Champions League Round of 16 (13th Feb - 14th Mar)

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Anyone know how Bayern are playing this year? Don't watch the Bundesliga.

Would they come unstuck vs a better team?
Probably. PSG destroyed them in France earlier this season but then they also beat PSG in Germany. They have the squad to beat any team. IMO their squad is the best in the world. So strong in every department.

marktan

Think Chelsea have been by far the better team. With a bit of luck they'd be 2-0 up. But that doesn't mean anything as it's still only 0-0 and a Barca away goal puts them at a huge disadvantage.

I like Chelsea's shape though, very compact, and then wingbacks are supporting the forwards well. Barca really only have Alba providing any width.

salford_

Chelsea are almost Barca's nemesis at stamford bridge... this is obviously (so far) how you do it in terms of tactics. You cant knock it, even if it isnt appealing to watch.

Absolutely hilarious to see anyone slate them for it and claim Jose would be any different. He'd be as 'negative', if not worse

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You're the one imaging people arguing about it affecting or not the result. Who are you trying to school here ? We all know a shot hitting the post isn't a goal ffs. We can still talk about how it affected the game without affecting the scoreline. By trying to be wise, you're displaying some weird logic.
I think there was too much hoopla made over two shots off target (by millimetres). That's all.

Blackwidow

Anyone know how Bayern are playing this year? Don't watch the Bundesliga.

Would they come unstuck vs a better team?
If they win today it will be the 14th win in a row. Not playing great - but they win. Müller is doing Müller things again. Martinez is back on the 6. It is Heynckes fourth time to play the CL league - reached the final in the three times before - and won it twice. :cool:

salford_

They aren't though.

Barca v Real is never boring. Barca v Pep's Bayern or Pep's City wasn't boring.

It's the opposition that kills the game as a spectacle.
Barca v Real is fecking mind numbing. Full of theatrics

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
That's what many people told when PSG was facing Real.
PSG more than held their own though. Undone by two jammy late goals. I thought that game was fairly even throughout. Both teams had spells but neither was clearly on top.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Barca v Real is fecking mind numbing. Full of theatrics
Yeah that's true. But when they actually decide to play football it's brilliant. Granted that only makes up like 2 minutes. The other 88 is rolling around and waving imaginary cards.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
I want everyone to stop for a second, and realize the futility of arguing over a shot that hit the post, and did feck all to the result.
So anything that does not impact the scoreline is of no importance? I'm not sure if this is your point, but it seems a bit wayward if so.
Secondly, there is this myth on this website that long shots, and shots that don't change the scoreline do nothing for a game. If a team or player, (like Willian for example) has hit the post twice in quick succession, it forces the opposing team to prioritise closing down said team/player, thus freeing up other space and players.

I'm not implying that it a purposeful tactic that Willian just used, or that it is a game changing moment (though it could potentially be), but I'm simply implying that just because something does not directly influence the scoreline, does not mean it cannot influence the result.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Btw, when we scored it was actually 10-10 men, since James was off and Robben not yet on. We need a sending off, I guess.

RedDevil@84

PSG more than held their own though. Undone by two jammy late goals. I thought that game was fairly even throughout. Both teams had spells but neither was clearly on top.
I am not saying PSG were particularly bad, but there were many in the forum and outside who thought Real were there for the taking and PSG is some kind of all conquering team. But then again, you don't win anything except brownie points for holding fort and playing well for 85 mins if you ship in late goals in next 5.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Is Dembele on the bench? I missed the line ups. I'm hoping he is and he comes on cos I've watched him 2-3 times for Barca before the injury and he looked awful, Bakayoko awful. Reminded me of a young Aaron Lennon, a complete headless chicken basically. I'd like to see what he's like against a team I can genuinely gauge instead of a Spanish team I have no clue about.

The Chavs have been unlucky so far, Messi has yet again being absent against Chelsea, he really doesn't like playing them or English teams in general does he. Watch him get a hat trick and 5 assists for Bitey McBigot now.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
This commentator sounds nothing like our Darren Fletcher! What scam are BT Sport running? :mad:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So anything that does not impact the scoreline is of no importance? I'm not sure if this is your point, but it seems a bit wayward if so.
Secondly, there is this myth on this website that long shots, and shots that don't change the scoreline do nothing for a game. If a team or player, (like Willian for example) has hit the post twice in quick succession, it forces the opposing team to prioritise closing down said team/player, thus freeing up other space and players.

I'm not implying that it a purposeful tactic that Willian just used, or that it is a game changing moment (though it could potentially be), but I'm simply implying that just because something does not directly influence the scoreline, does not mean it cannot influence the result.
I didn't say it couldn't influence the result. All I'm saying... is that in general... too much is made of shots that hit the post. They can have a non-zero impact. Just not enough for me to comment much on.

Can we get back to watching this extremely engaging and inspiring match?

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Impressive Umtiti pass through the Chelsea player's legs.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I am not saying PSG were particularly bad, but there were many in the forum and outside who thought Real were there for the taking and PSG is some kind of all conquering team. But then again, you don't win anything except brownie points for holding fort and playing well for 85 mins if you ship in late goals in next 5.
Real Madrid were there for the taking, Neymar was just an idiot. He refused to pass to Cavani or Mbappe. Mbappe when he actually got the ball created their only goal; he was left free by Madrid and they barely passed to him. PSG have only themselves to blame, because they should have been out of sight well before Madrid scored those two late goals.