Champions League Round of 16 (13th Feb - 14th Mar)

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
It will be interesting to see if the Juventus defence is a little rusty because for them to only concede one goal in 15 games must show how weak their opposition is, whereas Spurs have been facing high level opponents regularly and particularly over the last few weeks. So we will see truly how good their defence is up against Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen etc

Spurs will no doubt have to be absolutely clinical in both games. No wastefulness in front of goal.

Nedved

It will be interesting to see if the Juventus defence is a little rusty because for them to only concede one goal in 15 games must show how weak their opposition is, whereas Spurs have been facing high level opponents regularly and particularly over the last few weeks. So we will see truly how good their defence is up against Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen etc

Spurs will no doubt have to be absolutely clinical in both games. No wastefulness in front of goal.
Good analysis. Accomplishing clean sheets vs Barcelona, Roma, Napoli and Inter is not nearly as energy draining as drawing vs Newport County, So'ton and West Ham.

piesel

Good analysis. Accomplishing clean sheets vs Barcelona, Roma, Napoli and Inter is not nearly as energy draining as drawing vs Newport County, So'ton and West Ham.
We can add Atalanta to the mix, let's remember what they did against Everton in the EL.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham

That's not what I said is it. Just looked at their results and they haven't played a top side since before Xmas. So this record of theirs certainly has a lot of padding.

Spurs have in the last two weeks alone beaten United, Arsenal and drawn at Liverpool. My point being, Spurs have had more challenging high level fixtures recently and passed them.

Spurs are also unbeaten in 12 games or so. I'm far from an expert on Italian football but I don't think it's a stretch to say it's a considerably weaker league than the PL. Only Juventus and Napoli are considered competitive European teams at the moment.

Nedved

That's not what I said is it. Just looked at their results and they haven't played a top side since before Xmas. So this record of theirs certainly has a lot of padding.

Spurs have in the last two weeks alone beaten United, Arsenal and drawn at Liverpool. My point being, Spurs have had more challenging high level fixtures recently and passed them.

Spurs are also unbeaten in 12 games or so. I'm far from an expert on Italian football but I don't think it's a stretch to say it's a considerably weaker league than the PL. Only Juventus and Napoli are considered competitive European teams at the moment.
You forgot Roma that just topped their CL group. There's no way to measure overall league strength and playing Atalanta and Fiorentina away is no easy task (in comparison to facing poor form Arsenal). But yes, the record has some padding and Spurs are also in great form.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Lichsteiner and Barzagli (in addition to Howedes, Matuidi, Dybala and Cuadrado) not available for tomorrow. Not a good news for Juventus, most likely we'll see De Sciglio and Bentancur in the starting XI

Imho it's a bit disrespectful. No one can deny that EPL is a stronger league than Serie A but don't forget that Roma and Atalanta defeated, respectively, Chelsea (3-0 at home, 3-3 at Stamford Bridge) and Everton (3-0 in Italy, 1-5 at Goodison Park) this season.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Why do they stretch out this round so much? fecking hell, the most insignificant knock out round is going to take an entire fecking month.
It's so that the quarter finals of both the Europa League and UCL end up being played in the same game week and then the same with the semi-finals. The last 32 of the Europa League is played during the first leg of the UCL last 16 and the last 16 round is played at the same time as the 2nd leg of the UCL last 16 round

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Looking forward to Juve vs Spurs, RM vs PSG, Chelsea vs Barca. Hopefully we'll get another classic like at Stamford Bridge in 2005. :drool:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol:

To think he might start since Matuidi is out. Sturaro did score against Bayern, though.
That's what you remember him for in CL???? He literally got you into a CL final in '15!

also, FML

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Weaker, i agree. Considerably weaker, no way. Bottom 10 are worse than PL bottom 10 for the most part, top 10 are about the same all in all. Top 5 are slightly weaker, 6-10 are better in serie A

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

There is no padding, it's just that you are downplaying their achievements because of your ignorance. They played Napoli, Roma (who beat shit out of Chelsea scoring 6 goals in 2 games against them), Inter, Barca, Atalanta in their run in.

This Juventus going on a winning run is nothing new either, they always do that.

Likewise Spurs only game where they were expected to lose was against Anfield. At home against Manutd and Arsenal spurs are expected to either win or at least draw. Same with ManUtd and Arsenal at home.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

What a strange argument. Going a couple of months without conceding is a testament to the strength of defense, you cannot possibly explain it any other way like you are trying to. Instead you have spinned it around to make it sound like it's actually a disadvantage which is bafflingly strange.

roonster09

Scout
Probably the 2nd most fascinating tie of the round. Two teams in form, but do note that Juve have lost Dybala, Matuidi, Cuadrado, Bernardeschi, Barzagli, Höwedes and Costa to injury (not sure which of them are supposedly out only for this week or for the whole tie).

Not all of them are listed here so maybe some are on their way back : https://www.online-betting.me.uk/champions-league-injuries-and-suspensions.php

I don't think there is any way Juve are going to be comfortable and despite their very impressive current form (they've now won 11 matches in a row across all competitions, and have conceded just one goal in 16 games – an all-time club record) Spurs are themselves in fine fettle in a more competitive league (unbeaten run now 12 matches across all competitions).

I think Spurs can narrowly win the first leg (2-1) and then it will all be down to holding their nerve, or not, in Turin.
Lot of them didn't make the squad, which is a big shame.

roonster09

Scout
Will be very interesting to watch how Kane deals with such a tactically drilled side, probably his biggest challenge facing such a defensively solid side.

Hopefully it will be a great battle to watch.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Probably the 2nd most fascinating tie of the round. Two teams in form, but do note that Juve have lost Dybala, Matuidi, Cuadrado, Bernardeschi, Barzagli, Höwedes and Costa to injury (not sure which of them are supposedly out only for this week or for the whole tie)..........
Feel so bad for him, he was a top defender but injuries in the last few years (along with staying at a stagnant Schalke side) have absolutely ruined him. He's only played one match for Juve this season!

Blind

I think Spurs will get at least a draw comfortably tonight, especially if Douglas Costa doesn't start. Can see Kane catching out Buffon with early shots and Dembele, Dier/Wanyama and Eriksen nullifying Pjanic in midfield.

roonster09

Scout
I think Spurs will get at least a draw comfortably tonight, especially if Douglas Costa doesn't start. Can see Kane catching out Buffon with early shots and Dembele, Dier/Wanyama and Eriksen nullifying Pjanic in midfield.
I won't be surprised if Juventus makes Spurs look like a clueless team.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
The wankfest in the media for Spurs is getting annoying. C'mon Juventus for once (cheating bastards :lol: :D ).

BarcaSpurs

Dont see how we can score if Juve are on their game, were not great creating chances against teams setting up defensively and often rely on defensive errors to find a way through, Juve wont make errors like Jones, Lovren etc have done in those matches. Maybe a magic pass from Eriksen like against Chelsea in the Fa cup semis last season is our best hope
Kane will have a tough match against Chiellini but heres hoping he can surprise us all once again.

Dembele vs Pjanic is the other big battle, Dembele has been incredible these last dew matches but Pjanic is one of the best midfielders in the world imo

Lloris
Aurier Dier Sanchez Vertonghen Davies
Wanyama Dembele
Eriksen Ali
Kane

Possibly Wanyama dropped for Son and we play the same system as the last few matches.

piesel

Latest reports in Italy talks about Juve with all guns blazing (with the available players): Costa in the 3 midfield and Berna, Mandzukic and Higuain up front.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The thing is that you don't need to create great chances to score because you have great box players in Kane and Alli, and you can score from set pieces(the one thing they're not very good at defending). In a way, you match up better against their defence than better attacking sides like City or Liverpool would. It's the same reason why Barcelona spent 180 minutes never looking like scoring against them but we scored 4 in 90 minutes, despite us not being quite as good as barcelona going forward

I think all of the english teams, spurs are the one with the best odds against juventus, along with city. Liverpool would stand almost no chance on the other hand

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I pity for you that have not been graced by our Lord's sublime touch.

Moussa Marega is a Porto forward that has... quite an interesting approach to technique.
He is a physically gifted player, with both strenght and speed, but his gift is his first (and second and beyond) touch is... akin to a rough tree log, soft like barbed wire and delicate like a truck.
Balls escape his gravitational field faster than light, he is Champions' League master of lost balls for example.

He played in Marítimo before Porto bought him 2 years ago, the expectations were extremely low but he was able to get even below that, a master of the art of crap.
Last year he was loaned to Vitória (Guimarães) and he scored a lot of goals, before getting injured.
This year because Porto could not buy players (Finantial Fair Play things), he was reintegrated in the squad and was given a chance.

Like a messiah that only comes when the time is right, he has scored 15 goals this season so far, gifting the believers with his lumberjack velvet skill.
He doesn't need skill nor technique nor decisions to score goals, for he is One with the Football.

:lol:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Everyone watching Juventus Spurs tonight then? Seems like Basel City will be a forgone conclusion.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams

I think it's very very important that you actually watch Juventus play before you judge.

They are EXTREMELY well organized defensively. The occasional brain fart from Chiellini is all you can expect from Juventus, they rarely make a mistake.

Further on take a look at their fixtures since their match against Barcelona. It's close to satirical.

D UCL 22-11-2017 Juventus 0 : 0 Barcelona Match Report
W ISA 26-11-2017 Juventus 3 : 0 Crotone Match Report
W ISA 01-12-2017 Napoli 0 : 1 Juventus Match Report
W UCL 05-12-2017 Olympiacos 0 : 2 Juventus Match Report
D ISA 09-12-2017 Juventus 0 : 0 Inter Match Report
W ISA 17-12-2017 Bologna 0 : 3 Juventus Match Report
W ICI 20-12-2017 Juventus 2 : 0 Genoa
W ISA 23-12-2017 Juventus 1 : 0 Roma Match Report
W ISA 30-12-2017 Verona 1 : 3 Juventus Match Report
W ICI 03-01-2018 Juventus 2 : 0 Torino
W ISA 06-01-2018 Cagliari 0 : 1 Juventus Match Report
W ISA 22-01-2018 Juventus 1 : 0 Genoa Match Report
W ISA 27-01-2018 2Chievo 0 : 2 Juventus Match Report
W ICI 30-01-2018 Atalanta 0 : 1 Juventus Match Report
W ISA 04-02-2018 Juventus 7 : 0 Sassuolo Match Report
W ISA 09-02-2018 Fiorentina 0 : 2 Juventus

They have played 16 games including against Barcelona, Napoli, Inter, Roma and Atalanta conceding just 1 goal. That is a tremendous achievement.

Tottenham is lucky though because Juventus will have to do without Dybala, Cuadrado and Matuidi. These are all players that would have gone straight into Tottenham's XI.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
I think it's very very important that you actually watch Juventus play before you judge.

They are EXTREMELY well organized defensively. The occasional brain fart from Chiellini is all you can expect from Juventus, they rarely make a mistake.

Further on take a look at their fixtures since their match against Barcelona. It's close to satirical.

They have played 16 games including against Barcelona, Napoli, Inter, Roma and Atalanta conceding just 1 goal. That is a tremendous achievement.

Tottenham is lucky though because Juventus will have to do without Dybala, Cuadrado and Matuidi. These are all players that would have gone straight into Tottenham's XI.
Don't get me wrong, I think Spurs are up against it big time this round. As you say, if Barcelona and Napoli can't even breach their defence, how will Spurs manage it? I have heard that Juventus won't like it if they are pressed the crap out of, which Spurs are very good at doing. That may be one area they look to exploit. Alternatively Spurs are good at soaking up pressure and hitting teams on the break. I don't know how attacking Juventus set up at home, etc

I think everyone knows which Juventus will turn up. The question is which Spurs will turn up? I've seen a considerable step up in performances recently from Spurs, if they turn up with their A game they may be able to get a draw.

Rafateria

Without knowing all of those teams and their players I'd say it likely that none of them have a player in the style of Kane, and surely if they have not as good. He is Spurs' Kryptonite to Juve's defence. It remains to be seen though of course but he is in tremendous form and his heading ability could be vital.

Nedved

Don't get me wrong, I think Spurs are up against it big time this round. As you say, if Barcelona and Napoli can't even breach their defence, how will Spurs manage it? I have heard that Juventus won't like it if they are pressed the crap out of, which Spurs are very good at doing. That may be one area they look to exploit. I think everyone knows which Juventus will turn up. The question is which Spurs will turn up? I've seen a considerable step up in performances recently from Spurs, if they turn up with their A game they may be able to get a draw.
Such a simplistic way at looking at football. If it were that easy, more teams would have done it the past six years in the league or the past three in the CL.

Benatia, Sandro and Pjanic can often productively get the ball out of defense thanks to their technical ability.

Pressing the crap out of a team means exposure to counter attacks. That’s why Douglas Costa and probably Bernardeschi start. This would be tactical suicide for Spurs and Pocchetino is smarter than that.

As an easy way to relieve pressure, should Spurs’ pressing be difficult to handle, Mandzukic starts to the left as a player defenders can hoof the ball to. He is superb in the air and faces the opposition full back, often worse in the air than the CB’s who are busy with Higuain and Khedira rushing forward. This is why I expect the more physical Aurier to start.

This will be a great game. Kane will be a handful and although Benatia and Chiellini have been superb lately, they are prone to the occasional mistake in possession.

piesel

Guess they will go
Buffon
De Sciglio Benatia Chiellini Sandro
Khedira Pjanic
Bernardeschi* Marchisio Mandzukic
Higuain

* or Costa
Latest news in Italy:

Buffon
De Sciglio Benatia Chiellini Sandro
Khedira Pjanic
Bernardeschi Costa Mandzukic
Higuain

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Juve-Spurs will most likely be a very boring game but it should make for an interesting tactical battle.

Excited to see how Kane does in a game like this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Without knowing all of those teams and their players I'd say it likely that none of them have a player in the style of Kane, and surely if they have not as good. He is Spurs' Kryptonite to Juve's defence. It remains to be seen though of course but he is in tremendous form and his heading ability could be vital.
Alli is more likely to score than Kane

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City

Sané back on the bench, Diaz dumped from the squad now Foden and Sané are both fit.
Who would you remove from the bench in order to put Diaz in there?