g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Dare I say he needs to leave in the near future and we should get another CB. Maybe try TFM there in the meantime.
No need to get rid. He just shouldn't be a starter. Should be Bailly+a new signing like Bailly. Quality all around and sure of himself to give us that security at the back.

Ban

No need to get rid. He just shouldn't be a starter. Should be Bailly+a new signing like Bailly. Quality all around and sure of himself to give us that security at the back.
Yeah but what until then? Especially if Bailly is badly injured.

El Jefe

I said it earlier in the season but his ability on the ball is atrocious. He's been here over 6 years and still can't control a football or play a pass with any form of composure. With some of the best coaching in world football over the 6 years he hasn't shown any noticeable improvement in his passing, technique and composure.

It is truly shocking. He really should be given an ultimatum of improving in these areas or face being shipped out in the summer because its unacceptable for a club like ours.

Dobbs

He's a good player but he's too mild, too reserved, to be a top centre half. Have we ever seen him get into any kind of heated exchange with a striker? Far too nice.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's a good centre half on his day but will never be world class, this is an area of the pitch we really need to invest in now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah but what until then? Especially if Bailly is badly injured.
Then Smalling is more then good enough to be 3rd choice and start when someone is injured. Which is exactly what you want from your 3rd choice. He shouldn't be first choice because of his lack of on ball ability, but he is still a good center back most of the time, just not good enough to be a long term first choice for us because he'll always be a weakness.

Born2Lose

Absolute clown, I said in the summer I didn't think Mourinho would fancy him in the long term because he makes to many silly mistakes. He's a bench player for us and nothing more.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
That 4th goal, you're getting paid big money to defend. He just casually lets Kante go past him and raises his hands in the air like he's had enough defending for one day. Unforgivable.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Too many brainfarts. He can be imperious on his day, but he costs us with his individual errors.

JackXX

Had a really bad day today. Think he's a good player though he has been excellent at times over the past couple of seasons.

Litch

I've said it before today and even when he was playing well, he's not Rio, Vidic or Stam. We have always had a WC CB, and he's not it. He's still got an error in him and his passing although improved is no way near good enough at this level.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Resisted commenting in this thread immediately after the game as emotions were running high but now that I've calmed down, here goes:

Smalling is terribly overrated and to me has never looked like somebody who should be starting for MUFC. Just because he's tall, strong and fast people assume he has what it takes but real life isn't FIFA. 2 months of good form in 2015-16 isn't enough to convince me he has what it takes either.

Blind and Bailly have the potential to be a world class duo but replace either of those 2 with Smalling and we immediately look much weaker.

Before the game I actually said to my parents, United will never become a top team with Chris Smalling at the back. He inspires no confidence, has little leadership qualities and his lack of ball skills always give the opponents an extra weakness to target.

Sylar

Forgetting this game, if we judge him overall, the problem with him is he doesnt take charge of the defence and looks good next to a leader.
I always think hes a box defender but when he comes out or has to move away from position he struggles (whether its defending or with the ball).
His sending off in the FA cup final comes to mind.

Also he doesnt have that bit of a nasty streak that some defenders have. He just is clumsy at times.

Mike09

I thought he did the right thing for first goal because he saw De Gea was coming out, but Blind failed to pick up Pedro which was his man. Second goal he should have done better. Third goal was the midfield's fault (Mata) gave Hazard too much time and space to play with the ball. 4th one was pretty much mental went downhill for everyone.
I think he had a bad game but the midfield was awful as well when the opposition had the ball.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He was world class in 2015.
2016 has been mixed. Today was probably the worst defensive display I've ever seen from a United defender
World Class for who? A side that finished fifth in the table. If Winston Reid was a United player, he'd be getting called WC too. Smalling is no better than him.

Needs to fecking stop pulling shirts in the box as well.

George Beast

He was exposed in every sense of the word that everything he does from now on will have an asterisk over it reminding people of this performance. Jose made him captain on perhaps Jose's most important fixture in his United tenure and that's how he repaid him.

AndyJ1985

Don't think I've ever commented on Smalling. Always thought he was an ok defender; neither great nor bad, just solid and dependable most of the time. He was utter shite against Chelsea though.

peridigm

I've never thought he was good enough to be a regular starter for us let alone captain. His shirt tugging antics get on my nerves more than anything and shows he does not have what it takes to be a great defender. Yes, all players do it but he does it far too often. Today he was just awful as was most of the team. If Bailly is out for too long we are going to be in serious trouble relying on Smalling, Rojo, and Blind.

snk123

Jonny Evans at his best was 5x the player Smalling will ever be and that's saying something.

DDG expected Smalling to collect the ball? DDG comes out of his box and CALLS for Smalling to leave it (watch the replay, it's clear. Smalling steps aside to let DDG clear it from DDG's call). If DDG is expecting Smalling to collect the ball, he doesn't come out of his box. Infact, if DDG doesn't come for that at all, Smalling probably clears it with ease, or pokes it back to DDG to clear. Blind should't be expecting anything of Smalling there. Pedro is Blind's man, he plays him onside to even allow it to happen by being deeper than Smalling and Valencia (the most significant error of this comedy or errors), he doesn't communicate with Smalling about Pedro (Smalling doesn't know he is there, he is leaving the ball for DDG who has claimed it), he doesn't continue to follow Pedro's run and at least try to make it difficult for him. Smalling is caught between poor communication from DDG and no communication from Blind. Blind drops a bollock 3 times in one piece of play there.
As Captain and our senior CB he shouldn't be waiting for anything. Watch the replay, he is caught flat footed well before DDG calls or before he even looks and sees Blind has lost Pedro. He should be instantly going for that ball when it is played and then backing off when he sees someone else is taking charge, not just waiting expecting someone else to be there.

I still rate him but when you compare to Bailly who has arrived in a new team and a new league you see how far off he is.

Last edited:

LLMU

Very disappointed with his game and as a defender , you have to attack the ball rather than letting it bounced around in front of you.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Smalling is a good player, not a top player. He's been here since 2011 and he hasn't really grabbed the role by the balls to show he is a force to be reckoned with. We've seen him at his best already and that is just not good enough, obviously. Compare with our last great set of defenders: Ferdinand, Vidic, and Evra. They came into United at 2002 and 2006 respectively and it certainly didn't take any of them 4-5 years to establish themselves as solid top quality defenders.

anothermix

This guy should never be allowed near the start XI unless we do not have a choice. atrocious clueless twat, and worst off, he's our captain. He has never been anything more than average. In fact, he's no difference from Fellaini. Always using physicality to bring down opponents rather than footballing skills.

The Bailly and Blind combi kept us solid till Smalling came back and our defense became fragile again.

Lentwood

I think we were guilty of getting carried away with Smalling's performances last season because the entire team were set up to be solid and compact it made the whole back 4 look better than they were

I think that performance yesterday in amongst plenty of other mixed efforts even last year (Newcastle away?) have marked his card and I expect Mourinho will be in the market for one if not two more CBs

RayK47

Terrible game, sh*t bag. End of last season I thought he could still go either way, it seems he is going the way I hoped he would not.

No real competition for him, when there is, he will be out of the team.

Its a shame, just don't think he has it. Feel better with Bailly and Blind.

Revan

Assumptionman
This is just awful :houllier:
It really isn't. Evans at his best was a fantastic player, and in 2012-2013 he outplayed Rio and Vidic despite that them (especially Rio) were still quite good. He also was part of that crazy defensive setup which went a million matches without conceding a goal. He was shock horror in Van Gaal's season, but comparing their overall careers, Evans has been a much better CB than Smalling.

Their biggest problem is that both of them totally lack concentration, which was why Evans was sold out from the club, and while likely a similar fate will be for Smalling if he continues like this.
Then Smalling is more then good enough to be 3rd choice and start when someone is injured. Which is exactly what you want from your 3rd choice. He shouldn't be first choice because of his lack of on ball ability, but he is still a good center back most of the time, just not good enough to be a long term first choice for us because he'll always be a weakness.
Fourth choice, IMO. A new signing + Bailly to start, Blind as main backup, Smalling as second backup.

devips

Smalling is our best centre back, bar none. He simply had a poor match last night. So did De Gea, Blind, Bailly, Fellaini, POGBA, and ZLATAN. Deal with it.

Classical Mechanic

Been saying it for years now but it does my head in how long it takes him to control the ball and that he goes back to the keeper because he can't make a simple pass with his left foot.

grahamo

He's not a United player. He has zero leadership qualities, too quiet and reserved. Too many schoolboy mistakes. After 30 seconds he's jogging back with outstretched arms shouting for De Gea to come out and claim the ball even though he was nearest to it. Pedro zips in between them and the goal sets the tone for the day. Schoolboy error. I'll tell you what, its no accident our crappy streak has coincided with Smalling getting back into the first team. The first three games of the season the defence was 10 x better. I hope he reads this.

ZDwyr

I'm a Smalling fan, but I think the next few months are crucial for his United career. If he can't get his form back up then he will be in danger of being sold. I guess the only thing going for him is that Rojo and Jones are even worse and more likely to go first.

Robbie Boy

I'm a Smalling fan, but I think the next few months are crucial for his United career. If he can't get his form back up then he will be in danger of being sold. I guess the only thing going for him is that Rojo and Jones are even worse and more likely to go first.
Can't really see him being sold as our other options as you mentioned, are far worse. He can be a decent squad player and play against the lesser teams but the Caf myth that Smalling is 'world class' has been well and truly dispelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.