Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Sturgeon has already been shot down by the EU and the hopes she had of making Scotland leave and join the EU has been revealed it will take about 15 years to happen, in te mean time we will have an idea as to how the exit will work and if we come out of it as a member as I expect in the EEA then Sturgeon et all will very quickly change their stance.
News to me. Any links to this?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We have a difference of opinion and regardless who's shouting what the loudest in the media or online calling everyone idiots, racists, traitors yadda yadda It is just that. Far right politics isn't being promoted, in fact far right politics has just been used and will now be thrown to the side, Farage is already persona non gratis and UKIP will not be part of the new parliament.

I'm also glad that a mirror has been shown to reveal that this country (and I believe every country in the world) is far more racist than they have claimed to be for years as we can now start to address it properly rather than live in denial.

The government and political parties have just been given the biggest kick up the backside for decades and for the first time in god knows how long have just had a huge reminder that they work for the people not the elite few. In a months time the politicians will all be back again same as always. Hate crimes have been reported across the country every day for years now it's getting the attention it deserves and the idiots in hiding who commit them are coming out of the woodwork. The UK isn't on the Brink of being dismantled despite the rhetoric. Sturgeon has already been shot down by the EU and the hopes she had of making Scotland leave and join the EU has been revealed it will take about 15 years to happen, in te mean time we will have an idea as to how the exit will work and if we come out of it as a member as I expect in the EEA then Sturgeon et all will very quickly change their stance.

We are in a state of fear and uncertainty when there doesn't need to be one, which will only last as long as people are bickering, not moving forward together and once the political shake down is over and the parties who every single mp has agreed will start to work together to get the best deal for the country. The EU itself and please don't think I'm talking about the countries of Spain, France, Germany etc but the EU administration in Brussels is in serious danger as is their control of the Euro. the falls happening today are an undervaluation of the pound. At this moment in time, in terms of our actual position and strength of our economy nothing has changed since this time last week except that in 2 years it will change and we will have a better idea by the end of this year how that will happen, all speculation is occurring without any facts, a bit like the campaigns we've just been subject to. At the moment a lot of financiers before the vote started buying up gold more as it always holds it value better in uncertain times. Once the calm has returned they will buy back into currency and if things carry on they are going to make a killing buying into stirling. This is not an apocalypse

I will not reveal how I voted and I wish a lot more people didn't, especially online, as it led to this tying our flags to a pole and damned the opposition as the enemy. What I will say is I was like a lot of this country shocked and deeply saddened on Friday morning last week. I was equally disgusted by both campaigns lies and fear mongering. I have since the last Friday as well been equally sickened by peoples behaviour online from both sides of the argument in the aftermath. For me the debate was and should have been simpler and made with facts about what it was really about. Do you want everything to remain the same, or do you want actual change. Actual change has won and it will be a bit painful in the short term but I promise you there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that isn't a future were we'll all be running around like a scene from a 80's sci-fi dystopia where everyone is a skinhead racist living in squalor. We need the Euro to survive and the Euro needs the Pound to survive and things will calm down but only if we let it.

The idea that everyone voted to leave because they were all simple racists is untrue despite how many videos are posted in here and everyone who has claimed it on the caf. The generation that voted to leave were also the generation that voted us in in the first place and they have seen the effects since that time and made their decision on that. There has been a huge disconnect between the working classes and the political parties who declared things like we are all middle class now and in Europe we were better. They've seen there communities disappear and the engagement from both the main parties dwindle away to them to the point of being ignored, and considered not needed as our parties now had the ear of business instead and that's all that mattered to make the economy proper, which led the way in for a horrible group like UKIP as they were the only ones willing to engage with them and all they did was reaffirm the fear rather than reason, listen and try to work out a way for their voices to be heard in halls of power. The highest proportional areas who voted to leave was old Labour home ground, you know that liberal left minded side of the country.

Everyone needs to stop flapping, stop being hateful to everyone, calm down and wait and see.
I can understand some of your points and do agree with some. But there are others where I think you're just flat out in denial.

1. The Referendum was used as a platform by the far right (it certainly was promoted imo).
2. Could you provide me with a link to where the EU shot down Sturgeon? I must have missed it with the amount going on in the last few days.
3. Hate Crimes has risen, they may always have been there but its become far more vocal (see #1).
4. The uncertainty has come from the Leave Campaign having no idea what to do next. This is a direct result of the Referendum (also see my point in previous post about political parties being a mess)
5. You promise me there will be light at the end of the tunnel? Seriously?
6. I agree to an extent with your last paragraph, however, there is a big concern that the older generation are simply living in the past. The worlds moved on since the 70's, why are we moving back?

All I see is a lot of sweeping statements on both sides when the reality is nobody has a clue how this will change the country. There is no assurance because this has never happened before. So for people to claim that things will get better is frankly absurd, there's no way of knowing that. For all we know this might be for the better, it could however do untold damage to our economy and cause a fractured country.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Your post doesn't matter, I didn't even read it
Good. Now you get it. Nothing has any purpose, so don't bother caring.
What the actual feck are you on about?
Gloryhunter is upset because I said that life doesn't matter relatively speaking so why worry about it. He is now trying to turn it against me as I am showing interest in things that give me enjoyment, completely missing the point of my view on life in his attempt to be obtuse.

But like I said, it doesn't matter to me what he says and does and thinks about me, I'm just enjoying this interaction.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Here is a fallout from this side of the pond, on Saturday morning I spent some time working with a local Political Action Committee (a left leaning one that serves the City I live near). What I did was visit a neighborhood trying to get signatures on a petition to have an item added to the next ballot as a referendum that the citizens could vote directly on. I actually had a few people not willing to do so, using Brexit as an example of why they have now soured on referendums.

Institute of Directors: First signs Brexit will hit jobs

the hea

The IoD, which did not campaign during the referendum, received results from 1,092 members between 24– 26 June.

Simon Walker, Director General of the Institute of Directors commented on the results:

“Businesses will be busy working out how they are going to adapt and succeed after the referendum result. But we can’t sugar-coat this, many of our members are feeling anxious. A majority of business leaders think the vote for Brexit is bad for them, and as a result plans for investment and hiring are being put on hold or scaled back.”

Over a third (36%) of IoD members say the outcome of last Thursday’s vote will cause them to cut investment in their business, against 1 in 10 (9%) who say they will increase investment. Just under half (44%) say it will not change their investment plans.
http://www.iod.com/influencing/press-office/press-releases/first-signs-brexit-will-hit-jobs

Credit Suisse: UK lead indicators are already consistent with a recession and will likely now worsen

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

No idea how accurate.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Sounds to me like he's talking about pre Indyref 1
No i'm not Scotland has been informed it will have to Exit the EU with the UK and apply to join as every other country. Scotland will not be allowed to join though and keep the pound so a Euro currency side will have to join the debate. Scotland will not be allowed any independence referendum until after the 2 years negotiations. They will then have to push parliament to allow said referendum which will then only happen on a general election promise which at the earliest will be 2020. They will then still be made to use parliamentary procedure and then they will have to reapply to join. It's not going to be a case of we want our Indyref2 referendum so it will happen next week.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No, they won't be fine, the racist genie is out of the bottle. Whatever the government do now, they are pretty fecked.

What they need is a strong respected leader to tell them this behaviour is unacceptable from an "advanced nation" in 2016 and that the vote was never a vote to block free movement in Europe and that they are a bunch of idiots.
I come from a country whose pretty much Anglophile. We've been a British colony for hundreds of years, our parents/grandparents fought the war on Britain's side and got the George cross because of it (which we display proudly on our flag) and the elitist tend to speak in English to distinguish themselves from the rest of the plebs. However even our politicians are admitting that leaving the EU is suicide.

Ironically Brexit is currently being supported by some nephew of our own Farage ie the man who cut Malta ties from the Union completely.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No i'm not Scotland has been informed it will have to Exit the EU with the UK and apply to join as every other country. Scotland will not be allowed to join though and keep the pound so a Euro currency side will have to join the debate. Scotland will not be allowed any independence referendum until after the 2 years negotiations. They will then have to push parliament to allow said referendum which will then only happen on a general election promise which at the earliest will be 2020. They will then still be made to use parliamentary procedure and then they will have to reapply to join. It's not going to be a case of we want our Indyref2 referendum so it will happen next week.
Again, could you provide a link? I'm not saying you aren't wrong, but i'd rather read a few articles than a random from the Caf. No offense. :p

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There's always been racial micro-aggressions in the UK, but you'd have to be Non-White person, or even Non-British in the case of EU Migrants, to really notice them. Recent reports of actual acts of violence & prejudice against those very same groups I imagine are done so on the emotion of the result rather than any long term shift in pattern of behaviour.
This will die down sooner rather than later, your average British person is more timid by nature, and there's no culture of guns or violence like you see in America or Russia for example.

Your wife will be fine. She may be a victim of some form of racial discrimination at some point but I can't envisage it being very bad.
I cant say I agree with you there, and I don't share your optimism. Also, we have been here long enough to be able to take some forms of racial abuse in our stride. As the above poster says, this could possibly be his wifes first experience. That can be very painful and traumatic...

The only thing I can say is at least it would most likely be only verbal abuse.

rcoobc

Someone on reddit just made a very good point.

In the EU, we had a veto against Turkey joining the EU

In the EEA, we have no veto, and still have to accept all their "80 million" workers

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

In the EEA, we have no veto, and still have to accept all their "80 million" workers
:lol: oh my god the stupidity. Remain are to blame for not holding Leave to their Norway and Switzerland paradise comments.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Finally found a chart which shows voting for different age groups over time

From the telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...-would-happen-if-more-young-people-voted.html

Young people voting seemed to collapse as Labour lurched to the right, but also because they are less settle; the number who went to university increased and the number who have a job aged 18 decreased.
I don't know if it's the same in England but in France we virtually have the same politicians since the 80s, the parliament average age is around 55 years old and they have lied to us from the day of our birth. We have never seen them do anything for the country and they barely mention the youth during their campaign, the rare times they do its just empty promises that they forgot the day of their elections.

The older population have witnessed political actions, they have experienced them some have been other good but at least they saw something.

rcoobc

I do think the leavers are right in a way. We have to work together now to get EU-Lite. We can't remain in the EU as it is because 52% of people voted Leave. It's constitutionally wrong.
  • Free movement of workers is fine. Norway and Swiss have it that way anyway, so why can't we? Nothing is done that can't be undone.
  • Restrictions on migration from Turkey for at least 10 years (and any future expansion countries).
  • A right to veto some EU laws, meaning it just wont apply to the UK (we'd never use it, but it gives us sovereignty).
  • Ability to ask migrants to leave if they don't have a job (and haven't lived here for.. 3 years?)
  • We're happy to contribute to the EU budget. Heck, double it.
  • Scotland and Northern Ireland can stay in EU proper.
Do all the sensible leavers accept this?

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

Yep.

Same as in the EU we had a veto on altering the terms of our rebate. Now we won't.

In the EU we had a veto on TTIP, now we won't.

Etc...

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I cant say I agree with you there, and I don't share your optimism. Also, we have been here long enough to be able to take some forms of racial abuse in our stride. As the above poster says, this could possibly be his wifes first experience. That can be very painful and traumatic...

The only thing I can say is at least it would most likely be only verbal abuse.
I have to be optimistic, this country simply cannot descend into primal racial warfare. British people are better than that.

Any racial discrimination is traumatic, but unfortunately - racism exists, we can't pretend it doesn't & I don't personally know any people of colour who haven't gone through some form of racial discrimination, which is why I said it's likely she will encounter it at some point.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've not seen Game of Thrones but clicking on that there's a few GoT images on the right. Probably best to put a notice or something in your post
I don't even know what GOT is. Feel free to delete if its some sort of spoiler.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I do think the leavers are right in a way. We have to work together now to get EU-Lite. We can't remain in the EU as it is because 52% of people voted Leave. It's constitutionally wrong.
  • Free movement of workers is fine. Norway and Swiss have it that way anyway, so why can't we? Nothing is done that can't be undone.
  • Restrictions on migration from Turkey for at least 10 years (and any future expansion countries).
  • A right to veto some EU laws, meaning it just wont apply to the UK (we'd never use it, but it gives us sovereignty).
  • Ability to ask migrants to leave if they don't have a job (and haven't lived here for.. 3 years?)
All would be welcomed by sensible people on both sides, however the last two are not. I doubt many will want us contributing double to a union in which we have decreased power, furthermore for Scotland and NI to remain in the EU they will definitely have to leave the UK.

saivet

Now that is the problem. A large sentiment of the leave campaign was regarding immigration and how we need to control it.

It would make no sense to leave with an aim to control immigration to then continue allowing free movement of people.

Because of this sentiment, it screws us in many ways.

rcoobc

All would be welcomed by sensible people on both sides, however the last two are not. I doubt many will want us contributing double to a union in which we have decreased power, furthermore for Scotland and NI to remain in the EU they will definitely have to leave the UK.
Yeah I was kind of joking about the last one.

I said here I think all four nations should now get full-member status to prevent a permanent break away. If politicians really want to save the union, then they have to let Scotland choose its own path in the world. The UK can become a political-economic union, and let Scotland represent itself on the world stage.

But even if that isn't an option, the other things we need to work together on.

The doubling of the EU budget is also a joke, but it's better than having no EU at all, and I think the EU will want serious concessions if we want a better deal.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah... EEA is probably the smartest and best way forward now... it's just so feckin' dumb. We've basically traded in our brand new Samsung Galaxy for a Nokia 3310... we can make and recieve calls, but fecked if we can download apps, edit it's software, or use it in a smart manner. We can play Snake though I suppose, so that's a bonus.

The other problem is immigration though... people may well be mightly fecked off that nothing is being done to halt EU immigration, which might lead to some ugly scenes.

There's also the fact that we will have to pay just as much as we did before into the EU - but I doubt the majority of the public will actually notice that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Norway and Switzerland are arguably the two richest countries in the world and didn't need the EU. They also pump loads of money into the EU for their agreement (which they can easily afford). The UK will still have to pump loads of money into the EU to get the agreement.

Besides, there's a big difference between figuring out agreements between two countries who were never in the EU and have populations of 5m-8m and a country that actively voted to leave the EU and has a population circa 65m. The UK are in for a really tough ride if they're going to be relying on getting the free movement and trade from the EU to keep their economy afoot if they invoke article 50.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The most problematic bit there (aside from casual doubling of contributions lolz) is Scotland and N. Ireland. They aren't states so they can't have a separate relationship with Europe unless/until they secede.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Now that is the problem. A large sentiment of the leave campaign was regarding immigration and how we need to control it.

It would make no sense to leave with an aim to control immigration to then continue allowing free movement of people.

Because of this sentiment, it screws us in many ways.
Yes.

We're faced with a choice now as a country - either we let our economy go to hell, or say we'll allow free movement. Simple as. We have to take the second option, but stuff has been let out of pandora's box that is going to be very difficult to put back. Boris Johnson and Gove will need to be held accountable for whatever happens as a result.

rcoobc

There is a small difference between free movement of people, and free movement of workers.

Judging from the way our economy has tanked, the £350m sent to the EU which is actually £145 is money really well spent .

Besides, there's a big difference between figuring out agreements between two countries who were never in the EU and have populations of 5m-8m and a country that actively voted to leave the EU and has a population circa 65m. The UK are in for a really tough ride if they're going to be relying on getting the free movement and trade from the EU to keep their economy afoot if they invoke article 50.
Definitely, but the EU knows the UK has a mandate to leave now. Hopefully they want us to stay enough to actually do a proper deal.
The other problem is immigration though... people may well be mightly fecked off that nothing is being done to halt EU immigration, which might lead to some ugly scenes.

There's also the fact that we will have to pay just as much as we did before into the EU - but I doubt the majority of the public will actually notice that.
A huge proportion of the leave voters might be annoyed if we can't properly leave, and still give money to the EU. But I'm fine with that. We only need 2% to switch sides, and I think we'd safely get 10%, 20% if done properly.

saivet

Yes.

We're faced with a choice now as a country - either we let our economy go to hell, or say we'll allow free movement. Simple as. We have to take the second option, but stuff has been let out of pandora's box that is going to be very difficult to put back. Boris Johnson and Gove will need to be held accountable for whatever happens as a result.
The number of people who are already pissed off with the current establishment will be fuming if we leave the EU but still allow free movement. Better hope that it boils down to more of a pride thing of standing alone rather than truly about immigration.

Either way, it could get ugly in a number of different ways.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There is a small difference between free movement of people, and free movement of workers.
The EU is free movement of workers (well, work, study and retire) ... you can't just move to a country and not do anything.

I think they class it as being "Economically active" ... but yeah, you can't just go.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The number of people who are already pissed off with the current establishment will be fuming if we leave the EU but still allow free movement. Better hope that it boils down to more of a pride thing of standing alone rather than truly about immigration.

Either way, it could get ugly in a number of different ways.
That's my worry. But having to work harder to counter rising anti-immigration sentiment is preferable to a crashing economy.

Siorac

Yeah... EEA is probably the smartest and best way forward now... it's just so feckin' dumb. We've basically traded in our brand new Samsung Galaxy for a Nokia 3310... we can make and recieve calls, but fecked if we can download apps, edit it's software, or use it in a smart manner. We can play Snake though I suppose, so that's a bonus.
Not a good example because a Nokia 3310 has actual, genuine advantages over the Samsung Galaxy: significantly longer battery life, for one, and you can drop it as many times you want, the biggest danger is that it will fall on your foot and cripple you for life. But I guarantee you will be able to call an ambulance with the phone afterwards. It will be undamaged!

rcoobc

The EU is free movement of workers (well, work, study and retire) ... you can't just move to a country and not do anything.

I think they class it as being "Economically active" ... but yeah, you can't just go.
I *think* they are two separate things. At least, that's what I have been telling people for the 10 years.

Free movement of workers is secured in the European Community (wiki)

But as an EU Citizen you also get (wiki)
Right to free movement and residence: a right of free movement and residence throughout the Union and the right to work in any position (including national civil services with the exception of those posts in the public sector that involve the exercise of powers conferred by public law and the safeguard of general interests of the State or local authorities (Article 21) for which however there is no one single definition);
More info:
The ECJ has held that this Article confers a directly effective right upon citizens to reside in another Member State.[17][18] Before the case of Baumbast,[18] it was widely assumed that non-economically active citizens had no rights to residence deriving directly from the EU Treaty, only from directives created under the Treaty. In Baumbast, however, the ECJ held that (the then)[19] Article 18 of the EC Treaty granted a generally applicable right to residency, which is limited by secondary legislation, but only where that secondary legislation is proportionate.[20] Member States can distinguish between nationals and Union citizens but only if the provisions satisfy the test of proportionality.[21] Migrant EU citizens have a "legitimate expectation of a limited degree of financial solidarity... having regard to their degree of integration into the host society"[22] Length of time is a particularly important factor when considering the degree of integration.
So at the moment, I think anyone from the EU can come here without a job offer. With free movement of workers though, they may need a job offer before hand, or at least to have a job offer within x months?

if I'm wrong, someone tell me.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Listening to Cameron now, he's passing the buck on everything to the next Government.
Yep. It's the political equivalent of "That would be an ecumenical matter."

This makes me a little more sad, you seem like a good bloke @rcoobc and want to try and understand, but even you have it wrong.

It is freedom of movement for workers buddy, you can't just move to Spain and sit on your arse claiming social. You must register with the new EU country on arrival and you must find work, otherwise you are not entitled to stay.

Not a good example because a Nokia 3310 has actual, genuine advantages over the Samsung Galaxy: significantly longer battery life, for one, and you can drop it as many times you want, the biggest danger is that it will fall on your foot and cripple you for life. But I guarantee you will be able to call an ambulance with the phone afterwards. It will be undamaged!
:lol: this thread needed this.