Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It's not the only reason but it's definitely a factor. Bruno tries to pass to Ronaldo over and over, even when there's much better options on. Anthony is the same too.

Doesn't help that Ronaldo is finished at this level too.
What was the reason in the six months prior?

Kopral Jono

Bruno is a playground footballer at heart. Capable of doing great things with the ball but when he's bad he stinks the whole place up.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Said it in the post match thread but I think he deserves to be dropped now. I think he is suffering from lack of competition and his performance level has declined. We had the same issue with de Gea and Shaw too I believe.

In his defence, Ronaldo in front of him makes his job a bit harder I think.

Nordmore

How does a player go from having incredible stats in terms of goals and assists to having such underwhelming output? I genuinely don’t get what the problem is.
Imo it's because he is a hole player. He's not a very good midfielder but a fantastic #10 with his ability to run into the "holes" he finds in the opponent's defense. And his very good finishing ability.

Problem with this is against a packed defense these "holes" are very rare. We moved from the direct counter attacking style under Ole to a more possession based style under ETH. With this current style we're often able to push opponent back to their final third (unless they're stronger than us like City). But that also makes their defense very compact and packed. No hole to move in, no goal.

Plus playing with Ronaldo doesn't help him either. Ronaldo is not a true #9. He was a fantastic goal scorer and is still very good in smelling a scoring chance but imo he doesn't know how to move in order to stretch the defense and make space for the others like Martial for example. Or he's just too lazy or too old to have the energy.

And I don't think he had a bad game today. For example if Ronaldo was a bit stronger and could finish his chance in the 53' Bruno could have an assist. And he was running a lot connecting the midfield/attack and to defend too. The true culprit today was Fred. Had Eriksen played it'd be much better imo.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Without Eriksen on the pitch, he needed to drop back into midfield to create something rather than just standing in the box like a second striker waiting for a ball that isn't going to come.

He basically did that once, which created the chance for Rashford/Fred then wandered back up front again to stand around watching Casemiro, Fred and the fullbacks knock it sideways to each other.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Apparently he was the worst player on the pitch as per some of the responses on here. Created 2 clear cut chances for Rashford and Fred.

Also apparently he aimlessly crosses into the box... I saw some cut backs to the edge that could have led to goals.

Let the agenda run.
It's funny reading this after seeing your posts in the Casemiro thread. :lol:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Someday soon Bruno won't be in the starting XI. Lets see if it goes any better than any of the other times he's been dropped since he signed.

Feels like people are crying out for a scapegoat for why we didn't win. Bruno's become the chosen one. Lets drop him for Spurs and Chelsea then and see if we suddenly start playing wonderful football. Will be very interesting to see how we defend other teams playing out without Bruno's off the ball running to make the spare man when our wingers stay high and wide.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Meh. He just hadn't been providing much for us in there IMO. Creativity, shooting all fell off a cliff this season. I think he just suits a counter attacking team more. Would be great for Atletico for example. Thought he'd be fine, but i don't think he suits Ten hag and he just doesn't help much.

Hard to reach our potential as a team when neither your #10 or your #9 can hold the ball up and are so wasteful on it.

Zico1982

It would be absolutely madness to drop Bruno at 10 for anyone but Christian Eriksen. What makes people think that Sancho is better than Bruno at 10? Jaden is fantastic at dribling but he loses posession far more than the portuguese. He also likes a couple of touches before passing the ball. Sorry people. Sancho is a winger, not a playmaker and Casemiro/Eriksen/Bruno works. Bruno is very good at finding pockets of space between the opponents midfield and defence. The problem is, that his positioning is worth nothing, when noone can pass the ball between the lines. He missed Eriksen dearly today. The only real question for me right now is if a Casemiro/McT/Eriksen-Midfield is a better option than the Casemiro/Eriksen/Bruno-setup. From seeing Eriksen for Denmark lately I would say yes. It is at least worth a try.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It would be absolutely madness to drop Bruno at 10 for anyone but Christian Eriksen. What makes people think that Sancho is better than Bruno at 10? Jaden is fantastic at dribling but he loses posession far more than the portuguese. He also likes a couple of touches before passing the ball. Sorry people. Sancho is a winger, not a playmaker and Casemiro/Eriksen/Bruno works. Bruno is very good at finding pockets of space between the opponents midfield and defence. The problem is, that his positioning is worth nothing, when noone can pass the ball between the lines. He missed Eriksen dearly today. The only real question for me right now is if a Casemiro/McT/Eriksen-Midfield is a better option than the Casemiro/Eriksen/Bruno-setup. From seeing Eriksen for Denmark lately I would say yes. It is at least worth a try.
Eriksen - Bruno works because of the former, not the latter. We can setup the team in many different ways with the options we have now.
The only question (which is actually a bigger concern than Bruno) is what to do with a striker position. I have no answer for that really.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He isn’t that good, his overall game has always been inconsistent but take away the goals/assists and you see the player he really is.

Unfortunately we decided to renew his contract so let’s enjoy having him start football games for 3 more years

Zico1982

Eriksen - Bruno works because of the former, not the latter. We can setup the team in many different ways with the options we have now.
The only question (which is actually a bigger concern than Bruno) is what to do with a striker position. I have no answer for that really.
I agree, but Eriksen is the better option at 8 and at 10 right now. The question remains. Is he better at 8 with Bruno at 10 or at ten with Casemiro/McT in the machine room? I want to see the latter option because of our striker-problems. When Eriksen moves into the last third, the link up with Sancho/Anthony instantly improves. He also creates more chances than Bruno and looses the ball less. The problem: Who gets the ball into the pockets between the lines with Eriksen at 10? It ain't gonna be Fred or McT. Ideally that would have been FDJs role, but can Casemiro do it? DvB could do it in his AJAX-days, but they are long gone. Could Bruno work at 8 or is he too much of a liability? I do not see a permanent striker problem. Martial just happens to be made of glass while Rashford and CR7 are chasing their best form. I haven't given up on any of them yet.

Mainoldo

Elano from Manchester City!!

That is Bruno. We are never going to be number one with him as our main guy.

Non Creative Creator. We was better off putting Ander Herrera there.

Deery

Dreary
Really miss his goals and assists, without those he’s a bit meh..

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I agree, but Eriksen is the better option at 8 and at 10 right now. The question remains. Is he better at 8 with Bruno at 10 or at ten with Casemiro/McT in the machine room? I want to see the latter option because of our striker-problems. When Eriksen moves into the last third, the link up with Sancho/Anthony instantly improves. He also creates more chances than Bruno and looses the ball less. The problem: Who gets the ball into the pockets between the lines with Eriksen at 10? It ain't gonna be Fred or McT. Ideally that would have been FDJs role, but can Casemiro do it? DvB could do it in his AJAX-days, but they are long gone. Could Bruno work at 8 or is he too much of a liability? I do not see a permanent striker problem. Martial just happens to be made of glass while Rashford and CR7 are chasing their best form. I haven't given up on any of them yet.
You touch on many points but I only want to argue one - we're only playing 4231 because of Bruno. He can't take any other role, he's naturally closer to second striker than a midfielder. This issue with "who picks up the ball when Eriksen plays in more advanced position" doesn't occur if we play two #8s and a fluid midfield 3. He can still drop deep and the second midfielder will take the central/more advanced role, and once we're pushing the opposition back, he can drop behind Eriksen. This is a no-go with Bruno.

Interesting mention about van de Beek, in fact the vdb we were buying a few years ago would fit very nicely alongside Eriksen in this role as he actually has a wide variety of skills (can keep the ball under pressure, but also makes clever runs into the box). Where that boy is I do not know, but we can do this setup with current squad.

Oranges038

I'd honestly take Maddison over him at this stage.

He might work as a false 9 with Eriksen behind, but then you'd miss having Eriksen further back.

pascell

His whinging to the referee after every incident is getting tiresome.

There was an instance he was taken off the ball in the final third, rolled around on the floor whilst Newcastle held it at the back instead of getting up and pressing them. He then got up and threw a tantrum at the ref.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Fecking hate his simluation theatrics, especially when we are chasing a goal. for that alone he should have been stripped of that armband and start from the bench. He' becoming another big problem in the team..

Valencia Shin Crosses

Someday soon Bruno won't be in the starting XI. Lets see if it goes any better than any of the other times he's been dropped since he signed.

Feels like people are crying out for a scapegoat for why we didn't win. Bruno's become the chosen one. Lets drop him for Spurs and Chelsea then and see if we suddenly start playing wonderful football. Will be very interesting to see how we defend other teams playing out without Bruno's off the ball running to make the spare man when our wingers stay high and wide.
You act like he’s the only player in the world that can run off the ball. He’s not the god of running. And thinking Bruno isn’t good enough doesn’t mean I want Fred in his spot instead.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
His whinging to the referee after every incident is getting tiresome.

There was an instance he was taken off the ball in the final third, rolled around on the floor whilst Newcastle held it at the back instead of getting up and pressing them. He then got up and threw a tantrum at the ref.
This is the sort of stuff for me that makes totally a wrong choice for a captain, his attitude stinks at particular moments

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Incredibly frustrating player. Needs to be dropped and I'd like to see Eriksen come on for him instead with Casemiro-McT/Fred.
He needs to be dropped at some point...

Rajma

He will be to ETH what Maguire was to Ole. I’m not sure giving him captaincy role was such a good idea when it was clear from the beginning that he won’t work in possession based style that ETH wants to implement. How long will it take before he gets dropped?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I feel like I'm in the complete minority of those who see Bruno as the most attacking midfielder in one of the wide slots of a 4-3-3, as opposed to someone who plays more advanced as a second striker or #10. His strengths are getting the ball from deeper and playing progressive passes, He's crap in tight spaces, and has none of that Lampard touch of making late runs into the box. I can't align with those who see him as a #10. When we were on the ball today, Fred was more often than not where I would want Bruno to play. In a 4-2-3-1 Bruno's a square peg in the round holes of either the #10 or double pivot. The system doesn't suit him at all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Incredibly frustrating player. Needs to be dropped and I'd like to see Eriksen come on for him instead with Casemiro-McT/Fred.
He needs to be dropped at some point...
I don’t think Bruno is good enough, but I’d start him any day of the week over seeing us line up with Casemiro/Fred or Casemiro/McTominay as our first choice pairing. That said, if we could get the Fred back from last season it could be a different story, but such pairings would be too uninspiring and painful to watch every week.

NZT-One

I feel like I'm in the complete minority of those who see Bruno as the most attacking midfielder in one of the wide slots of a 4-3-3, as opposed to someone who plays more advanced as a second striker or #10. His strengths are getting the ball from deeper and playing progressive passes, He's crap in tight spaces, and has none of that Lampard touch of making late runs into the box. I can't align with those who see him as a #10. When we were on the ball today, Fred was more often than not where I would want Bruno to play. In a 4-2-3-1 Bruno's a square peg in the round holes of either the #10 or double pivot. The system doesn't suit him at all.
Interesting idea, but I'd argue we are heavily missing a fullback for that to work. Other than that, I agree, I'd definitely try that, it even helped Pogba once. But as said, we would need an iron lung Fullback for that to work in my eyes. Plus where does this go for Antony and Sancho. They shouldn't be cemented in the starting lineup of course but I feel they aren't worse than Bruno at the moment.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Interesting idea, but I'd argue we are heavily missing a fullback for that to work. Other than that, I agree, I'd definitely try that, it even helped Pogba once. But as said, we would need an iron lung Fullback for that to work in my eyes. Plus where does this go for Antony and Sancho. They shouldn't be cemented in the starting lineup of course but I feel they aren't worse than Bruno at the moment.
In a 4-3-3 you play our normal front three, have Casemiro anchor and then play two of Bruno, Eriksen, Fred or McT either side depending on what the game requires.

We keep coming up against low blocks and just have Fernandes too high up the pitch for him to affect the game. He's not a penalty area player. He should be creating things from outside the box, not looking to get on the end of them.

NZT-One

In a 4-3-3 you play our normal front three, have Casemiro anchor and then play two of Bruno, Eriksen, Fred or McT either side depending on what the game requires.

We keep coming up against low blocks and just have Fernandes too high up the pitch for him to affect the game. He's not a penalty area player. He should be creating things from outside the box, not looking to get on the end of them.
Then I got you wrong. You were talking to put him in one of the wide slots, which usually are the attackers in a classic (Dutch) 4-3-3.

If you mean a different position, I am not convinced. Actually I think, this is the case already to a certain degree, but Bruno is as drawn to the penalty box as he is which makes it insignificant and b) I think he lacks the real intensity to play an all action midfield position (which in my opinion) this position should be filled with. I've seen it again today, he isn't even able to stop this Murphy guy who certainly isn't a strong guy or anything. Also he seems incapable of reasonable decision making which to me makes him a risk the closer he gets to our own goal.

I agree with your 2nd sentence though. But I am not sure if he would, I think, he is pretty drawn to goals and assists.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
At least he had 87% pass accuracy vs Ammonia
You forgot 7 key passes

Well and his 7 key passes and 87% pass completion.
Ignore that though.
87% pass completion with 7 key passes. Better pass completion than Casemiro, better than Martinez.
like provide by far the most key passes on the pitch (7).
7 key passes, 87% pass completion. Better completion than Casemiro and Martinez.
He’s the cafs new scapegoat.
Apparently it’s atrocious how often he gives the ball away, but any number 10 getting 87% and 7 key passes would be getting wanked off in any other side on the planet :lol:
I swear taking shit shots it’s the worst thing a United player can do, skews everything about his performance.
Honestly his stats tonight with 7 key passes, and 87% pass completion are absolutely top drawer, add that to how hard he worked, and it’s clear the caf has turned on him as the new person to point the finger at when all doesn’t go well.

reddevilz007

Bruno is only good when we play on the counter where he can go for his Hollywood passes. Otherwise, overrated player.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
I agree that bruno has been disappointing this season.
But, was he not decent in the Newcastle game?
In a game with no Eriksen, bruno was everywhere, won balls in our half. Was much tidier in possession than he normally is.
He did continuously feed the top 3 with well weighted balls and also created a couple of good chances.

Marwood

Said it in the post match thread but I think he deserves to be dropped now. I think he is suffering from lack of competition and his performance level has declined. We had the same issue with de Gea and Shaw too I believe.

In his defence, Ronaldo in front of him makes his job a bit harder I think.
I don't think its a lack of competition. It might be that if his effort level had dropped but if anything its higher than ever. So I don't think its complacency.

It's all just a bit manic. Him and the team. If anything I'd like to see a bit less running from a No.10 and hopefully then more composure amd concentration once they're on the ball.

His finishing has dropped off so much that I can only put it down to a player low on confidence or when the chance comes is gassed out from all the craziness of how we play football. Which of course he's part of.

Idxomer

The pass to Ronaldo under pressure when he could've put Sancho through on goal was inexplicable.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I love Bruno, seems a great guy and when he first came to united he was a real spark in a team that needed a spark. Because of that, we saw what we wanted to see. Don't get me wrong, the guy is capable of some stunning moments but as the quality of the surrounding players improve, I'm seeing his failings much clearer now. Frustrating as hell watching him. I think Eriksen in his more advanced role would be far more productive.

Zico1982

You touch on many points but I only want to argue one - we're only playing 4231 because of Bruno. He can't take any other role, he's naturally closer to second striker than a midfielder. This issue with "who picks up the ball when Eriksen plays in more advanced position" doesn't occur if we play two #8s and a fluid midfield 3. He can still drop deep and the second midfielder will take the central/more advanced role, and once we're pushing the opposition back, he can drop behind Eriksen. This is a no-go with Bruno.

Interesting mention about van de Beek, in fact the vdb we were buying a few years ago would fit very nicely alongside Eriksen in this role as he actually has a wide variety of skills (can keep the ball under pressure, but also makes clever runs into the box). Where that boy is I do not know, but we can do this setup with current squad.
4-2-3-1 is also Eriksens best system, but you are right. He is tactically more flexible than Bruno, although I could see Bruno on the wing with Eriksen at 10 in ten Hags system. Eriksen played with fellow dane Lasse Schöne as a double 8 at Ajax and mostly on the left wing in Tottenham, where Dele Alli took the central role. All of this worked out pretty well. I assume you would go with Casemiro at 6 and McT/Eriksen at 8 in our current squad? That is also something I would like to see. If we could get a Kante/FDJ/Höjbjerg/Bentancour type of player instead of McT, it would be an awesome midfield. Where does that leave Bruno, if we do the ETH-Ajax 4-3-3? We don't need a false 9 and is he better than Sancho/Rashford/Anthony on the wing? In games when we need to open up a low standing opposition, I would think so. Anthony and Rashford are players who need space to shine. Bruno created plenty of chances in the midweek game. Against other teams he would sit on the bench though.

By the way. DvB played 8 in an Ajax- midfield anchored by FDJ, and with Lasse Schöne on the other 8 position. Schöne had a lot of Eriksens skills (passing/long range shooting/free kicks), but he was/is a more physical player, able to win tackles. DvB does not do that. Eriksen/DvB would leave an immense workload for Casemiro as the only ball winner in midfield.

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

Borys

Statistics Wizard
4-2-3-1 is also Eriksens best system, but you are right. He is tactically more flexible than Bruno, although I could see Bruno on the wing with Eriksen at 10 in ten Hags system. Eriksen played with fellow dane Lasse Schöne as a double 8 at Ajax and mostly on the left wing in Tottenham, where Delle Ali took the central role. All of this worked out pretty well. I assume you would go with Casemiro at 6 and McT/Eriksen at 8 in our current squad? That is also something I would like to see. If we could get a Kante/FDJ/Höjbjerg/Bentancour type of player instead of McT, it would be an awesome midfield. Where does that leave Bruno, if we do the ETH-Ajax 4-3-3? We don't need a false 9 and is he better than Sancho/Rashford/Anthony on the wing? In games when we need to open up a low standing opposition, I would think so. Anthony and Rashford are players who need space to shine. Bruno created plenty of chances in the midweek game. Against other teams he would sit on the bench though.

By the way. DvB played 8 in an Ajax- midfield anchored by FDJ, and with Lasse Schöne on the other 8 position. Schöne had a lot of Eriksens skills (passing/long range shooting/free kicks), but he was/is a more physical player, able to win tackles. DvB does not do that. Eriksen/DvB would leave an immense workload for Casemiro as the only ball winner in midfield.
Casemiro anchoring behind Eriksen +1 (be that Fred, McTominay, dvb, or Iqbal) is far more balanced both offensively and defensively than two man midfield behind Bruno playing his game. I am not worried about that at all.
What I am worried about is in 433 striker has to be a bit more versatile and able to play with his back to goal. This system obviously plays to our wide forwards strengths (as they are not traditional wingers), but we can't play that with Rashford up top, Ronaldo isn't even a part of the discussion. This is why I think ETH insists on this setup with no10 behind Ronaldo.

It would be totally different with Martial fit, but for now there's no obvious solution. I wish we try something different though, because current 4231 reliant on Bruno is not something to build on.

Hammondo

Apparently he was the worst player on the pitch as per some of the responses on here. Created 2 clear cut chances for Rashford and Fred.

Also apparently he aimlessly crosses into the box... I saw some cut backs to the edge that could have led to goals.

Let the agenda run.
Thats not an impressive video. The team we played against was poor and nothing in that video was stand out, a good portion of it was not even good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.