Film Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer'

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Such anticipation for a movie for which we know the plot. Love it.

Gonna be my second trip to the IMAX in eight days.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Can you hear the dialogue or does the music DUN DUN all over it?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Dunkirk is incredible. The sound design in that film alone is phenomenal. Great piece of filmmaking.

Think I'm gonna have to see Oppenheimer in IMAX. Seems like a film that's going to demand it.
Boring as batshit and totally missed the human drama of the small ship armada doing repeated journeys to save people.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Films about past events can absolutely be relevant. What point are you trying to make?
I am not making any point, I am just wondering why a movie about something that happened 100 years ago would be the most important movie in this century?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
First time I'll be going to the cinema in a few months. Can't wait to watch it. Think i'm gonna have to do IMAX. Aside from Tenent, Nolan hasn't let me down yet

I am not making any point, I am just wondering why a movie about something that happened 100 years ago would be the most important movie in this century?
Why would a movie about the worst man made event in history be an important lesson for the future and therefore an extremely important movie?

Nope, got me.

Sweet Square

Why would it be "the most important movie"?

Is it about bomb they are making for the future?
If I had to guess it would be because of Nolan using imax rather than the actual plot. Schrader is of course an incredible writer but he is also into film style.

But I could completely be wrong.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Place your bets on the general vibe of the movie.

I think it will be very similar to The Imitation Game in terms of writing, structure and atmosphere. Just turn the pace up 20%. It will probably be much more visually interesting though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hopefully it’s better than his recent films which have gone down several notches

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Not sure if serious.
Why would a movie about the worst man made event in history be an important lesson for the future and therefore an extremely important movie?

Nope, got me.
Go tell me please then? Do you think it will help people make less bombs in the future?

If I had to guess it would be because of Nolan using imax rather than the actual plot. Schrader is of course an incredible writer but he is also into film style.

But I could completely be wrong.
Fair enough, I guess we will have to watch and see.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
You can't be so obtuse, surely.
Less obtuse than people who use ridiculous superlatives just because it's Nolan. You can say the movie is one of the best ever, I would have no problem with it if I haven't seen it yet. But most important in this century? Give me a break.

Halftrack

Boring as batshit and totally missed the human drama of the small ship armada doing repeated journeys to save people.
Aye, saw it right after I'd seen 1917 and it was just such a boring slog by comparison. Definitely one I'll never watch again.

Go tell me please then? Do you think it will help people make less bombs in the future?
Feck me mate, films have massively impacted society and pop culture, Jaws was fecking horrendous for sharks and a kids Disney film actually had a profound effect on hunting, so much so that we have a term now coined the Bambi effect.

Watching movies regarding historical events absolutely can absolutely have an effect on society.

But sure, keep being obtuse.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Feck me mate, films have massively impacted society and pop culture, Jaws was fecking horrendous for sharks and a kids Disney film actually had a profound effect on hunting, so much so that we have a term now coined the Bambi effect.

Watching movies regarding historical events absolutely can absolutely have an effect on society.

But sure, keep being obtuse.
When did exactly I say that films can't make an impact?

Are you going to tell me how exactly this movie is going to be the most important one in this century or are you going to continue call me names without actually answering to my question?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It is hard to call it the most important movie of the century when it’s not even the most important film released that day

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Are you going to tell me how exactly this movie is going to be the most important one in this century or are you going to continue call me names without actually answering to my question?
Have you seen it?

I’m not no, a well reknowned screenwriter with 50 years in the industry and behind movies like Taxi Driver & Raging Bull has that opinion though and considering the subject matter, I can imagine why.
I haven’t seen the film myself mind to have an opinion either way, have you seen it? Because it appears you haven’t yet you bizarrely already hold an extremely strong opinion about it. :confused:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Have you seen it?
No, that's why I am wondering/asking how it could be that - the most important movie in this century. I am literally repeating the same question in every post, and yet you don't understand it. Quite rich of you to call me obtuse by the looks of it. I am genuinely asking simple question, because this century has had million of films, and I am quite sure many had far more important role in this world or even filmmaking.

I’m not no, a well reknowned screenwriter with 50 years in the industry and behind movies like Taxi Driver & Raging Bull has that opinion though and considering the subject matter, I can imagine why.
I haven’t seen the film myself mind to have an opinion either way, have you seen it? Because it appears you haven’t yet you bizarrely already hold an extremely strong opinion about it. :confused:

Opinion, I was just asking simple question to which no one has answered yet. But yet many of you were baffled by that question for some reason.

Opinion, I was just asking simple question to which no one has answered yet. But yet many of you were baffled by that question for some reason.
It’s been answered plenty, because it’s a character/case study about the most horrendous man made event in human history.
And because movies can and do effect society, some of them (JAWS, Bambi) on a pretty grand scale.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

No, that film was Tenet. Basically they have to stop a bomb going forward in time from going backwards in time, and to do this they have to go backwards forwards through time. But there's people going forwards backwards through time who want to not stop the bomb from not being stopped, because if it goes backwards backwards through time then it goes forwards and kabloowee, kablammo. Then the Americans built a nuclear bomb to stop things going forward and Oppositeheimer had a reverse-breakdancing non-competition with his backwards self, who is the opposite of Oppositeheimer. Best dance loses.

feckin' still pitching that idea to studio execs again. I think because of the writer's strike I might have a chance this time.

Pickle85

No, that film was Tenet. Basically they have to stop a bomb going forward in time from going backwards in time, and to do this they have to go backwards forwards through time. But there's people going forwards backwards through time who want to not stop the bomb from not being stopped, because if it goes backwards backwards through time then it goes forwards and kabloowee, kablammo. Then the Americans built a nuclear bomb to stop things going forward and Oppositeheimer had a reverse-breakdancing non-competition with his backwards self, who is the opposite of Oppositeheimer. Best dance loses.

feckin' still pitching that idea to studio execs again. I think because of the writer's strike I might have a chance this time.
:lol:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
It’s been answered plenty, because it’s a character/case study about the most horrendous man made event in human history.
And because movies can and do effect society, some of them (JAWS, Bambi) on a pretty grand scale.
So you don't think even some average film like Contagion that actually warned people about possible pandemic is more important than character case study movie? Contagion is the first movie from top of my mind that I mention that was by the looks of it far more important than Oppenheimer.

:lol: