's not that important, they don't realize how big a decision it was. It doesn't matter which side you are but you need to understand what it meant.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Even Swedes, Norwegians and the Danish will get comments here by bigots saying "go back to your country" when they have a higher standard of living and are better educated for the most part.

It's a sad country we live in the UK is just fundamentally broken and let's be honest, it was before the referendum this just gave them license to say their prejudice is ethical.
I've already had someone I went to secondary school with tell me to 'Go back where you came from, if you dont like it!' in response to me highlighting racist attitudes in the UK. And she just got swamped by about 8 different people telling her how much of a bigot she is.:lol:

What did you not understand about 52% voting to leave despite every expert telling them not to?

It was a free pass to legitimise every closet racist in the country. We let the genie out if the bottle and are back to the 1970s.
That's the thing, they have a free pass now because the result is still fresh & raw. As things settle down and people begin to see that they were duped & we'll be in a recession for who knows how long they won't feel so justified in their bigotry.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
No, nothing matters.
It doesn't really. Nothing you think say or do matters so do whatever interests you and makes you happy. If doing so breaks the law then justice and punishment should be done on this earth as past the here and now any other sort of punishment is pointless.

Boris Johnson claims German business institute ( BDI ) said there'll still be access to single market. BDI just told us that's untrue

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

GloryHunter07

It doesn't really. Nothing you think say or do matters so do whatever interests you and makes you happy. If doing so breaks the law then justice and punishment should be done on this earth as past the here and now any other sort of punishment is pointless.
Your post doesn't matter, I didn't even read it

No. 10 spokeswoman on indyref2: "The last thing Scotland needs now is a divisive referendum" - Lobby hacks laughed out loud

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Minimalist

Northern Ireland benefits hugely from the EU. It's already struggling to overcome being an economic backwater and yet there were still clowns voting to leave here.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What the actual feck are you on about?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I will not reveal how I voted and I wish a lot more people didn't, especially online, as it led to this tying our flags to a pole and damned the opposition as the enemy. What I will say is I was like a lot of this country shocked and deeply saddened on Friday morning last week. I was equally disgusted by both campaigns lies and fear mongering. I have since the last Friday as well been equally sickened by peoples behaviour online from both sides of the argument in the aftermath. For me the debate was and should have been simpler and made with facts about what it was really about. Do you want everything to remain the same, or do you want actual change. Actual change has won and it will be a bit painful in the short term but I promise you there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that isn't a future were we'll all be running around like a scene from a 80's sci-fi dystopia where everyone is a skinhead racist living in squalor. We need the Euro to survive and the Euro needs the Pound to survive and things will calm down but only if we let it.

The idea that everyone voted to leave because they were all simple racists is untrue despite how many videos are posted in here and everyone who has claimed it on the caf. The generation that voted to leave were also the generation that voted us in in the first place and they have seen the effects since that time and made their decision on that. There has been a huge disconnect between the working classes and the political parties who declared things like we are all middle class now and in Europe we were better. They've seen there communities disappear and the engagement from both the main parties dwindle away to them to the point of being ignored, and considered not needed as our parties now had the ear of business instead and that's all that mattered to make the economy proper, which led the way in for a horrible group like UKIP as they were the only ones willing to engage with them and all they did was reaffirm the fear rather than reason, listen and try to work out a way for their voices to be heard in halls of power. The highest proportional areas who voted to leave was old Labour home ground, you know that liberal left minded side of the country.

Everyone needs to stop flapping, stop being hateful to everyone, calm down and wait and see.
There are lots of reasons to vote leave for sure. To take back sovereignty (I fail to see any method of trading with the world and keeping 100% sovereignty, by the nature of the thing, it's all a compromise), to make immigration fairer for the rest of the world, to try and increase wages for the working class, and so on and so forth.

A good portion of the vote leave are racist bigots however, but certainly not everyone, and I would hope not the majority.

But right now, the leavers have no answer to the remainers on pretty much any issue they bring up.
"The prime minister has quit."

"This is fine".

"The Pound has dropped to a 31 year low"

"It will recover"

"The FTSE 250 has dropped 10%"

"That will recover too"

"Scotland want a second referendum".

"Err".

"And now the Leave campaign are denying that the immigration levels are going to drop or that there will be any extra money to go to the NHS anyway".
It would be nice if a Leaver had anything to say on the subject other than, "be patient, it will be fine".

At the end of the day, I don't care about the EU. We can leave, maybe they will punish us for 5 years or so, maybe it will cost a few tens of thousands of people their jobs, but we will survive.

But if Scotland go, then that's it. A 600 year old Union destroyed because politicians couldn't sort their stuff out. A huge waste. The end of an era. Sad times.