Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yes, he has. He was the league;s best CB until November, but since then he was outplayed even by our Blind, and was quite poor for many games, with the others being just 'average'. He's big though, so it is all fine.
Blind outplaying Smalling for the 2nd half of the season is a myth that refuses to die. According to caf ratings, and your criteria of Smalling bombing since November, here is Smalling vs Blind ratings from December to the end of the season in every game that both played together.

vs West Ham
Smalling 6.9
Blind 5.8

vs Wolfsburg
Smalling 5.5
Blind 5.5

vs Norwich
Smalling 5.0
Blind 4.6

vs Stoke
Smalling 4.8
Blind 3.7

vs Chelsea
Smalling 6.6
Blind 6.0

vs Swansea
Smalling 6.3
Blind 5.6

vs Sheff United
Smalling 6.5
Blind 5.9

vs Newcastle
Smalling 4.1
Blind 5.0

vs Liverpool
Smalling 6.4
Blind 6.2

vs Southampton
Smalling 5.1
Blind 4.5

vs Derby
Smalling 6.3
Blind 7.1

vs Stoke
Smalling 7
Blind 7

vs Chelsea
Smalling 6.8
Blind 6.4

vs Sunderland
Smalling 4.7
Blind 5.2

vs Midtylland
Smalling 3.7
Blink 3.8

vs Shrewsbury
Smalling 6.9
Blind 6.5

vs WBA
Smalling 6.4
Blind 4.2

vs Liverpool
Smalling 3.9
Blind 3.9

vs West Ham
Smalling 5.9
Blind 5.3

vs Liverpool
Smalling 5.2
Blind 5.1

vs City
Smalling 7.3
Blind 6.9

vs Everton
Smalling 6.6
Blind 8.0

vs Spurs
Smalling 5.0
Blind 4.5

vs West Ham
Smalling 6.6
Blind 6.4

vs Villa
Smalling 6.1
Blind 6.0

vs Palace
Smalling 6.8
Blind 6.4

vs Everton
Smalling 6.0
Blind 6.5

vs Leicester
Smalling 5.8
Blind 5.9

vs West Ham
Smalling 4.7
Blind 3.3

vs Bournemouth
Smalling 5.7
Blind 6.2

vs Palace
Smalling 4.8
Blind 6.1

So, according to all of us, between December to the end of the season, Smalling was our best centre back 19 times. Blind was our best centre back 9 times. They were both equal 3 times. For all those who revert back to last season with the view that Blind supposedly carried Smalling, not many were thinking it at the time, from the numbers above. I also think he was better than Blind in the cup final, but he took a 2nd booking to stop Palace counter attacking 3 vs 2 so that effected his rating. But it doesn't matter.

Also, I'm not sure if your criteria means from the start of November, or as November ended, but Smalling was our highest rated centre back in every game in November, and was voted MOTM in two games.

His form dipped individually in April, IMO. The whole team bombed in December, and we were pretty awful for the remainder of the season, but I don't think Smalling started to show his own fatigue and carelessness until April. There wasn't really any outfield player in the squad who wasn't average in the 2nd half of the season, aside from Rashford and to a lesser extent Martial. Blind certainly wasn't better than Smalling for any length of time, bar the odd game.

The United

Blind outplaying Smalling for the 2nd half of the season is a myth that refuses to die. According to caf ratings, and your criteria of Smalling bombing since November, here is Smalling vs Blind ratings from December to the end of the season in every game that both played together.

vs West Ham
Smalling 6.9
Blind 5.8

vs Wolfsburg
Smalling 5.5
Blind 5.5

vs Norwich
Smalling 5.0
Blind 4.6

vs Stoke
Smalling 4.8
Blind 3.7

vs Chelsea
Smalling 6.6
Blind 6.0

vs Swansea
Smalling 6.3
Blind 5.6

vs Sheff United
Smalling 6.5
Blind 5.9

vs Newcastle
Smalling 4.1
Blind 5.0

vs Liverpool
Smalling 6.4
Blind 6.2

vs Southampton
Smalling 5.1
Blind 4.5

vs Derby
Smalling 6.3
Blind 7.1

vs Stoke
Smalling 7
Blind 7

vs Chelsea
Smalling 6.8
Blind 6.4

vs Sunderland
Smalling 4.7
Blind 5.2

vs Midtylland
Smalling 3.7
Blink 3.8

vs Shrewsbury
Smalling 6.9
Blind 6.5

vs WBA
Smalling 6.4
Blind 4.2

vs Liverpool
Smalling 3.9
Blind 3.9

vs West Ham
Smalling 5.9
Blind 5.3

vs Liverpool
Smalling 5.2
Blind 5.1

vs City
Smalling 7.3
Blind 6.9

vs Everton
Smalling 6.6
Blind 8.0

vs Spurs
Smalling 5.0
Blind 4.5

vs West Ham
Smalling 6.6
Blind 6.4

vs Villa
Smalling 6.1
Blind 6.0

vs Palace
Smalling 6.8
Blind 6.4

vs Everton
Smalling 6.0
Blind 6.5

vs Leicester
Smalling 5.8
Blind 5.9

vs West Ham
Smalling 4.7
Blind 3.3

vs Bournemouth
Smalling 5.7
Blind 6.2

vs Palace
Smalling 4.8
Blind 6.1

So, according to all of us, between December to the end of the season, Smalling was our best centre back 19 times. Blind was our best centre back 9 times. They were both equal 3 times. For all those who revert back to last season with the view that Blind supposedly carried Smalling, not many were thinking it at the time, from the numbers above. I also think he was better than Blind in the cup final, but he took a 2nd booking to stop Palace counter attacking 3 vs 2 so that effected his rating. But it doesn't matter.

Also, I'm not sure if your criteria means from the start of November, or as November ended, but Smalling was our highest rated centre back in every game in November, and was voted MOTM in two games.

His form dipped individually in April, IMO. The whole team bombed in December, and we were pretty awful for the remainder of the season, but I don't think Smalling started to show his own fatigue and carelessness until April. There wasn't really any outfield player in the squad who wasn't average in the 2nd half of the season, aside from Rashford and to a lesser extent Martial. Blind certainly wasn't better than Smalling for any length of time, bar the odd game.
Wait so this is based on CAF's rating? Ah ok.

Revan

Assumptionman

vs West Ham
Smalling 6.9
Blind 5.8

vs Wolfsburg
Smalling 5.5
Blind 5.5

vs Norwich
Smalling 5.0
Blind 4.6

vs Stoke
Smalling 4.8
Blind 3.7

vs Chelsea
Smalling 6.6
Blind 6.0

vs Swansea
Smalling 6.3
Blind 5.6

vs Sheff United
Smalling 6.5
Blind 5.9

vs Newcastle
Smalling 4.1
Blind 5.0

vs Liverpool
Smalling 6.4
Blind 6.2

vs Southampton
Smalling 5.1
Blind 4.5

vs Derby
Smalling 6.3
Blind 7.1

vs Stoke
Smalling 7
Blind 7

vs Chelsea
Smalling 6.8
Blind 6.4

vs Sunderland
Smalling 4.7
Blind 5.2

vs Midtylland
Smalling 3.7
Blink 3.8

vs Shrewsbury
Smalling 6.9
Blind 6.5

vs WBA
Smalling 6.4
Blind 4.2

vs Liverpool
Smalling 3.9
Blind 3.9

vs West Ham
Smalling 5.9
Blind 5.3

vs Liverpool
Smalling 5.2
Blind 5.1

vs City
Smalling 7.3
Blind 6.9

vs Everton
Smalling 6.6
Blind 8.0

vs Spurs
Smalling 5.0
Blind 4.5

vs West Ham
Smalling 6.6
Blind 6.4

vs Villa
Smalling 6.1
Blind 6.0

vs Palace
Smalling 6.8
Blind 6.4

vs Everton
Smalling 6.0
Blind 6.5

vs Leicester
Smalling 5.8
Blind 5.9

vs West Ham
Smalling 4.7
Blind 3.3

vs Bournemouth
Smalling 5.7
Blind 6.2

vs Palace
Smalling 4.8
Blind 6.1

That is great, but Smalling was the most overrated player in the Caf last season, and a lot of people disliked Blind for not being a CB. There were comments after the matches which have nothing to do with reality, like when a lot of people were praising Smalling for his handling of Lukaku which never happened, cause it was Lukaku vs Blind for the entire match.

So yeah, I stand by what I was saying for the entire year, that Blind was our best CB last season and outperformed Smalling since December, with Smalling actually being quite bad in many matches (especially near the ending of the season).

NB: I meant after November. He tanked vs Wolfsburg and after that, he magically changed back to the player he always was. The match against Newcastle in particular, might be the worst ever performance I have seen from a United defender, and something that Rojo would have been proud to do.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ah well. If he's overrated by us, then the majority of the squad agrees too, since he was their player of the year. His performances were recognised by many outside of the Caf too and United circles. Was he overrated by everyone?

Feel free to post quotes about Smalling handling Lukaku, as I don't remember that from memory. The ratings above show Blind got an 8 for that game, which indicates that his handling of Lukaku was recognised. I certainly remember Blind getting a lot of praise for that game, quite rightly.

Changed to the player he "always was"? He'd been very highly rated for some time and put in excellent performances before last season. It was only really injury and playing at RB holding him back. The sporadic chances he got at CB (and did very well with) is what got many here excited about his potential.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That is great, but Smalling was the most overrated player in the Caf last season, and a lot of people disliked Blind for not being a CB. There were comments after the matches which have nothing to do with reality, like when a lot of people were praising Smalling for his handling of Lukaku which never happened, cause it was Lukaku vs Blind for the entire match.

So yeah, I stand by what I was saying for the entire year, that Blind was our best CB last season and outperformed Smalling since December, with Smalling actually being quite bad in many matches (especially near the ending of the season).

NB: I meant after November. He tanked vs Wolfsburg and after that, he magically changed back to the player he always was. The match against Newcastle in particular, might be the worst ever performance I have seen from a United defender, and something that Rojo would have been proud to do.
I agree that Smalling had many average to poor performances in the second half of the season but you can't say that and ignore that Blind had lot of those in second half of the season too. There were few games in a row where Blind played like a drunk, everyone was laughing at him, many expected van Gaal to replace him after just few minutes in couple of those games and it never happened. I am not sure Smalling was ever that laughably bad.

And btw, I like how everyone also ignores how good Smalling was for the end of season before, he was brilliant after that City game, but now all of you ignore that. He also had couple of very good periods under Fergie that were mostly interrupted by injuries, including very good first year at United. But yeah, he was always a donkey, that is always easieest thing to say.

Last edited:

Infra-red

Neither Smalling nor Bailly are capable of playing out from the back. Long term they should be competing for the same starting spot next to someone who is.

Unfortunately at the moment the only players we have to do that are midfielders; an experienced ball-playing centre-back should be top priority in January.

devips

I see here that Caf's own ratings have drawn some derisive sniggers. What, guys? You feel your own opinion has little value, because it changes when the flavour of the month changes?

Self-awareness is something sublime. Next stop Nirvana!

surf

Chosen by his peers as the club's player of the year last season, now just getting started this season, and at left centre back which is not quite his best position. Think he is being underestimated in this thread and that Mourinho will like him.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think he excelled under Van Gaal's man-marking setup and can't see him replicating that again this season. It sounded like Mourinho wants him and Bailly as first choice but if Bailly can keep it up all season - tough ask for a new defender - then I'd play him and Blind myself.

SteveW

vs West Ham
Smalling 6.9
Blind 5.8

vs Wolfsburg
Smalling 5.5
Blind 5.5

vs Norwich
Smalling 5.0
Blind 4.6

vs Stoke
Smalling 4.8
Blind 3.7

vs Chelsea
Smalling 6.6
Blind 6.0

vs Swansea
Smalling 6.3
Blind 5.6

vs Sheff United
Smalling 6.5
Blind 5.9

vs Newcastle
Smalling 4.1
Blind 5.0

vs Liverpool
Smalling 6.4
Blind 6.2

vs Southampton
Smalling 5.1
Blind 4.5

vs Derby
Smalling 6.3
Blind 7.1

vs Stoke
Smalling 7
Blind 7

vs Chelsea
Smalling 6.8
Blind 6.4

vs Sunderland
Smalling 4.7
Blind 5.2

vs Midtylland
Smalling 3.7
Blink 3.8

vs Shrewsbury
Smalling 6.9
Blind 6.5

vs WBA
Smalling 6.4
Blind 4.2

vs Liverpool
Smalling 3.9
Blind 3.9

vs West Ham
Smalling 5.9
Blind 5.3

vs Liverpool
Smalling 5.2
Blind 5.1

vs City
Smalling 7.3
Blind 6.9

vs Everton
Smalling 6.6
Blind 8.0

vs Spurs
Smalling 5.0
Blind 4.5

vs West Ham
Smalling 6.6
Blind 6.4

vs Villa
Smalling 6.1
Blind 6.0

vs Palace
Smalling 6.8
Blind 6.4

vs Everton
Smalling 6.0
Blind 6.5

vs Leicester
Smalling 5.8
Blind 5.9

vs West Ham
Smalling 4.7
Blind 3.3

vs Bournemouth
Smalling 5.7
Blind 6.2

vs Palace
Smalling 4.8
Blind 6.1

Good post. Amazing the way history can be just casually rewritten on here.

sport2793

I think most of this discussion is much ado about nothing. Not much separates Smalling, Bailly, and Blind for me. They are all capable of world class performances on their day and they all are prone to a mistake or two. All 3 will be needed to play at a high level if we want to challenge for any trophy this season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think most of this discussion is much ado about nothing. Not much separates Smalling, Bailly, and Blind for me. They are all capable of world class performances on their day and they all are prone to a mistake or two. All 3 will be needed to play at a high level if we want to challenge for any trophy this season.
I agree with this. Blind is my favourite of the three but as it stands they're all fairly capable players. I'm not sure if any of them will be good enough for a team consistently challenging for titles, but we'll find out in the coming seasons.

Northampton 1:3 Man Utd

DWelbz19

The striker he was up against was only really a league one clogger but he really dominated him physically all game. Hopefully he continues this against Leicester as we'll definitely need it against Slimani, who is a bit of a monster.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
His rating being 4.3 is a joke :lol:

Another solid performance, dominant aerial presence too.

Rossa

Really good today, even if it was against poor opposition. He and Carrick were probably the only ones (also Ashford) who looked like two levels above their opponents. Well, Herrera was also pretty good.

m1y2

havent seen the first half but he was immense in the second half, probably the best defensive header of the ball in the game, Blind was average at best, even with his passing today... Easily Bailly and Blind to rotate for me now..

Kag

People may argue it doesn't make a difference, but Smalling is so much better when on the right side of defence. We've seen more than enough now to know this.

Rossa

People may argue it doesn't make a difference, but Smalling is so much better when on the right side of defence. We've seen more than enough now to know this.
He is. Looks much more comfortable on the ball also. I recall Evans also saying he preferred the right as he was most comfortable playing the ball out from there

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Good performance today. Though his constant shirt pulling frustrates me no end.

Devil may care

Dominant against their big clunkers in the air.

I agree, he's not technically all that good so playing on the side that allows him to take the ball more comfortably with his strong foot is important.

Sylar

Easily. He looks more comfortable and it strangely probably helps him concentrate on actually defending, lol

Bwuk

He's immense, isn't he? Our best defender. But why does he have to take a touch to make the most simple of passes? He needs to improve that as it slows down our attacks from the back.
He'll ever improve on that, he lacks the technical ability he'd of gotten coming through an academy.

Good header for the goal. Just rose above Huth and whoever the other Leicester marker was.

DWelbz19

Please add headed goals to your game consistently, Chris.

Rossa

He'll ever improve on that, he lacks the technical ability he'd of gotten coming through an academy.

Good header for the goal. Just rose above Huth and whoever the other Leicester marker was.
Even I can make those simple first touch, and so should he - it's more a mindset thing I believe. He isn't the most technically gifted, but he is one helluva defender and we need him for his aerial presence at the back; Bailly isn't close to his ability in the air. Having Blind next to him, Smalling can concentrate on the easy things. I think it might be Shaw having to fight for his place.

Devil may care

I liked the way he learned from his previous game with Bailly, he's used to being more aggressive with Blind, but today I felt he was more measured and let Bailly be the front foot CB. I still think playing in the left channel hurts him though as he's awkward on the ball.

The United

I liked the way he learned from his previous game with Bailly, he's used to being more aggressive with Blind, but today I felt he was more measured and let Bailly be the front foot CB. I still think playing in the left channel hurts him though as he's awkward on the ball.
He would run into the midfield, even pass a few players then turns around to pass it back to whoever is there. It is pretty weird.

But, obviously a good defender and will be fine as long as someone is doing some decent passing around him from the deep.

OldTrevil

His partnership with Bailly has potential, and the're both yet to reach their primes. Smalling for sure has to improve on the ball, but you could already see that today with some of his passes. He's such a good defender that we can live with it though.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
His partnership with Bailly has potential, and the're both yet to reach their primes. Smalling for sure has to improve on the ball, but you could already see that today with some of his passes. He's such a good defender that we can live with it though.
Blind next to him created the easy outball he didn't have last week. Neither Fellaini or Pogba show for the ball on a consistent basis, whereas Herrera and Blind were both good options today for the defenders.

Revan

Assumptionman
Best performance of him this season. While I think that Bailly was even better (mostly because of his unprecedented aggressiveness), Smalling was very good too. His goal reminded me of Vidic, captain coming to score when we were under pressure.

I said in Blind's thread, but I think that having Blind next to him helped him a lot. He usually plays poor as LCB (compared to RCB), but with Blind near him, he had always an easy passing option and didn't have to also distribute the ball. Just concentrate in defense, pass the ball to Blind and everything is going to be fine.

I think that as long as Shaw is out we need to persist with this defense, after that, Mourinho needs to decide to continue with it, or drop one of him and Bailly. The defense needs at least a player who can pass the ball well in today's football.

Sylar

He always seemed a nearly man from corners for us. Like he would get there but blaze it over, or mistouch something or not get his head on it properly despite a good run.

Nice to see him scoring. Shame he couldnt get a clean sheet.

Rossa

Best performance of him this season. While I think that Bailly was even better (mostly because of his unprecedented aggressiveness), Smalling was very good too. His goal reminded me of Vidic, captain coming to score when we were under pressure.

I said in Blind's thread, but I think that having Blind next to him helped him a lot. He usually plays poor as LCB (compared to RCB), but with Blind near him, he had always an easy passing option and didn't have to also distribute the ball. Just concentrate in defense, pass the ball to Blind and everything is going to be fine.

I think that as long as Shaw is out we need to persist with this defense, after that, Mourinho needs to decide to continue with it, or drop one of him and Bailly. The defense needs at least a player who can pass the ball well in today's football.
Spot on - he has a very good understanding with Blind, and Blind's ability to find a pass even when there are eighteen players surrounding him is quite amazing. It enables Smalling to focus on the simple things, which he does really well. His passing improved in the second half as well, even had a couple of good one touch passes, which I think he needs to do more - move the ball faster.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
For all the talk about his poor passing, which I agree with btw, I am yet to see how Bailly is much better at distributing the ball from the back than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.