Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

Actually he did. He had some good footwork but then ruined it by diving trying to buy a freekick when he didnt need to. Had he not flung himself to the floor it was good play, so he messed up there
Someone will have to post a replay @GifLord (?). Whilst he was under 'some' pressure, he fecked up by turning, had a loose touch (not 'good' footwork') then dived.

Basically it boils down to his lack of composure and ability on the ball. Not even his ardent supporters can spin that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought he was awful today.

Usually I think he's a great defender but he looked completely at sea today. Should have given away a penalty, just a general liability.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He wasn't at fault for the goal but the usual people wanting a scapegoat have theirs
You mean letting his man set up the scoring player?

He was rubbish the whole match, his is thick as muck and should be shot out of the club by a fecking cannon.

El Jefe

The voice of reason among a sea of bullshit.

He still shouldnt have dived, but can we defend a set piece for once please? Smalling was the one person tracking his man, yes the player had a very nice flick but Smalling was goalside like he should be making sure it cant go towards goal. Maybe if anyone else was tracking players or if Pogba wasnt seemingly injured and could jump for the header (similar to when smalling was injured and couldnt do much earlier in the season) then we wouldnt have conceeded.
:lol::lol: Why am I not surprised that it's you that tries to stick up for Smalling.

This thread is about Smalling and not other players and almost everyone can agree he was shite today.

Canagel

I'm done with this guy. Sell him to West Brom or Everton in the summer. That's his level.

Cardiff_Boy

Wonder what could have been if we had Laporte or Keane instead of Lindelof and of course Smalling

vangagal

He wasn't at fault for the goal but the usual people wanting a scapegoat have theirs
That freekick should not happen in first place if not for that beautifull diving from Smalling. Almost under no pressure but he managed to made a amazing diving in centre of field. A simple forward pass would do but he managed to feck it.
And those defending corner? why he let his man free? Can't he communicate with Jones who should mark who? Or its De Gea fault not to managed the defending? Or its Pogba's fault for letting players free in front of goal? Or its Jose's fault he did nothing in those defending situation?

Ekeke

Is he shit? Yes
Should he play for us? No
Do we have other issues? Yes
Should we discuss the player in his fecking thread? Yes

We had the chances to win today. This wasn't even close to as bad as Spurs but still a shitty result.
And even here when you think you're being reasonable, you arent.

Yes he should play for us. Any team in the league would take him as a backup. Thats the real and valid argument - Should he be starting? In my opinion yes because he's our best defensive player and finding someone as good as him defensively whilst being good on the ball would cost a lot. Its certainly possible to find that person but I can't off the top of my head name them. They certainly arent in our current squad.

Defending is a team-wide job. We're not very good at it without Smalling who often covers a bunch of other players weaknesses bailing them out with good defensive play. But hes no miracle worker. He cant track his own player on a set piece and stop them going towards goal, whilst also tracking other runners in the box and winning a defensive header at the same time. He's no Vidic and thats not his fault.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Its amazing our fans would rather try and scapegoat a single player rather than address the real issue of the team. We're the tallest team we've ever been, tallest team in the league and yet we cant defend set pieces and regularly conceed from them. Why did Mourinho want all these tall players again?
Fans have to scapegoat someone!

Yes the "dive" was a strange one, but we had loads back for that free kick, yet still matey can cruise into an empty box and have an easy shot.

Martial and Sanchez should have scored before we'd even got into talking about this.

IRELANDUNITED

He gave away the free that led to the goal with a pathetic dive so therefore he was at fault.

I'm not one to give a knee-jerk reaction to a loss, we lost today, should have won but move on, we're still in an OK position but it's been clear for a long time that Smalling is not good enough to be playing for Manchester United. He has been very fortunate to be at this club for as long as he has and I think he'll be gone in the summer, he is simply not good enough. He's an Everton/West Ham play in a United players kit. Ever Garth Southgate, clueless as he is, know's he's not good enough and wont take him to Russia in the summer.

engulfing

Mentally weak. Dives and gets carded and immediately loses focus and gets dragged out of position for the goal. He's only good enough to be 4th choice for a title winning team. That mean we need another top quality centre back. Right now we have too many liabilities at centre back.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That freekick should not happen in first place if not for that beautifull diving from Smalling. Almost under no pressure but he managed to made a amazing diving in centre of field. A simple forward pass would do but he managed to feck it.
And those defending corner? why he let his man free? Can't he communicate with Jones who should mark who? Or its De Gea fault not to managed the defending? Or its Pogba's fault for letting players free in front of goal? Or its Jose's fault he did nothing in those defending situation?
It's because he fecked up his first touch, then his second and overran the ball. Terrible technique led to that dive, it's even worse when you think about it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yeah, he was proper shit today, and I bloody love that awkward lump. I don't think he was wholly at fault for the goal. Pogba not even challenging and whoever left Ritchie go were the most at fault, but still, everything Smalling did was just woeful, and should have conceded a penalty too.

Oh, I forgot about the dive. That was a genuine LOL moment. You shouldn't dive if you're over 6ft. The lack of a low centre of gravity just makes it look hilarious. What a fanny.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Is Lindelof still alive? Surely he's a better option than Smalling (and Jones some weeks).
Lindelof was costing us a goal most matches. He might be possible to wheel out if we're playing a very poor team at home, but no way in the aways.

Ekeke

What? He did track his man. But hes goalside meaning he'd have to cut through his man to win the ball. It was very smart play from the Newcastle player who managed to find a teammate by going backwards with his flick. But most teams would have more than 1 player tracking a runner and not leave all that space to pop up in and score the goal

Irrational.

Any defender with decent footwork turns that into another attack.

Smalling just panicked and lost all composure, like he usually does. Look at United defenders of past and what they should be aspiring to, and then look at Jones and Smalling. They have a lot of improving to do, but I'm not sure with their abilities that is possible.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
His general performance was shoddy as feck. Saying he's a scapegoat doesn't work when people are criticising about half the team for poor performances.

Classical Mechanic

He stepped out nicely at one point in the first half, took the ball and then proceeded to pass it to Valencia who was behind him but managed to pass about 5 metres behind him. Just sums him up when he is one the ball.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, he was proper shit today, and I bloody love that awkward lump. I don't think he was wholly at fault for the goal. Pogba not even challenging and whoever left Ritchie go were the most at fault, but still, everything Smalling did was just woeful, and should have conceded a penalty too.

Oh, I forgot about the dive. That was a genuine LOL moment. You shouldn't dive if you're over 6ft. The lack of a low centre of gravity just makes it look hilarious. What a fanny.
It looked like he thought he was getting smashed in a challenge, and was pre-empting it.
It didn't come, he was already committed to going down, and quickly got up.

I was slightly surprised the ref gave it, as he wasn't claiming it.

Ekeke

Fans have to scapegoat someone!

Yes the "dive" was a strange one, but we had loads back for that free kick, yet still matey can cruise into an empty box and have an easy shot.

Martial and Sanchez should have scored before we'd even got into talking about this.
Agree. But yeah the dive was silly

Seanus

Lindelof was costing us a goal most matches. He might be possible to wheel out if we're playing a very poor team at home, but no way in the aways.
Nonsense-agree he had a shaky start but he improved a lot over the last few appearances. I'd have him or Rojo ahead of Smalling. Jones was reasonable today but can't wait for Bailly to get fit again-anyone know when that will be?

Ekeke

:lol::lol: Why am I not surprised that it's you that tries to stick up for Smalling.

This thread is about Smalling and not other players and almost everyone can agree he was shite today.
He wasnt at his best today, where have I said otherwise?

AdNani

That’s just not true. He’s looked awkward at times but he’s not costing a goal most matches, I’d start him next game, if only not to watch the dreadful build up from the back

Axkiko

Mentally weak. Dives and gets carded and immediately loses focus and gets dragged out of position for the goal. He's only good enough to be 4th choice for a title winning team. That mean we need another top quality centre back. Right now we have too many liabilities at centre back.
He is nowhere to United level, even Burnley central defender are better.

Bobski

Pogba allowing a man 6 inches shorter than him to win the ball uncontested from the free kick was the main mistake for the goal. Smalling giving away a free kick 40 yards out is not ideal but we should be dealing with it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That’s just not true. He’s looked awkward at times but he’s not costing a goal most matches, I’d start him next game, if only not to watch the dreadful build up from the back
He definitely was in his first games.

There's a reason Smalling and Jones comfortably keep both him and Rojo out.
When Bailly's back I expect he'll play with Jones though.

AdNani

He definitely was in his first games.

There's a reason Smalling and Jones comfortably keep both him and Rojo out.
When Bailly's back I expect he'll play with Jones though.
He then had a run in the side where he looked solid, to be dropped for no reason. Smalling and Jones have been far from solid the last two games

Status
Not open for further replies.