Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

I have no idea how people think he's even near the level needed.

Keane, Neville, Giggs, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rooney, Smalling.

They've all been our captain, spot the odd one out. The fact this clown is the captain just emphasises how far we've fallen.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Ferdinard vs Blackburn?
I'd sooner be a Prem player than Smalling reaching Ferdinand's level. The way he gave up on that fourth goal was pathetic. I'd feck him off the club just for that.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just does not have the right kick arse mentality. Not with the pressurised environment that is United. Also prone to too many brainfarts.

Zoo

Have to say I wasn't impressed when he was laughing in the tunnel pre-match. These things often get overplayed but it's up to him to set the tone, instead we were caught cold and conceded after 30 seconds.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
They already made their mind up that he should be sold. How he's at fault for the third goal is testament of this.

No, I think we shouldn't overreact and say we should sell every player.
He's had a bad game, but suddenly every man and his dog knows that he's a pub level defender is ridiculous.

Every time players have a bad game we should sell them? Do no other players ever have bad games?
I never said he is a pub level player or that he has to be sold because he is too shit for the squad.
He is not good enough to start and will likely not accept being a squad filler since he has his england career to think about as well, henche the gulf in his quality and what is needed to be first choice for someone with the ambition united should have is too big and is why he should be sold. That isnt an overreaction.

Players can have bad games, if they are squaddies your expectations of them go down, if they are first teamers you expect their average performances to be much better and the proper bad performances to be extremely far between.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Carragher just called him out for being at fault for 3 of the 4 goals (1st, 2nd and 4th) too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's being shown for what he is... A decent player, nothing more. He is useless on the ball and has been shocking lately. He suited Van Gaal's style of defending, which was man marking someone all game, but when he has to use his (non existant) football brain, he gets caught out. Has shit positioning and questionable decision making. He isn't a patch on Bailly and that's why we need another center back to partner Bailly, with Smalling being squad player quality at most IMO. Today was brutal.

Dobbs

Is it me or does he not look physically right? He looks slower, more cumbersome. Five years ago he had flaws in his game but one on one you backed him. Now he's terrible in that department.

Eddy_JukeZ

Was somehow even worse the 2nd half than the 1st half and that is honestly saying something.

That defending on Kante's goal was one of the worst bits of defending I've ever seen.

Just imagine what the likes of Neymar and Messi would do to him.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He's being shown for what he is... A decent player, nothing more. He is useless on the ball and has been shocking lately. He suited Van Gaal's style of defending, which was man marking someone all game, but when he has to use his (non existant) football brain, he gets caught out. Has shit positioning and questionable decision making. He isn't a patch on Bailly and that's why we need another center back to partner Bailly, with Smalling being squad player quality at most IMO. Today was brutal.
That's what I said pre-match. We looked very solid with Valencia/Bailly/Blind/Shaw at the start of the season. Soon as Mourinho brought him back in to the team we started to look ropey again. He should not be a starter and certainly not the captain. Would rather Tony V get the armband. He really is an average player.

Devil may care

He struggles badly when playing as the LCB, he's not comfortable on the ball to begin with and when he's on the opposite side to his natural foot it's emphasized even further, and I'm not just talking about passing but protecting the ball when it comes in under pressure, copntrolling it is important.

To me it has to be him or Bailly, not him with Bailly.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Goal 1:
Blind and DDG are (rightly) expecting him to collect the ball coming straight across him. He dithers and Pedro nicks it. Blind could be quicker off the mark, and DDG shouldn't be put in that situation, but its mainly on Smalling.
DDG expected Smalling to collect the ball? DDG comes out of his box and CALLS for Smalling to leave it (watch the replay, it's clear. Smalling steps aside to let DDG clear it from DDG's call). If DDG is expecting Smalling to collect the ball, he doesn't come out of his box. Infact, if DDG doesn't come for that at all, Smalling probably clears it with ease, or pokes it back to DDG to clear. Blind should't be expecting anything of Smalling there. Pedro is Blind's man, he plays him onside to even allow it to happen by being deeper than Smalling and Valencia (the most significant error of this comedy or errors), he doesn't communicate with Smalling about Pedro (Smalling doesn't know he is there, he is leaving the ball for DDG who has claimed it), he doesn't continue to follow Pedro's run and at least try to make it difficult for him. Smalling is caught between poor communication from DDG and no communication from Blind. Blind drops a bollock 3 times in one piece of play there.

Goal 2:
Let his man go completely free. Entirely his fault.
Agreed. He wasn't tight on Cahill from before the ball came in. Very poor. The one goal that was entirely his fault.

Goal 3:
Poor defending leading up to the goal from others, but he let Hazard take him the wrong way. He wont be the last to get skinned by Hazard so we can let him off somewhat.
Hazard will sell most centre backs down the river in the penalty area. He shouldn't have been allowed to stroll in unmarked. The damage was done before Smalling was involved.

Goal 4:
Kante (!!!!) twisted him inside out like an amateur. That was Sunday league standard defending.
Also agreed. Poor, but still not the most at fault from that goal, even though he was one of the three that were. Pogba just watched it happen and Blind goes rogue and leaves the whole left centre back position completely empty to chase Pedro who has his back to goal. The kind of thing David Luiz would always get lambasted for, losing his head and chasing the ball. Watch what Blind does when Pedro lays it off. He just flaps his hands and stands still. Smalling has to shift over to cover the gap. But Smalling definitely shoudn't let Kante get across him the way he did. Very poor, and knowing what Smalling is capable of he could have prevented it, but bigger errors made in the lead up to that goal.

You will struggle to find any other games where one player is directly responsible for four goals in one game.
You will. Today wasn't one. He was poor, I'm not suggesting otherwise, but he was at fault for 2 goals, which has been exaggerated to 4. The way the kneejerking was panning out in the match day thread, Courtois could have scored from a goal kick and it would have been Smalling's fault.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Smalling is just an average defender. I said it many times on here. I wanted us to sign one more CB in the summer and most of you were against it. We do not have a balanced team.

Giggs86

Used to be shit and then became one of our best players under LVG. Now he's regressing to his former self. Don't know what to take from that.

eggwithsideburns

He let us down today. Headless chicken stuff at times. He looked so good last season under LVG. Hope he can pick him self up and get back to those levels.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I think Smalling is taking Rooney's record for lowest match rating here on the forum. 2.2 average :lol:

Silas

Don't see what was wrong with Shaw-Blind-Bailly-Valencia. Back to that please Mou.

snk123

I pointed that out last year as well when every one was raving about him. He's overrated as f***.

Also, Chris, it's a ball not a bomb ffs.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Don't see what was wrong with Shaw-Blind-Bailly-Valencia. Back to that please Mou.
plus Bailly played better with Blind bizarrely enough.

Don't know what it is with our managers giving the remaining SAF players so much respect and responsibility they can't seem to handle, with the exception of Carrick but even he's not been stellar at times.

Also, take the arm band off of him - he doesn't have the mentality to be captain. Just give it to Herrera and be done with it.

Ixion

He's been hugely overrated on here for a while. He's good on his day but he's not one to build your defense around, he's no Pallister/Stam/Rio/Vidic.

AXVnee7

Smalling is at his best when he pushes up tight on a defender. He did a job on Sturridge on Monday. Today however Costa wasn't static, he was all over the place and Smalling struggled as a result.

donkeyfish

You will. Today wasn't one. He was poor, I'm not suggesting otherwise, but he was at fault for 2 goals, which has been exaggerated to 4. The way the kneejerking was panning out in the match day thread, Courtois could have scored from a goal kick and it would have been Smalling's fault.
I agree. I'd argue all our goals came from successive individual mistakes. A modern team is after all designed to fix one error, since there are safeties everywhere (in theory at least).

No defence for Smalling though, he was still poor. But its not like he was atrocious and the rest were excellent. A collective heap of crap our defensive display today.

Bojan11

Smalling struggles when a striker is next to him. When he has to mark someone physically he'd do the job.

But when the striker is drifting all over the place then he is clueless.

Djemba-Djemba

That goes down with Evans at West Ham a few years ago as one of the worst individual defensive performances I've seen for Utd.

From fecking 25 seconds onwards he was embarrassing.

Devil81

Seemed that obsessed keeping close to Costa he ended up losing his head.

Ban

Dare I say he needs to leave in the near future and we should get another CB. Maybe try TFM there in the meantime.

Jacko21

One thing is for sure, Mourinho will have no hesitation in jettisoning him for the club.

Same goes for several others.

ThanksBoss26

Of all the performances that pissed me off today (and there were 14 of them, 15 with Atkinson) it was his that annoyed me the most. Legitimately played a big part in all four conceded and spent most of the game looking like a gormless sod. Again.

The first half of last season, when he was admittedly excellent, seems an anomaly because the rest of the time he's shown himself to lack concentration, decisiveness, leadership and consistency. His decision making is absolutely woeful and it shows how far standards have slipped if he is considered a good centre half for us.

He'll never, ever be good enough to build a defence around to try and win the title. Which is a damning indictment when a partnership of Huth and Morgan won the league last season.

Aside from the obvious crap; Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini etc, he'd be the first I'd bomb out the door come summer.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Indecisive, with and without the ball.

Needs ten touches to control a football.

Status
Not open for further replies.