Champions League Round of 16 (13th Feb - 14th Mar)

Canagel

Spurs weren't strong enough in the boxes. Both offensively and defensively. They dominated the rest of the pitch inbetween but at this level you have to be decisive when it matters. Allegri was talking about being patient before the game. And this is with them needing to score not Spurs. So they knew exactly what they were doing in that 1st half. It was obvious they studied Spurs weaknesses and decided to stay calm and composed and take their chances when they came.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Don't worry buddy, PSG are the City of France. Financially doped up to the eyeballs, oily as feck, desperate to win the CL and with 99% cnut fans that were irrelevant less than a decade ago.
Magnificent. Waiting for a parachute (Green face x 7).

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Less popular in their own city than the local team? Supported by glory hunters throughout the country? Match-fixing? Are you sure about that? I tend to agree with you.
Who pissed in your supper? Long gone are years where you could preach anyone about morality in football.

kidbob

Less popular in their own city than the local team? Supported by glory hunters throughout the country? Match-fixing? Are you sure about that? I tend to agree with you.
A more popular local team in their City that can't fill a stadium for any game? Glory hunting fans that were gathered through years of great football and unsurpassed success, especially considering that success breeds fans? Any evidence of match fixing or it is simply the same as our fans calling Pep's teams dopers?

What I agree most with is that City fans, no matter how successful your club have been, just can't seem to stop thinking about United. Want evidence? Try have a reasonable conversation about City on here and then try have one about United on Bluemoon. Wait though, surely that's why you post here? The proof is in the pudding I guess.

Nick7

Who pissed in your supper? Long gone are years where you could preach anyone about morality in football.
To be fair they are more popular in Manchester than United when it comes to sky blue seats. They have the market sewn up there.

Irrational.

I'm afraid it is a well-known side effect of being a fan of a club suckling on the tainted oily teat of an Arab billionaire. It gives them delusions of grandeur.

kidbob

That (which is nothing special the past decade) as well as their respective styles of play.
I don't know to be fair. Both hard workers, both good dribblers. Son has more of an eye for goal but Park is better from deeper. Although I could be wrong, I guess I just see the plaudits for Son, well deserved too, and think Park was highly underrated as a footballer by all including a lot of our fanbase.

arnie_ni

Loved that interview. He told it like it is. Spurs history they knew spurs would throw it away more or less.

He looked like he'd stand and talk all day as well

simmee

What a great man Chiellini is! One of the few world class defenders at the moment.

Zen

Seems like a class act through and through Chellini - not sure why what he said is going to be turned into just calling Spurs and PSG bottlers..because it kinda wasn't. Real and Juve have a history, and a badge, and he's right players will fight more for that history....these two, coming from two different approaches have to continue to build to get there.

Should be noted...PSG and Spurs have tended to go out to pretty elite teams so far in their runs.....I remember when United used to go out to genuine teams well below them, but you know, short memories.

Bobski

Loved that interview. He told it like it is. Spurs history they knew spurs would throw it away more or less.

He looked like he'd stand and talk all day as well
What a night for Spurs, their reputation as serial bottlers confirmed as a global accepted truth.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That was a genuinely remarkable interview from Chiellini. Brutal honesty and total vulnerability. Not what you'd expect from the way he plays!!

Gives you an idea of what it is that makes that team tick. The sheer belief was totally unlike anything we have in our team. Must be quite an incredible thing to have won so many league titles and done so well in the Champions League against the odds over and over again. He basically saw them beating Spurs as akin to fate. It's just what they do.

arthurka

As it should, never understood the hate defending as part of game gets, like its cancer of football. Always found it weird when people see good/great defending as easy, hell proper working bus parking isnt easy.
Always remember Rodgers slating José for it but he couldn't keep a clean sheet with Liverpool to save his life. . Good defending is something that is just as beautiful as attacking, our best period in Europe came through great defending.. Attack wins games defense wins titles..

Spurs though ... You couldn't really be bothered laughing ...

KC91

Always figured Juve would get the job done. This thread is hilarious by the way, Juve were without 6+ key players over both legs and realistically should have put this away in leg 1. That mentality is matched by few other teams in world football. Good on them to get through though, hopefully they draw Liverpool or UTD next round(if they advance).

Bobski

That was a genuinely remarkable interview from Chiellini. Brutal honesty and total vulnerability. Not what you'd expect from the way he plays!!

Gives you an idea of what it is that makes that team tick. The sheer belief was totally unlike anything we have in our team. Must be quite an incredible thing to have won so many league titles and done so well in the Champions League against the odds over and over again. He basically saw them beating Spurs as akin to fate. It's just what they do.
The Astori situation must have affected their build up massively. Puts the game into perspective but also brings them together as people with a shared experience.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Always remember Rodgers slating José for it but he couldn't keep a clean sheet with Liverpool to save his life. . Good defending is something that is just as beautiful as attacking, our best period in Europe came through great defending.. Attack wins games defense wins titles..

What we saw from Juve tonight was not great defending in any form.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
To be fair they are more popular in Manchester than United when it comes to sky blue seats. They have the market sewn up there.
Aye, they have a monopoly on that market.

I'm afraid it is a well-known side effect of being a fan of a club suckling on the tainted oily teat of an Arab billionaire. It gives them delusions of grandeur.
The purest of the club and the purest of the fans. Unbelievable, a real proof that you can't keep your mouth shut when you won a lottery.

R'hllor

Ah yea, good old Rodgers with "10 man behind ball" is easy while conceding in league at least 50 goals per season.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
If I'm Allegri tonight, I'd be smug as feck and smoking a cigar on the team bus while wearing sunglasses. Especially after the comments about Spurs not being able to defend as well as Lazio.
It was a pretty impressive interview for the Arsenal job, if he wants it.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
BT commentators banging on about how Juve had nothing on the bench :lol:

Suppose you've got to expect nonsense from Hoddle. The man literally said this is in the first half - "You're right, Darren. Took the words right of my... erm, mouth."

How the hell do you need to think about what the next word should be there :lol:

simmee

Good defending is keeping the opposition out of your box. Spurs lived in Juve's box late in the match.
... Good defending is forcing the other team to attack the way you want them to, which Juventus did when Spurs crossed and hoofed the ball straight at Chiellini for 20 minutes.

Classic spurs though. Winning the most people in the opponents box trophy.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
... Good defending is forcing the other team to attack the way you want them to, which Juventus did when Spurs crossed and hoofed the ball straight at Chiellini for 20 minutes.

Classic spurs though. Winning the most people in the opponents box trophy.
Allegri turned Spurs into a David Moyes team, tactical genius.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Good defending is keeping the opposition out of your box. Spurs lived in Juve's box late in the match.
I'd understand thinking they got lucky if this didn't happen time and time again. They did the same thing to Lazio during the weekend