Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If I throw 50 darts at a board and hit the bullseye once does that make me a good darts player? He just isn't a good passer, but, because he's allowed to try stupid passes nonstop every game, he's regarded as a good one because he occasionally gets a few right, which is bound to happen when you have so many attempts.

Please take him back.
what a load of shite :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Tie him down by all means but I'd like to see us look at rotation options for the AM spot when the next manager comes in.

Bruno is the kind of player you want playing 75% of the time and then sat on the bench the other 25% of the time he decides to have a stinker

Right now we only have Pogba to rotate with him and he'll be off soon
He’s already ‘tied down’. His contract runs until 2025. There’s no rush to double the salary of a player who hasn’t been in good form for a long while.

mikeyt

We never learn! We may have got rid of Woodward but clearly not our stupidity.

A player under contract until 2024/2025 who did brilliantly to start with but has now plateaued and may not have as big a role with our new manager but will now be paid a massive amount making him unattractive to suitors if we decide he's a squad player going forward. At least wait for the new manager to arrive and asses first FFS!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba leaves for free... Mismanagement by club. Bruno getting a new deal... Joke doesn't deserve it
Pogba leaving for free isn’t mismanagement. It is not as if they rejected 100m for him. He had a contract and hasn’t, despite years of speculation, been subject of a worthwhile bid in that time. Only alternative to him leaving for free is agreeing a new deal, which is also the wrong thing to do because he’s not worth whatever arbitrary figure we want to use today.

As for Bruno, a new deal should be for next summer, if at all. This will allow us to see whatever new direction we are going in this summer, and a season of seeing how he fits into that. With another 3 years to run, we are under no pressure at the moment.

romufc

If I throw 50 darts at a board and hit the bullseye once does that make me a good darts player? He just isn't a good passer, but, because he's allowed to try stupid passes nonstop every game, he's regarded as a good one because he occasionally gets a few right, which is bound to happen when you have so many attempts.
Actually he's created the most chances so there is a difference, you are hitting 1/50 where he is probably hitting 30/50 bullseye.

That or someone who keeps hitting 5's every dart? Its not occasionally, he comes of the pitch and most times he's created the most chances. Name me another Manutd footballer right now who has even created half his chances?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm a fan of Bruno -

But will he be allowed to play such a way for a possesion based manager?

He could be losing possesion alot.

poleglass red

watched a City game the other week, Pep spent more time shouting at players off the ball then he did with players on the ball. They have a system and all players must occupy certain spaces, if they don't Pep is quickly onto them. I don't see Bruno ever having that tactical discipline to play a role in a system such at that. The issue with that is, will he fit into whomever the new manager is going to be plans. Any new manager looking to play a high press and possession based game, Bruno isn't really your man for that. He has attributes but keeping possession isn't one of them. Unless behind the scenes the new manager has approved this, I don't know, but that seems too organised for us.I don't think we needed to tie him down contract wise just yet. I don't see there being interest in him for clubs that could afford him.

Matt851

watched a City game the other week, Pep spent more time shouting at players off the ball then he did with players on the ball. They have a system and all players must occupy certain spaces, if they don't Pep is quickly onto them. I don't see Bruno ever having that tactical discipline to play a role in a system such at that. The issue with that is, will he fit into whomever the new manager is going to be plans. Any new manager looking to play a high press and possession based game, Bruno isn't really your man for that. He has attributes but keeping possession isn't one of them. Unless behind the scenes the new manager has approved this, I don't know, but that seems too organised for us.I don't think we needed to tie him down contract wise just yet. I don't see there being interest in him for clubs that could afford him.
Exactly and that's also why I don't see him being part of a successful team and why clubs like city and Liverpool weren't interested in him. The lack of interest from other clubs is yet another reason why this new contract wasn't necessary

Tavern in the town

Bruno is clearly very gifted but his play style simply isn’t very conducive to a team that wins things. You cannot have a player who handles the ball like a hot potato when playing against teams who sit back, the name of the game is to sustain pressure and he will never play for a team who can successfully do so. Look at how patient City are every time they face a deep defence, does anyone honestly think they’d be as good/better with Bruno trying to play the killer pass every time he gets the ball? He doesn’t know how to pick his moments - which would be fine if he was a young player. He’s 27, this is who he is.

GueRed

He's been poor this season (who hasnt)

Overall though he's been a good signing.

Does he deserve a new bigger contract? I'll wait and let the new manager decide...

RuudTom83

United would have about 4 players in the entire squad next season if the Cafe had its way.

-Supreme-

His current contract doesn’t end until 2026, we should see how he performs next season before rewarding him with new improved terms.

Matt851

Can’t believe the amount of posters in here who don’t rate him. The numbers don’t lie, the guy is one of the best players in the world over the last few years.
I rate him but there is literally zero chance he would get picked for city or Liverpool given how frequently he gives the ball away. He is also often one of our worst players in big games. His numbers in previous seasons are great but I do wonder what other players numbers would look like if they were willing to give the ball away so often

Ultimately the question is not whether he is rated, its whether there is any point giving him a bigger contract now

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can’t believe the amount of posters in here who don’t rate him. The numbers don’t lie, the guy is one of the best players in the world over the last few years.
The numbers ‘don’t lie’ in and of themselves, but which numbers you choose to focus on are up to you. A number will tell you a specific thing about a player’s game perhaps, but it doesn’t tell you everything.

People often snigger at others when numbers are diminished for Bruno, but there is hypocrisy in that. Fred, for example, probably has exceptional numbers at certain things. And not random things like ‘most throw ins taken’ - things like interceptions, distance covered, ball recoveries. And those numbers are not made up, they are factual, and they are independently, things you would want in a CM. However, people are also very happy to pick at other parts of his game which, despite his off the chart numbers in key metrics, do not make him good enough for Manchester United. And they don’t make him good enough, from what I read, due to it limiting the capacity of the entire team to play a certain way. Usually possession retention, or positional structure (he has been accused of not being a ‘real DM’ and doesn’t occupy the right areas.

Fred is a perfect example here for why some people may not simplify Bruno’s game by two metrics, as important as they both are, and not consider them in the context of how the team plays. Aaron Wan-Bissaka posts exceptional numbers in certain areas. Most tackles in the league etc. Tackling, again, is not an irrelevant part of football, especially for a defender - yet the conclusion of many is that he is stylistically not the right fit for…yep, ‘how the team wants to play’. And this is the key for everything.

Just as anyone’s criticism of Bruno can be dismissed by referring to ‘his numbers’, I can just as easily do the same for Fred and Wan-Bissaka. Or Harry Maguire, who I imagine has the useful metric for a centre half of being amongst the highest aerial duels won in the game. However, the game, especially at the highest level, cannot be distilled into a couple of key metrics when you are trying to build a team. First thing is does the player have the qualities to play how we want to play? That should tell you whether a player is good enough, or if you prefer in Bruno’s case - ‘suited’. Goalkeepers who make lots of saves and centre forwards who score lots of goals have been moved on from teams because of their contribution or lack of to how the unit wants to play. And these are their actual primary metrics. Goalscoring isn’t even Bruno’s necessarily, although chance creation is and he’s brilliant at that.

I imagine the reason big teams have not circled Bruno in his career, except us, is because they typically have the most clarity on exactly how they want to play and pick players based on that. The numbers that matter for them may not even be the same numbers that matter to Johnny Public.

danamann

Bruno could play for any team in world football. Nonsense to say otherwise.
First I wondered how someone can have such a shocking take on Bruno but then I saw your username. Nevermind. Maybe you could also tell us which players he would replace in the top teams? there’s a reason why he failed miserably in Italy and still played in Portugal at the age of 26. He had a purple patch after he signed, boosted by his penalty stats. People have figured him out, he’s been awful for a very long time now. If united keep him on his current terms, that’s fine. He might recapture some form and be a useful squad player. But giving him a new contract now? There is literally 0 sense in that. Plus he is quite obviously very toxic in the dressing room which alone is enough for me to get rid.[/QUOTE]

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
On the numbers: There’s also the point that nobody else can really have insane chance creation numbers, or crazy G/A in midfield because… Fernandes kind of takes them all. There’s only one ball, there’s only ninety minutes. Karim Benzema was never going to put up 40+ goal seasons when Ronaldo was doing 50+ during his time at Madrid.

Matt851

In the absence of any hint of success in the pitch its hard to escape the feeling the club keeps paying overrated players big salaries just to try and show we are still a big club

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
First I wondered how someone can have such a shocking take on Bruno but then I saw your username. Nevermind. Maybe you could also tell us which players he would replace in the top teams? there’s a reason why he failed miserably in Italy and still played in Portugal at the age of 26. He had a purple patch after he signed, boosted by his penalty stats. People have figured him out, he’s been awful for a very long time now. If united keep him on his current terms, that’s fine. He might recapture some form and be a useful squad player. But giving him a new contract now? There is literally 0 sense in that. Plus he is quite obviously very toxic in the dressing room which alone is enough for me to get rid.
I don’t think there’s any evidence of him being a bad influence in the dressing room. If anything, quite the opposite. His attitude on the pitch is a different thing, and yes he’s often trying to referee the game and last season I think he was one booking away from talking himself into a one game ban (think he had picked up 4 yellow cards all for dissent and one more would have meant he literally talked his way into a cumulative ban). Still, he seems to get on well with his teammates.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You do realise he has four years on his existing contract?
So? Again, while he hasn't been brilliant recently he's still our most important player, has been a hit overall playing for us and really should be rewarded in a contract showing he's one of our best players. I might be alone in thinking that but I'd rather see our best player tied down for a while. Ever other big club would do exactly the same thing.

R'hllor

This thread might be fun read in the future, dunno why we trying to lock him this early, contract thing should be ongoing discussion during summer till half of the season, specially taken in consideration of new manager coming.

Matt851

Sigh, he already is tied down for a whole.

No successful club would be giving an out of form player with years on his existing contract a massive new contract. Particularly when the new manager might not play him.

just because we have overpaid players in the past doesn't mean we should continue to do so

I am also not sure what message handing a massive new contract to a player that has been out of form all season sends to others
So? Again, while he hasn't been brilliant recently he's still our most important player, has been a hit overall playing for us and really should be rewarded in a contract showing he's one of our best players. I might be alone in thinking that but I'd rather see our best player tied down for a while. Ever other big club would do exactly the same thing.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
First I wondered how someone can have such a shocking take on Bruno but then I saw your username. Nevermind. Maybe you could also tell us which players he would replace in the top teams? there’s a reason why he failed miserably in Italy and still played in Portugal at the age of 26. He had a purple patch after he signed, boosted by his penalty stats. People have figured him out, he’s been awful for a very long time now. If united keep him on his current terms, that’s fine. He might recapture some form and be a useful squad player. But giving him a new contract now? There is literally 0 sense in that. Plus he is quite obviously very toxic in the dressing room which alone is enough for me to get rid.
[/QUOTE]
Stay in the newbies.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Why is he getting a new deal when his existing one has 4 years left to run? I honestly cannot understand the logic behind it.

Even if his current pay is low, he still doesn't deserve 200k+. He's been very poor under Rangnick. Someone like Ten Hag might not even play him.

bucky

Liverpool's Director of Research, Ian Graham:

The thing that I’m really obsessed about is the risk-reward pay-off of passes. Some of the best passers in the game have some of the lowest pass-completion percentages in the game.

And that’s because the risk-reward pay-off is very, very skewed in football. So it’s very easy to massage your statistics and get a high pass-completion percentage by playing very conservative passes that do nothing for your team’s chance of scoring a goal.

And the passes I really love are the passes that go in behind the opposition defence, that take four or five defenders out of the game. Those passes are really hard to make. Someone who gets those passes correct half the time would be a world-class attacking midfielder.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm a fan of Bruno and a lot of the stuff written about him here is nonsense, but offering out big contract extensions when we seemingly haven't decided on a direction for the club and don't know who the next manager will be is silly.

Of course, if this is happening because we've identified the next manager and he's said he wants Bruno tied down long-term, fair enough. Same if we've spoken to everyone on our shortlist and they've all said the same. Knowing this club it seems unlikely though.
May be during interview we ask these managers. ''Do you think you can work with Bruno and Sancho into your system?''

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why is he getting a new deal when his existing one has 4 years left to run? I honestly cannot understand the logic behind it.

Even if his current pay is low, he still doesn't deserve 200k+. He's been very poor under Rangnick. Someone like Ten Hag might not even play him.
Technically it's 3 years left to run because that one year extension is ''player option''. So if Bruno says he doesn't want to active that one year extension then the club can't do it. https://www.transfermarkt.com/bruno-fernandes/profil/spieler/240306

That's what I think because why would it says ''player option''? While Sancho's one doesn't say ''player option''.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jadon-sancho/profil/spieler/401173

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Technically it's 3 years left to run because that one year extension is ''player option''. So if Bruno says he doesn't want to active that one year extension then the club can't do it. https://www.transfermarkt.com/bruno-fernandes/profil/spieler/240306

That's what I think because why would it says ''player option''? While Sancho's one doesn't say ''player option''.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jadon-sancho/profil/spieler/401173
Surprisingly it's not. https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-complete-the-signing-of-bruno-fernandes-from-sporting

He actually signed a 5 and half year contract with further 1 year option to extend, which we hold not him (its our default), back in Jan 2020. He wouldn't be a free agent until end of 2026 season. We usually wait until 2 years left on current deals to renegotiate. So we're renegotiating a year earlier.

If Bruno's form was still excellent I wouldn't think nothing of it. But doing it now, with his current poor form (he's not pulling up any trees for Portugal either), & when we haven't seen him under the new manager yet, is risking repeating more mistakes of the past we're supposed to have learnt from.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Plus he is quite obviously very toxic in the dressing room which alone is enough for me to get rid.
I don't think you know what toxic is.

Bruno's part of the group that is trying to uphold the highest standards in the club. Along with Varane, Ronaldo, Fred, and others. That makes him toxic to the bunch of coasters currently in the club sure. But thankfully we're trying to get rid of the lazy self-serving culture that's destroying us from within.

Bruno is not leaking through the media, undermining coaches to distract from their lack of standards, in order to keep their reputations intact. That is the actual toxic group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.