Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimalist

People joke about it but if there was ever a performance that deserved docking of two weeks wages.

Heinzesight

The last three years I've lost count of the number of times I've posted on here about how he will never be a great player and shouldn't start for United because he's braindead...and then get the usual comments about how I'm clueless. The guy is Championship at best.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You really do wonder if we rushed him back from that injury he picked up against Fener. He's looked gassed from the 10th minute.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He's been terrible today, you lot sure do love to overreact though.

JoaquinJoaquin

You really do wonder if we rushed him back from that injury he picked up against Fener. He's looked gassed from the 10th minute.
Give over man. It's a consistent pattern with this guy in top games. His concentration levels are poor.

Revan

Assumptionman
He isn't obviously this bad. But this is some atrocious level of defending.
Of course he isn't this bad, cause if he was so, he wouldn't be able to play even in Sunday league. It is arguably the worst performance from a CB that I have ever seen, and he was at fault for 4 fecking goals.

But,..while he isn't this bad, the problem is that he isn't that good either. He is okay for a third/fourth CB for a top club but that's it. Hopefully we'll soon address it and sign a top CB to partner Bailly, Blind as their main backup and Smalling in some squad player role.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
The last three years I've lost count of the number of times I've posted on here about how he will never be a great player and shouldn't start for United because he's braindead...and then get the usual comments about how I'm clueless. The guy is Championship at best.
I've only been following United since last December...and I've never understood the love for Smalling. I'd sell him in a second for a lower fixture PL center back. He's got decent pace, but he goes braindead too often.

He's been terrible today, you lot sure do love to overreact though.
In the past 12 months he's been just as poor as he's been good. Unless you're going to overlook the own goals and the unnecessary fouls.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
At fault for every goal. Horrific performance. Hes been quite average for nearly a year, now.

LouisDanGaal

His confidence is shattered at the minute, looks terrified of the ball, scared of anyone running at him and he is second guessing himself on every decision he makes, he is much better than he is showing today but until he gets his confidence back he should be hanging out with Bastian. I wouldn't even expect a performance of this level from Rojo.

Footyislife

Smalling needs to improve his positioning. I don't care about the 4th goal as everyone knows the game is over. For the first goal, after Blind's mistake, he should have positioned himself better to intercept the ball.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The problem is, buying players doesn't fix issues.
Chelsea had Torres and bought Costa.
Citys squad was wank, they bought several new ones.
Bayern had Mandzukic and bought Lewandowski, and whoever they had before Neuer who they bought.

Does it have to be a buy? No. But if the player isnt good enough then either the manager or the player needs to go, and we have tried 3 managers now to no big success. Time to try and change the players.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Chelsea had Torres and bought Costa.
Citys squad was wank, they bought several new ones.
Bayern had Mandzukic and bought Lewandowski, and whoever they had before Neuer who they bought.

Does it have to be a buy? No. But if the player isnt good enough then either the manager or the player needs to go, and we have tried 3 managers now to no big success. Time to try and change the players.
We've been buying players to improve or squad every transfer window, and what has it done in the last 4 years?

Our problems run deeper and throwing the chequebook at it with necessarily fix it.

Moonred

Of course he isn't this bad, cause if he was so, he wouldn't be able to play even in Sunday league. It is arguably the worst performance from a CB that I have ever seen, and he was at fault for 4 fecking goals.

But,..while he isn't this bad, the problem is that he isn't that good either. He is okay for a third/fourth CB for a top club but that's it. Hopefully we'll soon address it and sign a top CB to partner Bailly, Blind as their main backup and Smalling in some squad player role.
Agree. Even during his best spell under LVG, he never gave the confidence just like LVG himself that it was anything more than a good run which is more likely the exception than the norm. Always seems awkward and prone to big mistakes.
Blind imo is a much smarter footballer than Smalling, but has serious other limitations, like pace and physicality which is often mocked by football forum experts as if it's an archaic view to question those attributes even after evidence of how good teams who are generally pacy in the attacking third pick them apart on multiple occasions.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Should still be playing for Maidstone. I can't believe he's actually captain of this club at the moment.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Smalling witch hunt is hilarious. How is he getting pelters for the 3rd goal exactly? Not tracking Hazard's one-two was how the goal was scored, which should have been Mata, or even Valencia. They just let him waltz into the box unmarked. There's not many defenders who will come out on top one on one against Hazard in the box.

The first goal is all Blind, and a little bit De Gea. No communication from Blind as to where Pedro is, communication from DDG to leave it is terrible because Pedro is launching towards it. Who does Smalling go with? He's clearly trusting De Gea, because he steps aside from the ball to let him clear it. Not to mention Blind playing Pedro onside to begin with, not telling Smalling he is there, and then not continuing to track Pedro's run, and just gives up. But sure, Smalling's fault, ignoring three errors in succession from Blind which allowed it to even happen, and De Gea claiming a ball he was nowhere close to getting.

I have no idea what he's doing for the 2nd goal. The bounce off Herrera doesn't help him, but he was nowhere near Cahill when he is his man. Poor. 3rd goal is Mata and Valencia not tracking Hazard. 4th goal he's clearly in the shower and on his way home, should have a lot done better but still not the most at fault there.

All this "at fault for all the goals" and "worst centre back performance I've ever seen" noise is laughable. Just double the amount of goals he was at fault for to fit the agenda, or it doesn't sound as plausible. I'm not saying he had a good game. He didn't, put to put all four goals on him is just shite.

Robbie Boy

Still can't believe how overrated he was on here at one point. I don't think he's crap, just not very good. He did have an excellent spell at one point but this year in general, he's been pretty wank.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
We've been buying players to improve or squad every transfer window, and what has it done in the last 4 years?

Our problems run deeper and throwing the chequebook at it with necessarily fix it.
Not doing anything is not a solution. What do you want to do? Fire a 3rd manager after 10 league games?
Let our spiral into liverpool pre-klopp continue because we shouldnt do anything?

Brigred

How the fuuck is this prick our captain .. guess it's shows just how far we've fallen

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I pray he's used up his seasonal quota of howling mistakes in one game. If Bailly is properly injured, we need Mike and not this Chris.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The Smalling witch hunt is hilarious. How is he getting pelters for the 3rd goal exactly? Not tracking Hazard's one-two was how the goal was scored, which should have been Mata, or even Valencia. They just let him waltz into the box unmarked. There's not many defenders who will come out on top one on one against Hazard in the box.

The first goal is all Blind, and a little bit De Gea. No communication from Blind as to where Pedro is, communication from DDG to leave it is terrible because Pedro is launching towards it. Who does Smalling go with? He's clearly trusting De Gea, because he steps aside from the ball to let him clear it. Not to mention Blind playing Pedro onside to begin with, not telling Smalling he is there, and then not continuing to track Pedro's run, and just gives up. But sure, Smalling's fault, ignoring three errors in succession from Blind which allowed it to even happen, and De Gea claiming a ball he was nowhere close to getting.

I have no idea what he's doing for the 2nd goal. The bounce off Herrera doesn't help him, but he was nowhere near Cahill when he is his man. Poor. 3rd goal is Mata and Valencia not tracking Hazard. 4th goal he's clearly in the shower and on his way home, should have a lot done better but still not the most at fault there.

All this "at fault for all the goals" and "worst centre back performance I've ever seen" noise is laughable. Just double the amount of goals he was at fault for to fit the agenda, or it doesn't sound as plausible. I'm not saying he had a good game. He didn't, put to put all four goals on him is just shite.
The fact that you're defending a bang average and vastly over-rated player is even more hilarious!

luke511

Let's remember his transformation after the city game and hope for the best :confused:

villain

Hates Beyoncé

They already made their mind up that he should be sold. How he's at fault for the third goal is testament of this.

Not doing anything is not a solution. What do you want to do? Fire a 3rd manager after 10 league games?
Let our spiral into liverpool pre-klopp continue because we shouldnt do anything?
No, I think we shouldn't overreact and say we should sell every player.
He's had a bad game, but suddenly every man and his dog knows that he's a pub level defender is ridiculous.

Every time players have a bad game we should sell them? Do no other players ever have bad games?

iKeano

50 shades of sh1te today.
Was solid last season and I thought he'd turned a corner, seem it was just a roundabout and he's back on course for Crapville where panic is acceptable and playing with the ball at your feet is the stuff of nightmares.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Oh here we go again. No this was not an off day, he was average after the first half of last season culminating in looking like a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime in the fa cup final and he's still not a great defender now. Simple as, this is not kneejerk, when has this myth that somehow Smalling is an amazing player with a few off days come from.

Goal 1:
Blind and DDG are (rightly) expecting him to collect the ball coming straight across him. He dithers and Pedro nicks it. Blind could be quicker off the mark, and DDG shouldn't be put in that situation, but its mainly on Smalling.

Goal 2:
Let his man go completely free. Entirely his fault.

Goal 3:
Poor defending leading up to the goal from others, but he let Hazard take him the wrong way. He wont be the last to get skinned by Hazard so we can let him off somewhat.

Goal 4: Kante (!!!!) twisted him inside out like an amateur. That was Sunday league standard defending.

You will struggle to find any other games where one player is directly responsible for four goals in one game. That will probably go down as the worst performance in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.