Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Well that's a lot of whataboutery and I'm not sure how you being happy to be insulted by your co-workers has anything to do with it. You can allow people to call you anything you like but I'm not sure that's going to be acceptable for every immigrant in every workplace.
Perhaps it would be better if you actually read the context instead of the words. I didn't say I was happy being insulted, I said it's used as a term of affection. Of course it's not going to be accepted by every immigrant in every workplace and if someone used those words for someone they didn't know then things change but using it for people or workmates that you're close to (in Cavanis case) then people who don't have a clue about other people's customs blow it up out of all proportion. Which is exactly what's happening in this case.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Not surprised. Don't think the club fighting against this is going to work either. Best we can hope for is that he doesn't get a long ban.
I hope the club appeal it purely out of principal. He didn't do what's he's charged with.

Accepting it but saying "we do so reluctantly"... "still think no offence".. "want to move on" sends out wrong message i.m.o.

Stacks

Really doesn't make any difference if the guy is Caucasian. You cannot use language that people will feel is racist no matter who you are talking too.

This is an unfortunate incident I don't believe there was anything racist intended I don't think too many do if any.

However I can see how it could be judged to be offensive to some in our society.

It makes no difference that it may be ok in South America he is playing and living here and that's what counts.

I expect he will get at most 3 games we just have to accept it
Its impossible to know or implement. Some things do not directly translate, carry over or mean what you "think" they do. Always feels a bit weird English speakers making decisions on non English language, especially if its not accurately translated

SuperiorXI

I hope the club appeal it purely out of principal. He didn't do what's he's charged with.

Accepting it but saying "we do so reluctantly"... "still think no offence".. "want to move on" sends out wrong message i.m.o.
The club would probably be nervous that it could make the situation worse and tarnish their reputation. They have to be careful... even with clear cut obvious common sense stuff such as this.

cyberman

When you play in England you're subject to the FA's regulations.

Apparently that means all the words in your native language are judged on how sensitive they are to the English public?
But theyre taking the knee based off of police brutality in the States..

That's some George Orwellian opinion but doesn't surprise me in 2020.
The same for any professional jobs. Professions have regulatory bodies the have rules about upholding the professional standards.

Solicitors, Social Workers, Police, Teacher all have rules about having to uphold their professional standards even outside of work because they are always representing their profession.

Silly to go down the line of saying this is Orwellian, completely the wrong context to say something is Orwellian. Sad people use that as a throw away comment these days like 'pc gone mad'.

Adcuth

Charged by the English FA for speaking Spanish, because a Spanish word sounds like a racist English word.

Utterly fecking ridiculous.
Maybe the FA should ban all non-English players from speaking their own language just in case people who don't speak their language think they've said something racist. See how that goes

matt23

Maybe the FA should ban all non-English players from speaking their own language just in case people who don't speak their language think they've said something racist. See how that goes
I think they should. The english have every right apparently to tell other countries their language is racist.

The word he used was 'negro' which means black in Spanish. I think the problem is that it sounds similar to the n word. In Spanish, people regularly refer to their friends as 'the white one'/'black one' and while it sounds awkward in English, it's somewhat innocuous for the most part in Spanish.

That said, the FA felt that they had to act and stamp out this term given the Suarez incident in the past and it's reccurance in an effort to oviate similar incidents in the future.
No he didnt
In Turkey, Pitch means bastard or brothel. Imagine the amount of bans issued or is English exempt from interpretation?
Yes.

Because English people know best and the English language is fine. It's other languages/countries that need to be educated and the all-white, non Spanish speaking FA are the people to do that.

(sarcasm before the replies).

SuperiorXI

I think they should. The english have every right apparently to tell other countries their language is racist.
We're already making it harder to bring in young foreign talent, lets start policing what they can and can't say in their native tongue, soon Brexit will be fulfilled!!!

End of

And that UK body says you can't speak Spanish on social media? How inclusive of the FA.
What footballers posts on public platforms like Instagram comes under the terms of the contract he has with United and the rules of the governing body of the UK game. It's really not that complicated.

Withnail

Perhaps it would be better if you actually read the context instead of the words. I didn't say I was happy being insulted, I said it's used as a term of affection. Of course it's not going to be accepted by every immigrant in every workplace and if someone used those words for someone they didn't know then things change but using it for people or workmates that you're close to (in Cavanis case) then people who don't have a clue about other people's customs blow it up out of all proportion. Which is exactly what's happening in this case.
Someone calling you a 'f*cking foreigner' is an insult. I know exactly what you mean and understand that it's a term of affection. I regularly insult my friends and family affectionately and of course they don't take offence.

However, I'm not a PL footballer and I'm not subject to their regulations and I'm not posting publically on social media. That's why I'm saying these things aren't relevant.

Cavani can and will say whatever he likes in private. The FA has taken a zero-tolerance approach if you read the regulation I posted earlier, so I'm not sure anything can be done.

What footballers posts on public platforms like Instagram comes under the terms of the contract he has with United and the rules of the governing body of the UK game. It's really not that complicated.
I don't disagree with that.

I disagree he broke any rules and the interpretation is wrong. As Spanish speaking posters have clearly explained

SuperiorXI

You're right it's not complicated... he didn't break any rule and it's easy to see. He shouldn't have even had to delete the post but he lives in a stupid stupid world.

Stacks

Definition of racist:
"prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized"

None of that applies to thanking a white guy calling him negrito, not in a million years. I could look up hate for you but doubt it's necessary. It's out of scope.

Club and Cavani have handled this well. We should appeal as a matter of principle. We will probably lose because the FA are morons and they will choose the dates again for maximum impact.

Take it on the chin and move on.
what the guy says below. You cannot make a reference to someone's colour now, even though that wasn't what he did, since his friend is white, they have decided that they don't need accurate translations/interpretations of foreign words. I guess they are taking a stand as they don't like the word negrito since it "can" refer to someones colour so they are just stamping it out period.

The word used was 'negrito'

It's against the rules to refer to ethnicity or colour as PL footballer. It doesn't matter what spanish people regularly do.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
1 game. Same as Dele Alli for the coronavirus thing. Apparently the rules have been changed to say 3 match ban since but nobody will link where exactly it says 3 match ban is mandatory and I can't find it myself.

. The striker could be banned for three matches if he is found guilty.

An FA statement, with reference to new guidelines agreed in the summer, said the post was alleged to be "insulting and/or abusive and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute"

It is also alleged "that the comment constitutes an aggravated breach" which "included reference, whether express or implied, to colour and/or race and/or ethnic origin".
Reported by BBC here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55347164

matt23

I'm not saying it complicated I'm saying it's fecking ridiculous pandering and it makes me embarrassed to be English.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
In terms of consistency, the FA had no choice.

The length of the ban will be the telling point to see if they have completely got the wrong end of the stick.

If you compare the scenario to Suarez or Casilla, you're an idiot. This is Bernardo Silva territory at worst.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would it not make sense to just play him in every game while we can, and if he picks up a niggle it's fine. He's banned anyway :wenger:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would have been surprised if he wasn't charged.

The problem with the "he's speaking Spanish to a Spanish speaker" or "he's talking to a friend who obviously has no problem with it" defences are that he hasn't done either of those things. He's broadcasted something online for the world to see, on a platform where he knows he has a code of conduct to abide by. That isn't the same as just talking to someone.

It would be the equivalent of screaming something at your friend across a busy restaurant, where the restaraunt happen to have a firm policy in place determining what can and can't be said in their establishment. The fact that you have to modulate what you say in that situation shouldn't be a surprise.

cyberman

Would it not make sense to just play him in every game while we can, and if he picks up a niggle it's fine. He's banned anyway :wenger:
If he isnt fit for tonigjt, accept it now and hell miss the cup game v Everton as well?
So its just Leeds he'd be missed for

cyberman

I would have been surprised if he wasn't charged.

The problem with the "he's speaking Spanish to a Spanish speaker" or "he's talking to a friend who obviously has no problem with it" defences are that he hasn't done either of those things. He's broadcasted something online for the world to see, on a platform where he knows he has a code of conduct to abide by. That isn't the same as just talking to someone.

It would be the equivalent of screaming something at your friend across a busy restaurant, where the restaraunt happen to have a firm policy in place determining what can and can't be said in their establishment. The fact that you have to modulate what you say in that situation shouldn't be a surprise.
He was on the Spanish speaking section of the app? You litetally have to be offended by another culture from logging on to their site ffs

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The problem is at which point was Cavani, insulting, abusive or improper and when did he brought the game into disrepute?

To me it seems that from a procedural standpoint they didn't consider the context of their own rule and the context of the post, unless of course Cavani's friend was contacted and claimed that he was insulted and abused in that case the FA would be correct. Because it works both ways, you can't decide for someone what is insulting to them and what isn't which is seemingly what the FA did.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he isnt fit for tonigjt, accept it now and hell miss the cup game v Everton as well?
So its just Leeds he'd be missed for
yeah it does make sense to accept now looking at the fixtures. If we accept it by Jan 4th he misses Watford (FA Cup away), Liverpool and Fulham. Liverpool being the big one there, but with Leeds' shoddy set piece defending I'd have loved him to be there.

John Blund

Cavani can and will say whatever he likes in private. The FA has taken a zero-tolerance approach if you read the regulation I posted earlier, so I'm not sure anything can be done.
This is less than zero-tolerance. FA is actually performing cultural racism with this handling of other cultures' language and sayings.
I'm 100 % certain that you could offend somebody somewhere with the phrase "Indian summer" also - still that's something we hope and prey for every fall. At least where I live.

United shouldn't accept this - not because I care about the few games he'd be banned for, but for the sake of cultural freedom and not accept that we have different languages in the world. The law they refer to can actually get you banned if you call a teammate from your national team "my *african-country name* friend", because if the country is not considered "good enough" by FA; you are insulting the player by referring to his ethnic origin. This is just BS, and not the way to kick racism out of football. The zero-tolerance approach should be applied to racism cases and only that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Oh for feck sake. Probably found out he was injured and decided to delay it for maximum impact. cnuts.
This is exactly what they've done - the cynical bastards.
This was weeks ago!

Second only to the time the City chairman on the FA board oversaw Rooney getting a ban for the FA Cup semi final against them for swearing into a camera!

Spark

What a completely unsurprising decision from the perpetually hypocritical, clumsy and tone-deaf FA. They're an organisation that fails to adequately deal with racism across football in the UK, is made up of old white males who regularly have to defend themselves from charges of being out of touch* and have a history of taking the wrong stance on nearly every issue.

Cavani has been in this country five minutes and he will now get banned for three matches for speaking his language to a friend. Well done FA on implementing their new anti-racist policy incorrectly at the first try!

*racist

georgipep

Does anyone in the world, outside of the English FA, think this was racist? Literally. Is there anyone?
Yes. I did. I'm not English and I think it is racist. The fact that they use it in their speech as a term of endearment doesn't change that fact to me. Just shows that some nations are stuck in the past.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is less than zero-tolerance. FA is actually performing cultural racism with this handling of other cultures' language and sayings.
I'm 100 % certain that you could offend somebody somewhere with the phrase "Indian summer" also - still that's something we hope and prey for every fall. At least where I live.

United shouldn't accept this - not because I care about the few games he'd be banned for, but for the sake of cultural freedom and not accept that we have different languages in the world. The law they refer to can actually get you banned if you call a teammate from your national team "my *african-country name* friend", because if the country is not considered "good enough" by FA; you are insulting the player by referring to his ethnic origin. This is just BS, and not the way to kick racism out of football. The zero-tolerance approach should be applied to racism cases and only that.
It is a difficult one.
I suppose you have to live by the rules of the country.

Take a slightly flippant example - If an American came over and had their gun holstered to themselves out in town - we wouldn't let them off as it's alright in America.

Giggsy13

The charge is no surprise at all, which anyone can see was coming. This will be drawn out and we probably won’t see a decision until mid to late January. He will get the minimum 3 match ban, that’s a given.

The club would probably be nervous that it could make the situation worse and tarnish their reputation. They have to be careful... even with clear cut obvious common sense stuff such as this.
I get that and they'd have to be very careful with comms... I'm sure they employ firms and pay a lot of money to do that. (Don't let Ed write it!!)

But the flip side is even if reluctant and caveated.. it'll still be swung by some as admittance.

Could do with some high profile Spanish speaking footballers speaking up and saying it's rubbish, leave our language alone.