Champions League Quarter Finals (3rd - 11th April)

Alabaster Codify7

I said it before, as someone who hates Liverpool deeply, i'm dreading the thought that they could well win the CL.
Their style, attacking prowess and prolific goal-scoring means they can beat anyone on their night - the remaining teams will all try to attack them, if the perfect storm occurs, they can beat any of them.

Peanut Butter

Best team of the PL era my arse. This City team don't want it. Imagine our '99 or '08 team crumbling like this. All hype.
Good post and spot on. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic in football.

It’s why I didn’t want Baldy at Utd.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Watched both halves here. What a first half at Anfield. City blown away. Will Pool maintain the effort?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Time for Pep to show what he's made of. He has to turn the tide somehow, even if they don't fix the result. Stop getting utterly dominated in every sense and area would be something, at least.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What makes you think they're playing the same way? He's pussied out too much here. Gundogans doing feck all in the middle.
They've been overwhelmed by Liverpool's high energy and are allowing them to rob them of possession in their own half... Exactly what happened last time pretty much.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why do people keep saying this? Liverpool's record against the big teams under Klopp is brilliant, their style is tailor made for those type of games. There's not a defence left in the competition, bar maybe Bayern's, that will be able to cope with this Liverpool attack.
I think the right position is in the middle of you and these incredibly cocksure types who are certain Liverpool will come a cropper.

It's a little unnerving, as it'd be dreadful for them to win it.
However, Klopp's record against us sure isn't excellent, and his record against the big euro teams is to be established.

They're dangerous, that's for sure. However, they'll play a giant next round, who surely will have done their homework.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Jose did that and then beat Liverpool at home, limiting their oh so wonderful attack to pot shots. Mo Salah hasn't even had a shot on target this season against Man Utd. Ashley Young, a converted winger, shut down Salah...

...City are making him look like a living god.
Pochetinno made Liverpool look ordinary if we’re honest

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Err. Ours did with some ease
Our defensive unit as a whole is much better than Madrid's. I'd have it above Barca's too but behind Munich's.

Have you seen their record against the top 6 this season?

The big european sides know how to sit back. Madrid and Munich can take care of Liverpool easily.

City arent great at playing that way. Barca.. I don't know. I havent seen them do that enough, but that might be because they are usually way better than the others.
Madrid would be the best possible match up for Liverpool out of the 3 big teams left imo. I could see Munich stopping them and I'm 50/50 about Barca as I don't watch them all that much so I'm not too sure on how they play.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Liverpool will not let this slip. City's been awful.
This could easily be a game of two halves. Once (if) Liverpool concede one, the doubts can set in. Especially with their history. But Guardiola has to make changes.

killerboi2

Man City always freeze up at Anfield, this result is expected. I don't see many teams going past Real Madrid; not even Barca, in the Champions League
If teams get the fear factor out of their head and play like Liverpool are now then it's possible. Too much respect shown to foreign teams by English clubs. Liverpool don't have the same respect for Man City, hence this performance.

Member 90887

Its both. Pep has made mistakes here but Klopp has done a great job as well. Like I said, I suspect that Liverpool's intensity will drop a lot after 60 minutes but a lot of credit has to be given for what he and his team have done in this half so far.

Not everything has to be one or the other.
Of course not, not everything has to be one or the other. if you said that for the game at anfield between them in the PL, i would have said that you were 100% right, Klopp deserves the plaudits more than anything. but Klopp here is using the same game plan as he did against City in the PL. Pep should have known better.

Mentally though, Liverpool looks way better prepared for this game than City. that's on Klopp.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I said it before, as someone who hates Liverpool deeply, i'm dreading the thought that they could well win the CL.
Their style, attacking prowess and prolific goal-scoring means they can beat anyone on their night - the remaining teams will all try to attack them, if the perfect storm occurs, they can beat any of them.
Mourinho knows how to stop them.

Skills

Snitch
They've been overwhelmed by Liverpool's high energy and are allowing them to rob them of possession in their own half... Exactly what happened last time pretty much.
Last time they still looked threatening and had something about them. This time they've blunted their own knife going into the game. They're only threat is down the left because they've got nothing on the right.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ref is great. I wish pl have refs like him. City players are going down on every contact and he just say- play on

el3mel

Utterly shocking half from City and impressive from Pool. City could completely screwed by Liverpool's high pressing, worst possible opponent for these possession based teams. Next half will depend on how Pep will change his approach but from his history whenever his team got screwed it usually ended in a humiliating defeat.

Fluctuation0161

Why do people keep saying this? Liverpool's record against the big teams under Klopp is brilliant, their style is tailor made for those type of games. There's not a defence left in the competition, bar maybe Bayern's, that will be able to cope with this Liverpool attack.
Nah. Liverpool and their high press are only tailor made to beat City.

Guy Incognito

Liverpool's system is perfect against City.

It's all well saying 'attack City' but not many teams don't have the players to exploit Guardiola's set up.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
salah, mane and firmino are the best front 3 in Europe currently.

I’d kill for them at United, the difference in quality is vast compared to our lot.

iam_kramer

Liverpool were probably the worst team City could have gotten bar Barca. The only team to beat them in the league!

Enigma_87

You know who
But when is the last time City got a result at Anfield in general? they're always atrocious.
They don't have a good record indeed, but it's not a matchup problem for me but the way Pep sets up away from home in CL in general. It's ridiculous when you consider how high he's rated around as a manager..