Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
In the last min his decision to pass the ball central when he had easy option next to him must be the dumbest decision this season, luckily didn't cost the game.
The thing is he did exactly the same thing when we were defending a 1 goal lead against Liverpool and Southampton too and gave the ball away in injury time (in both of those cases he was trying to play Ronaldo in).

Think generally he has been good recently but these moments are so frustrating/careless for someone with so much ability.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The thing is he did exactly the same thing when we were defending a 1 goal lead against Liverpool and Southampton too and gave the ball away in injury time (in both of those cases he was trying to play Ronaldo in).

Think generally he has been good recently but these moments are so frustrating/careless for someone with so much ability.
Yeah, I think he also had easy option in few games but still tried to pick Ronaldo, it's very frustrating to watch.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
His technical ability on the ball isn't actually that great. What works for him is his timing of runs, tenacity and general finishing in the last third. He's like Lampard at West Ham, before he moved to Chelsea and worked out how to control a game.

youngrell

Tough game for him, never really got into it, which is no surprise given how West Ham defend + Rice and Soucek deep too.

Let's hope all the detractors are right and we do ok without him next game.

romufc

Disappointing game for him. He needs to keep things simple when we get to the closing stages of the game but lets be honest, he is being run to the ground, playing game in game out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Tough game for him, never really got into it, which is no surprise given how West Ham defend + Rice and Soucek deep too.

Let's hope all the detractors are right and we do ok without him next game.
We might do ok. But that would be a first. Since he signed for United on the very rare occasion he’s not available we’ve struggled. Every single time. Having Eriksen in the team means it might be different this time. We’ll see. The odds are against it and anyone expecting a big improvement is living in cloud cuckoo land. Wait and see.

youngrell

We might do ok. But that would be a first. Since he signed for United on the very rare occasion he’s not available we’ve struggled. Every single time. Having Eriksen in the team means it might be different this time. We’ll see. The odds are against it and anyone expecting a big improvement is living in cloud cuckoo land. Wait and see.
Tend to agree with you. I understand the frustration from time to time but people get way too heated with this guy.

youngrell

Having him not even on the bench is a big blow. In the past, whenever he was rested we looked completely toothless, only to suddenly look twice the threat when he came on as a sub.
Imagine we'll see a lot of "I told you so's" whichever way it goes! Will be happy to be wrong if it means another W for the team.

roonster09

Scout
I think it was only against Real Sociedad he was on bench, EtH didn't like what he was getting from others, he brought on Bruno at half time.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Isn't that something totally expected though? We played typical 4231 setup with midfielders sitting deep and Bruno at the center of things 90% of games. We never really worked on any different setup, so I would expect us to struggle on those occasions. I remember we did have a few good games with Pogba on the left, what looked promising but can't remember if Bruno was playing and if yes, than what role (RW?).

This is the issue with this team that we either play 4231 (although we do it a bit differently now as Eriksen joins attack sometimes), or just with no structure at all (like vs West Ham when we changed midfielders but the front 3 was doing just random stuff).

IMO this is a mistake because Bruno form does not justify putting him in the center of THIS team at all costs (and making others bend to take a role they are not exactly suited to), considering we have much more talent in every position compared to previous seasons.

crossy1686

career ending
He just needs to be smarter. We know he has the ability but the way he applies himself is like a kid playing football sometimes. If he had Eriksen's footballing intelligence he'd be absolutely world class.

Rossa

It was the same on the very few times Ole tried to rest him. Badly missed and turned the game round from the bench.
Think you are right. He may have some bad spells here and there, and he does the occasional brainfart with his passing (as did Scholes mind you), but he works his socks off both in attack and defense. He is always available for a pass, and he links up so well outside the opposition box. He tends to be involved in most of our goals one way or another, just like he was third last on the goal yesterday. Put Eriksen or VDB in there instead of him and you lose so much tenacity, mobility and aggression. Eriksen may have the same level of passing range, or even better as well as creativity, but he's not the same fighter.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I don’t think so. Which games were these?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Think you are right. He may have some bad spells here and there, and he does the occasional brainfart with his passing (as did Scholes mind you), but he works his socks off both in attack and defense. He is always available for a pass, and he links up so well outside the opposition box. He tends to be involved in most of our goals one way or another, just like he was third last on the goal yesterday. Put Eriksen or VDB in there instead of him and you lose so much tenacity, mobility and aggression. Eriksen may have the same level of passing range, or even better as well as creativity, but he's not the same fighter.
It's not a matter of his quality as an individual, it's more about how the team has to be set up to accommodate him - and if it's worth it. Bruno plays in #10 role what requires Eriksen and Casemiro to play in midfield two, what is far from ideal. Especially in games against dynamic and intense opposition like West Ham, Newcastle etc.
I don't think we play 4231 with one player in the center if Bruno is out, we just switch to a more fluid 3 man midfield where Fred takes over "tenacity, mobility and aggression", while Eriksen (who has been our creative force this season) gets more freedom and less defensive duties. Personally I think Bruno energy is the reason he plays so much in this team, I don't think he's been that creative/ or creative enough in his position this season. Probably would be easier for him to have Martial up front, but when he's out we need to play Ronaldo, and when we play Ronaldo we need Bruno to make up for his energy levels and press from the up, so in the end it's Catch 22.

roonster09

Scout
Isn't that something totally expected though? We played typical 4231 setup with midfielders sitting deep and Bruno at the center of things 90% of games. We never really worked on any different setup, so I would expect us to struggle on those occasions. I remember we did have a few good games with Pogba on the left, what looked promising but can't remember if Bruno was playing and if yes, than what role (RW?).

This is the issue with this team that we either play 4231 (although we do it a bit differently now as Eriksen joins attack sometimes), or just with no structure at all (like vs West Ham when we changed midfielders but the front 3 was doing just random stuff).

IMO this is a mistake because Bruno form does not justify putting him in the center of THIS team at all costs (and making others bend to take a role they are not exactly suited to), considering we have much more talent in every position compared to previous seasons.
Others are not bent to accommodate Bruno, as per manager Eriksen is more suited in deeper role to progress the game. Even when Fred played, he played ahead of Eriksen in attacking role.

Bruno plays on merit and he isn't like Ronaldo where team should carry him, he is one of the hardest working player in the team. Also he plays in more attacking role as his movement is one of the best in the team, to find spaces.

roonster09

Scout
It was the same on the very few times Ole tried to rest him. Badly missed and turned the game round from the bench.
I think he was rested/benched against West Ham away, we looked completely toothless. Bruno came on and completely changed the game. IIRC he created 9-10 chances in one half.

Idxomer

That's not the point, its performance without Bruno.
How many games didn't he start since he moved to United?

The sample is way too small to reach any conclusions, especially for a team that's very used to playing with Bruno.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Others are not bent to accommodate Bruno, as per manager Eriksen is more suited in deeper role to progress the game. Even when Fred played, he played ahead of Eriksen in attacking role.

Bruno plays on merit and he isn't like Ronaldo where team should carry him, he is one of the hardest working player in the team. Also he plays in more attacking role as his movement is one of the best in the team, to find spaces.
Eriksen is suited to a midfield where he has less defensive duties and more options to join the attack (while still being part of midfield). In Bruno-centric team this is not happening as often as it should, as he has a lot of defensive duties. If we play a proper midfield 3, Eriksen can still progress the game and support the buildup, because we simply don't play the 4231 system with two midfielders behind Bruno. Obviously playing Casemiro in midfield two is also not ideal. It's still OK, but just OK. I think we can do better.

I have no issue with Bruno working hard and providing movement, he's good at it. I just don't think that's enough to build the team around him and play the same setup week in week out.

roonster09

Scout
How many games didn't he start since he moved to United?

The sample is way too small to reach any conclusions, especially for a team that's very used to playing with Bruno.
True, just going by the games he didn't play and how we struggled.

I hope that's not the case even now, we shouldn't reply on individual players.

romufc

Eriksen is suited to a midfield where he has less defensive duties and more options to join the attack (while still being part of midfield). In Bruno-centric team this is not happening as often as it should, as he has a lot of defensive duties. If we play a proper midfield 3, Eriksen can still progress the game and support the buildup, because we simply don't play the 4231 system with two midfielders behind Bruno. Obviously playing Casemiro in midfield two is also not ideal. It's still OK, but just OK. I think we can do better.

I have no issue with Bruno working hard and providing movement, he's good at it. I just don't think that's enough to build the team around him and play the same setup week in week out.
I dont get this Bruno centric team thing. Bruno actually covers alot of ground and helps out alot defensively, from pressing and tracking back.

Why is Casemiro not ideal?

roonster09

Scout

When Bruno was benched, EtH played Eriksen in midfield and Fred in attacking role. What me, you think is different from how EtH sees Eriksen's best role. Bruno is not the one stopping Eriksen playing as AM, it's EtH.

EtH had no issue dropping any of the player, if he thought Eriksen was better suited as AM then Bruno would have been rotated or even moved to wing in few games.

Also midfield 2 is on paper, it's more like 4-1-4-1 type set up with Casemiro dropping deep. When he attacks, Eriksen drops deep. It's similar to how Arsenal are playing, on paper Xhaka is in midfield 2 alongside Partey but that's not the case on the pitch.

We haven't built around anyone, for the first time we look like 11 players playing as a team without too much reliance on individuals. Bruno is moved to wide right regularly now after subs, not sure how we can say team is built around him. Why can't we say team is built around Eriksen?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I dont get this Bruno centric team thing. Bruno actually covers alot of ground and helps out alot defensively, from pressing and tracking back.

Why is Casemiro not ideal?
It's Bruno centric because there he is usually the most advanced player between midfield two and attackers. He gets a lot of freedom to roam, but when we're caught it's on Eriksen and Casemiro to cover central areas, as Bruno is often high up. He works hard but this system I think we sacrifice too much for Bruno, who is a bit hot and cold.

I would rather play Casemiro in pivot role, the way he played for Madrid for years. He still does very good job, it's just he's not dynamic enough these days to get back fast when we're in negative transition.

His technical ability on the ball isn't actually that great. What works for him is his timing of runs, tenacity and general finishing in the last third. He's like Lampard at West Ham, before he moved to Chelsea and worked out how to control a game.
Technical ability isn’t great? Some of his assists are out of this word technically.

Rossa

It's not a matter of his quality as an individual, it's more about how the team has to be set up to accommodate him - and if it's worth it. Bruno plays in #10 role what requires Eriksen and Casemiro to play in midfield two, what is far from ideal. Especially in games against dynamic and intense opposition like West Ham, Newcastle etc.
I don't think we play 4231 with one player in the center if Bruno is out, we just switch to a more fluid 3 man midfield where Fred takes over "tenacity, mobility and aggression", while Eriksen (who has been our creative force this season) gets more freedom and less defensive duties. Personally I think Bruno energy is the reason he plays so much in this team, I don't think he's been that creative/ or creative enough in his position this season. Probably would be easier for him to have Martial up front, but when he's out we need to play Ronaldo, and when we play Ronaldo we need Bruno to make up for his energy levels and press from the up, so in the end it's Catch 22.
According to stats, he's fifth in chances created in the PL this season and 6th in expected assists, so he's still contributing in that aspect. Perhaps not as much as in previous seasons where he was top of the league in that respect. I also think that he can definitely play as an 8, so not sure why he has to play as a 10. He's definitely more than mobile enough and contributes both ways. I think replacing Bruno with Fred would be a massive downgrade.

BTW, Andreas Pereira is second in chances created...

Rossa

When was the team built around Bruno?

Idxomer

True, just going by the games he didn't play and how we struggled.

I hope that's not the case even now, we shouldn't reply on individual players.
I think we'll definitely miss his workrate. I don't think Eriksen has been better than him at keeping the ball but he loses it in a less annoying way if that makes sense. Personally, I hope we go for 3 in midfield without an obvious number 10, maybe with Donny in his old Ajax role.

roonster09

Scout
I think we'll definitely miss his workrate. I don't think Eriksen has been better than him at keeping the ball but he loses it in a less annoying way if that makes sense. Personally, I hope we go for 3 in midfield without an obvious number 10, maybe with Donny in his old Ajax role.
Going by videos, Donny was a 10 at Ajax, he was more of a runner to create space than the one who gets the ball and plays passes.

I agree with the first part, Eriksen also loses ball but in less annoying way, sometimes you have to wonder what goes in Bruno's head when he tries some of the dumbest things on pitch.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
When Bruno was benched, EtH played Eriksen in midfield and Fred in attacking role. What me, you think is different from how EtH sees Eriksen's best role. Bruno is not the one stopping Eriksen playing as AM, it's EtH.

EtH had no issue dropping any of the player, if he thought Eriksen was better suited as AM then Bruno would have been rotated or even moved to wing in few games.

Also midfield 2 is on paper, it's more like 4-1-4-1 type set up with Casemiro dropping deep. When he attacks, Eriksen drops deep. It's similar to how Arsenal are playing, on paper Xhaka is in midfield 2 alongside Partey but that's not the case on the pitch.

We haven't built around anyone, for the first time we look like 11 players playing as a team without too much reliance on individuals. Bruno is moved to wide right regularly now after subs, not sure how we can say team is built around him. Why can't we say team is built around Eriksen?
That is true. Eriksen playing AM is still part of the midfield, while Bruno is more a part of attacking formation. That means Eriksen needs to do more defensive work than I think he should if we had more balanced setup. Bruno also rarely drops deeper in the buildup, what sometimes results in game passing him by like yesterday.

When was the team built around Bruno?
When he came here the team was build around him, to a very good effect. Now we have improved massively in terms of quality all around, so there's no need to do that. I feel like we are going a bit too much into that direction, don't you think? He played 95% of all available playing time this season, he's almost never subbed - it's OK if ETH thinks Bruno has to play at all time and at all cost, but I think his performances don't justify that. He could use a rest as well.

This. This is my point, I feel like playing Bruno forces us into an unbalanced setup. And although we are getting the results, we're definitely not creating enough chances and #10 gets (most of) the blame for that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If we're sticking with Ronaldo up front then Donny is the best choice of #10. Ronaldo's tendency to go wandering from the centre forward position demands someone from midfield runs in behind to make space. Bruno has been trying to do this, mostly looking like a poundshop Thomas Muller. Donny is much better at making these kind of runs. Eriksen will have the same issues that Bruno has playing off Ronaldo and Eriksen lacks Bruno's capability for physicality, which was seen in the second half at Chelsea when he went to #10 (and to some extent yesterday). One of the reasons Ten Hag keeps Bruno on is because of his endurance. He ran out of puff yesterday towards the end. However, for the most part, Bruno just keeps working.

arthurka

This thread is bonkers... Bruno isn't intelligent, lacks technical ability and what not. It's just ludicrous how much hate he gets here. The hardest working player in the team and absolutely key to any attacking movement of this team. Yeah but he isn't good enough.

Valencia Shin Crosses

This thread is bonkers... Bruno isn't intelligent, lacks technical ability and what not. It's just ludicrous how much hate he gets here. The hardest working player in the team and absolutely key to any attacking movement of this team. Yeah but he isn't good enough.
You do realize any #10 is key for the attacking movement of any team right? That's like saying Martinez is key to any good defense we can roll out there. What's ludicrous is how people thinking he gets "hate" as if people are lighting flares outisde his house when in reality we are just criticizing a pretty shit performance against West Ham. There doesn't have to be this grand defense of Bruno (or any other player) bringing up their past achievements from previous teams just because someone says he played poorly in a certain game. People used to do it with Maguire too earlier on when we'd have a solid defensive record but it was clear he wasn't good enough for where our ambitions were as a club.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Against West Ham it was always going to be a tough one for him. Which is quite strange because these are the kinda games he comes alive.
Like I always say, he is not my cup of tea but he is good at what he does. Just don’t appreciate what he does in the context of how I want my team to play.
Ah well. Shame he is suspended for the next game, need to figure who I’ll be bashing during the game. Oh! Marie Maguire/Sancho, no worries.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The eve of what I think was Bruno’s best ever game for United. Hoping for a repeat again on Thursday. His performance bs Sociedad away last year was incredible stuff though, if that was ‘his level’ we’d firstly be a far better side but we’d also be talking about a Kevin de Bruyne kind of player.

arthurka

You do realize any #10 is key for the attacking movement of any team right? That's like saying Martinez is key to any good defense we can roll out there. What's ludicrous is how people thinking he gets "hate" as if people are lighting flares outisde his house when in reality we are just criticizing a pretty shit performance against West Ham. There doesn't have to be this grand defense of Bruno (or any other player) bringing up their past achievements from previous teams just because someone says he played poorly in a certain game. People used to do it with Maguire too earlier on when we'd have a solid defensive record but it was clear he wasn't good enough for where our ambitions were as a club.
Oh please if this team had a decent striker he would have doubled digit assist by now. But yeah let's blame Bruno. He is absolutely integral to this team, he had a bad game vs West ham but so did most of our non defenders. It's not like I am his biggest fan by any means but I just find this ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.