Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Dreadful performance, I know Bailly is injured but we still need to find a way of dropping this clown - he can't play again following that performance!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I look at the first Chelsea goal and I just don't understand why he's not taken the ball on his chest and hoofed it out. A day later and it still looks ridiculous.

Robbie Boy

Could give him a bash but he's extremely inexperienced. We shouldn't really have to rely on someone so inexperienced but unfortunately our experienced options are pretty awful and / or perpetually injured. It's madness that people went into this season thinking that we had adequate players for CB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I look at the first Chelsea goal and I just don't understand why he's not taken the ball on his chest and hoofed it out. A day later and it still looks ridiculous.
He sees Costa is infront of him dropping deep, so genuinely thought there was no danger and the ball would run through to DDG. Guess he didn't realise Pedro might be actually chasing the ball down. Should have just dealt with it and got rid of the danger, but for some reason everybody yesterday was indecisive and making poor decisions.

DDG should have just stayed on his line too, why did he come running out? MEH. It was a horror show all round let's be honest.

Big Andy

Bloke
He's fecking shite, the effeminate, shit defending, limp wristed shithouse...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He sees Costa is infront of him dropping deep, so genuinely thought there was no danger and the ball would run through to DDG. Guess he didn't realise Pedro might be actually chasing the ball down. Should have just dealt with it and got rid of the danger, but for some reason everybody yesterday was indecisive and making poor decisions.

DDG should have just stayed on his line too, why did he come running out? MEH. It was a horror show all round let's be honest.
De Gea came running out because Smalling called him to come out. It was a horror show.

Even if Pedro hadn't been there, there was no reason for Smalling not to take charge of the situation. Had no attackers been close he could've taken the ball down and played a pass. The complete absence of responsibility he showed was baffling. I thought he'd got over that after City away last year. Totally lost his head.

Big Andy

Bloke
How this cnut is our CAPTAIN, is beyond me...why not Zlatan, Pogba, Herrera...

Someone with a bit of bollocks and passion...Smalling is like the least passionate, one mooded bloke ever...

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Give the bloody captaincy to someone else. I don't think you'd get a reaction from him if you walked up and started pinching his shite goatee. He'd be out on his arse for the City game if our other options weren't shite or inexperienced.

Robbie Boy

Give the bloody captaincy to someone else. I don't think you'd get a reaction from him if you walked up and started pinching his shite goatee. He'd be out on his arse for the City game if our other options weren't shite or inexperienced.
:lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Only just seen the first goal, as I turned on as late as 45secs into the game Sunday.

What the bloody hell was he doing for the first goal. Looked like he was going to knock the ball, slowed down, and then De Gea oddly comes flying out as well.
What the bloody hell!

SteveW

This thread reminds me of when he got sent of against City. The same kind of nonsense was being spouted then. He came back and made everyone look like idiots by being brilliant for months on end and basically carrying the defense on his own.

He's saved us a lot ore points than he's cost us over the past couple of years. One bad (terrible) game doesn't change that.

montpelier

Well, this is quite interesting. Seems he was the best CB in the League not long ago & now he isn't.

I dunno really, had a shocker yesterday, obviously. Can play well, can make mistakes.

Overall, he's mobile enough, positions well normally. He was in a good position for the 1st goal yesterday, there wasn't a problem until he was far too clever & wanted to leave a ball he should play cos it's there in front of him, he's the last man & it's easy. A lot of CBs are not great on the ball, I think that's the least of the trouble.

Not sure he's aggressive enough - either physically or in attitude. General play-wise, he's proper assertive at the defending of corners, obviously. And happier with protection in front by the looks of it, which is OK if there is any, :(. Herrera & Pogba don't seem to be it.

Last edited:

RedFish

Well, this is quite interesting. Seems he was the best CB in the League not long ago & now he isn't.

I dunno really, had a shocker yesterday, obviously. Can play well, can make mistakes.

Overall, he's mobile enough, positions well normally. He was in a good position for the 1st goal yesterday, there wasn't a problem until he was far too clever & wanted to leave a ball he should play cos it's there in front of him, he's the last man & it's easy. A lot of CBs are not great on the ball, I think that's the least of the trouble.

Not sure he's aggressive enough - either physically or in attitude. General play-wise, he's proper assertive at the defending of corners, obviously. And happier with protection in front by the looks of it, which is OK if there is any, :(. Herrera & Pogba don't seem to be it.

I
He's fairly no-nonsense I suppose and he did do well last season. But next to Bailly he looks awfully pedestrian, and he doesn't read the game well enough to compensate. To top it all off he can't play football. We can do and need someone better.

montpelier

He's fairly no-nonsense I suppose and he did do well last season. But next to Bailly he looks awfully pedestrian, and he doesn't read the game well enough to compensate. To top it all off he can't play football. We can do and need someone better.
Ah well, what depresses me here, is that you're maybe not wrong but I had him quite a long way down the list of problems labelled 'need an upgrade'.

RedFish

Ah well, what depresses me here, is that you're maybe not wrong but I had him quite a long way down the list of problems labelled 'need an upgrade'.
Not saying he should be straight out of the door. He's a decent player, but I want us to have a world class, no doubt about it, feck you spine to the team. His position, as the CB in the base of the spine demands better. With all the money floating around it's so damn hard getting the right player at the right time but if that player becomes available, we should move without hesitation and decisively, Like we should with Griezmann.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Never liked the idea of him getting the arm band. Much rather have given it to De Gea. Knowing our recent luck with captains, De Gea would turn shit if he took it too.

RedFish

Never liked the idea of him getting the arm band. Much rather have given it to De Gea. Knowing our recent luck with captains, De Gea would turn shit if he took it too.
If Herrera continues his resurgence he could be the man that makes our team tick. I'd have no hesitation in handing him the arm band if he made one of the CM spots his own although I know he has many doubters on here. Anyway not to derail the thread....

goin4glory

He's only here because other areas of the squad needed urgent attention but he's simply not good enough and has never been good enough.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think the treble team was the only united team were i felt we were superior to anybody. We owned most games and we won with style.

However the cl final wasnt one of those games. Sure we lost keane and scholes but bayern dominated us. Their defense was impeccable. Matthaus was the brains and kuffour provided the muscle

Bayern were unlucky that night and they dominated us. However they made 1 mistake ie they got cocky. At the end they decided to rest lothar. The german wasnt a spring chicken anymore and for their part the game was won.

Guess what? As soon as lothar left the pitch the defence went bonkers. We scored a goal and then we scored another. We all know how that ended

Smalling reminds me of kuffour. Hes a big, tall player whose unbeatable in the physical game however he lack brains. Maybe one day he will develop that brain. However till then he needs someone at his back to keep him in check

Litch

He's improved but fundamentally his game is floored cause he has no football brain. I also think modern top class CB's are just now big CM's and long gone are the days when it was only about tackling and heading. You need to be much better with the ball at your feet and it's not just about his 10 yard passes to a midfielder. Smalling sometimes looks like he's put his boots on the wrong feet....

RedFish

I think the treble team was the only united team were i felt we were superior to anybody. We owned most games and we won with style.

However the cl final wasnt one of those games. Sure we lost keane and scholes but bayern dominated us. Their defense was impeccable. Matthaus was the brains and kuffour provided the muscle

Bayern were unlucky that night and they dominated us. However they made 1 mistake ie they got cocky. At the end they decided to rest lothar. The german wasnt a spring chicken anymore and for their part the game was won.

Guess what? As soon as lothar left the pitch the defence went bonkers. We scored a goal and then we scored another. We all know how that ended

Smalling reminds me of kuffour. Hes a big, tall player whose unbeatable in the physical game however he lack brains. Maybe one day he will develop that brain. However till then he needs someone at his back to keep him in check
He's no Stam or Vida, and he's certainly no Rio or Carvalho. He's a compromise. He's a decent player, but we need more than decent. We're floundering as a club right now, and we need a change of attitude. Standards need to be higher and if you're going to play for Utd, you should be amongst the best. The competition is improving rapidly and we're falling behind. If we don't address this then we should accept being a top 6 team - no fecking way.

RedFish

He's improved but fundamentally his game is floored cause he has no football brain. I also think modern top class CB's are just now big CM's and long gone are the days when it was only about tackling and heading. You need to be much better with the ball at your feet and it's not just about his 10 yard passes to a midfielder. Smalling sometimes looks like he's put his boots on the wrong feet....
Awkward....:lol:

Litch

He's no Stam or Vida, and he's certainly no Rio or Carvalho. He's a compromise. He's a decent player, but we need more than decent. We're floundering as a club right now, and we need a change of attitude. Standards need to be higher and if you're going to play for Utd, you should be amongst the best. The competition is improving rapidly and we're falling behind. If we don't address this then we should accept being a top 6 team - no fecking way.
Couldn't agree more. Smalling currently can't get into a poor England team. I'd take either of the Southampton CB's over Smalling and Blind

PeteManic

If he wasn't English, Fergie never would have signed him never mind him BEING FECKING UNITED CAPTAIN!

Also see Phil Jones.

Bojan11

1 bad game, and he goes from a very good defender to being a fifth of the player Johnny Evans is

This place is crazy
He has big flaws though.

He needs like a minute to control the ball. Then two minutes to dwell on it.

He is a great man marker. But when a striker is moving all over the place then he struggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.