Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
When I look at Chelsea's attacking set of players I feel they should be above Spurs. Spurs have Eriksen and Kane who are quality but outside that? Alli who is young and can go missing in games as young players do, and Son who is not rated in the same league as the Hazard, Willian's of the world.

Im curious would you take Hazard or Eriksen?

prath92

When I look at Chelsea's attacking set of players I feel they should be above Spurs. Spurs have Eriksen and Kane who are quality but outside that? Alli who is young and can go missing in games as young players do, and Son who is not rated in the same league as the Hazard, Willian's of the world.

But that’s the thing. For Eriksen there is hazard. Who else is there? Morata isn’t at Kane’s level. Then you have Willian who is good but so is Son who has been very good for spurs. Then who else does Chelsea have? Fabregas and Pedro aren’t particularly great when compared to Alli. They also have dembele in addition

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Remember that time I started a Conte sack thread and it was closed because it was daft?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I wouldn’t worry about reputation. Aside from Hazard, at least when he can be arsed, Son is as good as anything Chelsea have.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Their next manager needs to ship out some of the players that have played for both Mou and Conte. Seems like some of them just down tools when they feel like it.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Some Chelsea fans fast becoming the most deluded lot on here. Some claimed that Matic was washed up and Chelsea wouldn't miss him. How is that turning up?

As far as Lukaku vs Morata goes. Lukaku has an excellent claim of being our best outfield player this season. Morata won't be in the top 3 outfield players for Chelsea this season. United are eleven points ahead of Chelsea with the majority of the season gone.
I think we can give Morata a pass this season as he's playing in a new league where as Lukaku has been playing here years but yeah Lukaku has been good for us this season.

promisedlanchiao

This guy, jamie l and dumbstar are probably the 3 worst on this forum (dont actually think glaston is that bad to be honest). The way they just post stuff to troll people be a wum is absolutely disgraceful. We should be grateful to have opposition posters like santi_mesut_Alexis (unfortunate to be a new member only) and duffer posting on this forum who actually have good points and get them across well.

Back to chelsea though, they may have had a good comeback last night but I still don’t think they’re any good (with the exception of hazard, kante etc etc obviously). Southampton actually had a couple more shots on target last night and only bad defending and nerves from conceding the first goal lost them the game. Conte will be sacked at the end of the season though, and knowing this bunch of horrible, traitorous players, they’ll probably be challenging for the title again next season under a different manager and suddenly turn into a europa league to mid-table level side the following season though, and rinse and repeat.

Oldyella

Their next manager needs to ship out some of the players that have played for both Mou and Conte. Seems like some of them just down tools when they feel like it.
Would start with Hazard. What's the point of all that talent if you only turn it on when you fancy it.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Alonso is banned for 3 games for his tackle on Shane Long

Trizy

Bet these feckers barely beat Southampton but then turn into Chelsea 2004 in the final.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I know we football fans all have high expectations of some of the talent that come through the ranks. You know the stuff, he's the next Ryan Giggs, Steven Gerrard etc. Sadly though, very few live up to the hype. But whilst everyone will be clambering aboard the transfer muppetry train this summer, we at Liverpool might have a young lad in Harry Wilson who could catch the eye next season. Scored a beauty for wales against China on his debut, & on his 21st birthday, quite recently. But his biggest impact has come via his loan spell at Hull City where he was loaned out in January of this year. 7 goals in 9 starts & 3 assists have helped Hull climb from potential relegation candidates to safety. MOTM again in yesterdays 5-5 draw at Bristol City. This is from the Hull Daily Mail's match ratings:

Harry Wilson: If only these are the final weeks of his City career. Opened the scoring with another stunner before surpassing that with a decisive free-kick that made it 4-3. Seven goals in nine starts shows he’s destined for a higher stage. 9

There's been a lot of good lads who've gone out on loan from Anfield & have subsequently failed to shine. Wilson has bucked that trend. Be interesting to see what Klopp does with him next season. Could be a really good option for us on the bench I imagine.
Is there a possibility that you've posted this in the wrong thread?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They need a minor miracle for top 4.
Win their game in hand and it's 5 points with three to go including Liverpool.
They could miss out on GD.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
They need a minor miracle for top 4.
Win their game in hand and it's 5 points with three to go including Liverpool.
They could miss out on GD.
Yep, that would really suck, I'd almost rather lose out by a point or two. Overall it seems like too much of a mountain to climb to be honest, but hey I'd rather have a little glimpse of hope on the horizon than none at all. That said I'm fully expecting Salah to score the winner against us just to rub it in...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Their success at youth level in the last 8 years is simply remarkable.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
‘We are not clinical. In the last period we can kill the game, but the game was still in the balance,’ said Conte.

‘If your best scorer has only 12 goals, it is difficult to fight for something important.’
Poor Morata.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Any Chelsea fans still holding out hope for top 4?

Personally I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. Of the 3 teams still in contention - Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea - the latter are clearly in the best form. Liverpool's attention appears to have diverted itself towards a more pressing priority (the CL) and with Spurs being, well, Spurs, I'd quite fancy my chances were I a Chelseas fan.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Any Chelsea fans still holding out hope for top 4?

Personally I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. Of the 3 teams still in contention - Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea - the latter are clearly in the best form. Liverpool's attention appears to have diverted itself towards a more pressing priority (the CL) and with Spurs being, well, Spurs, I'd quite fancy my chances were I a Chelseas fan.
Nah, it's too late. If we had a few more games this season we might have done it, but we are relying on Brighton getting a results at Liverpool (and that's assuming we beat them ourselves) or Spurs only winning 1 game in 4, would be a spectacular bottle job by one or the other if we get let in now.

Oh well, with the new era of the TV deals the financial pressure for top 4 isn't half as bad as it use to be, furthermore Kante, Zlatan, Pogba, Luiz, Lacazette and Auba in the last two years show you can still attract the player's even without CL.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Only in the same way that I hope to find money on the street. It'd be great and it's not impossible but I don't think it will happen and won't be upset if it doesn't.
Maybe this is my determination not to morph into Arsenal playing out but i find the race for the top four thing totally boring. Ofcourse i'd rather be in it than not but i don't have the constant worry, panic and ultimately joy or devastation that title and relegation battles have sent me to in the past, the only exception was 2003 for obvious reasons but aside from that, meh ...

Djemba-Djemba

Maybe this is my determination not to morph into Arsenal playing out but i find the race for the top four thing totally boring. Ofcourse i'd rather be in it than not but i don't have the constant worry, panic and ultimately joy or devastation that title and relegation battles have sent me to in the past, the only exception was 2003 for obvious reasons but aside from that, meh ...
I was the same in 2016 when we missed out

It stings when they do the Champions League draw the season after though.