g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bruno Fernandes image 8

Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

It seemed like Shaw was keeping an eye on the other far right player, and James was on Martinez. Anyway, almost every goal is defenders fault. I don't like it when i was a defender also.
Why would Martinez be keeping eyes on a player from the back post in that position? That's on Shaw. Martinez was covering the penalty spot, Vinicius and the 6 yard box.

That whole sequence is a catalogue of errors and whilst they all should have done better, Martinez probably has the least blame there.

Sliced switch from Eriksen, casual touch from Bruno (should have known a defender was coming in and I thought it was odd he didn't attempt to block/dive in with a second touch), Malacia getting sucked in and then Lindelof backtracking 20 yards into his own box when he knew Martinez was behind him (he looks over his shoulder) AND can see Casemiro coming to give help. Lindelof then faintly jogging across with no intention, arms behind his back and tamely letting that cross go in is typical of him in that situation (Crystal Palace a few years ago at Old Trafford just off the top of my head).

I know your original intention was to say it wasn't a massive mistake on Bruno, so all of this is a bit out of context but your take on Martinez is wrong.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
On the goal, seems really harsh to blame Malacia. If Bruno controls that like he would 9/10 times, Malacia has created an excellent opportunity for a 2 on 1 against the full back. I would hope Malacia is gambling a bit there tbh.

Shaw does everything right until the moment it matters tbh. He tracks James, gets into position but then inexpicably stops. Few players on Earth are going to out accelerate James over 3 yards.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Why would Martinez be keeping eyes on a player from the back post in that position? That's on Shaw. Martinez was covering the penalty spot, Vinicius and the 6 yard box.

That whole sequence is a catalogue of errors and whilst they all should have done better, Martinez probably has the least blame there.

Sliced switch from Eriksen, casual touch from Bruno (should have known a defender was coming in and I thought it was odd he didn't attempt to block/dive in with a second touch), Malacia getting sucked in and then Lindelof backtracking 20 yards into his own box when he knew Martinez was behind him (he looks over his shoulder) AND can see Casemiro coming to give help. Lindelof then faintly jogging across with no intention, arms behind his back and tamely letting that cross go in is typical of him in that situation (Crystal Palace a few years ago at Old Trafford just off the top of my head).

I know your original intention was to say it wasn't a massive mistake on Bruno, so all of this is a bit out of context but your take on Martinez is wrong.
I looked at it again, yes you're right. James was Shaw's. But it's just weird when you see how the cross was. It was such a nothing cross, and seemed like our players just ball watching. Shaw was (wrongly) expecting Martinez to clear it, but James was anticipating otherwise like any forward would do.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
On the goal, seems really harsh to blame Malacia. If Bruno controls that like he would 9/10 times, Malacia has created an excellent opportunity for a 2 on 1 against the full back. I would hope Malacia is gambling a bit there tbh.

Shaw does everything right until the moment it matters tbh. He tracks James, gets into position but then inexpicably stops. Few players on Earth are going to out accelerate James over 3 yards.
Yeah. Bruno made a tit by losing the ball. Looks like he had the ball, looked up up front try to see opportunity, but split second too slow. I think Malacia did the right thing of trying to go forward and inside.

Last edited:

city-puma

If it doesn't take a deflection off of Lidelof, Martinez clears it and it is that slight touch that take it just a bit to far for him to deal with. Where as Luke Shaw doesn't do the basic thing that all young defenders are taught and try to get goal side of the attacker. If he simply carries on his run for another couple of yards then he gets there before James.
If Shaw had done what you said, he would end up colliding with DDG I think.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Man, he lost the ball in opponent's final third area. There were 3/4th of the field behind him, and we had plenty of players there.

It shouldn't be a goal with that kind of low cross. Martinez lost easily to James. It's as simple as that.

On rewatching it, I’m going to retract my earlier comments as I was clearly wrong, Bruno actually doesn’t miss control the ball. He actually gets the ball under control, then bizarrely decides to do nothing for a second with the defender initially standing off him. He has a passing option in Malacia and the entire team is pushing forwards. As soon as the defender decides to step in and play the pass we are in big trouble.

It’s actually the worst thing he could have done in the situation. He’d have been better letting it run out of play.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
On rewatching it, I’m going to retract my earlier comments as I was clearly wrong, Bruno actually doesn’t miss control the ball. He actually gets the ball under control, then bizarrely decides to do nothing for a second with the defender initially standing off him. He has a passing option in Malacia and the entire team is pushing forwards. As soon as the defender decides to step in and play the pass we are in big trouble.

It’s actually the worst thing he could have done in the situation. He’d have been better letting it run out of play.
He paused to look options to pass, thought that he had more time. Not really the worst thing, man. He didn't try anything cute or outrageous. And it was on the opponent final third area he lost the ball.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He paused to look options to pass, thought that he had more time. Not really the worst thing, man. He didn't try anything cute or outrageous. And it was on the opponent final third area he lost the ball.
‘He didn’t try anything’ is the problem. I’m not sure what ‘cute or outrageous’ has to do with anything. 2003-7 Ronaldo could’ve done something outrageous there and got the ball to the fullback, or Ronaldinho etc. It’s a weird mentality to me that is rife within the English game, if he had tried something outrageous to get the ball to the fullback it should be lambasted but it’s ok because he does ‘nothing’ just keeps the ball in and watches as the defender stops then steps in.

As for the final third, I’d usually agree. If we were building up the play in the opponents half with controlled possession then it’s no problem at all. It happens. But allowing the defender to take the ball unopposed when the entire team is rushing forward on the counter is brain dead. We ended up getting countered while countering.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
‘He didn’t try anything’ is the problem. I’m not sure what ‘cute or outrageous’ has to do with anything. 2003-7 Ronaldo could’ve done something outrageous there and got the ball to the fullback, or Ronaldinho etc. It’s a weird mentality to me that is rife within the English game, if he had tried something outrageous to get the ball to the fullback it should be lambasted but it’s ok because he does ‘nothing’ just keeps the ball in and watches as the defender stops then steps in.

As for the final third, I’d usually agree. If we were building up the play in the opponents half with controlled possession then it’s no problem at all. It happens. But allowing the defender to take the ball unopposed when the entire team is rushing forward on the counter is brain dead. We ended up getting countered while countering.
He looked for options to pass, got the ball nicked off him before able to pass. As simple as that in my eyes. But you see things that I can't see. Fair enough, i guess?

You may not have a problem with player doing cute thing but lose the ball? He did a backheel and lost the ball once, and people remember that, more than his good cross-field pass to Shaw on 1st half that changed attacking phase. Or his pass that led to Martial's one-one-one with Gk.

Last edited:

Lyng

Malacia was wide open. Instead of stopping he should pass that first time. that having been said, even with that mistake we shouldnt conceide that goal. Blaming Bruno for that is weird.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Personally it looked to me like he overcompensated with his touch to avoid it going out for a throw in and lost his balance. Also, I don't know why Shaw was holding up his hands in frustration when he was the one who lost James in the first place. He started off goal side of James ffs.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Malacia was wide open. Instead of stopping he should pass that first time. that having been said, even with that mistake we shouldnt conceide that goal. Blaming Bruno for that is weird.
He probably should. or like Ninja said, he kinda lost a bit balance there. But who knows. He didn't have a good 2nd half.

Glorio

I want rid of Ronaldo but there's nothing in that Bruno vid. Indeed the press are trying to create something there.

Ronaldo is someone he sees everyday while Felix and co are people he doesn't. Pretty sure he's inwardly disappointed but will try to focus on the WC.
It's Dalot and Antony I wonder about as they indeed look like lovestruck puppies whenever they're in the presence of his royal mightiness

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I want rid of Ronaldo but there's nothing in that Bruno vid. Indeed the press are trying to create something there.

Ronaldo is someone he sees everyday while Felix and co are people he doesn't. Pretty sure he's inwardly disappointed but will try to focus on the WC.
It's Dalot and Antony I wonder about as they indeed look like lovestruck puppies whenever they're in the presence of his royal mightiness
Nothing at all. Nothing frosty about it.

TheReligion

Abusive

Dalot certainly didn’t look lovestruck in the photo..

And Ronaldo literally had to force Bruno to shake his hand. He wasn’t interested.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He looked for options to pass, got the ball nicked off him before able to pass. As simple as that in my eyes. But you see things that I can't see. Fair enough, i guess?

You may not have a problem with player doing cute thing but lose the ball? He did a backheel and lost the ball once, and people remember that, more than his good cross-field pass to Shaw on 1st half that changed attacking phase. Or his pass that led to Martial's one-one-one with Gk.
I’d rather he did something than nothing.

Trex

Nothing at all. Nothing frosty about it.
Everything about their body language says tension. This is my personal interpretation.
First Bruno touches Rinaldo upper arm and was looking to walk past without further conversation. Ronaldo strenches his hands as if to say wouldn't you shake me. Bruno indulges, and then the brief conversation with Bruno still walking away.
My conclusion is that Bruno was trying to stay cordial whereas Ronaldo was looking for validation.

the_cliff

Everything about their body language says tension. This is my personal interpretation.
First Bruno touches Rinaldo upper arm and was looking to walk past without further conversation. Ronaldo strenches his hands as if to say wouldn't you shake me. Bruno indulges, and then the brief conversation with Bruno still walking away.
My conclusion is that Bruno was trying to stay cordial whereas Ronaldo was looking for validation.
Also if you look properly, Bruno didn't even look Ronaldo in the eyes, was definitely trying to avoid eye contact. If that was the first time seeing since he was in Manchester it doesn't bode well for Portugal's team spirit before the world cup.

United fans are rightly pissed off by Ronaldo's interview and behaviour. It's really confusing why the Portuguese fans aren't pissed off too, to come out with all this drama right before the world cup must surely be a distraction for them and their preparations. It's literally a week before the world cup, there's no football and the only thing everyone is talking about is Ronaldo....

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Personally it looked to me like he overcompensated with his touch to avoid it going out for a throw in and lost his balance. Also, I don't know why Shaw was holding up his hands in frustration when he was the one who lost James in the first place. He started off goal side of James ffs.
It's so obvious that's what happened. Some absolutely mental takes in this thread.

Scottynaldinho

Just liked Bruno a little bit more after seeing that clip
I've always loved his passion and how animated he's sometimes.

The hate he gets here for random things is uncalled for. He was getting bashed after Fulham game as being the worst player on the pitch.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's so obvious that's what happened. Some absolutely mental takes in this thread.
I must say, that has happened to me a lot of times over the course of my life playing football. Maybe there are loads on here who play football with perfect balance and first touch.

Glorio

Doing the business so far in the absence of he who shall not be named

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
2 goals against Nigeria so now it’s definitely feck Bruno 4 lyfe.

Milo2035

Why's his English so good ? He spent less time in England than Mourinho or Ronaldo.

MattofManchester

Man, he lost the ball in opponent's final third area. There were 3/4th of the field behind him, and we had plenty of players there.

It shouldn't be a goal with that kind of low cross. Martinez lost easily to James. It's as simple as that.

I remember thinking the same during the game when watching this, and that is, when you look at Lindelof, you just know the ball is gonna go past him like he's not there.

Kaos

Why's his English so good ? He spent less time in England than Mourinho or Ronaldo.
Some people just have a natural knack for picking up languages. Bruno clearly is one of them. Its also a testament to general intelligence. Which explains why Ronaldo is still a bit dodgy.

I'd give Mourinho the benefit of the doubt since he can speak around half a dozen languages at conversational level down to his journeyman nature in the managerial world.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd give Mourinho the benefit of the doubt since he can speak around half a dozen languages at conversational level down to his journeyman nature in the managerial world.
Mourinho's first job in football was literally to be a translator for Bobby Robson at Barcelona. So that's not really surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.