Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Not this crap again. Vidic was a very underestimated passer of the ball, way way better than Smalling. You got fooled because he might've looked clumsy and certainly not elegant.
He was solid, no more no less just like Smalling. The only difference is he was playing in a well organised team with Carrick, Scholes in front of him and Evra and Rio next to him which makes it much easier to play supposed to playing with Fellaini and Rojo.

20le_Solskjaer

He was solid, no more no less just like Smalling. The only difference is he was playing in a well organised team with Carrick, Scholes in front of him and Evra and Rio next to him which makes it much easier to play supposed to playing with Fellaini and Rojo.
Why not compare it to Blind and Herrera?

m1y2

Not this crap again. Vidic was a very underestimated passer of the ball, way way better than Smalling. You got fooled because he might've looked clumsy and certainly not elegant.
I guess you're the one talking crap, why do people need to exaggerate all the time? WAY WAY better, what a nonsense, it almost sounds like we are talking about Bonucci.. Vidic was average passer and so is Smalling, there is not much between the two, if anything the description fits for Smalling. Vidic and Smalling were both no-nonsense defenders so their main goal on the pitch is to defend.. some people here talking about him like he's some rugby player who can't control the ball, I am pretty tired of this shit, just because we don't have enough movement in midfield, ppl call for ball playing defender, sort the midfield issues first..

Regarding the last game, can't see any problem with Smalling's passing, when he got the ball tried to move it on quickly, except the times when he tried to drive with the ball forward, no hoofing which is good. Very reliable defensively like always

OldTrevil

It feels good having a defense that doesn't make you nervous when opposition is running at us. Bailly Smalling partnership needs a chance to gel more but the distribution issues are exaggerated. Smalling has clearly improved on it and people forget he was good on the ball when he first joined so that's an area I'm confident he will sort out soon. Bailly's ability on the ball is underrated, almost as if people ignore it when he's out there giving accurate and incisive passes. These two have all the ability in the world to form our new rock defense.

Man Utd 1:1 Stoke

ZDwyr

I thought he was good again. Not quite as good as Bailly but still decent. Surprised his rating is so low.

Minimalist

I think it's a little embarassing how much better and controlled on the ball Bailly is compared to him.

Some moments in the last 30 minutes I cringed watching his touches. We could do better I think. I'm not saying he's crap either before anyone jumps on me.

prath92

Was solid and excellent. I don't think could do anything for the goal.

But he needs to show more effort on the ball. A small pressure and he passes it to de gea. Today I remember Bailly was being chased down by shaqiri or someone Smalling pointed towards de gea but Bailly simply kept the ball with him and recycled it.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I think it's a little embarassing how much better and controlled on the ball Bailly is compared to him.

Some moments in the last 30 minutes I cringed watching his touches. We could do better I think. I'm not saying he's crap either before anyone jumps on me.
I know what you mean. He's lack of composure just straight up annoys me now where as it used to be charming. Get a grip man! And I love the guy.

Devil may care

Some of his first touches are Rooney-esque. Still not feeling him and Bailly as a balanced partnership.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
One of my fave, but he was ball watching for the goal. I'm extremely dissapointed with that, and hopefully Mou will iron that out.

Can't get the picture out of my mind, his fool face just stand there watching 2 opponents react faster to the rebound.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Thought he was going to Tombstone Emre Can when he got his shot away. It was some grapple. He might just be more handsy than Skrtel ever was, which would be some feat.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Needs to stop grabbing shirts, but defensively great again.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm fecking sick of seeing him grab opponents' shirts. How stupid is he? He's constantly giving away freekicks for it and today it could have been even more costly. He needs to cut it out because it's only a matter of time before he gets punished at the worst possible time.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Shirt grab aside, he was one of the main reasons Sturridge just couldn't get a sniff in the game for the first half.

Skills

Snitch
Only morons on here would complain about something every single defender in the league does. It doesn't get called anywhere near enough, for even the complete and utter idiots that exist in our own fan base to be complaining about it. Every defender knows what they're doing in that position.

Great defending and great performance.

Devil may care

Solid performance, thought he needed to be more vocal with the ref who was giving us nothing.

Rossa

Shirt grab aside, he was one of the main reasons Sturridge just couldn't get a sniff in the game for the first half.
Sturbridge couldn't even have gotten a sniff at Escobar's warehouses; he has lost all of his pace in one go and looks more and more like Rooney out there on the pitch, quite baffling really.

Kag

I'm fecking sick of seeing him grab opponents' shirts. How stupid is he? He's constantly giving away freekicks for it and today it could have been even more costly. He needs to cut it out because it's only a matter of time before he gets punished at the worst possible time.
Not very stupid, considering he defends well almost all of the time.

He doesn't give away free kicks regularly either.

Globule

Not very stupid, considering he defends well almost all of the time.

He doesn't give away free kicks regularly either.
Pretty much every game he'll get a freekick against him for pulling players. it's frustrating because it's so easily avoidable. I could even forgive it if the player was about to pass him to get into a dangerous position, but it's not. he just does it out of instinct. There was no reason for him to be pulling Coutinho's shirt today.

Kag

Pretty much every game he'll get a freekick against him for pulling players. it's frustrating because it's so easily avoidable. I could even forgive it if the player was about to pass him to get into a dangerous position, but it's not. he just does it out of instinct. There was no reason for him to be pulling Coutinho's shirt today.
I'm not entirely sure that is true. Infact, in terms of free kicks conceded, I'd be willing to wager that Smalling would be towards the bottom of the pile in the league. Could be wrong, though.

He should try cut it down when in the box, though, I agree.

SteveW

Good defending isn't all sweetness and light. I like the fact that he understands the darker side of the game. He's a terrific defender

Globule

Good defending isn't all sweetness and light. I like the fact that he understands the darker side of the game. He's a terrific defender
Don't get me wrong. I think he's a good defender and is rightly first choice. And I know defending isn't all sweetness and light - I used to play CB and the tactics I used to block strikers would put him to shame, but he could be so much smarter with using the dark arts. He's just far too obvious about it - he might as well have taken Coutinho's shirt off him tonight. Mark my words it'll cost us this season and I won't be the last person to complain about it.

Redlyn

Only morons on here would complain about something every single defender in the league does. It doesn't get called anywhere near enough, for even the complete and utter idiots that exist in our own fan base to be complaining about it. Every defender knows what they're doing in that position.

Great defending and great performance.
Fortunately we are not at the beginning of the season where they kind of went OTT with these incidents with some shocking pennos awarded. When think of OTT, i recall when GLT was first introduced at the WC. Even the clear net busting goals got a slow over the line replay until they got a grip. Just a bit of a random comment...

Loublaze

ATLien
Proud of him captaining the team in Rooney's absence. Well deserved clean sheet tonight

Mike09

Was lucky to not concede a penalty. Was grabbing Can's shirt as he tried to take the shot.
I don't think it was lucky that we didn't concede a penalty, and I don't think it was stupid to grab player's shirt. In my view that's normal for any defenders in PL. You pull someone shirt in an angle where the referee can't see it and that's not stupid. I have seen Vidic did the same thing so many times.
Would you call Vidic stupid and lucky to get away from pulling van der vaart's shirt like this one? To me it's a smart move from Vidic.

Rossa

Smalling and Bailly centrally gives us so much physicality. With Valencia on the right back and Shaw on the left, there aren't defenders capable to exploit the space in behind when we stand high up the pitch like we did today. Smalling covered a fair bit on the left, but Blind deserves praise as well as he rarely let anyone run in behind him and was very good one on one.

One thing Smalling is great at is shielding the attackers away from goal. When they make runs down the 18 yard box, they rarely ever get anything from Smalling - that was actually something Vidic struggled a lot with, when he was dragged wide. When Smalling is dragged wide, he almost always wins those duels.

Red_Beans

Smalling and Bailly centrally gives us so much physicality. With Valencia on the right back and Shaw on the left, there aren't defenders capable to exploit the space in behind when we stand high up the pitch like we did today. Smalling covered a fair bit on the left, but Blind deserves praise as well as he rarely let anyone run in behind him and was very good one on one.

One thing Smalling is great at is shielding the attackers away from goal. When they make runs down the 18 yard box, they rarely ever get anything from Smalling - that was actually something Vidic struggled a lot with, when he was dragged wide. When Smalling is dragged wide, he almost always wins those duels.[/QUOTE]

He is probably more confident in those wide areas because of the experience he has playing full back

The_Midfielder

How do you accommodate Blind if Shaw plays ?Blind is the best passer we have, so he has to play..

Status
Not open for further replies.