Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

In both cases the initial ref decision was the right one, HOWEVER once you do look at the VAR I think it's difficult not to give a red in both situations.
"Hands around the neck" was just stupid from Casemiro, and the tackle was mostly bad luck the way it went.
But that's what made it so frustrating for me, personally. I don't think it was a 'clear and obvious error' from the referee, especially after giving a yellow card for the tackle in the Soton match, so I don't know why VAR got involved. And as you say, probably gave the referee no choice.

It's just so annoying when we've had plenty of penalty shouts, especially at home this season, be waved away when the replay showed that actually it was 60/40 a penalty, at least. If the ref had given it VAR would never overturn it, because even though it's on the soft side, some kind of offense against the attacker has occurred so it's not an 'error'.

We're probably not the only team this keeps happening to, but we seem to be stuck in a vicious cycle where referees keep leaving big decisions to VAR, and VAR does nothing because they're told not to get involved where possible. So you end up in a situation where nobody is making any kind of instinctive decision. It's all just very passive refereeing now.

croadyman

Yes.

However if he gets a yellow tonight then he'll miss the 2nd leg against Sevilla, or if he gets that yellow in the 2nd leg then he'll miss the following European match.
So it won't be wiped out until Semi Final?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I believe so yes. The wording seems to be a bit iffy where it sounds like there's a chance that reaching the limit in the second quarter-final game wouldn't carry a suspension into the semi, but I'd be surprised if that's the case.
It is indeed the case. He can be suspended for the first leg of the semi but you can't be suspended for the final through yellow card accumulation.

Man Utd 2:2 Sevilla

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Casemiro's use of the ball in the second half was really poor. Considering how much we rely on him to stabilise our play, it was shocking.

The United

I actually think he is a great DM, but it is a huge problem for us to retain the ball in the middle. His passing was just very careless.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Casemiro's use of the ball in the second half was really poor. Considering how much we rely on him to stabilise our play, it was shocking.
Yeah, his short passing after half time was diabolical. For someone who came with a reputation for keeping his passing simple it’s actually incredible how bad he is at completing simple passes. It’s actually bizarre to watch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, his short passing after half time was diabolical. For someone who came with a reputation for keeping his passing simple it’s actually incredible how bad he is at completing simple passes. It’s actually bizarre to watch.
He’s given too much leeway to do it. We desperately need a Kroos/Modric type of short passing virtuoso to take ownership of the ball from him, our defenders, and calm it the feck down and circulate it around a bit. The Frenkie type of midfield is so desperately needed.

Bobski

He was sluggish for most of the game, had a decent 20 in the middle of the second before gassing. Not unexpected given how many games he has missed recently.

The passing is just strange, he will concentrate and pull out a succession of beauts then half lazily try to play a simple first time pass and duff it off his heel yards away from where he intended.

Idxomer

He kept it simple because Modric and Kroos were always around him to take the responsibility off him.

Idxomer

Well they can’t do that if he can’t pass the ball to them. And tonight he was consistently missing team mates who were 5 to 10 yards away. It was weird how badly he was passing the ball.
The thing is I have seen him pass the ball much worse than tonight. He was atrocious in that aspect in the League Cup final for example. I believe part of it is he feels more rushed at United for some reason and maybe he just needs glasses because yes some of those passes are inexplicable.

Sylar

The thing is I have seen him pass the ball much worse than tonight. He was atrocious in that aspect in the League Cup final for example. I believe part of it is he feels more rushed at United for some reason and maybe he just needs glasses because yes some of those passes are inexplicable.
That game and this game are the first after some time out (suspensions) right?

Superunknown

I'm putting this down to how on-off it has been with him lately due to suspensions. That has really disrupted his and our rhythm.

Idxomer

That game and this game are the first after some time out (suspensions) right?
Yes, but his passing accuracy has only been better than 80% twice since the World Cup with multiple times going under 70%.

always_hoping

Was in wars tonight, How the Sevilla lad didn't get a red for a tackle that was worse than the one Casemiro made v Southampton highlights the lack of consistency with officials. A few poor passes aside if United are to secure top 4 and win another trophy Casemiro will play important part in it.

Glorio

Feel like he didn't move freely after that Lamela challenge. From that point on, he seemed very much like the Anfield version.

In both games, it felt like he was carrying a knock, but decided to play on.

ETH has said about him that he needs games to keep sharp (similar to Rooney actually), so there's that. Others like Varane seem to be able to just drop into the deep end, and play like they've never been away

M Bison

Supports
York City
The thing I’m finding bizarre is how he dives in and commits himself. Even the Lamela one, he was never getting that and my initial worry was he’d taken him out, he needs to stay on his feet a bit more imo.

poleglass red

couple of games before his suspension he wasn't good either. Possibly season catching up with him. I was hoping the break give him time to recharge but he looked a bit sluggish again. Maybe just needs a game or two to get back up to speed. Fact is, we should have shut that game down in 1st half, but we didn't. That should have been a great game to ease himself back in, but we made it more difficult than needed.

El Jefe

His performance yesterday is how he looked earlier in the season.

I knew he'd be off the pace after being out as long as he was. I think for the type of game he plays, he needs to play consistently or we see performances like yesterday where he was frustratingly sloppy.

Let's just hope he gets back to speed quickly.

OrcaFat

The thing I’m finding bizarre is how he dives in and commits himself. Even the Lamela one, he was never getting that and my initial worry was he’d taken him out, he needs to stay on his feet a bit more imo.
Ha ha. Someone should teach this chump how to play DM.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The extended breaks don't help but he was sluggish again and hasn't been at his best for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.